Fragrance Reviews from May 2006

Hope1's avatar
    Hope1

Dior Addict 2 by Christian Dior

Dior Addict 2 (nothing like the original Addict) has really surprised me. At first sniff it was just another light, summer youthful fragrance. Then a few minutes later the fresh teenage topnotes had gone and were replaced with soft, sweet, summery notes. By the end of the day it had developed into a sexy, playful and yet quite mature fragrance with quite a bit of soul. Lovely. This is a lighter alternative to Coco Mademoiselle which I usually wear.

Hypnotic Poison by Christian Dior

Two thumbs way up for this! I absolutely love this scent! It's so yummy! The jasmine and vanilla really stand out and make it super-sexy to wear. I will always have this in my wardrobe!

Dream Angels Heavenly by Victoria's Secret

This is my first go-to scent. It's a light, powdery floral that is perfect for casual and daytime use. I'm on my second bottle now! Fragrance type: vanilla Oriental
    Top notes: quince, cardamon, wild ivy, mandarin
    Middle notes: waterlily, white peony, freesia, iris, violet, poppy
    Low notes: white musk, sandalwood, orchid vanilla

Extraordinary by Avon

To me, this smells like a one of those chocolate oranges that you whack on the counter and they fall apart. It smells good, but I don't want to smell like a chocolate orange all the time.

scody's avatar
    scody

Blu Notte by Bulgari

Fantastic, rich fragrance with a subtle spicy kick from the ginger that crystallizes into the hint of cocoa and a full-bodied iris note. I'm crazy about it (and so's my boyfriend!). Definitely my current favorite -- my only quibble is that I wish it had a little more longevity.

Palais Jamais by Etro

Sorry, I don't like it. It smells synthetic (probably the rubber...I don't know if that's a natural tea quality or not, but I don't like it) and medicinal. I usually like tea frags, but this totally doesn't work on me.

Geir by Geir Ness

I'm joining the thumbs up squad. While it's certainly not perfect, as many here make it out to be, it's very pleasant for the most part. That's the word that best sums it up: pleasant. True, it isn't terribly unique, and it even borders on being too sweet much of the time, but it never bothers me or anyone else.

It starts out with a fruity fresh smell mixed with a few dabs of honey. When it starts to dry, you get less fruit, more wood, and still that sweet vanilla/honey thing. As it progresses, I get more and more wood, with a grassy smell that I don't like too much creeping in. It might be the only scent that I own that I find has a worse base than top. It's not bad by any means, just a little bitter and sour smelling at the very end (could just be my skin). Still, the vast majority of the evolution is great, so it gets a hearty thumbs up!

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

It is indeed very subtle. I don't find it to be very fem, just a little sweet and edible. I love the lavender...it seems to offset some of the potential cloying qualities of the caramel/chocolate heart and base. When i wear it, I feel classy and calm.

tinker424's avatar
    tinker424

Le Parfum de Thérèse by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I completely agree with helg. I want to like but the melon is overbearing. Not for me:(

tinker424's avatar
    tinker424

Enchantress by Stacked Style

This smells like Pink Sugar, maybe a little heavier. There is not a big difference between the two but I prefer Pink sugar.

Troy28's avatar
    Troy28

L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain

I just wanted to add that Le'Heure Bleue was Cinema Goddess Jean Harlow's favorite perfume.

Jessica McClintock by Jessica McClintock

Very pungent sweet floral. Reminds me of a cologne younger girls - ages 10-12 - might wear. I much prefer McClintock Number 3 and her newer Silk Ribbons.

Eau Parfumée au Thé Vert Extreme by Bulgari

Very unique and more intense version of Au The Verte. I like the green tea note - and like it's afore mentioned predecesor, it reminds me of a day at the spa! FRESH! Classy too! I would love to sample this on my husband...

zztopp's avatar
    zztopp

Michael Jordan by Michael Jordan

A pretty decent sporty fresh scent. It cant compete with some of the more sophisticated fresh scents out there like Creeds MI or Green Irish Tweed..however, longevity is good.

I use it for casual sporty events, or when working out at the gym.

Millésime Impérial by Creed

I would like to revise my earlier review. Maybe I was testing from a faulty batch (Creed and their batch issues!), but in recent tests from a different decant, and from various bottles at Nieman, Imperial has demonstrated respectable lasting power for a fruity aquatic, and sports some serious hidden depth, what with the ambergris and all.

But don't want to go into a detailed notes discussion. That's been done accurately below, and I'm not so great at that anyway. Yes, it's a melon-floral aquatic...done perfectly. Yes, this is a played out theme. But MI is the alpha and omega of that theme - the pinnacle, even though it predates the theme's emergence. There comes a point when you just have to say, damn, this smells good.

01st May, 2006 (Last Edited: 08 December, 2010)

DrBubba's avatar
    DrBubba

Bois du Portugal by Creed

To me, this smelled like Chaps, the old drug store cologne by Ralph Lauren.

I can't decide if I like it or not, but that's what I got out of it....Chaps. Oh...and flashbacks from 7th grade.

Dry_Martini's avatar
    Dry_Martini
    Spain Spain

Eau Sauvage Extrême by Christian Dior

Esta fragancia es horrible,regalesela a su peor enemigo,realmente lo peor que he olido

Joel_Cairo's avatar
    Joel_Cairo

Eau Parfumée au Thé Vert by Bulgari

Subtle, clean, fresh, a touch of pepper- this unisex masterpiece is indeed a CK One for the next generation. But instead of the vaguely rude synthetic feel characteristic of Calvin Klein scents, this time around the unisex 'second-skin' tea is done by the masters of tea; Bvlgari brings their signature discretion and subtelty to the recipe. Jean-Claude Elena at his finest, The Vert does indeed recall spas at the Ritz-Carlton. One of the 'healthiest' feeling fragrances I've ever worn.

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

I had many doubts about this scent, due to its huge fame, thinking: not another cheap smell sold under an expensive name. At first, i didn't smell anything- it reminded me of a very neural scent and almost of an ouourless substance. Before i ended thinking about this aspect, it became even worse- i had the feeling of smelling like overheated tea, with lots of honey in it, very little weak herbal essences used for tea and much more honey. But even this impression flew away fast and what remained was a pleasant aquatic drydown, which was comfortable to wear, yet was not much more specia tha the aquatic scents by fellow Japanese label Kenzo( to whom this one strinkingly resembles) or the equally well-known Boss Elements Aqua.

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

First i avoided this scent due to its aggressive marketing, speculating a gay connotation for commercial reasons, even more campy, vulgar and unrestrained like the Calvin Klein adverts full of provocative sexuality and androgynous gender. I'm not much into the idea of a sailor or an old fashioned bathing suit as a sexual fetish, especially not when it comes to scents.
    Besides, the association with a sailor or a bathing suit made me believe i had to expect an aquatic fragrance, light and refreshing, exhaling a watery, airy, unpredictable sensuality ( changing like the waves and tides of the sea).
    I couldn't have been more wrong, as this one is so extremely macho and dry,up to the point that it reeks. However there is one thing reminding of the sea, I always had the sensation of being on a ship full of spices, exotic fruits, strange essences, raw materials, all genuine, bot most of them in a very brute, bare state, that is before the refinement and experience of a skilled hand turns them into exquisite perfumes, meals or objects, even slightly decaying, towards a hint of moist wood.
    One the down side, this perfume is heavy with vile, synthetic smelling notes, halfway between cheap sandalwood incense sticks frankincense( which make the air in very stuffy and suffocating church intoxicating) and the sweaty tones of many hyper-cheap synthetic sweet surrogates trying to smell like tobacco
    ( just check out Cuba, Cigar etc. and you'll find out)- oddly even this disturbing part seems to be harmonious, as cheap incense and cheap, sweat tobacco imitation are fit for each other.
    However as i waited i discovered its good half too, in spite of the initial deterrence, i also identified very exquisite, yet quite one-dimensional notes of spice, it felt like all of the loads of exotic merchandise were transferred to a very high-end kitchen belonging to a wealthy old-school residence. Raw, powerful notes with an almost edible feel- vanilla, cocoa, even a hint of cappuccino, coffee or other hot drink spiced with cinnamon, generic wintry essences used to enhance punch, caramel and toffee. All of these in a very puristic and surprisingly masculine interpretation, the sweetness being counterbalanced by a pungent, dark bitter note of berries, wood and pepper, slightly resembling the overtly Oriental Opium PH launched in the same year. It still got better towards the end, the notes of Tonka and Amber giving adding to it partly a hint of old cognac like Escada for men, partly an amber, leathery, very carnal, very smoky-powdery, almost tobacco like Gothic ending, reminding me of powerful, excessively, addictive masculine creations like Tabac, Old Spice, Aramis Azzaro,Caractere, Drakkar, Heritage and Rocabar. I definitely have to try it out again and judge it more carefully, it is not a comfortable, nor a predictable scent for me and further analysis might keep lots of pleasant and unsavory surprises waiting, changing my rating towards significantly higher or lowers values.

02 May, 2006 (Last Edited: 23 December, 2009)

Armani Mania by Giorgio Armani

The bottle is the most creative and artistic part about this.
    The actul content is not bad, but it doesn't live up to the name of Armani. The first impression that i got was a very powdery feeling, closely resembling Roma Uomo and a verious range of Emporio male scents- strangely, even closer to Roma Uomo than to the Emporio scents, yet without Roma's lasting power, luxurious, conspicuously extravagant texture. The drydown brought a very easy to wear everyday scent, making it lighter than i first thought, even if, especially in male scents, the more powerful and heavy notes seem to last and to be remebered. However, as the powdery notes drew to a close, a very aquatic and clean smell lingered, not very exclusive, i might even say too casual to wear the name of Armani, much more similar to a pleasantly, yet commonly smelling cream based on Aloe Vera. At least it is not vile and synthetic, not as uselessly sweet, sporty and fruity like other easy-to-wear, casual underage wearer-type, "young" colognes like Aqua di Gio or Hugo. This one is a little more discreet and mature, less offensive, yet poor lasting power and far too neutral to have an attitude.

Samouraï by Alain Delon

One of the scents i consider neutral, both as rating and as actual scent and lasting power. Not bad, with bearable green and vetyer notes, still, after a while i seem to smell only the tarragon among the listed ingredients and its herbal coolness, but that's about it. Plus it developes a very indecisive, tough not unplesant, sweetness of an almost unperceptible and very apid sort. I would compare this to Jil Sander for men, both in smell and extremely short-lived lasting power. Visually, the box and the bottle almost seem to compensate, if not its flaws, that its overdone simplicity.

lasombrachica's avatar
    lasombrachica

Muguet de Bois by Coty

I have loved this sweet green scent for years too. very neo victorian floral.

lelando's avatar
    lelando

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

This is a standard that should be on any refined gentleman's fragrance shelf. Just strong enough to announce your presence, but not overbearing or overwhelming. The ladies I know (including the most important one in my life) tell me this one makes thier knees buckle. The great thing about it is, that while women swoon - it is still classy enough to be worn to the office. The sandlewood and floral notes in this combine to project an image of refined power. One that doesn't have to be brash or braggy - just confident. I love this scent.

02 May, 2006 (Last Edited: 09 November, 2006)

Renato's avatar
    Renato

Burberry for Men by Burberry

Well, I've read all the other reviews and am a bit nonplussed. This is plainly and unambiguously a minty scent to my nose, yet no one else appears to see it that way. I like the scent, but don't often feel compelled to wear it. However, I was amazed that my ladyfriend was totally wrapped in it, and thought it one of my best.
    Renato

scody's avatar
    scody

Falling In Love by Philosophy

Recently bought this on a whim at Sephora. Nice, light, casual floral. On me, it has a top note that's close to cotton candy -- it would be cloying if it were any heavier or if it had much longevity, but since it's such a light fragrance it works.

Red Door by Elizabeth Arden

As more fragrance samples wet my wrists, I am learning that rose notes are quirky with my chemistry...on rare occasion, there is a dewy sweet velvet petaled blossom that comes alive when I wear it, HOWEVER, the rose in Red Door is NOT one of those blooms. It goes bitter/sour on me - and VERY cloying.

Ellen Tracy (new) by Ellen Tracy

An intricate blend of flowers, sandalwood and tonkabean unite to create this modern scent. I find it extremely wearable...makes me anxious to try the other Ellen Tracy fragrances! You might catch me wearing this one anytime, anywhere! (Reminds me a little of Versace's Crystal Noir or Arden's Red Door Reavealed - ONLY it is more tempered than either of those, and as I mentioned; VERY WEARABLE!)

L'Or de Torrente by Torrente

Black currant and tangerine at the top combine to release a very fresh & only slightly fruity tone that does a superb balancing act with the coffee and rose in the heart (nope, I don't smell the coffee but mention it; as it is listed as an official note). I also believe the fruit notes keep the rose from cloying - preserving its' freshness. The base note of vanilla orchid is the real hook for me! Simple and elegant fragrance. The bottle is a real vanity accessory!

Red Door Revealed by Elizabeth Arden

This fragrances' fair bouquet is well grounded in a moderate amber base. In fact, it's the amber in this mix that really cinches it for me. It is mild and wears close to the skin. Very faint after an hour or two, but will probably wear better in the heat of summer. Thankfully, this version meshes with my chemistry MUCH better than the original RD. A definite thumbs up!