Latest Perfume Reviews

Oud Flamboyant by Givenchy

An opulent scent of leather, resinous labdanum and oud that seems to take me back in time to an ancient market with a leather tannery and an incense shop nearby that is sells oud. A weird experience. Oud Flamboyant is really comforting to wear. As with most Western fragrances, the oud is synthetic but it was definitely satisfying.

Projection was about 6ft (2 meters) for about 6 hours then it backed up to about an arms length for the other 6 hours.

Can be worn for any occasion, day or night and can be worn year-round as well.

This is really good, considering it was put out by Givenchy.

Highly Recommended
9.5/10
27th April, 2018

Just Me for Men by Paris Hilton

Smells good and can be found online cheap. It does resemble AdG, which is why this is still a good smell, but I prefer 360 Red as it smells better (to me) and performs better.

Projection is only good for a couple hours. Longevity is average.

Aspen for Men by Coty

At times, Aspen comes off a little harsh but I still find it pleasant and in that same green/fresh/clean vein as Cool Water/GIT.

Aspen was the first fragrance I ever noticed and then asked someone what they were wearing. My older sister's boyfriend would wear it when he came over back when I was in junior high. I remember it being very fresh and distinctive, so one day I asked what it was and he told me Aspen. I recently revisited this when I saw a tester in a store and while it isn't something that I would buy now, it does have that Cool Water/GIT vibe and is still very fresh.

On my skin, even in the current formula, I get good projection and longevity.

Archives 69 by Etat Libre d'Orange

Have you ever sniffed a freshly-opened jar of olives packed in olive oil that had a lot of dried Mediterranean herbs in it? Add just a little fruity sweetness to that aroma and that's what Archives 69's first minutes smelled like to me. Such a great opening, it almost made me laugh out loud.

Just a few minutes in, I'm getting some berries, not too sweet, balanced with some truly delicious moldy plums and nearly-rotten citrus. (You know how if you leave citrus sitting out in a bowl it devlops that pale grey mold on it? That's what this smells like to me, and it's wonderful, with a faint whiff of metallic twang.) This stage is so fabulous I want it to last forever.

After about an hour, a little more sweetness develops, but fortunately not at the expense of the overripe plums and citrus, which are still enchanting me. The late stage of resinous patchouli kicked in at about the 90-minute mark, and is so well blended that the overripe fruits sort of float above those heavier elements.

This is a heavenly scent experience, and by far the best ELdO I've encountered. I've liked a few (Fat Electrician, Like This), but never enough to go for a FB. Archives 69 manages to be edgy, avant-garde, and wearable all at once, and is the first ELdO that made me say "I want a full bottle and I want it NOW."

Set Sail St. Barts for Men by Tommy Bahama

Fresh, dry breeze over
Clear blue waters under the
Caribbean sun.

Shooting Stars: Uden by Xerjoff

Short-lived lemony-citrus up front and then spice up with rum tying everything together through the drydown.

Does smell like it's all built on a generic vanilla crowd-pleaser base but with some added florals and something darker (woods, coffee, musk) that make it very enjoyable beyond everyday scents.

Feels more dressed up and ready for cold weather.

I get excellent longevity that lasts all workday. Projection strength is really good if enough sprays are applied, maybe in the 5-6 range.
rbaker Show all reviews

Oud by Rag & Bone

The opening phase is quite pleasant: a peasant bergamot, quite in the middle and refreshing and sweet, with the additional buttressing by a herbal accent.

The base adds a gentle incense aroma, restrained and not at all on the ceremonial side, whilst the base adds some nonspecific woodsy notes. The one thing that - at least on my skin - is conspicuous by its absence is the one ingredient that gives this product its name: the oud. It is missing. The title is a is misnomer.

I get moderate sillage, adequate projection and three hours of longevity on my skin.

Quite and agreeable scent for warmer autumn days, It’s later phases are hampered by being a bit too nonspecific and lacking some structure - and any connection with the name of this composition. Another one in the oud flood washing over the perfumery shelves - but oud-free. 2.75/5.

J'Aime La Nuit by La Perla

A very pale, tepid flower fragrance. Muted fruit. Too woody. Too mainstream for me.

Atlantic Ambergris by Areej le Doré

My first tasting of this had me cough a little from a scratch to the back of the throat and set my mind off track.
A second dosing has fascinated with it's structure and colour.
There is a triumvirate of Cypriol, Sweet Myrrh and swoosh of Ambergris that captivate with an accord that colours of Slate Gray and Steely Blue. The swish of Marine Salty spray, has me standing on a coastal Gray Rock, observing a Dark Blue Sea.

Indolis by Areej le Doré

Very nicely assembled Green and White Floral. Blue Character? Well I don't know. First blast of Jasmine carries a little Indol, however this scent remains pretty and naturally green, throughout it's life, on my skin. Galbanum takes a bite at my nostrils and then settles back to the canvas. Tonka and Benzoin lends it's sweet warm blanket. The fruit is beautifully placed as to only hint of the Exotic, Tropical. Lavender sweeps in at moments, haylike and dry. The real joy of this, is the absence of chemical enhancement, which offers a pleasing dreaminess. Has me happy, not blue. But then, Jasmine Indol always has me smile.

Le Gemme : Gyan by Bulgari

Gyan is a sexy cloud of resinous smoky patchouli with a sweet jasmine sambac radiating from the center. The patchouli is not that "hippie smelling" patchouli; this is a rich and refined patchouli. If I ever had to choose a a signature fragrance, this would probably be it.

Gyan is a smooth non-cloying fragrance (unless you really over do it) that can be worn anywhere - Black tie events, office, out with friends, or on a date with that special someone. Gyan gets a lot of unsolicited compliments and smells fantastic.

Gyan projects around 2 meters (6ft) and leaves a nice smoky sweet jasmine trail of fragrance in your wake.

As far as I am concerned, this is a year-round fragrance. Hot or cold weather, you will always smell great.

Gender-wise Gyan would smell great on men and women 25+. Younger people that prefer fresh scents will probably not appreciate this as much.

Gyan as well as the rest of the Le Gemme collection can only be purchased at a Bvlgari boutique online or in one of their brick and mortar locations.

Yes the Le Gemme men's line is a little pricey ($310 for 100 ml) but honestly, you are also paying for presentation as well as the amazing juice. The box is very nicely padded. The sleek black bottle is topped with a blue gem. Each Le Gemme fragrance has its own gem color. I have tried each one and all are worth trying out.

Gyan is a solid 10/10
25th April, 2018 (last edited: 26th April, 2018)

Aoud Purple Rose by Montale

Plastic candied/lipstick rosey smell. Anonymous and medicinal, the umpteenth symbol of the Montale's useless "oudish" redundancy.

Les Jeux sont Faits by Jovoy

Les Jeux Sont Faits is a more feminine version of the brilliant Amouage Journey Man. The former is more immature fougere and floral ebullient and demanding attention when first applied but settles down and stays noticeable for hours.Solid rich mix of angelica rum cognac tobacco. Journey Man is cleaner more masculine slightly peppery but not so you'd single it out and the best evening/special occasion cologne I have tried.
Will suit different personalities. Both are recommended but the latter is a super star.

Fragrance : 3.75/5
Projection: 4/5
Longevity: 4.25/5

Original Santal by Creed

Very similar to MB Individuel and Joop!. If I was going to call out minor differences, I'd say Original Santal has a less intense version of the fabric softener smell and more of a floral, woody, spiciness to it. It's also just less loud and harsh overall than MB or Joop! and that extends to performance as well. I need to stress though that they are all very similar so let your nose confirm if Original Santal is worth the premium price.

Feels like a casual wear fragrance, maybe best in cooler months. Seems kinda unisex to me as well.

I get soft projection not too long after applying but that lasts all workday.

Blood & Honey by Sixteen92

Absolute, love at first sniff. I think I may have found my "signature" scent. A simple, yet intoxicating blend of blood orange, honey, amber, and honeysuckle. It reminds me of something, somewhere, or someone pleasant, from my past. The sillage is incredible. With each move of my body, this fragrance emits a different characteristic; an alternate atmosphere. This is perfection on a cool, rainy, overcast afternoon.

Santos by Cartier

Stardate 20180425:

Vinatge:

Not for me.
Too much cumin and spices. Lavendar and Bergamont try to bring in balance but they lose the battle within an hour leaving you with a nice mulligatawny soup.

Clear Heart by Map of the Heart

Sweet green at the top, with black current and green leaves. The middle is aquatic with water notes and flowery with iris and peony. The base is subtle with cedar.

Not very unique but, wearable. Reminiscent of a designer fragrance.

Givenchy III by Givenchy

Vintage eau de toilette.

It's like I remember, from decades ago. Well-blended, "old school" fragrance. I can pick out gardenia, galbanum, carnation, hyacinth, amber, patchouli, and vetiver. The aldehydes on top are great. Not overly "buzzy" to my nose.

Not a to-die-for fragrance but, very enjoyable.

Gucci Guilty Absolute pour Homme by Gucci

Diesel-wood leather
Bound patchouli mysteries
Require no answers.

Ombre Rose L'Original by Jean-Charles Brosseau

I have always loved this perfume. It starts as a powdery, floral woody thing. The notes that stand out for me are heliotrope, iris, musk, cedar, orris root, rose, and vanilla. Feminine, to the extreme. As the middle settles in, this begins to smell like lipstick. The base? More lipstick. I adore that, about Ombre Rose. Lasts for an eternity on my flesh.

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Great combo of green, bright citrus in the opening and then drying down to a clean, classy and masculine violet.

GIT is versatile and classic and should work well for most occasions, climates, and ages.

Longevity is good, lasts all workday but the projection stops after the first 1-2 hours on me. After that time, it's still there but sits closer to the skin.

rbaker Show all reviews

Royal Princess Oud by Creed

The opening is pleasant: a slightly sweetish bergamot, with a soft violet and a good jasmine making a gently fresh-floral mix.

The drydown adds a smooth patchouli - no harshness here - with a restrained aldehydic - at tunes nigh-fruity-ozonic undertone, which is not too synthetic. The base adds vanilla - neither cloying nor dominant- on a woodsy background that is spiced up with a bit of benzoin-infused styrax.

I get moderate sillage, good projection and eight hours of longevity on my skin.

This is a floral spring scent that is not bad, but overall a bit nondescript at times and not structured particularly well. The name is complete deception: there is no oud, not even any synthetically derived oud, in in this composition. 2.75/5.

Russian Oud by Areej le Doré

Unisex!? Maybe. I would say this is pretty, certainly, however, in a way that matches to the Masculine skin. It starts with a rude barnyard and transitions like an Oud Oil to the body of the story. I hoover and identify a great wack of Labdanum, wrapped in a Honeyed Dark Chocolate Smoke-iness that is, well, Leather. The Myrrh adds it's sharp vaguely bitter angle and then is softened by the.... Oh ya, give me that Castoreum. Musk certainly, however the Star is the Chocolate and Leather.
Full bottle, for me.
My wife is likely to shake her head, unless she catches the whiff of the Chocolate.
I don't really identify the Sandal, however the Cedar offers it's sharp edged stroke.
It's all vaguely, gourmand, caramel, edible, similar to PG Aomassai, however, this, is Truffled and buttered, by the Animalics.

Later, as my wife lays her head on my chest in a cuddle.

She says "You smell like an Ottoman Sultan"

I ask "Is it the Myrrh"

She says, in a purr "Yes, it's the Myrrh"

In any case this stuff dries down similar to Fumerie Turque, but better.

L'Homme de Coeur by Divine

Quite a pleasant and beautiful scent...A tangy fresh green , slightly woody/ herby iris sitting on a plank of wood...not a big fan of iris fragrances , but i really like how this smells...strrikes me as a very inoffensive fragrance that is perfectly suited for all ocassions...smells smooth and sophisticated and has aspects of both the mens cologne and barbershop schools of thought...it seems rather hard to come up with flower fragrances that most men would feel comfortable wearing , but I don't think any guy would have any issues with pulling this one off...

Wind Drift by Dana

Wind Drift is perhaps my favorite of the English Leather flankers, mainly because it really isn't one, and stood on it's own without much link-back to the original besides having "from the makers of" under the title (much like Coty did for every masculine released after Stetson until the 1990's). Legend has it this was an old ultra-luxe men's fougère called "Villa d'Este" released during MEM's days as a Denmark-based perfumer (possibly pre-1940's), and likely competed with Dana's upscale and obscure Canoe Royale (release year unknown), which itself was patterned after a Guerlain fragrance, bottle and all. The Villa d'Este is a 16th century villa near Rome, and that name probably didn't (or wouldn't) resonate well with predominantly American buyers post-move to the States, especially in 1970, when this stuff was relaunched as Wind Drift. I admit the name "Wind Drift" has all the charisma of a piece of flotsam drifting along the wind across the ocean, which might have been the intent, and doesn't grant blind buyers any favors when they stare down a bottle. The real magic here is obviously the way it smells, but I feel it got the least attention of all the English Leather (1949) flankers MEM made to compete with Shulton's Old Spice (1937), because it was just so different. Wind Drift had a large enough cult to survive until MEM's purchase by Renaissance Cosmetics/New Dana in 1996, but was promptly axed afterward, along with all the other flankers in the English Leather stable. It's not super super expensive in surviving vintage formats, but definitely more difficult to find than many vintage designers due to it's slow trickle in sales over the years.

Wind Drift is an interesting creature in it's opening, being one part Chanel No. 5 (1921) with its use of aldehydes, one part traditional fougère like the aforementioned Canoe with it's lavender and bergamot, until it brings in lemon, basil, anise, and rosemary like the much later Azzaro Pour Homme (1978) and Aramis Tuscany Per Uomo (1984), with the gentle herb-cradled chypre easiness of something like Yves Saint Laurent Pour Homme (1971) but without the dirty thyme and vetiver bite. There's presaging of both the YSL, and Balenciaga Ho Hang (1971) in this soft citric herb opening, plus Un Homme Charles Jourdan (1979), while much milder than their herbal displays or the anise of Azzaro and Tuscany. Wind Drift recalls the same Italian sunrise as the latter two, which is probably why it was originally called Villa d'Este, but lets the lemon and lavender do most of the talking like the YSL. The middle is classic mid-century barbershop, but considering its composition is much older than it's official release date, I'm not surprised. Geranium, carnation, cedar, sandalwood, with the odd rose make this middle. Base notes are also pretty predictable too, with tonka, oakmoss, labadum, vanilla, and musk, but the vanilla is soft, very docile, compared to something like Canoe. I can totally see why this was advertised as beachy, because we were a little under a decade away from the sunny Italian fougères this uncannily predates, and although it doesn't possess a true marine note in it, the combination of aldehydes, lemon, herbs, bergamot, florals, and a very buttoned-down fougère base allow the citrus top to sing longer while the smooth base notes harmonize with it rather than adding a rich counterpoint bass riff like most things made at this time. I don't get the aquatic association with this outside of perhaps a metaphorical one, but I understand it.

Wind Drift has suffered from poor reviews in what few places list it due to the shock most people have when smelling it, since it really isn't a proper English Leather flanker, but rather an older standalone masculine rebranded as a flanker for catalog-padding purposes. The first thing anyone seems to say when they give it the thumbs down is "oh this smells nothing like English Leather" and "it's too mild and soapy", because without foreknowledge of things like Azzaro, Un Homme, Tuscany, etc., there's no point of reference to see what this really is: a prototype of the anisic lemon and herb barbershop style but with strong DNA connecting it to older fougère styles. I actually love the stuff quite dearly and will continue refilling my big 4oz bottle with surviving minis and partials for as long as I can. It's just a nice, smooth, mellow and bright barbershop fougère that was likely doomed by it's renaming and aquatic associations. It may not be able to "almost hear the sea" like the old advertisements for it claim, but on a casual spring, fall, or mild summer day, this is just several ticks shy of perfect as a work scent, play scent, or weekend errand-running scent. I'd go so far as to say it deserves relaunching under it's original name as a niche scent (but upped to parfum concentration or eau de toilette at least), as the only real chink in the armor with this is it's performance. An unsung, misunderstood, under-appreciated classic, and I really hate saying that because discontinued vintage and niche fans abuse it, but if ever it was true, I think it's here. You'll have to reapply this a bit more than I'd like if you want a full day out of it, but the same holds true for any drugstore cologne of the period so it's not really a design fault, just a consequence of it's economy. An all-time fave!
23rd April, 2018 (last edited: 24th April, 2018)

Furyo by Jacques Bogart

Ever have an "Oh my God" moment when spraying on a fragrance and taking it in for the first time? Well, I certainly had one with this little doozy, but more on that later. Bogart brought in some big guns with a young pre-Firmenich/pre-Guerlain Thierry Wasser, fresh off his perfume debut with Salvadore Dali Pour Homme (1987), coupled with Ron Winnegrad, the late-70's wonder perfumer who brought us both the original Lagerfeld/Lagerfeld Classic cologne and Dunhill Blend 30 in the same year. The two combined crafted a masculine floral that was part of a brief late-80's resurgence of the old Victorian style, but like several of it's contemporaries, was augmented with powerful animalics, building up and making more sophisticated the basic one-two punches of earlier powerhouses such as Kouros (1981) or Bogart's own One Man Show (1980). Furyo was part of a new but short-lived generation of slightly more unisex and friendlier powerhouses that were meant to carry men into the 90's in place of the heavy bergamot/oakmoss/woods battle axes they were still wearing, but history would see to it otherwise. Furyo, just like classmates Balenciaga Ho Hang Club (1987), Paco Rabanne Ténéré (1988), Azzaro Acteur (1989), Balenciaga Pour Homme (1990), and Jacomo Anthracite (1991), would be swept away mid 90's after their competition for the future of men's fragrance defeated them: aromachemical aquatics, ozonics, and "fresh" fougères. These much lighter, simpler, easier-to-understand fragrances rebooted men's perfume aesthetics back to all the smell-alike barbershop fougères of the 60's, but with the added plus of being cheaper to produce and eventually focus-group-tuned for mass appeal. Poor old Furyo and friends would be lumped into the same dinosaur exhibit with the stiff oakmoss powerhouses they sought to replace, but with even less chance at legacy buyers because they were on the shelf for not even half as long. It's a crying shame really, but ultimately I can see why, as like with everything else in this special club, Furyo is very much a niche scent, just before ultra-high-end niche-interest perfume was even a thing. Furyo has a similar built-in sprayer like most Bogart bottles, but comes in a gorgeous red glass presentation with faux-gilded details on the sprayer head/cap mechanism, giving it an ultra-high-class feeling compared to other bottles at this time which were going for modern art aesthetics or blocky 80's industrial minimalism. Not only does the juice inside smell profound, but the visual presentation is one of Bogart's classiest and most profound as well, without looking pretentious like bejeweled Lalique bottles of ages past.

Furyo starts with a bizarre dandy-like fruits and flowers opening that instantly sets it apart from anything else in it's rare class. Traditional opening notes of lavender, artemisia, coriander, and bergamot are joined by fig leaf, juniper berries, and laurel. The berries and fig make themselves readily apparent right away, with the more conventional top notes blurring into a smooth accompaniment. Before long, you realize just how floral this actually is, and how it's predominantly a rose scent much like Ténéré and Acteur, sitting somewhere between Ténéré's dry rose (and unfortunate slight carpet deodorizer vibe for that reason), and Acteur's sweeter near-feminine damask rose. The middle is where this rose lives, supported by indolic jasmine similar to another rare latter-day masculine dandy scent called Aramis 900 (1973), but unlike the grassy galbanium used to slightly neuter the femininity of the rose, here in Furyo it's augmented further with geranium and spicy cinnamon. The top and middle are pretty wild, but in the base we get both urinous civet and the sharp, almost waxy castoreum, imbuing Furyo with the projection and sillage of Caesium-137, just without making your skin glow like a drum of nuclear waste after you've sprayed it on. This sumo wrestler base has it's twin animalics further buffed with amber, patchouli (which definitely comes through after some skin heat), vetiver, vanilla, oakmoss and white musk. The end wear of Furyo is rich, sweet, inviting, yet frighteningly muscular and challenging, making me wonder if this was made to be both attractant and passive vetting of potential romantic liaisons all in one. He or she who dares is he or she who wins when approaching a person wearing Furyo, that's for damned sure. Several people who tried this before me warned of a heavy nag champa note, and I have plenty of various nag champa incense (most of it from Shrinivas Sugandhalaya and the like), but I've burned enough of it to say that maybe this slightly compares to the smell of the box, but not the actual product when burned, and I don't really get that powdery-piquant nag champa vibe at all after the opening, although I do understand that such a swirl of fruit and heavy florals in the top and middle could make a nag champa ghost at the very end, where I can finally detect it.

What I do get here is the Alpha Male of the late-80's masculine floral pack. It's strong where Ho Hang Club isn't, sweet where Ténéré isn't, animalic where Acteur isn't, and is only really rivaled by Balenciaga Pour Homme, which also has a respectable animal growl but only with one such ingredient and not two like Furyo, making it the beta if anything to Furyo's alpha. Furyo deservedly gets recollections of room-clearing might from folks who used it back in the day, and despite it's floral delicacies, is every bit the horny monster -if not more- that the earlier powerhouses were. I don't believe I've smelled much stronger. Perfumer Thierry Wasser seems most likely responsible for the very flirtatiously floral top and middle, while Ron Winnegrad, knowing his past work, was likely responsible for the monster base that has not one but two scary animalics in it. The key underlying difference between Furyo, and something like Antaeus (1981), is Furyo achieves it's massive power without being overly macho, since the animalics work under the other notes and not over top them, making it strong in a more general way like some of the siren-song feminine powerhouses of the decade. This is easily my favorite of this late-80's transitional floral crowd, because it doesn't even try sitting on it's hand, but rather just goes out and gets what it wants, with a rose corsage to soften the blow it lands. It's easy to see why this is the among the most difficult to find and more expensive of the universally-discontinued lot, since it's got both performance and unique character (with Balenciaga Pour Homme again being the only rival), while the rest usually have just one or the other. If you do end up tracking this down and buying a bottle, please be careful with application, as even a standard three-spray to neck, chest, and face will leave you gasping in a cloud for a good hour. You don't have to apply this to your shirt to extend the top notes either, as just having that shirt touch skin will inevitably scent it, this stuff is that potent. I mean, what do you want for a fragrance with a name that translates roughly from Japanese to "prisoner of war"? I was excited, enticed, and scared all at once, hence my reaction. Epic stuff for sure but really very niche in interest, especially in the 21st century. Furyo doesn't feel made with a context in mind, but just as "perfume for art's sake", which is a mindset not typically afforded perfumers working for designer houses, even highly-reputable ones like Bogart, which makes this that much more of a gem. Just please, whatever you do, sample this if at all possible before you believe all the hype (including mine), or you may regret it. This stuff pulls no punches AT ALL.
23rd April, 2018 (last edited: 24th April, 2018)

Cool Water by Davidoff

It's nice, cool, clean and familiar. Not as green as GIT and not as rich but this still gets compliments and is enjoyable to wear. Also, there is something about it that makes it stand apart from GIT so that you know which is which when comparing side-by-side, might be the mint.

Leans a little old school but completely inoffensive. Great for work.

Good projection and lasts all workday.

White Collection : Rain by Commodity

This is not an earthy rain, but instead a tropical rain with lush aquatic florals wafting up from my wrists. It is beautiful, but I was hoping for more of a dirty scent, like that loamy smell that rises up after a summer thunderstorm. No, indeed, this is much more delicate; not that it is a bad thing, just not I’m looking for.

I’ll happily use up the rest of my decant, but it’s not full bottle worthy for me.

Wildfox by Wildfox

Like everyone else, the bottle is absolutely STUNNING. The problem is, the book is not as interesting as its cover.

Wildfox is a nice and inoffensive scent, bordering on being uninteresting. I get the florals and the honey, very clean throughout the dry down.

I live in the southern US, and while this is perfectly fine for spring and early fall, the honey notes would be too much for a muggy summer day. Definitely not a summer scent for me.

Eau Papaguéna by Élisire

Eau Papaguena is a bright, catchy, citrusy floral. I only catch a tiny whiff here and there of the herb-y notes. It's a clean scent that warms up as it dries down. If you like green scents, this is definitely one to try.

Moderate sillage, and sticks around for 7-8 hours. Great for the office, won't offend anyone, and is just straight up PRETTY.