Fragrance Reviews from May 2006

Crystal Noir by Versace

Crystal Noir reminds me terribly of a cheap perfume I wore in high school, some sort of berry/vanilla/musk monstrosity.

Lemon Sugar by Fresh

I love the Sugar body oil, which is theoretically the same scent as Lemon Sugar the fragrance, but . . . . Wow. As wearable as stringing a car air freshener around your neck. Starts off strong & fake, doesn't die down to anything, and then simply disappears after an hour or so. I really, really wanted to love this one.

Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès

I fell in love with this but made myself test it a half dozen times before breaking down and purchasing it in a duty-free shop. I can't say I know what a green mango smells like, but this seems like a not-overly-sweet mango mixed with lemon tea. Every so often I get a flash of reeds along a river--I am a sucker for advertising copy, so I distrust myself just a little on that note. But maybe a little fresh, green wood? It may be the perfect fragrance for summer but I am using it to get through a godawful Northwest winter.

Aramis 900 by Aramis

It begins with a strong, very dry citrus opening. The dryness (and richness), I believe, comes from the prominent rosewood, with help, I suppose from the herbals. I do get a fecal effect in the opening and periodically through the top and middle notes, and the accord continues to exude a fairly strong animalic element. There are also some aromatic grace notes — coriander and other greens — that, to me (but apparently not to some others) are rather elusive and serve mainly to provide a full spectrum to the texture of the fragrance. The florals of the heart replace the opening citrus seamlessly, and they meld into the rosewood for a perfect floral / wood accord from which I get a strong rose note — a rose note like few I’ve experienced before: deep, rich, wet, and earthy. Sometimes I also get a beautiful powder with the heart notes — other times, not. The base is classic and woody with the same prominent rosewood throughout with patchouli and vetiver added in to round it out beautifully. Aramis 900 is a wonderfully full fragrance — lethargically moving and fully enveloping from citrus to florals to its chypre base. It is strong in the sillage department and it has excellent longevity. The bottle says it is an herbal EDC, but I think that is misleading on two counts: First, it is comparable in strength to most EDT’s; Second, although it has a definite herbal / aromatic element, it certainly doesn’t contain the aggressive herbal notes that showed up several years later — typified by Polo. 900’s herbals fit subtly into the total fragrance pattern. They provide fullness, depth, and clarity — they dry out the total accord, but they don’t dominate to my nose.

Judging from the other reviews, this is a fragrance that evokes several different interpretations. Some mention its strong herbal or green content, others its strong floral content. Some mention the rose, and others suggest there is no rose there. Some think its feminine while others think it very masculine. I believe that these various strong reactions signify the fragrance’s depth and complexity. I, myself, get a potent rosewood content running all the way through the fragrance, with very strong animalic and rose notes. I get very little green or herbal, but I recognize that they are there. I get a beautiful rose and geranium accord. I think it’s a very masculine fragrance. I really love what I perceive of Aramis 900, and I value its incredible rarity. It is singular…and I doubt that it’ll be around for very much longer. Get it while you can.

05th May, 2006 (Last Edited: 09th March, 2008)

Bois du Portugal by Creed

Magnificent and elegant. Forceful elements made sheer and exquisite—a manifestation of the power of transformation. One wants this to never fade.

Chèvrefeuille Original by Creed

A solid honeysuckle / mint accord opens the scent and continues to dominate. Unfortunately the mint does very little to reduce the floral impact of the honeysuckle: At first it’s a rather sharp accord so it’s not overtly feminine but I think it’s feminine enough to keep me from wanting to wear it. As some other reviewers say, Chevrefeuille Original is crisp, clear and light, and I would agree; however, there are a lot of crisp, clear, and light fragrances that have more attraction and/or more subtle accords than this. This scent is not complex and it’s somewhat linear—there’s nothing genius here—it reaches ‘interesting,’ but that’s it. The dry down is very good, but still feminine and quite short-lived. I’ll pass on wearing this one.

Équipage by Hermès

Equipage blossoms with aromatic and aldehydic notes topping off first, an excellent orange / rosewood accord; and then, a more intense rosewood / mace accord. From the first sniff, both the breadth and the depth of this fragrance exhibit a distinguished complexity and an unexpected subtly. Equipage bespeaks sophistication.
    The floral center—with a carnation note dominating—is sharpened by a pine note while the cinnamon gives the carnation and pine a solid base. It is very floral but not ‘flowery’: This probably was daring in 1970, and it still holds its own thirty-six years later.
    The dry down seems a bit unusual for a fragrance of Equipage’s era. A touch of musk, then a very soft, pleasant moss / vetiver with tonka for sweetness and patchouli for a smoky etherealism. Again there is an elegant complexity and subtlety to the accord. I totally admire this fragrance for its depth, complexity, artistry, subtlety, engrossing fragrance, and lack of leather. This is a GREAT one.

One Man Show by Jacques Bogart

A pretend 80’s powerhouse. The bergamot / rosewood / cumin / incense in the opening tricks one into thinking there’s something great in store. The wood, spice, incense provide a bitterness that moves the fragrance into the ‘severe’ territory. Ordinarily I would like a dry, biting accord like this but this one is overdone because it doesn’t balance with anything and it’s not headed anywhere—there’s simply harshness. I can’t determine the florals in the mix—if they are there, they are overwhelmed. It stays especially dry / green / bitter on the skin without yielding up the variously claimed carnations, rose, or jasmine. The intensity is powerful at first, but it weakens. It loses projection and strength but not it’s roughness. It lasts for a reasonable length of dry down. The dry down is not bad—leather, moss, lots of wood, without much sweetness—but it is quite nondescript. In all, One Man Show is rough and substandard.

Orange Spice by Creed

Enjoy! Creed’s Orange Spice is a fun fragrance. It is bright and spicy and musky. Orangey—fake orangey— wonderfully synthetically orangey. This is an original that sets itself apart from the other Creeds as well as from other fragrances. Strong notes, no sublty, excellent projection, very good longevity, and fun. Yet given it rad nature, it stays Creedish in that it doesn’t really go over the top and it doesn’t settle down into cheap. What more could a person want than a Creed that can party?

Yohji Homme by Yohji Yamamoto

This is gourmand with extra class and craftsmanship. The first stage is very quiet and quite smoothed out by the creamy lavender. The anise / licorice are not very prominent and last only about an hour, but they bend the top notes significantly enough to create the gourmand aura—an ingenious subtlety. The mid notes are just a trifle stronger and, as far as I’m concerned, very classic—rosewood and cinnamon for depth and richness, geranium and carnation for the higher vibes and for liveliness. The coffee note appears faintly in the background. At this point I lose the fragrance. It just disappears, but this is only temporary. After about fifteen minutes the base appears out of nowhere. It’s excellent—cedar and rum are what I mainly get out of it. Yohji Homme is a beautifully designed and crafted scent, but…it is too translucent and subtle for my taste—it just doesn’t project enough and I’m NOT one who likes more than a bare minimun of sillage. Still, it is the most elegant of the gourmands that I have tried.

Zeste Mandarine Pamplemousse by Creed

An all-too-typical Creed performance: An excellent citrus prologue—bergamot, mandarin, and grapefruit mellowed and enriched by a wood note. Unfortunately the first act lasts all of five minutes before it dissolves into a second act of an extremely subtle floral / wood / nada / zilch. Third act? Well, …apparently not written. Fantastic trapdoor escape, though: Unbelievably fast exit…even for a Creed!

Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Not for me, and I know it’s likely my fault. To my nose, the castoreum overwhelms everything else and dominates for most of the duration to the exclusion of everything else. I find DZING! quite off-putting. Too bad…I like the concept.

Joe_Frances's avatar

L'Homme de Coeur by Divine

I didn't expect to like this, but tried it along with the magnificent L'Homme Sage when the samples came, and what do you know? I really liked this. I bought this! I will wear this a lot this summer. The iris is balanced against the bacing vetiver and other notes, and it is a perfectly acceptable masculine fragrance. It is perfect for warmer weather as it is decidedly cool aspect. It might be described as a French barbershop smell, very, very, very high end, very unique French barbershop. This is a truly great floral-cool-bracing fragrance that is unlike anything you have tried before. You will not smell like anyone else when you wear this, and only those you permit close access to your person will smell it, and appreaciate it. You will be very happy wearing this scent. Applied in the morning, it lingers like a lovely song til evening.

Joe

Joe_Frances's avatar

L'Homme Sage by Divine

L'homme sage is a slightly warm woodsy, spicy fragrance that is as seductive as it is subtle. It stays close to the skin after an hour, but will be with you all day. Some intimate closeness will reveal its specialness to others, and will honor the wearer with admiration and interest from those who have the pleasure of enjoying it with you. Spectacular in a manly, calm way. One of the best of the new. Must try.

Joe

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

What to say about Bvulgari Black. One of my favorite scents, despite it's lack of evolution. What you see is what you get.. as mentioned previously, you get your smoke, rubber and vanilla.. pretty much in that order... and the combination is something quite alluring. To me, it is reminiscent of Lolita for men, without the heavy Anise tone. Something about this fragrance reminds me of a freshly opened box of Christmas Ornaments. That being said, my one issue with this scent is the fact that on my skin it just doesn't last.. within 3 hours it has disappeared fully. Like a one night stand, Black is great while it sticks around.. but it always leaves me forlorn, staring into the rainswept streets.. pensively..

By Man by Dolce & Gabbana

Oh my do I love this fragrance. It is making its second "tour de force" in my wardrobe.. the first time it didn't really stick, but the second time around.. WOW... what a vibrant fragrance. It almost smells like less of a fragrance and more like some natural sex musk that she skin gives off.. the way it blends into your epidermis is incredible. I don't find it as potent as many others here do... and I find that it wears a little TOO close to the skin, but in warm weather..this scent really works its magic. Buy your BY today!

Escada Homme by Escada

Boozey, powdery, greasy... not for me. Even a more well crafted "Michael" is still a Michael. Effective at what it does, just not to my own personal liking...

Havana by Aramis

I received this much "talked about" fragrance in the form of a half-full 30oz bottle in a swap. I had such high expectations, and upon first sampling it I was taken back by how strong and chaotic the top-notes were. Infact I wasn't even sure I liked it. But over time, I found myself reaching for it again, and again and the more I wore it the more I grew to love this scent, especially its marvelous dry-down. The Tobacco note is a lot warmer and sweeter than that of.. say, the Dreamer. A very well made fragrance, one that commands attention and one that screams masculine, assertive yet sensual. Warm Tobacco with spice, hints of sweetness and an overall smooth headiness that is unequalled.

Kenzo pour Homme by Kenzo

This salty marine conconction intrigues me to no end. It's real, unabashed and brave. Unfortunately I rarely find an opportunity to wear it and those around me often dislike it immensely. It kind reminds me of a less floral, better made version of Insense Aquamarine. I reach for Laguna PH much more often, to get my salty oceanic fix. This is certainly a work, and one that I enjoy having in my collection, but not one that comes out to play all that often.

Visit by Azzaro

This one was a grower on me. At a time where I was gravitating to Orientals and Gourmands, this seemed very out of place in my wardbrobe. The initial burst of pepper was a little strong for my palate, but it does infact settle into one of the "coldest" feeling drydowns I have experienced. The Woody/spicy tone of this fragrance would suit a damp rainy afternoon quite well. For me this is one of my "moody" scents, and one I keep out of my rotation in warm and inviting weather. For fans of scents like M7, Gucci PH, Gucci Rush and so on.. this should be a staple..

Roma Uomo by Laura Biagiotti

Roma is simply Minotaure's less vicious cousin. Actually, if you remove Minotaure's offputting orange note, invite Hannae Mori to the party and make sure that Jacomo has his Paradox close by... throw the three into a cake pan and bake for half an hour.. you have ROMA! It kicks off with a very Paradox like freshness, almost a minty character... then melts into a smooth blend of spices and vanilla that is very reminiscent of Minotaure and Hannae Mori. Personally, I think that Roma does the whole quasi Oriental/Gourmand thing a lot better than the other two, and in less cloying fashion and if it weren't for such a poor longevity.. this scent would be pretty close to perfect, in my opinion. Lighter than many gourmands/Orientals, this frag is a little more versatile than scents like Opium/A*Men and so on.

Salvador Dali pour Homme by Salvador Dali

I get what this scent is trying to do... dark, brooding, thick.. smokey, but to be honest it's a little much. The floral notes clash with the smokey character in a way that makes my scent glands want to run to the next province and bury themselves in the sand. This fragrance is like a train wreck.. it intrigues me, I look every now and then.. but regret when my curiosity takes me to that unfortunate place.

Tel Quel by Yves Rocher

I received this fragrance as a throw in on a swap, and was very pleasantly surprised. It's a very sweet and fruity scent, one that evokes a sort of tropical mood, but not in the aquatic/fresh sense. Whenever I wear Tel Quel, I am reminded of coconut milk, pina coladas.. more of a sweet tropical cocktail of a scent.. in a really unique coloured bottle as well. If you get a chance, give it a go!

Brit for Men by Burberry

Welcome to one of the most versatile scents in my wardrobe. Wonderful powdery sweetness that manages to be masculine yet avoids the Alpha-Male cliches that a lot of frags do. Brit can be worn just about anytime and is very inoffensive. A great "blend in" scent, and as previous posts have mentioned.. one that gets a lot of positive feedback.. That being said, it is also one that is worn quite frequently here in Ottawa, Canada... but nonetheless, i love my brit and wear it quite frequently..

Truth Calvin Klein Men by Calvin Klein

One of my least liked fragrances. To me it smells nothing more of synthetic grassy water. Doesn't last at all on me either. Just can't see a reason to wear this mess of a fragrance, even as a light summery option. Better alternatives out there, better executed ones.

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Oh my god Anthony, you smell like a church! was the comment that my girlfriend at the time made when I came home wearing this after treating myself to a birthday purchase. Great cold weather woodsy insency fragrance that has a very gothic majestic, confident feel to it. This isn't a clubbing fragrance..

Aramis Life by Aramis

This fragrance frustrates me more than Andre Agassi's bald head. I love the fragrance's opening... a fresh and exuberant burst of aquatic and fruity goodness, but very soon after that.. the smell turns quite sour on my skin, which is not something desired in a fresh modern fragrance. Could be cucumber note that stands out and upsets me so. Could have been great Aramis.. could have been swell, but Mr. Agassi didn't wear on me so well.

Bois d'Argent Cologne by Christian Dior

I had high hopes for this fragrance, but halas it let me down. It's not as though it's a "bad" scent, and it is infact very well made... I just find that the honey base is too strong and that the other notes don't balance it out enough for it to appeal to me. Other reviewers are bang-on when they describe Bois D'Argent as a buttery sweet concoction and succeeds fully at what it tries to do, but to me it warrants nothing more than a giant "meh" and a shrug. I'll keep the honey for my toast thank you very much.

nicolastutor's avatar

Le Dandy by D'Orsay

Smells like the cinnimon air freshener we have in our bathroom. Or some type of scented christmas candle. 24, Ca, USA

nicolastutor's avatar

Le Roy Soleil Homme by Salvador Dali

I don't smell any of those delicious and exotic notes listed. All I smell is orange, orange and more orange. Smells very much like CK Crave. Nevertheless, it's still alright. 24, Ca, US.