Fragrance Reviews from August 2006

Opôné by Diptyque

The opening doesn’t satisfy me—I like the rose note in it as much as I’ve liked any rose note, but I find the saffron interferes with my appreciation of the accord. I think that I don’t like saffron as a fragrance note and I am apparently a little iffy about rose notes, too. My reaction to Opôné is that it is excellently constructed, wonderfully progressed, has a very present sillage, and lasts beautifully—in other words, nearly a perfect fragrance; but I just can’t get into the particular saffron and rose notes…Now, the pinks note in the middle—THAT is nice.

Joe_Frances's avatar

Bel Ami by Hermès

I owned this for a long time, and frankly it was THE fragrance of my "wild and wooly" bachelor days in New York. (Not a drug taking, disco dancing, or "all night raves" wild and wooly, a different wild and wooly. Not debauched, think trying to be debonair. Lots, I mean LOTS, of girls liked the ballet, the musuems; the theater, and gin and tonics, at least back then they did. And they really liked boys who liked those things too. Boys who were not kids, boys who worked hard during the day and who wore Bel Ami.) Anyway, Bel Ami smells dated to me now and is associated with other times and other places, so even though my wife liked it and bought it for me last year(not knowing Bel Ami was my good friend when I dated other girls), I surreptitiously got rid of it. True it is has an exceedingly rich and spicy/woodsy smell; with a great incense and citrus on top; and, true it will make people see you as sophisticated and cultured and maybe the proud possessor of a well- endowed preppy's trust fund, as far as I am concerned enough is enough. It's a new millenium. Time to move on and build up the 401K. I am a dad now, and my fragrance thoughts and inspirations should be about other things. By the way, however, if you are into your "wild and wooly" early to mid 30s and living a really fun money spending lifesyle in a major metro area, and you DO like to go to the theater and the symphony and to foreign films as well as places like the Hamptons this could be your sexy but serious scent of choice. It will attract the right kind of ladies to your money.

Joe_Frances's avatar

Hugh Parsons (Blue) by Hugh Parsons

Hugh Parsons Blue is a fragrance easy to miss if you try it once and make up your mind about it within the first ten minutes of initial application. On initial application, I didn't like it. I thought it was a bit dull, somewhat "starchy" with a bit of lemon/citrus in a rather conventional mix. The key to this fragrance, however, is stunning evolution as it sails blissfully through the day. It can be citrusy and formal, then it becomes warm, woody and inviting and goes on and on for about twelve hours. After the firstf week of ownership, I planned to sell my bottle. Now I wouldn't be without it. I went to Nordstroms to buy a couple of extra bottles on the fear or suspicion that it wouldn't last long in the rough and tumble of the mens' fragrance industry Memo to Nordstroms and everyone else who sells this: It is a great fragrance keep it in stock! It can be both traditional and modern without "selling out" either aspect and will be well appreciated, eventually, by those who bother to give it a chance. Hugh Parsons Traditional Blue is a brilliant fragrance. It is one of my signature scents. I just pray "they" keep making it.

31st August, 2006 (Last Edited: 06 September, 2009)

Ken_Russell's avatar

Romania Romania

Very Irrésistible for Men by Givenchy

Apprealing if a desert- chocolates or icecream for instance- smelled like this, but for a perfume, especilly a male one, inspite of todat's interest for increasingly sweet, unisex, light and experimental scents, it is far to edible. More precisely, after the vapid first impressions of floral and fruity tones are gone, the on;ly impression that remains is of hazelnut spread or chocolate filled with hazelnut spread, maybe a bit of cinammon flavoured coffee or milk-shake. Would work much better in a kitchen, a pastry or sweets-shop. Very irresistible- maybe as an edible, not olfactory flavour. Anything else than the contemporay masculinity, both rugged and sedutive it promotes, even if not a bad or shallow scent, just a hint too weird, daring, off-beat and unmanly.

kewart's avatar

L'Infante by Divine

This is a truly unique fragrance that literally makes my heart sing. It takes me to an ancestoral home, where huge arrangements of white flowers are intertwined with ivy. I walk down marble corridors and glimpse ballrooms and sumptuous dining rooms through half-open doors. I presume the name refers to the Spanish Infanta rather than a child (enfant) because it certainly isn't a childish smell. Very pretty top notes of Chinese jasmine, peony, blackcurrant leaves and ivy which are underlined with vanilla, tonka bean and musk.
    Almost unbearably atmospheric.

the_gabba_goul's avatar

parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Zagorsk by Comme des Garçons

Next to Avignon, the best of the incense series...

Slightly less "smoky" than the others in the series, Zagorsk has a cool, almost chalky quality to it.

To me this scent is evocative of images of the renniasance, dark "bonfires of the vanities", give way to daylight filling bright studios where masters carve away at marble blocks to reveal beautiful statues which will endure for hundreds of years to come...

themeglet's avatar

Les Météorites by Guerlain

A lovely, tame violet that is reminiscent of lightly scented face powder or lipstick. Personally, I adore these scents. Meteorites is one of the nicest, least assertive violets I've sniffed to date. I do wish it had a little more lasting power and/or sillage; then again, perhaps my nose has grown used to the scent and I just don't notice it anymore... Nevertheless, I love my violets, and I simply adore Guerlain's Meteorites.

themeglet's avatar

Eau Parfumée au Thé Blanc by Bulgari

Au Thé Blanc is a delightful addition to the Bulgari tea line. It is slightly more peppery and zesty than Au Thé Vert, but wears well in both summer and winter (and probably just as well in spring and autumn...) To my nose, it is remarkably similar to Omnia Crystalline, though Crystalline has much better staying power.

tigrushka's avatar

Finland Finland

Signature / Kisu by Tann Rokka

Kisu is mellow like the sound of cello! One of the woodiest scents I know, it has a big dose of cedar and rosewood and a feel of an old wooden container or an instrument.

Geir by Geir Ness

I got a sample as a freebie. I wouldn't have sampled it otherwise since it sounded like some cool, clean ozone and I hate those. I'm pleasantly surprised it's not. Actually, I don't find it very fresh at all, it's rather unexpectingly sweet.
    It could be the masculine version of a Luctor et Emergo dupe I've got - a similar salty sweet powdery Playdoh-note (vanilla I think) combined with the green freshness of cut grass. The reason this is more masculine is that the green grass note is stronger, it's slightly spicy and it doesn't have that strong sweet cherry note. I quite enjoy it. The odd combo of powdery sweet and juicy, bitter green makes it on the verge of stale, but I still like it.

Oud Cuir D'Arabie by Montale

I think I could love this concept if it was made by some other perfume house. As it is, it's too perfumey/generic/vintage-styled for my taste. I love leather scents, with the exception of vintage leather scents. This has a similar powdery/dry/sharp/sour vibe as Bandit. Not as bad as Bandit, not downright unpleasant, and at least I do get a little leather out of it, but it's like a great scent hiding in a conventional vintage costume. I think I like my scents a little more raw, with detectable notes.

Patchouli Leaves by Montale

Very dry and woody, like cinnamon bark. I was expecting some sweetness from the vanilla, musk and amber but I get none. Or, perhaps, a slight dark, syrupy touch like Wood & Spices, but somehow it manages to stay so very dry even with that touch of sweetness. I also get a hint of mint, something cool and refreshing that balances the sweet touch into that neutral dryness. Not a bad scent but a little onedimensional.

Wood & Spices by Montale

Wood & spices? What wood & spices? The only spice I get to begin with is anise, which makes it more gourmand than spicy, a sweet licorice scent refreshed by the cool, minty freshness of anise. In the drydown I get a pleasant honey note, so it's more like anise sweetened by honey than licorice. Honey with a touch of spice - anise and cinnamon, maybe. It's not unpleasant, in fact it's a boozy, comforting, rich, warm, fairly "dark" sweetness, but I miss the promised woods.

Vetiver des Sables by Montale

At first, I get a fresh, citrusy vetiver scent and I quite like it. However, it quickly dries to something so fresh it's aquatic/ozone. Or, like the previous reviewer said, minty. I have learned to appreciate the bitterness of vetiver, but fresh, clean, cool, minty ozone/aquatic department store men's cologne is my least favourite scent category. I find vetiver des sables horrible perfumey and artificial, like a scented cleaning product. Overall, I think the Montale line is too perfumey for me - it's like they sprinkle their fine ingredients with the perfume equivalent of sugar.

Jean Pascal by Jean Pascal

I instinctively hated this at first sniff. It's all the things I hate about vintage scents - sour, sharp, musty, dry, with no detectable notes.
    When sniffing it some more I realized there's more to it than that though. It has a spicy, peppery, fiery note I quite enjoy and a hint of creamy sweetness. It also has a hint of contemporary ozone/aquatic men's cologne mixed in, but only a hint, only just enough to actually make it better (I usually don't like that at all). But best of all, it also has a hint of dirty, almost foody/meaty musk like Muscs Koublai Khan.
    It's pretty much like a good, interesting scent hiding under a bad, conventional scent. It's such a clash of styles and notes it almost makes it interesting and smell-worthy just because of that. Like someone took a classic vintage cologne, a generic, modern men's cologne and one or two innovative and beautiful niche fragrances and mixed them all together, perhaps with a double dose of the vintage cologne since my overall impresson is vintage-y sour and sharp.

torchsong's avatar

Cheap and Chic by Moschino

I am sorry Gals but this perfume should have been named Cheap Chick or Cheap and Geek.. Makes me HOWL at the moon , it's really a Gross cheap smelling mess. Dime stores sell Cheap baby powder, Heck even a Can of Raid smells great compaired to this Winos Delight! Yea I know, I know, maybe thats an Insult to Winos but gosh, This is really nasty tripe. NOTHING like their WONDERFUL Moschino. No way they used the same Perfumer on this Monster.

torchsong's avatar

Skin by Trussardi

This scent to me is SUCH an enigma, It starts out LOUD and REALLY messy smelling ,over the top Punget smelling. I have to agree with CalChic, it smells very cederish at first, cloyingly so. But then after 5 mintues it does the most AMAZING thing , It Loses the Hampster smell and transforms into a warm,Light scented floral. Very sexy and has loads of staying power..

top notes of bergamot, mandarin orange, baie rose, jasmine. Following with heart notes of lily of the valley, cedar, bazilian rosewood. Finishing with base notes of chypre echo, moss and patchouli.

the white marmoset's avatar

Pour Un Homme by Caron

a sober, gentlemanly scent that makes me feel as though there's a bristle brush about to officiously wipe the stray hairs off my face and the back of my neck and then give me a lollipop.

the white marmoset's avatar

Original Santal by Creed

the crystal bowl on the table, while full to its rim, contained only clear, yellow and cream coloured gumdrops - the spicy ones that not many people cared for.

anthony's avatar

Style In Play by Lacoste

I really love this scent. It just works for me. It starts out with a fruity appley freshness (not really my thing), but that doesn't last long before it settles down into a sofisticated elegance I liken to the smell of a crisp wine. This will definately be on my spring/summer lineup for some time.

Anaïs Anaïs by Cacharel

it was my mum´s perfume when i was a child.
    I still like it but unfort. you hardly recognize it on the street is light, pink, cottony and so pleasant.
    The hughest of hughs.

LouLou by Cacharel

It´s soft, powdery and flowery,is delicious, i don´t know why i like it when i smell it cause i just have oriental or flowey fragances, but this one is so light and classy hmmmmm :)

Dune by Christian Dior

Smell arid and sunny but at the same time reminds a space close to the shore, its definitively a top fragance, misterious and unusual.
    Charming

Halloween by J del Pozo

I think is superb, light but persistent, soft crisp floral frity aquatic and a note of sea breeze.
    So individual
    Worth a try

212 Men by Carolina Herrera

It´s nice, reminds me a little farenhait i don´t know why.
    My partner use it and smell lovely on him, on me it´s bold

Havana by Aramis

after new west that was a fab fragance of the 90's, it becam quite trendy and people really miss it here in Spain.
    Aramis, pleaseee, bring it to us back!!!

New West for Him by Aramis

que pena, I used to liked it very much , It was different and with caracther.
    Kenzo air is quite similar if you get ridd of the anise.

Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

This is my standard perfume. Got it when it came out in 2000, and now must have used like a litre. Especially good cos not many people use it :)

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

This is definitely one of THE classic male scents. You always get compliments with this one. Unfortunately it became too popular, so i don't wear it anymore

Oscar for Men by Oscar de la Renta

My boyfriend wears this one. Hated it at first cos it smelled awfully old fashioned and boring. Now i find it quite different and sexy. I wish it had a few different layers tho. The top middle and base notes all seem to smell the same