Fragrance Reviews from May 2006

fragrantone's avatar

Lolita Lempicka by Lolita Lempicka

I just bought a small bottle of this yesterday after using up two Sephora samples.

At first, I didn't care much for it, but that anise note is like a drug. The drydown (on me, anyway) is pure vetiver, here very dirt-like, and somehow so compelling. I've made a fool of myself many a time, snorfling the dry LL on my wrist in public.

fragrantone's avatar

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

My father wore this in the late '80s, when I was an older teen. Mother liked it all right, in fact she'd bought it for him; but she'd become ENRAGED when they were going out, since he overapplied and his scent totally overpowered her Paris or Miss Dior. Good times.

Hanoian's avatar

Lys Méditerranée by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I love this because, unlike so many fragrances out there, it isn't a chaotic haze of intermingling notes; it's the pure, poignant scent of lilies.

Marmoset's avatar

Miel de Bois by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Miel de Bois is one of the fragrances I call a Weird Animal: You can't just walk up to one and start petting it, you have to let it come to you. It's not easy, and there's much suspicion on both sides, but once it gets comfortable with you there's nothing in the world like a Weird Animal letting you touch its fur.

This is royal-jelly-in-an-oak-box honey. Raw, wild, nearly harsh. Honest honey, not the sugar-syrup honey one might expect. And such dry, fresh wood behind it. This is what a bear's paws smell like after a Rather Profitable Day in the sun.

Absolutely love it. From concept to execution this is an utterly unique fragrance.

mentallo's avatar

Paul Smith for Men by Paul Smith

Horrible. I don't like this stuff at all. I thinks its just a personal thing. there is something about it that makes me gag

Envy for Men by Gucci

I tried Gucci Envy first and I did think it smelt woody but it was springtime so I didn't know how good it was.Is this fragrance overpowering,Long lasting or just plain.I want to get it but I am not that sure.Can you please help me with that?

Joop! Jump by Joop!

Can anybody tell me how many hours Joop Jump lasts on your skin.Is it a strong fragrance that fills the whole room or is it an ordinary fragrance. I want to get Joop but I am not sure how good it is.Can you please help me?

Cool Play by Lacoste

This fragrance smells cool and fresh.I would definitely recommend this to anyone who is sporty.I would just like to know how long does this fragrance last on your skin?.Is it overpowering or just boring?

Blue Jeans by Versace

synthetic candied tobacco scent.. smells faily cheap, and though inexpensive.. I don't see a real need for it.. Not bad, but nothing special.

Elements Aqua by Hugo Boss

Very different take on Aqua fragrances. Most scents that claim themselves "aquatic" tend to be fresh, watery.. short lasting.. brief in depth.. but Elements has a sweetness to it..one that almost echoes Lacoste PH, but more "fun" and less one dimensional.. but equally synthetic... a nice drydown and possesses quite an impressive amount of sillage and longevity for a mere aqua scent!

Envy for Men by Gucci

Gucci envy screams mischief. It's a hypnotic, woody bittersweet green fragrance.. that is exremely well blended and works wonders with my skin. It's very sensual and sexy and the sillage is incredible. The occasional waft of this elixir takes my breath away and for a green/oriental blend.. this scent works wonders in heat. The more I sweat, the more it comes alive.. and shouts. "Come hither, my dear...". The Gucci Envy serpent slithers way with subtlety into the olfactory system.. and grips your senses.. with its deliciously sensual fangs.. Envy = Enjoy...

Insensé Ultramarine by Givenchy

A rather vast improvement on the floral pungent oddity that is Insense. With a strong marine accord, the flowers have been muted, and a salty sea note has been added to create a fragrance that is reminiscent of a slightly sweeter version of Kenzo PH.. in bloom. The opening notes can be a little overwhelming on the senses, but if you can hang on through to the drydown.. I find it to be quite nice on the skin, in contrast to what a lot of basenoters think.

Joop! Homme by Joop!

Oh boy.. Joop!.. what to say.. I smelled this fragrance on a test card primarily, and was quite intrigued by it's cough syrupy... cherry chiclet aroma.. Unfortunately when I actually spritzed in one my own skin I couldnt handle the smell that arose from the ordeal, and trust me..sweetness in fragrance isn't something I shy away from... It's just too much.. much too much

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

Very fresh very floral, very unique fragrance. Manages to pull off watery/flowery without being overly feminine. A moonlit walk by a sparkling pond. Not a light fragrance, be careful when applying. On nice summer days when I don't feel like slathering on the spice or sweetness of a lot of frags, I turn to L'eau D'issey. The Yuzu and Lily come off as quite soothing. I know a lot of people that found this frag to turn sour on their skin, so as always.. better to test before purchase!

Miracle Homme by Lancôme

The best way to describe this scent is.. D&G PH, with a "smile". Interestingly, though the notes in the two fragrances are very different.. i get a very subtle tobacco scent..probably generated from a mix of the bitter coffee and other notes... but a much lighter and very slight take on the tobacco flavour than scents like Dreamer and D&G. Much more alive, and floral.. and appealing.. Miracle is a great fragrance, and one that doesn't get enough attention. Longevity and Sillage are average... Great daytime scent.

Nightflight by Joop!

The word that best described Joop! Nightflight is "clean".. almost clean to the point of being a household scrubbing threat of a scent. Very fresh citrus burst to start things off.. and an equally pristine crystal clear drydown. Innofensive.. with a touch of "laundry on the line" freshness.. Nightflight, though not really to my taste.. is quite unique... and well developed, especially held in comparison to its pink cousin.

Pi by Givenchy

One dimensional take on sweet. Pure Vanilla with slight woods and florals. Apply with caution, as it can be very cloyingly sweet. Longevity and sillage are incredible with this fragrance and though the bottle is one of the most uniquely designed, the juice just isn't very wearable. On very cold evenings perhaps.. this is one "pi" that I won't be having seconds of! (that was even worse than my usual swill)

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

A slightly musty, crisp yet spicy fragrance reminiscent of men's shaving cream. In my opinion, this fragrance as a distance to it..a detached quality that reeks of confidence and masculity. With not even a remote hint of sweetness, this frag is a welcomed change to the predominance of Oriental/Gourmands in my collection.. I don't wear it frequently, but I hold it in high esteem..and see why it's a favorite. Unfortunately, I've received mostly negative 'geezer' comments regarding it.. with good sillage and longevity, in terms of quality..a top notch choice.

B*Men by Thierry Mugler

if A*Men is the unpredictable, exciting party animal of a sibling.. then B*Man is his more mature, conservative and reliable older brother. This isn't to say that B*Man doesn't have its own merits. It is pleasant enough to make an appearance on a fall evening, or among other cold weathered nights, but it just lacks the "pizzazz" that made A*Men a classic. And even upon holding B*Men in its own light, apart from A*Men..it still doesn't thrill me. It almost smells like wet woods mixed with grenadine..not a huge amount of depth or development. I don't dislike it as strongly as a lot of basenoters, but I do agree that of the two frags, A*Men blows this one out of the water.

Very Irrésistible for Men by Givenchy

Oh boy "Vench" why are you hurting me so? Maybe it's skin chemistry, but to me this comes off as nothing more than rotting orange peels, stale coffee with a hint of mint.. Great bottle, very creative frag direction for Givenchy, but very pooly executed, and blended for that matter. Too many notes clash and fight each other, rather than complimenting each other's individual strengths. Unfortunately the sillage and longevity are very good. Much better chocolate/coffee note scents on the market. IMHO

nicolastutor's avatar

Catalyst for Men by Halston

Got this when I turned 12. I recently found a 3.4 oz for 10 bucks at tj maxx. I had thought it was discontinued or something. I was glad to find it again. I think it smells the best in the spring, before it gets really hot. It's floral notes seem appropriate for spring.

oolong's avatar

Andron for Men by Jovan

I've been using this since the early 80's. Of all the colognes that I've ever used, this is the one that receives the most complements. While I have no way of scientifically measuring it’s ability to attract women, I find that I have good success when I have it on. Interestingly enough, in addition to having the much talked about pheromone aspect of the fragrance, a much lesser known aspect is that it is based on a fragrance formula recommended in Aliser Crowley's book on the occult, "Golden Dawn", as a way to attract women.

08 May, 2006 (Last Edited: 06 April, 2008)

Tovah's avatar

Mûre et Musc Extrême by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm. Mûre et Musc Extrême is a beautiful, warm, sexy musk with just a touch of blackberry. This is perfect for cool weather and cuddling. I love this even more than Mûre et Musc!

Tovah's avatar

Premier Figuier Extrême by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This is nice, but I don't like it as well as Premier Figuier. Premier Figuier Extrême is figgier and sweeter, and gets a little cloying. It smells nice, but I must prefer Premier Figuier.

No. 22 by Chanel

Me and my quirky chemistry...number 22 is soooooo powdery and dry on my skin, it comes off just like Kenzo Flower ~ which I call "Dr. Scholls Footpowder". Gladly though, there are so many excellent reviews by others. It can be lovely when on the right wearer!

Cristalle Eau de Toilette by Chanel

After reading the fragrance notes in Crystalle, I was all set to love this scent. However, after a squirt on the wrist all I could smell was lemon furniture polish surrounded by greens. Even though my body has rejected this particular potion, it has welcomed No.5, No.19 and Coco with a loving chemistry! When all is said and done ~ Chanel IS quality, and you certainly will find your love connection somewhere within their fragrance line!

Allure Eau de Toilette by Chanel

This is what I'd classify a "Nice" fragrance. It is pleasant enough, no offensive notes or off-color combinations. For my taste, it lacks vitality. A little too plain. I much prefer a scent with more variation & distinct evolution.

adamgottschalk's avatar

Eau de Cologne Impériale by Guerlain

Truly sublime. Impossible to describe. Unisex for sure. It smells like a fragrance that's been around forever and a day. Spicy and floral and herbal at once. Sophisticated without being stuffy at all. Suitable for formal and casual. The only down side is that, being a true EDC, it really doesn't last at all. Multiple applications per day. But then, this becomes the sort of thing you put on once or twice during the day, then switch to something more "nightly" after sundown. Never smelled anything like it. Unusual, unpredictable, fresh and new while being comfortable and immediately likable. Another Guerlain scent that really doesn't smell like "cologne" at all. More like a part of yoursel if you want it to be.

adamgottschalk's avatar

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme by Guerlain

So far I've tried two Guerlain scents, L'Instant and Eau Emperiale. If these two are good examples of their work, I'm hooked. The L'Instant is perfect, to my nose. I like it inparticular because it doesn't smell like "cologne"--somehow, it smells like really high quality talcum powder, but, of course, talc with a scent that sticks. Really hard to describe. I'd say unisex for sure. Sublime in the sense it has qualities that can't really be described. Floral and spicy and herbal at once. It changes after it's been on your skin a while. Suitable for both formal and casual, but something about it screams "intimacy" to me, like, rubbing noses with another, they'd be very pleased to smell this. Best of all, being an EDT, this sticks a lot better than the Imperiale, an EDC.

annachristine's avatar

Lolita Lempicka by Lolita Lempicka

This one is so sweet as to make me back away from the bottle -- and there is a slightly sharp top note that doesn't die down on me, staying very sweet and very aggressive. The bottle is lovely, I really wanted to like the scent, but it is unrelentingly sugary to me.