Fragrance Reviews from June 2006

abimanyu's avatar

Indonesia Indonesia

Obsession by Calvin Klein

The sexiest women's fragrance!!!!!Yummy,yummy,yummy, only beautiful,tall, slim, extroverted,trendy women need to apply! I imagine this is the perfect scent for an orgy among beautiful young, nubile women!

AlthaeaSoaps's avatar

Cabochard by Grès

This really comes across as Bandit-like on me, only a little less sweet. It's hard to imagine something that can make Bandit seem sweet, but Cabochard does it. I think perhaps there's a little too much castoreum in it for me, I like the Bandit a bit better. Gorgeous leather, though. I'd like to smell this on my husband.

bad_religion_au's avatar

M7 Fresh by Yves Saint Laurent

This was my first fragrance. My first sniff on the sampler left me wanting, but a skin test blew me away 10 minutes later. unfortunately it doesn't project quite as well now the weather is getting colder, but when i smell it on my clothes it still gives me that rush.

ChicBohoGal's avatar

Armani Mania by Giorgio Armani

Now THIS is the juice! I absolutely love this one, and definitely prefer it over Code, which seems to get more favorable reviews. Not quite sure what it is about it specifically that grabs me...I just know that it is very, very sexy. My man prefers Code, and I'm so disappointed!!

Zinzibar by Body Shop

Spicy, spicy, could use some vanilla or amber. Not at all offensive, however.

Minteva by Body Shop

This one is lovely and unusual, very very fresh, but I don't smell like an herb garden either. Very worth the price. Not too long lasting, but you can always reapply....

Verbena Harvest by L'Occitane

Oh, how I love this! In Florida during the hot season, it really gives one a lift, and keeps one cheerful and energized. My sisters and my mother wear this now, too. We really got hooked. Sort of discordant in the cold moutains where I usually live, though. Prefer oriental scents there.

F_Frez's avatar

David Beckham Instinct by Beckham

Tested on paper, it's a very classic (in a british style) fragrance according to its components: citric start for the first 10 minutes, then the woody base... remembers me some perfume from the '90s, in the line of Essenza di Zegna. The pimento note can be felt smelling for a while directly over the paper... it leaves a brief chili sauce sensation in the nose, but expected some distinctive, less traditional.

ikkitosennomusha's avatar

Hermèssence Vétiver Tonka by Hermès

The vetiver note is the frreshest vetiver I have experienced and defines the term superb! However, tonka is the worst note to ride tandem with the high quality vetiver. The tonka drowns out the vetiver and makes it smell like cheap garbage found in old lady perfumes. I want to give it a thumbs down for ruining the composition with tonka, nontheless, I award a neutral insofar as the characther of the vetiver.

ineespenes's avatar

Norway Norway

Poison by Christian Dior

Initially Poison is very strong on me.Almost makes me cough.But after a short while the scent settles a bit more.Then I get a distinct smell of incense and blackberries.This note lasts all through down to the heartnote. Then it suddenly changes and you get this sweet honey smell mixed with berries.There's still a bit sharp note in it,but not as strong as to begin with.I also get a bit woody feeling in Poison.Like it very much, but it's not a scent for everybody,and I find it somehow a bit different from other scents I've smelled before.Love it, once it has settled!

k_chandrashekar's avatar

Azzaro pour Homme by Azzaro

While a technically well made scent, I don't relate to Azzaro P.H. at all.
    It certainly is unmistakably masculine, distinctive, very well blended and not at all offensive.
    what gives, then?
    It is Schwarzeneggerish: The guy is neatly groomed, well dressed, masculine after a certain manner, and, atleast in the movies anyway, gets the job done. But, unless you share a Californian flair for the bizzare, you'll agree it is very difficult, nay impossible, to relate to him.
    Robotic, shall we say?
    The clinical Azzaro is the perfumery equivalent.
    It best accomodates a utilitarian approach to scent, nothing more.
    If you're seeking a human representation in a scent, however, look elsewhere; unless you're robocop.

k_chandrashekar's avatar

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

Despite being distinctive and quite attractive, the original Paco, to me, is not a complete scent: It lacks a sobering note that would suggest it to a man whose energy, attitude, and approach to life are tempered by experience.
    Stylish, but a wee bit deficient in substance.

leslie0657's avatar

Rahät Loukoum by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I so wanted to like this fragrance. Unfortunately, the drydown ended up smelling like cotton candy on me. In the end, way too sweet.

Lincoln63542's avatar

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

What an interesting fragrance this is!! Elegance and masculinity in a bottle. I learned not to be quick on the trigger with it. All you need is a slight application. Over-applying it will cause the opposite effect. I think it's just perfect when dressing up and when you want to capture the chics attention in your good taste. Outstanding dry down. Good sillage. Use it, don't abuse it!! Suave, man, suave...!!

Marie's avatar

Jean-Louis Scherrer by Jean-Louis Scherrer

I have somewhat mixed feelings about this fragrance. I find it a little bit maddening. The initial green stages are lush and promising, but they give way to a certain floral note that I find distinctly repellant, perhaps it's tuberose - creamy but a little cloying on me. If you wait however, the galbanum and the floral heart spread out evenly and transparently over the chypre base. This is what Miss Dior will be with a little experience. The chypre has a light, blonde character with an occasional very slight burnt or bitter edge, perhaps the cinnamon.

This will not replace Ivoire or Givenchy III for me but I don't think I will be able to let it go.

romancecode's avatar

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

I'm sorry if i don't agree with what everone else says, but to me I think this smells like garbage, garbage in a nice bottle i'll give you, but garbage nonetheless. When i put it on my arm, I wanted to rip it off and slap the makers of this cologne with it.
    Oh, so just in case it wasn't clear, I don't like it.

scentmad01's avatar

Tabac Blond by Caron

Just sublime, worth every penny. I wore the smallest dab recently and was asked several times by several different people what it was that smelled so good..... a remarkable scent.

scentmad01's avatar

Poivre by Caron

Terrific! I wear this when I want to feel extra special, a wild, hot, peppery, spicy scent and the carnation note is like laying a bed of soft petals - heaven in a bottle. not for the faint hearted!!

teflondog's avatar

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Powdery and sweet, but not cloying. This takes all the elements that I like from M7 and leaves out the ones that I dislike. To me it smells like the drydown of M7 but without the bitter agarwood.

Tovah's avatar

Cielo by Napa Valley Perfumes

Cielo is a beautiful fragrance that smells exactly like the fresh air in Napa Valley. It transports my imagination to sunny days surrounded by green smells of vineyards, figs, gardens, and a warm breeze. It's slightly sweet, and the fig is almost secretive. In my opinion, this is a terribly underrated fragrance that should not be missed. It gets compliments every time I wear it.

ubuandibeme's avatar

Tatiana by Diane Von Furstenberg

The notes in this scent are orange blossom, bergamot, jasmine, narcissus, tuberose and musk. Nothing very unusual or unknown to my senses here, however, when I wear it my nose gets a sharp sort of 'stinky' note with no idea where it is coming from! It may be an unlisted or indiscernable green note. In any case, Tatiana is O.K. after it settles down. Definitely not one of my faves, but it IS a unique blend.

Anthodesmi's avatar

Noir Epices by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I got this as a generous sample from Editions de Parfums after taking their 'test'; they suggested Iris Poudre, I suggested Noir Epices, so they sent me both. I generally like spicy orientals, but this is quite distinctive - very masculine, with a cutting edge, and quite a pronounced orange top note. It's the only very spicy fragrance I know that is also cold and distant. It's growing on me...

Sweet Honesty by Avon

If you ask me, Sweet Honesty is the fragrance that inspired to soapy-powdery notes of Jlo's Glow.
    If you are looking for the perfect clean, fabric softner-style fragrance, this is it. Can't beat the price either.

Timeless by Avon

Great green chypre in the androgenic style of Miss Dior. There is something vintage and chic about it. Very good for the price.

Avon Soft Musk by Avon

No flowers or animals were killed to make this one, that's for sure, as it smells completely synthetic. Yet it quite interesting, specially after 15 minutes in the dry down. Soft Musk's aldehydic notes are reminiscent of N°5 and even of Serge Lutens' La Myrrhe. Those become less aggressive when the vanilla starts to appear. I also seam to smell incense.
    Soft musk combines the clean notes of your regular drugstore musk with deeper somewhat mysterious undertones.
    Soft musk is a weird one, not sure I either love it or hate it.

Tomorrow by Avon

Nice soft oriental in the lines of Estee Lauder's Intuition.
    I personally prefer deeper slightly more spicy orientals like Cinnabar or Opium. But I could wear Tomorrow during the day.

's avatar

Vetiver by Guerlain

To me, fewer things smell worse. Dirt, grass, and chewing tobacco.

deepthought's avatar

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

No I wouldn't say it smells like bug spray. It is a fairly inaccessable fragrance in some ways ( like a few YSL frag's I can think of). It certainly has some very individual qualities. I would recommend it be worn in humid weather (based on my own experience). If this is too 'hard-core' a frag' then certainly give M7 fresh a go. It captures the individuality of M7 but in a more accessable manner.

flee's avatar

Obsession by Calvin Klein

Provocative and bold. Applied lightly and obsession shows why its a masterpiece. For romantic situations or when a woman wants to have a man stop in their tracks when they pass bye.

Gerald's avatar

Germany Germany

Cyprès-Musc by Creed

One of the best Creeds IMO. Starts fresh and sparkling, then calms down to a soft, deep, relaxing fragrance. There's a perfect balance of the fresh, green notes and the musk: it's green, but not sharp; it's musky, but not sweet. A timeless masterpiece, suitable for any occasion and with surprisingly good longevity.