Fragrance Reviews from July 2006

Duende by J del Pozo

I like it! It's simple, it's fresh, sorta unisex and has a very nice sillage. The flowers are are not overpowering and i think a man could wear this as well, but the scent is not masculine at all either, so it's more of a personal choice of course.It has a dreamy quality that i like but it's still cool.

Boucheron pour Homme by Boucheron

Superb! it's one of the few citrus frags that lasts forever! it's lemony and green-ish but it's very elegant and still you could wear it on informal ocasions and in everyday life. The drydown is as great as the top notes and they become a soft layer of flowers that are never femenine and a base of creamy woods that are *gasp* still fresh! Get the EDP! Definitely will buy again!

Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

Another great add to the chanel line. It's very fresh and the lasting power is so-so, but to me, it does have some of the original allure homme wich i love and i am greatful for it because there are tons of other brands that have a "spinoff" frag that doesn't smell the least like the original (i.e. insensé /insensé aquamarine). It's more of an everyday frag and it's uncomplicated, easy to wear. When the original allure homme might be to strong for a hot weather, give this one a go!

Elf's avatar

Roma by Laura Biagiotti

This is a lovely light scent with lots of neroli. I didn't detect the mint, but the lovely fresh citrusy topnotes (not at all harsh) mellow into a sweet, orange-tinged vanilla (not too sweet). The civet is there but very subtle. My only complaint is that the EdT does not last very long on me, and it costs a bundle in Europe. I'd buy it again at American prices, though....

Elf's avatar

Féminité du Bois by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Soft and warm, the cedar, thankfully, is suggestive but not overwhelming. Settles down to a sweet melange of woodsy spice. Delightful!

Acqua di Parma Colonia by Acqua di Parma

Fantasitic! If you like classic scents this is a must. Very sweet natural lemons which drop off into a warm rose accord cut with a little dryness and freshness from the lavender and rosemary. It drys down to a fabulous mellow smell at which point I find it very difficult to resist starting again. You can apply lot of this and it doesn't overwhelm. An essential.

Eau Sauvage Extrême by Christian Dior

A horrible cacophany. A school orchestra tuning up. A heavy mess. Nothing at all like the original.

Sélection Verte by Creed

Absolutely stunning on a hot day. It actually feels cool on your skin! The vibrant and unique fresh initial accord of mandarin dominated citrus and mint fade slowly as it develops and a warm "sweet pea" note takes over which I suspect may be some derivative of neroli. The ghosts of the oranges and mint sit beautifully in this as it persists very well in its creed-like subtle way.

This really is unique and full of craft and originality, I have never known anyone NOT to enjoy it on me.

24 July, 2006 (Last Edited: 13 April, 2008)

Himalaya by Creed

I was on and off this fragrance for a couple of years and now have settled down with "on". It is a strange one in that it seems to lack any immediate impact or "wow" factor which gives it a hook. However, it creeps up on me as I wear it. It just keeps smelling good. Without ever standing out I keep thinking "that's nice". Until I reach the far drydown where this really does stand out. The base is familiar from other Creed fragrances but it seem particularly well realised here. I first became acutely aware of this low note accord when I smelled it on my nephew about 14 hours after application. It just smelled wonderful, very heavy on the leathery ambergris and woody musk (lots of ambroxin, I think).

It is not one of favourite creeds and I can find things wrong with it if I search; the top notes which smell a little like the scent in washing up liquid to me and the slightly weird gunpowder accord. It is not clean and classical. It may be something of a zeitgeist fragrance, may not be one which survives many years but it is still very well made with great development.

This is a thumbs up from me now (and for the past year or two. my previous review was neutral.

24 July, 2006 (Last Edited: 21st June, 2009)

Vétiver Extraordinaire by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Funky.

It takes a while for the other notes to disappear. They smell nasty to me. Someone said lighter fluid and I think that is pretty close.

Then the funky bad vetiver from testosterone hell kicks in and stays.

I wouldn't wear it out but sometimes a few drops at home to round off a few days of different vetivers......

..OOOOwwwwwww!!!! Baby!!!! Get on down!!!

Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta by Acqua di Parma

No no no. This has missed everything good about the original colonia. It smells shaply artificial to me and quite a different fragrance. Not really a citrus at all, rather a strange sharp woody discord.

If you are new to Acqua di parma I recommend the original colonia. If you have that, stick with it!

Joel_Cairo's avatar

Navegar by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I find this one to be wholy misnamed, and it’s a shame, as its appellation will make many a sniffer who is bored to death by the “me-too aquatics” pass right by this gem. Navegar is, in fact, completely landlocked. I sense nothing aquatic or blue or oceanic in it whatsoever. Quite to the contrary, it is an earthy green pleasure. In classic L’Artisan fashion, Navegar is poetic and imagistic: the topnotes are grassy like lawn-clippings on a humid August day, while the basenotes are composed of the lightest woods imaginable, evoking with uncanny precision mulch drying in the sun after a downpour. In between you have some just-rinsed-vegetable notes and some fresh pepper. The scent’s humidity is not, however, a static hanging swamp, rather it is breezey, brisk and very clean. It reminds me of taking a break from yardwork in the shade of a leafy green tree during one of those sudden summer deluges. Its changing nature is duly noted too, as other times it strikes me as (paradoxically) very very dry, like standing inside an old wooden barn in the sun.

Navegar is almost preternaturally organic-smelling, and my nose has never actually corroborated a niche house’s claim to use “all natural ingredients” before smelling Navegar. Very rustic, very outdoorsy. Being from Boston, this smells to me like New Hampshire. If you are from NYC, it’d smell like Upstate. It’s the earthiest vetiver-less scent I know of and an absolute knock-out choice for summertime. Gorgeous like a rainbow after a rainstorm.

Joel_Cairo's avatar

Fou d'Absinthe by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Heavily louched and with a generous cube of sugar on the straining spoon, L’Artisan’s rendering of this legendary elixir is a much more approachable concoction than its spirituous namesake. Absinth’s infamous bitter anise bite has been considerably tempered in Fou d’Absinthe, yielding a result which I find to be somewhat sweet, as green fragrances go. At the top there is a very brief boozey note, but one which reminds me more of rich eggnog than the brittle smack of Absinth. It has a pronounced herbal body throughout which, in keeping with the house’s reputation, smells unimpeachably natural. There are traces of spices which I found vaguely Egoistisch. FdA’s much advertised hot/cold sensation, presumably a kind of homage to the burn of a good stiff swig, recalls rather the cold/hot feeling of rinsing off shaving foam and splashing on aftershave. I find something strongly reminiscent of shaving in it (there’s a certain kinship with YSL’s Rive Gauche here). That’s actually the dominant scent-image I get from this particular L’Artisan, making FdA the most masculine but also most conventional fragrance I know of from this house. Rather than seeming illicit or hallucinogenic, FdA’s cocktail of cool herbs and warm spice struck me as rather well-behaved and gentlemanly. Quite “sober” in fact. It’s closer to the image of the prodigious, aspirational petit-bourgeois Jules Cheret than to the indulgent fallen-aristocrat/gonzo bohemian persona of Toulouse-Lautrec (If it’s the seedy decadence of Moulin Rouge you’re after, see rather L’Artisan’s Dzing!).

To be sure, FdA is an excellent fragrance - with the best projection I have found among L’Artisans- and were it released by any other house, I’d call it an unqualified triumph. It certainly is intoxicating – devastatingly handsome, remarkably refined and positively humming with quality- but just not in the way I was expecting. Given L’Artisan’s unique reputation for mind-bendingly evocative scents that play not just upon the nose but also the imagination and memory, I was hoping their interpretation of the Green Fairy would have been just a bit more psychoactive. “Crazy for Absinthe” is a bit too respectable; I wanted more visuals.

Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

Awesome, one of the best. The true "CLEAN" fragrance. I also just got the showergel which is also great. When you first put this stuff on, it hits you in the face with its sharp citrus but at the same time you don't. It's a two faced scent. It plays nice on the surface but below the surface it just might kick your ass.

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

I bought M7 a few days ago based on a sample I had that I really liked (I never actually wore it though). Now when I spray the juice on me I am a little less excited. It smells very old fashioned, like something from the early 70's. It's raunchy, like something somebody would wear when they go to a nasty strip club. It also reminds me of my uncle, who was a little like that. So....I don't know. Like most YSL scents this one is truly up to the person wearing it.

Vétiver Extraordinaire by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

This one of my top 3 Vetivers. Such an amazingly potent scent. There is not much going on besides the amazing vetiver but that's all I want and need anyway. Longevity is excellent. Goth babies should be nursed with this stuff :)

Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur

L'Artisan Parfumeur is amazing (Creed could learn from them). Dzing! is truly one of the most unusual scent on the market today. It takes chances and pays off for the person who is willing wait.
    One of the Best, Ever.

Passage d'Enfer by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Passage d'Enfer by L'Artisan Parfumeur is a great warm and gothy scent. It calms you and makes you feel warm all over. It lasts throughout the day and sometimes into the night. I think I will always have this one in my collection.

M7 Fresh by Yves Saint Laurent

Compared to the original it's definitley more accessable. ...BUT... at the end of the day the initial freshness wears off and you are left with a less intense version of the original. As I said I said with M7, it seems like something somebody would wear when they go to a nasty strip joint, well M7 Fresh is something a younger pimp might wear to go to see his "ladies".

Quarry's avatar

Cabochard by Grès

I should not like this fragrance as it contains some of the notes from my no-no list: aldehydes and spices. It also includes notes from my hard-to-smell list: orris and moss. Apparently I'm in love with what's left over: jasmine, rose, ylang, geranium, leather, tobacco, amber, patchouli, musk, vetiver, and castoreum. Quite a stew, isn't it? By layering in one element, Jo Malone's Orange Blossom, I'm blissed out--the combination is similar to the effect of Balmain Jolie Madame, but she's dull in comparison.

Quarry's avatar

Fracas by Robert Piguet

I can tell you precisely what Fracas smells like to me: A wilted tuberose bouquet discarded inside an empty microwave popcorn bag labeled "artificial butter flavoring." That funky oil smell you can detect as you walk down the grocery aisle by the microwave popcorn has been mixed with sweet flowers that have just started to decay.

Kingdom by Alexander McQueen

Like much of McQueen’s fashion, Kingdom is rebellious, combative, and challenging. Conceptually, I think it is a brilliant scent. Unfortunately, a brilliant conception doesn’t necessarily make for an easy-wearing scent. That being said, I actually think it smells awful. It smells so bad that I can’t help but think that this sensory affront wasn’t partially intentional, which I find a little fascinating. Other reviewers likened it to unwashed parts of the female anatomy or the armpits of an aging whore. When I first read these reviews, I thought they were just being a little melodramatic. But, when I smelled the scent and its heavy cumin note, that is immediately what came to mind. It is a very feminine scent, but not in the way we’ve been taught to view feminine scents. It isn’t floral, sweet, or soft. It is earthy, tired, and maybe even a little sweaty. I honestly can’t believe the heads at Gucci Group let this go out from one of their brands that is trying desperately to break even, because there is no way on earth anybody could expect this to be a big seller. In a world where bland, sporty detergent scents sell a million bottles, not many can be expected to get this one or to be able to wear it easily. I predict in a few years this one will be discontinued and a few years after that will be sold on ebay for high dollars to the few, sleezy die-hards who love it and miss it.

Bel Ami by Hermès

It took me a few weeks to get accustomed to Bel-Ami. It is sharp, potent, direct, and very spicy. The sandalwood notes in it remind me of the interior of old Buddhist temples and the hundreds of years of accumulated incense odors that have seeped into the wood. Nevertheless, the lemony notes add just the right touch of freshness. So, now it has become one of my favorites, but I know it isn’t for everyone. It is probably the polar opposite of something like Issey Miyake or Chanel Allure Homme Sport.

Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Of the eight masculine fragrances offered by YSL, this one is my favorite. It carries over the distinctiveness of the original Kouros, but makes it a little softer and a little more subtle. Also, it cuts down on the powderiness of the original, which is certainly meant to endear it to a younger audience. In any case, the combination works well and creates a fragrance that is as good for day as it is for night. I don’t understand why it isn’t as popular as some of the others, but it is good for those who love it, because it can generally be obtained at discount.

Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentrée by Chanel

Probably my favorite fragrance of all time. I started wearing this one when I was a kid and then lost touch with it after my last bottle ran out when I was about 18. Four or five years later, I was given another bottle and expected that I would have moved on from it and wouldn’t like it anymore (after all, when I was a teen I also like things like RL Polo and CK Eternity and these days these fragrances make my nose hurt). I was surprised to find that I still liked Pour Monsieur just as much. Subtle, soft, but still distinctive, it is one of those rare fragrances that are suitable almost anytime, day or night. It is sophisticated, fresh, and timeless. I’m amazed it isn’t more popular but I’m sad that it never goes on sale.

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Kouros is a great scent. I think that the negative reviews of it come mainly from people who are either very young or who have really only gotten interested in fragrances in the past ten years. I say that only because our “noses” have changed over that time, from distinctive fragrances with presence and a kick to bland, sporty, detergent-like fragrances that all smell like the wearer just washed his clothes (Issey Miyake, Bulgari pour home, Ultramarine, etc). Kouros is certainly fresh, but it is also distinctive and has a definite presence. It may take some getting used to, but when you put it on, you know that this is no Allure Homme Sport or Tide with color-safe bleach