Fragrance Reviews from August 2006

GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR's avatar

Un Jardin en Méditerranée by Hermès

*WOW* THis is completely beautiful. Having it on made me happy the whole day. At first it smells quite feminine, very sweet and syrupy, so that I was a little embarrassed walking around with it. However, let it settle and it's just heaven. Fig and Orange heaven.

I went swimming for about 2hrs after having sampled it, and there were still traces of it on me afterwards! Therefore I assume it has staying power.

ObsessionForMen's avatar

Obsession Night for Men by Calvin Klein

Brilliant fragrance. Another hit by CK. Although Night bares not resemblance to the original Obsession(which is a masterpiece) I really enjoy the complex notes. Very long lasting on the skin. I find myself smelling my wrist throughout the day

sshak13's avatar

Donald Trump The Fragrance by Donald Trump

OK OK ITS NOT THAT BAD. it does smell like a lot of other stuff. But these old ppl here just dont like the spice. Its meant for younger guys.

ToadKings's avatar

Visit by Azzaro

This is probaly the most solid cologne I own. All the notes seem to be working together and I can smell every note when this is applied to my skin. The pink pepper and nutmeg in the top notes really give off a preview of the things to come. It sort is a light verison of the middle notes. After that the blue cedar and Gaiacwood really give visit a smell of fresh cut cedar logs. The base notes brings everything together and makes this cologne fade away in a way that says "You may smell something good but you missed the best notes!". All the notes compliments each other so nicely. Other reviews says it remind them of a cedar sauna and I completely agree. After I spray this I will be minding my own business and then this scent gives me a blast of it's powerful and wonderful scent which I can't help but breathe in and say "Ahhhh". This scent last quite some time on me and progresses through all the notes perfectly. This is really a cold weather scent but I enjoy it enough to wear it anytime. This cologne will not disappoint.

areko79's avatar

Iran Iran

Touch for Men by Burberry

Whenever i sprayed it i have to change my clothes and spraying it at night
    brings me nightmare. Touch for person have sinusitis is allergic.
    another junky smell from Burberry.

areko79's avatar

Iran Iran

John Varvatos by John Varvatos

JV is a great scent. a mixture of Armani Code & Polo Black
    but stronger than both, it's really sophisticate & elegant.
    one of the my favorite woody-oriental colognes.
    i purchase 125 ml forever.

The Wordy Bird's avatar

John Varvatos by John Varvatos

A bit noisy going onto me, but then the high notes - present aplenty if not riotous - settle down into something warm and soothing. I have to say, the dry-down reminds me very much of the old Giorgio for Men from the '80s, vanilla-leathery with m'be a whisp of the chocolate. A friendly juice - even for me, who prefers a bit of astringence - very mellow & autumnal, very worth a try. I do plan on adding this to my collection.

Erinmat's avatar

Switzerland Switzerland

Après L'ondée by Guerlain

Après L'ondée is my second best, of course, after magical L'Heure Bleue.
    I use both alternatively, they marry wonderfully, and both create on my skin a unique smell, MINE, that nobody can trace to a well-known perfume !
    That is my way of life ! A sort of bigamia in perfuming... Of course, you have to decide on which rythm to alternate them, so as to create the best harmony. It is up to you to discover !

Erinmat's avatar

Switzerland Switzerland

L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain

I fell in love with L'Heure Bleue one afternoon in 1957... I was 7 old, and was watching my very beautiful grandmother sitting at her mirror and putting on L'Heure Bleue... Is it possible that you so early in life recognize a smell so intimate already to your soul, that it all once reveals to you the future mysteries of life ?
    I am a perfume addict, but the most perfectly mysterious and all-revealing (what a paradox, indeed ¨) of all, is L'Heure Bleue !
    I think that this perfume, amongst all magnificent creations, is linked to some part of our affective memories, something like the madeleine of Proust, rapturously evocative...
    What a pleasure to discover so many comments on your site ! And so many addicts to this king among great perfumes.

miss mills's avatar

New Zealand New Zealand

New West for Her by Aramis

This holds great memories of summer evenings and NZ beaches for me. A summer scent, applied sparingly is a great signature scent for anyone who loves ozonics, it is definitely one of a kind and draws many compliments from men, particularly (even my picky hubby loves it).

23 August, 2006 (Last Edited: 25 July, 2011)

YSL pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

A fabulous frag'. So simple yet so able to offer a whole day of olfactory delight. I wear it for office use and find it to be as refreshing at the end of the day as when it first goes no my skin!
    It would be a shame to be put off by the 70's associations.......

Boss in Motion by Hugo Boss

Some days I love this frag' on me and other days I hate it!
    My Wife likes it all the time thanks goodness (for her anyway).
    Can tend towards fizzy and heady!
    I would suggest this frag' is very skin dependent.

M7 Fresh by Yves Saint Laurent

Fragrance for pimps?
    I have never met a pimp (to my knowledge) but I don't think he'd be wearing M7 (or M7 fresh for that matter).
    As stated before, much more accessable than the original. I guess the lowering in intensity of the woody notes lets the other 'citrus' notes come forward. I love this stuff and I don't even pimp for living!

Boss in Motion Edition Black by Hugo Boss

I think this is a must-have purchase for all star-wars fans (just for the bottle I mean). I like this one a lot more than the original Motion. Is tending towards a Polo Black and gourmond which means it is picking up on the recent trends.

Elf's avatar

Lalique (new) by Lalique

This floral begins with great intensity, almost headache-producing, then backs off very quickly into a soft musk drydown. I don't detect much woodiness at all in the basenotes, and no oakmoss. Just vanilla/musk. A big whomp, then a little whisper. It was gone in about an hour.

fiskadoro's avatar

Comme des Garçons 2 by Comme des Garçons

Little silver flask spends its entire time laying down on my shelves - it's one of the only bottles I've ever seen that doesn't sit upright! Still, it goes on all inky and blackcurranty, but with a touch of something synthetic in there. It dries down a bit powdery, but I can usually detect it many hours on. Seems to react differently to weather/heat, so it's always an interesting prospect.

lunarpanic's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

It's all in the drydown. It does smell a lot like Un Jardin sur le Nil in its beginnings - but for that matter it smells characteristically Hermès – something is shared by all Hermès perfumes, not just the Ellena compositions – for example, I’m distinctly reminded of Équipage and Eau de Merveilles for some reason, even though they’re quite distinct. I’m also reminded a little of L’Artisan’s Passage d’Enfer – they all seem to express that satisfying clash of dusty, even musty, earthiness on the one hand and outdoor, zesty summer freshness on the other. Maybe it’s the cedar…

What sets Terre apart from most other “fresh” or summer fragrances is its longevity and its projection, which is really quite remarkable. I was standing at least a metre or so away from a friend when I was wearing this, she thought our other friend who was standing much closer was wearing it. Her exact words: “You smell like a summer breeze”. You can’t really get a better endorsement than that, can you?

marco's avatar

Knize Forest by Knize

A very classic and high-quality green fragrance; sage is perhaps the dominant note, but there is also moss, rosemary, mint, etc. What's more, it's extremely long-lasting. A very serious alternative to Green Irish Tweed.

Markinlondon's avatar

Espionage by Ayala Moriel

excellent excellent! a really addictive spicey scent, that grips you as soon as you put it on!

The tobacco and cedarwood really set of the other notes such as bergamot. Reminds me of pirates of the caribbean, the movie i saw while wearing this. I am sure pirates would wear it! A great fragrance and on my wife the musk really comes out!

mentallo's avatar

Original Vetiver by Creed

The comparisons to TM Cologne are not true AT ALL. It does smell a little like TM Cologne if you only smell it straight from the bottle but actually applied this is a very different frag. I love TM Cologne and I really like OV also. OV has greater longevity is a lot more dry and grassy.
    You can savely have both of the in your collection.

oolong's avatar

Cool Water by Davidoff

I find Cool Water to be a wonderful fresh clean scent which is both pleasing but also restrained. It is not an assertive scent which boldly announces your presence but rather one which is very subtle and pleasing. I find it does a very good job of filling a valued niche in my fragrance wardrobe. There are a lot of comparisons between Green Irish Tweed and Cool Water, some even claiming that Cool Water is a clone of GIT. While I feel that they are in the same family of fragrances, I find them distinctly different. GIT is a more assertive fragrance with a bitter edge to it which I find off putting. I’ll take Cool Water over GIT any day.

portugal's avatar

Hugo by Hugo Boss

Hey, it´s a great scent for younger people. It really smells cool. It was my first bottle and i must say that it got many compliments when I wear it at the university. Girls really love it! :)

rjrober22's avatar

Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada

Four words....

DIS-A-POINT-ING !

I guess it smells ok...but JEEZ, I was expecting much more than scented water.

supermarky's avatar

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

this stuff is almost toxically musky I felt I should be carrying a gun to protect myself from lonely mooses on the looses.

trying it a few times I felt maybe I was putting on too much, but even one spray is like. . . being instantly transported to and trapped in a late 70s pre obsession sex club / disco "last chance for romance tonight..."

will try a spritz the air and walk past next time, and probably layer something else on top!

this is one, if you're crazy about it, be sure to check with someone honest will let you know whether or not you simply stink to high heaven

still you can't help liking this stuff for being so extreme and for the sense memory.

the_good_life's avatar

Germany Germany

FCUK Him by French Connection

I cannot get excited about either the name or the fragrance. It's a trendy synthetic for the youngens and as always with these, it does not live up to the prepostorous claims of the scent pyramid. I truly adore lavender, but there is no measurable quantity of quality lavender oil in this perfume. It's more of the cheap laundry softener type. Perhaps this is something like an aqua-ozonified update of Caron pour un homme, whose simple but ingenious lavender-vanilla dualism I find far more compelling, however. The bottle design looks great, but the perfume does tend to leak. All sleek surface, but somewhat shoddy on closer inspection: very contemporary, indeed. I'll quit here before this turns into a reactionary "everything used to be better" rant.

zen_wizard's avatar

Adidas Team / Team Force by Adidas

On a cost per quality of base note critereon, I don't think you could find a better value.

The difference between the base and high notes is intriguing, and the base lasts all day.

LushLife's avatar

Relax by Davidoff

Something about it just smelled so much like cough medicine I couldnt get over it. I waited all evening to get this stuff off me but, in this case unfortunately, this one has some serious lasting power!
    From the topnotes to the basenotes, I just couldnt bring myself to enjoy this one. It gave me a serious headache. Imagine spices in cough syrup, with creamy vanilla. No thanks.

genvy5's avatar

Ezra Fitch by Abercrombie & Fitch

Well, I like it, but it smells very similar to Armani Mania, and since it doesn't last very long, you're better off buying Mania. It also smells very.. "high school" to me. And I just graduated!

1280adam's avatar

Brit for Men by Burberry

I didn't like this at 1st because of the undeveloped smell that came right from the bottle when I sprayed it. But, after about an hour on foward, it smells like a spicer, toned down version of Armani Black Code, but it's still pretty good.

Ymer's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren

Yet another generic fresh scent. This feels really cheap. Doesn't last long, either. It was such a letdown.