Fragrance Reviews from May 2006

Wood & Spices by Montale

I found Wood & Spices to be surprisingly sweet. For some reason, I was expecting dry woods and spices. I do get some incense in this one, and the cardamom - there's a friendly spiciness to it. I also get lots of vanilla or tonka or possibly benzoin (I can never tell those apart). If someone were looking for a high quality, niche version of say Pi, Opium, or maybe Body Kouros, this would be a good option. Very nice, approachable, and easily likable, but a bit sweet for my personal tastes. Still good overall.

Fougères Marines by Montale

Indeed there is something very familiar about this scent. I was thinking it might be similar to GIT, so I compared them side by side, and it's similar but different enough that GIT can't be the one I am thinking of. I am beginning to think it's Cool Water that I am remembering as being similar to Fougeres Marine, but I no longer have Cool Water to compare with this. Nevertheless, Fougeres Marine is rich and "green" but not herbal green, more like oakmoss and marine notes green, or calling to mind the color green. It lasts a very long time and projects a lot. It's fresh yet warm and rich. If someone likes GIT or Cool Water but wants to try a newer, niche alternative to those, this would be a great option. Classy, masculine, and yet also refreshing and mainstream enough to wear in many situations. I found myself sniffing my arm all day.

sjas1962's avatar

Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier

Once again a love it or hate it scent from JPG. I happen to love it. In my experience, the key to wearing his fragrances is application. Too much of this stuff and it could kill you, but a quick spritz and it can be terribly sexy. Its a bit of a changling also. Everytime I've worn it, its a bit different.

While the scent itself might not be as groundbreaking as Le Male, I think, you only have to break ground once and then build on your foundation. In my opinion, JPG has built up another level sure to cause a commotion. And I think that is exactly what he intended.

Tovah's avatar

Tubéreuse Criminelle by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

It's interesting to sniff Tuberose Criminelle (what a GREAT name!) but I can't imagine wearing it. I don't think I'll ever put it on my skin to try it again. It smells like hot asphalt, antiseptic, rubbing alcohol, and tuberose. It's the smell you might encounter when stuck in a hospital room on a hot day, while visitors bring in the send of outdoors on their bodies and clothing. The hospital smells mix with the asphalt and tuberose, giving a hint of what's outside, but can't be experienced. That's my observation of Tuberose Criminelle. My six year old son's observation, with crinkled nose,was, "Eeewww. What stinks?"

Allure Homme by Chanel

Smells good, but the Allure Sport is better with the aquatic touch that was put on it.

Chanel Pour Monsieur by Chanel

I love it. It's very powdery with a little hint of citrus. It has a subtle sweet smell. It's a classic cologne. It's essential.

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

It smells like salt and blood. I was watching Saw 2 when I first bought this cologne and it seriously made me sick to my stomach. Don't buy this. You'll regret it. If I ever smelt someone wearing it I would be completely turned off.

Aramis Life by Aramis

I started wearing it when I was like 15...well I stopped wearing it because I'm very materialistic. But it smells good.

Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

Weird enough Aramis Life was my favorite cologne for a long time. I loved the "aqua-like" smell that came with it. Overtime I started to enjoy the citrusy scent that Allure and Monsieur brought. When I came accross Allure Sport I first disregarded it but after further review it's my favorite male fragrance.

Pure Poison by Christian Dior

I use it as an air freshener.

Miss Dior Chérie (original) by Christian Dior

My favorite cologne ever created for women. I liked it so much I bought myself a bottle and I'm a guy! It smells like candy. I wore it once and got several compliments. Now I've worn SEVERAL colognes and I never got such positive responses for any like I did Miss Dior Cherie. Isn't that funny? It smells sweet but completely irrestible.

emad's avatar

Iran Iran

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme Summer 2006 by Issey Miyake

it is a mix of original issey + cacharel + LV
    it is subtle sexy and something special not something you will find every one wearin.
    i went to the market to buy obsession night or arpage homme and another aqua di gio my old aqua di gio is abot to finish and i ended with only buying issey summer and i am glad i i so

hermeneus's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Jil Sander Man Pure (new) by Jil Sander

Where does this scent go? It's so pure (read: light, fleeting, ephemereal, what have you) that it hovers on your skin like a butterfly – and then just dies. There's about half an hour of incredibly fresh scents, like mineral water and barely ripe juniper berries dancing on the topmost surface of citrus, but you certainly do need to refreshen that gin-like freshness. All in all, the very essence of joyful, uncomplicated cool. And fickle immaturity, sad to say.

Joel_Cairo's avatar

Good Life by Davidoff

ALong with Rive Gauche and Claiborne Sport, Good Life completes the triumverate of fragrances that, while not particularly original or even outstanding in composition, seems to garner innumerable compliments. RG is the sexy date one, CS is the casual weekend one and GL is the office/power one. For the person who wears cologne for the benefit of those around him, rather than for his own curiosity/appreciation, this highbrow-seeming green marvel is a winner.

La Perla by La Perla

I like this because you can't smell yourself coming.... It reminds me a bit of Opium because of the spiciness (I have aterrible nose and can't describe well.. :( It got staying power and gets you noticed... use sparingly otherwise you will kill people with scent..
    I much prefer it for winter-- it's too heavy for summer and spring

Calyx by Prescriptives

I stopped wearing this more than a decade ago and just found it again... I rather like it-- it's refreshing and doesn't get stuck inthe nose like a lot of the floraly fragrances do.. It's accessible and casual...

Champs-Elysées by Guerlain

I'd agree with Tropical... This scent is just so heavy and cloying on me -- it lasts - and lasts and lasts and just gave me a headache by the end of the day...

Falling In Love by Philosophy

I can barely smell this scent -- but when I wear it - I get more compliments on if from people who stand close to me - it's light - it's airy - it's just pretty and feminine...

marczilla's avatar

Jicky by Guerlain

This is my first review so bear with me. I'm a bit intimidated being new to the sophisticated fragrance world but my first date with Jicky forces me to write. I impulse bought it which i never do. As soon as it hit my skin the bracing lavender hit my nose. It was a bit much but i immediately started to smell the vanilla and spices warm it up. The lavender recedes a bit but hangs around quite a while on my skin. I do have to say it smells very masculine on me. It would take a bold women to pull this one off

's avatar

Bel Ami by Hermès

I swapped for Bel Ami blindly, based on some positive reviews I had read about it. I was needing something assertive and masculine in my collection, and a lot of people swear by it. Upon receiving the bottle, without even spritzing, I sniffed the top portion of the bottle, and instinctively turned away and muffled a gag. I have never reacted this strongly to a frag before in a negative sense. It is insanely sharp, overwhelming, relentless in its attack. Albeit, I am not a fan of leather scents to begin with, but this was beyond anything I had encountered. I don't think I could be within 10 feet of someone wearing this scent. Infact, just thinking about it makes me want to curl up in the fetal position and suck my thumb. I should probably bring up my Bel Ami exeperience in therapy.

's avatar

Arpège pour Homme by Lanvin

One of the only fragrance that a department store SA pushed on me that actually clicked. A very masculine sexy, spicy fruity pepper opening that is smoothed out quite luxuriously with a very nice vanilla base, but one that is quite atypical. I am a fan of many vanilla based scents, but this one has a very unique character. Classy yet soft, subdued but alive. Would suggest this fragrance to anyone who enjoys a pleasant sweetness in their scents but is tired of one-dimensional alternatives.

Centaure by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

One of my favorites. This is such an odd scent, to my nose it is divided against itself. The topnotes are sharp, brittle, dry, and almost off-putting lemon, mint, and lavender. As it dries, it gets softer, seeming to pick up a floral note or two, and then further into the drydown, the tobacco comes into play and it gets richer and almost buttery in feel. The black currant seems to add a touch of smoothness and plumpness in the middle and base that thickens the scent without making it sweet. It lasts a good long while on me, especially the tobacco part of it, and projects nicely. Finally, I can wear this in warm or cool weather, casual or formal (though I think I might like it best for warm weather, casual outdoor wear). An amazing scent that somehow both calms and invigorates me.

Pour le Jeune Homme by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Light, crisp, bright, dry citrus fragrance with an orange and slightly spicy tinge (maybe nutmeg, but I'm no expert at picking out individual notes). Fairly short-lived but very pleasant. Like nearly all MPGs I have tried, to me it smells incredibly "natural." It would be perfect for a hot, humid summer day, which might also help the longevity.

scentemental's avatar

Opôné by Diptyque

In *Opôné*, the saffron note is tightly blended with rose, spices, and wood notes, and what an exquisite, dry combination the achieved accord is. Dry yet luscious at the same time thanks to the rose (Rosa damascena, in this case), astringent yet perfectly balanced between the sweetness lusciousness of the rose and the astringent, woodsy spicy elements of the saffron echoed in the spice and wood notes themselves. It’s simple, and it’s very Mediterranean in its simplicity, but as with all such simplicity, one marvels at how such a combination works to produce such enchantment. This Mediterranean ethos is a decided and calculated ethos with Diptyque; its original founders were very much influenced and galvanized by their travels in Greece and the Mediterranean region in general.

Furthermore, *Opôné*, like all Diptyque fragrances, starts off strong and finishes strong, and, like most Diptyque fragrances, it doesn’t evolve much, which is fine by me because it smells so beautiful right out of the bottle. Diptyque fragrances have such presence and such an amazing tenacity. They’re pure, honest, and there’s a clarion quality to the tonality of their ingredients. *Opôné*, like all Diptyque fragrances, is intense from the first moment you spray it on to the last moment right before it fades, and Diptyque fragrances work like certain batteries which provide optimum performance and then all of a sudden just die out. I’ve never sampled scents with such redoubtable presence. I think the fact the company first made candles before it made scents might have a lot to do with the fact that their fragrances are a lot like their candles: they have amazing, redolent output right till they burn out.

For a similar experience of Saffron, Rose, and woods (in this case oudh), minus the spices, one should try Czech & Speake’s very accomplished *Dark Rose*, if one can find it. If you love rose as a key element in an accord, you'll more than likely love *Opôné*, which is, in my opinion, along with Dipytque’s own *L’Ombre dans L’Eau*, one of a handful of the truly great rose-based fragrances ever created.

scentmad01's avatar

Bandit by Robert Piguet

I love this perfume, in spite of being lauched in 1944 it really is rather modern. I get complimentary comments whenever I wear it.

scentmad01's avatar

Silver Rain by La Prairie

Yummy! I was given a small tester to try about 2 months ago and completely forgot I had it until today. Wearing it now, I love it, it's very sweet on me and has a warm dry down, very modern and exudes luxury. I have an overwhelming desire to buy a big bottle of it!

sherrie11's avatar

Blue by Ralph Lauren

I also like most of the RL fragrances - they just seem to work well on my skin, and they're affordable. Blue is a fresh, aquatic floral. The bottle is very pretty sitting on my dresser. It is cologne-like in that it is on the light side, but I find it surprisingly long lasting. I'm tired of it now but I have enjoyed it.

TheAntagonist's avatar

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

The tin bottle(can) makes this cologne seem light and somewhat cheap, when I first got a hold of it, I was actually skeptical about how much it's in the can. But I digress, This scent is wonderful, I adore it completely. Unfortunately, while it doesn't last very long on my skin, 4hours max.

QuietEarth's avatar

Antaeus by Chanel

Uh - aren't men's fragrances supposed to smell masculine? This has to be one of the softest, gentlest, most feminine smelling "male" scents I've ever tried. Noooooooo thanks.

QuietEarth's avatar

Polo Sport by Ralph Lauren

It just occurred to me that if this were a movie, it would be a light, fluffy, pointless Hollywood Romantic Comedy with Julia Roberts and/or Matthew McConnachy. It's a perfectly nice smell, but there's no depth to it, no complexity. It's oh-so-slightly tangier or sharper than Polo Blue but still, after the initial "hmm that's interesting", there's no more interest. Don't get me wrong - it's better than Eau de cigarette, but it never really gets past the peachy-keen, All-American, Star & Stripes, apple-pie cotton-candy veneer that is on the surface. Which is a shame. I expected more from Ralph Lauren. Oh, and it really doesn't last all that long, and it's hard pressed to make it's present felt after about an hour or so. Again, I own this particular "Polo" but come on, Ralph, you're letting me down! I'm expecting something better from that name!