Fragrance Reviews from May 2006

Nomad / Moroccan Myrrh by Crabtree & Evelyn

I love this simple fragrence. It doesn't evolve much, but it has a sweet mellow woodsy tone. I think it smells modern, but not cheep and synthetic.

Pi by Givenchy

I was given this by a woman from Japan. She wore it more then I did. Years later, I have rediscovered it, so to speak. And the vanilla and pineapple notes are really more unique then I remember. One of my favorates. CA, USA

Weekend for Men by Burberry

This was really popular with the Asian kids at my school back in '98. I remember my friend always smelled like this. It smells like powdery lemon scented tissue, as one person has already mentioned. I still like it though. 24, Ca, USA.

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I love this smell! It would be great on a woman, although the only girl who's opinion I asked said it smelled like bug spray... If you are a man, stay away. Why this is a unisex frag, I will never know. 24, Ca, USA.

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

In the summer we have a problem with grass fires around here. The smell that permiates the air on these hot, windless days is almost excactly mirrored by this migraine-inducing fragrence. I admit I never gave it a chance to settle down, but after the first 15 minutes, I started feeling that sickening pounding in my head. 24, Ca, USA

Vétiver Extraordinaire by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I feel really guilty saying this, because they were so nice sending me free samples and whatnot. But this smells like death. Someone described this as smelling of musty basements. I think a crypt comes more readily to mind. Probably the worst thing I have ever put near my nose. When my friends come over I let them have a sniff just so I can watch the revoltion on their faces. 24, CA, USA

Chic for Men by Carolina Herrera

Have you ever used old spice pure sport? This smells EXACTLY like it. One note is different durring drydown, but that's it. So if you want to know how this smells, go to your nearest supermarket and smell a pure sport deoderent stick. That being said, I happen to love the smell so I totally recomment Chic, unless you are worried about paying $40 for a scent that you could get for like three bucks at Safeway. 24, Ca, USA

M7 Fresh by Yves Saint Laurent

I don't know why I love this so much since it smells like I spilled grapefruit juice all over me... but I do. I love it so much. So so much. But I can't find it.

ninamichaela's avatar

Philippine Philippine

Lavender by Body Shop

I asked my brother to buy this for me for my birthday. I found it to overpowering that it almost smells like a man's cologne. I gave it to my boyfriend who loved it.

ninamichaela's avatar

Philippine Philippine

Vanilla Vanille by Body Shop

I like the old version of the juice much darker and stings when i spray it on my neck. But that version lasts a lot longer than this new one. But i also have the new bottle which needs to be replaced immediately. Lasts best when you layer with shower gel and lotion. ( i love the lotion) Got both bottles at their sale, the old one when i was in college, the latest one just a lil over 2years ago. Both have incredible effects on men.
    Vanilla is my favorite basenote of all time. (currently adding Amber & Patchouli to that list)

Playaski's avatar

Altitude by Swiss Army

Although I don't have many fragrances, I find that this one is my favorite casual, daytime scent. It's similar to Crave with its lemon note, but it doesn't become sickly sweet afterwards. After it dries down, I get this soft and sweet, but not too sweet smell that has a calming effect. It also doesn't cost much.

RuffDawg's avatar

Halston Z-14 by Halston

This is one of the worst mens colognes on the market. I agree with IPaidForThisName on this one. This is some really scary stuff! This cologne is primarily worn by unsophisticated guys who simply dont know any better, they want to wear a nice cologne but not spend a lot of money. And now, of course, seeing their Nascar idol Jeff Gordon advertising for Halston has these poor rubes think even more so that wearing this cheesy cologne makes them cool or classy. I bet this scent frequently permeated the set of The Jerry Springer show.

Tovah's avatar

Une Rose by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Une Rose is completely dazzling. The top notes take me to my garden where I'm pruning my Black Cherry rosebush and I smell the earth and the fallen leaves around it. Then this fragrance takes me to a winery and I smell oak barrels and musty air mingling with Cabernet. Une Rose is a mysterious fragrance that smells like it's alive. I have no idea what a truffle smells like, so I can't say if I smell it or not, but I do smell very, very strong, pure rose, woods, earth, and heavy, dark wine. Une Rose is a seductive fragrance, perfect for occasions when you want to be unforgettable.

Tovah's avatar

L'Eau d'Hiver by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

L'eau de hiver is an extremely delicate scent on me. It stays close to the skin and seems to melt into it. The top notes, true to the fragrance's name, do connote the smell of fresh winter air. That watery note poised in the atmosphere just after snowfall seems to burst from this liquid. I suppose snow should smell "cool" but L'eau de Hiver is a "warm" fragrance to me. As it dries down it's all honey and heliotrope, and this mix brings to mind a "baby" scent for me. My skin must bring out whatever notes Hiver shares with Philosophy's Baby Grace, because these two are oddly similar! I enjoy L'Eau de Hiver and it will be a perfect fragrance for cozy winter evenings when all I want to do is read by the fireplace, cats at my feet.

woodbane's avatar

Arlington by D.R. Harris & co.

I love the citrus top notes with that woody, fern like undertone. It does have a strong intitial come-on but this dries down to a thoroughly enjoyable scent with hints of orange, fern, musk and wood. This all combines into a great litle cologne IMO. I find it has reasonable staying power, maybe 5-6 hours but this will vary between individuals.

Joop! Homme by Joop!

Man oh man! This was, I feel one of the first 'more expensive' frags I ever purchased, a step up from the Blue Stratos and Brut 33 'd been wearing for years. It is extremely strong, easily overdone, at which point it becomes almost sickening. Only the lightest application is required as the cloying, heavy jasmine and honeysuckle will get right up your shcnozz! You have to be in just the right mood for this one, actually, so does everyone else! I still have a bottle of this from at least 5 years ago that is still 2/3 full I use it that infrequently.

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

What can I say, I've had it since it's first release and it's a classic that has spawned many an imitator but has never been quite trumped. Although it does have a department store ring to it and is now as common as mud, there is still something that sets this apart from the usual run-of-the mill offerings. I still wear this on a regular basis. It's definitiely a spring/summer fragrance though, much too light for winter.

Castile by Penhaligon's

I also purchased this blind and my reaction upon first smelling it was "Oh c**p! This is waaaaaaaay too flowery for me". However, I thought I'd give it the benefit of the doubt and now I'm starting to change my opinion. My nose really picks up on the rose in this scent and I'm not a huge fan of rose. However, after the initial strong blast, it really dries down to a much lighter, sweeter odor which is the orange & neroli. It's a little on the perfumy side but has a strange quality that seems to make it a perfectly acceptable men's cologne, most probably the base notes of wood and musk, although IMO these are very muted. Still, an interesting fragrance and one I would recommend those willing to try something a little different.

Polo Sport by Ralph Lauren

How is it possible for a frag to have seaweed as top, middle and base notes? Because it's probably made from it, that's how!!!

Long considered the 'athletes classic' this fragrance is a typical locker room smell that can be harsh on the nose, especially when combined with sweat. Wear it lightly with linen pants, a cotton shirt and sandals doen at the marina and you might be surprised how good it can be.

212 Men by Carolina Herrera

Freshly cut grass, citrus and pepper are the dominant notes of this excellent summer scent. A touch of green tea and ginger linger in the background. Wears out into mostly green pepper. Below average longetivity. Light acidification. Lacks depth somewhat but is nevertheless one of my favorites.

Cool Water by Davidoff

A popular, ubiquitous cologne that nevertheless still attracs a lot of compliments for its crowd pleasing aroma. Starts as a fresh, cool marine scent with a touch of pepper and lavander and gently wears out into warm honesuckle. Average longetivity. Light acidification (none on oily skin). My long-time favorite.

Fujiyama Homme by Succès de Paris

Salty fruit and honeysuckle is what comes to my mind when thinking of Fujiyama. The floral notes make it a somewhat femminine scent although they are offset by a masculine base of pimento and salt. Lacks depth somewhat. Below average longetivity. Light acidification.

Joe_Frances's avatar

Hammam Bouquet by Penhaligon's

My experience with Hammam Bouquet was a watershed event for me. I walked into Saks Fifth Avenue to try it, dressed for all the world as a young-middle aged business man in nicely cut suit. I tried on Hammam Bouquet and left the store as Marie Dressler in "Dinner at Eight" fat flapper, white cake makeup and all! I was in shock. I had to get back to my office to try and get it off. "Oh my dear this was reeealy something" my Marie personality said swinging the opera length pearls as I got into the elevator. I feared that someone I knew would come in and I would smile that Dressler cringly smile, and I would make him/her sick. Once free I realized that I do not like and can not wear strong floral fragrances. I prefer fragrances with vetiver, or those such as one of my favorites: LV Uomo; fragrances that are a bit bracing and not very sweet. If there is a floral note(and I like floral as a basenote a la l'homme de couer, or Sandalo by LV) it has to be balanced with an earthy or sharper note. Hammam is a strong rose fragrance that I don't think even my wife could stomach. That being said, I would not give this fragrance a "down" vote, since I don't think I can objectively rate it. How can one honestly give a bad rating to something that might be great, but is clearly not for the reviewer? I say go neutral, but don't go out of your way to review too many fragrances that are outside your area of interest. This one opened my eyes to what florals are all about and that is fine as long as they are not about me. Enjoy.

Joe

05 May, 2006 (Last Edited: 03 February, 2011)

eric's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

I could wear this any day, without getting bored.This fragrance really puts me in a good mood. Like the others stated, i's really a well balanced, yet simple composition of freshness with some light earthy under tones lingering in the background and settling on your skin. Picture Orange Vert with a bit of Declarations drydown. Less smokey, but it's there. It's refined, it's pure, and like Hermes stated, it's really a fragrance of earth and sky.

KL Homme by Lagerfeld

The first time I wore this fragrance I loved it. Since then I have developed a strong reaction against many leather notes, and KL Homme was the first one whose leather note turned on me and became destructively repugnant. I still remember how rich and vibrant it was when I first tried it. I should have paid more attention to the interference with my breathing that I had experienced - it was sending me a message. (Edit of May 6, 2006 review. Changed from a thumb’s up.)

ORIGINAL REVIEW: An unmitigated rosewood in the top notes accounts for most of the massiveness. It is rather easy to determine the heavier individual notes in this—rosewood, definitely; cedar wood, most assuredly; sandalwood, uh-huh; civet, loeather, oh yes—for sure; rose, probably. All these dense notes are so apparent. As to the lighter notes, there’s probably some citrus in the beginning (rosewood always overpowers citrus to my nose), some aldehydes show up after fifteen minutes or so. And after that a few florals begin to fade in—not to forget some patchouli and musk. This is the heaviest designer fragrance I’ve encountered. The first ten minutes are so oppressive I almost have trouble breathing, and I really love this juice. 06 May 2006

06 May, 2006 (Last Edited: 16 June, 2009)

Coco by Chanel

I adore Coco. It is one of my favorite scents, if not THE favorite. It is one of the few scents I have purchased in the parfum bottle. Spicy yet sweet, rich, and with a depth and dimension all its' own; it is not for the timid! You will be noticed, wafting this decadent fragrance.

I strategically dab my parfum on for Christmas, my December wedding anniversary, and dressy occasions in autumn and winter. I also adore, and get more use out of, the body cream (a velvety delight, if you love Coco, please try it). The body cream alone, applied judiciously, provides the perfect level of fragrance, for even the most casual cool/cold weather occasion. You get to walk around in a very personal, ever so subtle veil of Coco, detectable to others only with a hug. Delicious!

Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel

This is a modern classic, in my opinion. I enjoy the spicy sweetness, and I feel it is definitely worthy of Chanel. I wear this on casual evenings; at home, family gatherings, the movies.

I take particular delight in the long heavenly drydown; though I sometimes tire of the patchouli, so this does not get as much wear as my dependably pleasing Allure. It seems that I have to be in the right mood to wear Coco Mademoiselle, but when that mood hits, I love it and nothing else will do!

It seems that many, many women are wearing this now, which takes away a bit of the pleasure of wearing it, for me. I'll probably wait a bit until the hipsters have moved on, and make it my own again.

Hypnotic Poison by Christian Dior

Well named fragrance...my husband is positively mesmerized by it. On me, the bitter almond, vanilla and musk linger to form a subtle narcotic haze that lasts and lasts. I can never detect the jasmine. It's never too heavy or overwhelming.

I found this to be a lighter scent for a Dior, the sillage is practically nil, but the skin scent lasts forever. I wear other scents much more often, but catch whiffs of Hypnotic Poison all over the house days after wearing it.

I do get compliments on it almost every time I wear it, always from those who get close; the doctor, manicurist, etc.

L'Instant de Guerlain by Guerlain

My favorite Guerlain. So rich, dripping thick sweet honey and amber. I'm usually a Chanel girl, but I love L'Instant and own a bottle and the body cream. Very attractive.

Joy by Jean Patou

My beloved grandmother wore Joy, her signature scent. She wore very little, just a drop applied to a hankerchief, or on her hairbrush before her toilette. Somehow, on her, you actually got a hint of rose along with the heady jasmine. On everyone else I have ever met wearing this scent (myself included), it is jasmine so heady as to be unbearable. Perhaps it is all in the strength of application.

I have to give it a neutral out of respect for the dearly departed. If not for grandmere and beautiful memories, Joy would have been a thumbs down, classic or no.