Fragrance Reviews from September 2006

Allen-at-home's avatar
    Allen-at-home

Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

I just don't get it: at first sniff, it smells nice enough, but later becomes almost plastic-like (yes, I tried it on my skin). I wanted to like it, but I just can't see spending money on it... I'm sure there are "drugstore" fragrances that are better.

castorpollux's avatar
    castorpollux

Elixir des Merveilles by Hermès

I recently had the chance to test this one and it's not bad at all: it does however, smell differently compared to the original.How so? The original EauDM is a fresh take on beachy white sandy shores, and sharper woody-musky top accords. The ElixirDM version is more of a gourmand scent that has a much sweeter and creamier feel to it. It also outlasts the original by hours and hours.(EauDM lasts a long time too, just not as much as ElixirDM). The sillage is strong as well. If the top-middle notes denote a heavy use of oranges and other citrus fruits, the drydown has chocolate, vanilla and tonka bean to make it even more gourmand. Of course, there on the basenotes we find also the wonderful, high-quality ambergris and sandalwood that gives ElixirDM the unmistakable smell of EauDM , only with a velvety touch. Yet another addition to my long list of Hermès scents!
    A winner!

Havana by Aramis

How exotic!
    A truly unique, manly scent. I have forgtotten to include it among my top 15 where this one surely belongs. I just dont get it why aramis discontinued this. Its so so much better and original then "life" for example. Probably its just not the time for original things nowadays. This one is surely not a mass market taste perfume. A masterpiece. Sad to see that it disappears.

Samouraï by Alain Delon

For me its the best everyday's scent for almost all kind of occasions. Brilliant, sparkling, sexy, modern while not pushing or follwoing a particular trend. I am always returning to Samourai and its for me the closest of being the signature scent. Its not easy to grab hold of it. Its among the top selling fragrances in Japan!
    Its the first one of my top ten:
    Samourai by Alain Delon> for being the best everyday scent
    Elements by Hugo Boss> for being the perfect autumn smell
    Green Jeans by Gianni Versace> for being the ultimate outdoors smell
    Sport de Paco rabanne> for being the perfect springtime fragrance
    Vetyver by Fragonard> for being the perfect summer scent
    AD by Alain Delon> for being the very first and surviving all the way. Brilliant in the winter
    Bijan men by Bijan> for having the comfortable, warm aura of home
    LHomme by Gianni Versace> for smelling like perfect summer glamour
    Egoiste Platinum by Chanel> for being the perfect cool gentlemen fragrance
    Salvatore Ferragamo> for smelling like grandmas backgarden

Just missed the top ten>
    Eau de Orange Verte / Hermes
    Terre dHermes / Hermes
    Photo / Karl Lagerfeld
    Blue Jeans / Gianni Versace
    Tommy / Tommy Hilfiger

Vetyver by Fragonard

This wonderful fragrance is a masterpiece of the Fragonard house. Its just brilliant in the summer. Mostly for feel-good casual occasions. Its green - citrusy smell with woods and spices yet still elegant and light is a great natural / refreshing experience.

Vocalise by Shiseido

A lovely soft white floral with a delicious drydown. The pepper and cypress are present but very subdued. The lily is quite dominant. Very pretty and elegant.

Songes by Annick Goutal

This began as Jungle L'Elephant without the spice, and it was very pleasant indeed. (Elephant is one of my staples.) But after an hour or so, I too got the mothball note. I think this is one that must be tested on skin prior to purchase.

Kenzo Amour by Kenzo

Flower and Flower Oriental are staples in my colllection, so I was very excited to try Amour. It is a very pleasant, but exceptionally quiet, scent. For people who project perfume well, and do not like strong fragrances, this might be the one. The rice note is lovely and comforting, and the entire impression is peaceful and serene. It's just too quiet for me.

Jon_Remy's avatar
    Jon_Remy

Live Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent

I just bought this fragrance and am happy with it as a summertime fragrance. Wish it were a little potent though, although I can smell it on my hand an hour later. Does this smell like Herba Fresca by Guerlain or what? I think it does, but I think Herba Fresca is stronger. Also, Guerlain has a fragrance called Mentafolia, which smells exactly like Herba Fresca but lasts only 1/10 of the time. Be sure to buy Herba Fresca instead of Mentafolia as Mentafolia has no staying power at all. Bye! Happy sniffin'.

markc's avatar
    markc

H.O.T. Always by Bond No. 9

Definitely my favorite of the half dozen or so Bonds I have sampled. It doesn't take long to get to the basenotes, and I get a pretty nice combination of leather and patchouli. This in my opinion, is one of the more masculine Bond scents.

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

The world famous Green Irish Tweed. Admired from Carg Grant to Robbie Williams. Does it live up to the hype? Well like all fragrances, beauty is in the nose of the smeller, as it were. It certainly is well made and has great sillage and longevity. For me it is too heady and too green and there is one note that is too prominent. Don't ask me which ( ask Oliver Creed !). So definitely a must to try before you buy , especially bearing in mind the hefty price tag. I far prefer Creed Himalaya. I give it a neutral as i'd probably like to smell this on someone else . I just wouldn't want to smell it on myself all day ... again !

Himalaya by Creed

Good sillage but only average longevity considering the price. Superb blend though and great balance. Clearly a well made fragrance and highly exclusive. Can't imagine too many people not liking this for the fragrance itself. Can however imagine many will be put off by the price tag which is twice as big as most others. A modern Creed though and wallet providing, a solid purchase.

Marc Jacobs for Men by Marc Jacobs

According to the Creed website Marc Jacobs was the 2nd best selling fragrance (Green Irish Tweed being first). For good reason i say . It is an interesting cologne which is very different to most others. It is that difference that draws you in and keeps you applying. Some say it smells of coconut and i know what they mean but i don't think that is one of the notes. Just an olfactory illusion. After a few days of wearing it no longer resembles coconut ....weird how teh brain learns how to interpret a fragrance. Anyway , this is a winner. Smooth blending, no sharpness, good sillage and good longevity. Doesn't smell synthetic like some of the more popular houses (eg Hugo Boss). Perhaps the best way to describe this one is pleasantly and addictively intruiging. Thumbs up!

Vera Wang for Men by Vera Wang

This has some lovely notes in it and it is well blended. Sillage good but longevity is indeed at best average as many have commented. A more concentrated version would be a boon for VW wearers. Other than that though a very pleasing, classy and quite exclusive fragrance. Apparantly this is the choice of Will Smith, for those people who like to wear what the celebs wear. It's very good in its own right this one and worth a try if you are not already familiar with it.

sobranie's avatar
    sobranie

Marbert Man by Marbert

a fresh crisp spicy scent which has very good longevity for me...originally picked up the cologne in '78-'79...still have some left....recently in the past few months purchased the EdT version and it appears the same formula to me...this frag along with aramis got me started on my adventure into scents...it hails from dusseldorf germany...still smells unique to me even after all the variety i have had the good fortune to smell...a lovely uber-masculine powerhouse!

supermarky's avatar
    supermarky

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

nasty

chocolate + too much... chaotic. I found it repulsive the frist time, had an open mind the 2nd time I wore it...until I got grossed out. won't put it on again.

I don't like the plain chocolate amour de cocoa type scents, I am a fan of cdg spicy cocoa

but this stuff is awful. especially if you put it on then get stressed out it engenders suicical thoughts

Chez Bond by Bond No. 9

This could easily be a deadringer for the classic Green Irish Tweed (GIT). The notes pyramid is very similar too. People talk about all the similarities between GIT and Cool Water - however, the cool fresh notes in Cool Water differentiate it from GIT. Chez Bond however, is an almost exact copy of GIT ..down to the earth middle notes that so distinguish GIT. These notes are the result of the leafy green/violet leaves combination. Perhaps the only difference between the two that I could note (after days of testing) was that in GIT, the earthy middle notes are stronger, and that Chez Bond has poorer longevity.

Overall, this smells great, but the score has to be knocked down a bit because of serious plagiarism charges and poor longevity.

Wall Street by Bond No. 9

Wall Street is a nice, well made, ozonic marine fragrance. It starts off with citrusy notes which smell a bit like antacid .. sounds strange, but they are infact intriguing. I can almost immediately smell the ozone/marine notes. During my various test sessions, I could also note a certain "vomit" note; it crops up rarely, and I wonder if its the sea kale. Unforgivable by P. Diddy is very similar to this offering - especially the top notes of antacid/citrus. The difference is that the marine/ozone notes are deeper and more pronounced in Wall Street, while the Unforgivable dwells more on the unique top notes. Wall Street lasts longer, but Unforgivable is far cheaper. For the money and the similarities, I would opt for Unforgivable.

Little Italy by Bond No. 9

Initially I had a lot of fun with this. I wore this for 3 days straight in the 90F+ degree heat here - before my friend asked me to lay off his bottle. So the funs over now and its time to analyze this fragrance.
    Little Italy starts off with a fresh orange peel note, which then transforms into a mix of citrus + (slight) coriander within 15 minutes of application. I dont see coriander listed in the notes pyramid - is it because of the tangerine + jasmine mix in the middle notes? Eitherways, Little Italy is all about orange citrus big time - in the top notes the grapefruit/madarin combo dominates, and just when they subside, say hello to the tangerine in the middle notes (along with a bit of coriander). Longevity is ok, and the base is "sheer musk" (yea whatever, it was barely perceptible to me). If you like a grapefruit+mint+coriander fragrance, ignore this decent but overpriced fragrance and buy the excellent Live Jazz by YSL for around $30. I will pass on this safe, but unexciting $178 fragrance.

Hamptons by Bond No. 9

Notes pyramid:

Top Notes: Silver Mountain Water (SMW)
    Middle Notes: Erolfa
    Base Notes: { standard fare }

I disagree...Hamptons isnt a copy of Silver Mountain Water....rather, its a copy of Silver Mountain Water AND Erolfa. Hamptons starts off with top notes of citrus and blackcurrant, very reminiscent of SMW...the official basenotes is misleading in that it doesnt mention the blackcurrant note. The middle notes introduce a salty marine note quite similar to that of Erolfas'...jasmine, magnolia? What is the official pyramid on about ?? Infact, it even shares some similarities with another Bond no.9, Wall Street. Hamptons is the jack of all but the king of none..it tries to emulate both Erolfa and SMW, but doesnt quite get the job done. If you want a citrus/marine fragrance, try the classic Millesime Imperiale.

Hamptons = Very disappointing.

bugs's avatar
    bugs

Fleurs de Rocaille by Caron

do people really wear this?! Aldehydic beyound belief - one sniff and I was reeling. When it comes to French vintage aldehydes I reckon Chanel 5 (EDT) is a more enjoyable wear.

Francois Blais's avatar
    Francois Blais

Must de Cartier pour Homme by Cartier

This one is a recent addition to my collection. Got it in a swap on MUA.
    The scent is fantastic; bitter citrus, anis, smooth spices (ginger, cinnamon bark) and a warm base with tonka and tobacco.
    Stays close to the skin, but that's fine with me.

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

This one comes to life in the summer heat during the day. Works also as a nice evening fragrance in summer. Any other season and this is snoozeville. Sweet lemon mandarin opening with peppery aromatic spices underneath. I love fruit/spice fragrances. Base is very sweet woodsy tobacco. Pretty much the same thing everyone else has said. And if you are in the market for a fragrance which every girl in the world ADORES, this is a good choice. My only gripe is that I know too many people who wear it. A better alternative in every aspect is Platinum Egoiste.

01st September, 2006 (Last Edited: 18 July, 2009)

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

Well, this is interesting. I can't STAND the top of it, far too pungent(dear gracious I pray I haven't forgotten how to spell that) for me. However, the drydown is beautiful. I'm not sure if it's the type of fragrance that women would like, though it exudes class.. is it worth it to sit through the beginning to get to the drydown?

Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

A brighter, oranger, fresher take on Allure. Works well in all seasons, best in summer by far. If you are in the market for a fragrance which every girl in the world ADORES, this is a great one. The orange aquatic opening laid over black pepper and cedar is EXTREMELY good smelling, the accord created from the top and heart is beautifully unique and one I have yet to find done the same in any other fragrance. Beautiful base too with that "orange" theme carrying all the way through. Great longevity and sillage. This is an A+ scent.

01st September, 2006 (Last Edited: 18 July, 2009)

Duncan's avatar
    Duncan

Elements Aqua by Hugo Boss

Like it: spicy opening that flattens out quite warm and pleasant. I also detect an aquatic element, so I guess it's named correctly. That said, this fragrance sticks close skin and fades into obscurity rather quickly. Perhaps the solution is to hose it on.

Adnan's avatar
    Adnan
    Netherlands Netherlands

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme by Guerlain

Classy, special and "light". A fresh patchouli fragrance with hibiscus, topped by a well balanced citrus and badian note. Not overbearing. Real Guerlain quality. I like the Vetiver of Guerlain and this is just another refined fragrance! Not common at all. Different, but in a subtle way.

Adnan's avatar
    Adnan
    Netherlands Netherlands

Boss in Motion Edition Black by Hugo Boss

Citrussy, fresh, aquatic. Ingredients: limonene, citral, citronellol, among others. Says enough. Doesn't have much staying power on my skin. Overall, I'm unimpressed.

Rev. Nathan's avatar
    Rev. Nathan

Boss Selection by Hugo Boss

I bought it because I was in a hurry to get some cologne for a trip. Didn't really smell around, I just knew I liked Hugo as a clothing manufacture. Now that I have it, I kind of don't like it. It's the ugliest bottle in my collection; a grey square with a silver top... no originallity here, folks. And that carries out in the smell, too... extremely subtle, and average longevity. I think it's a fantastic fresh smell, but it's... unoriginal? I haven't smelled nothing too similar to it, but this is boringish. For the price, I would not buy it. Now, if it was the price of coolwater...

lulu's avatar
    lulu

Blu Notte by Bulgari

Stunning stuff! Really rich and sophisticated and smells like nothing else out there. I don't get the ginger note -- on me it starts with a bittersweet chocolate note and evolves into very expensive chilled vodka (yum!) plus a hint of some kind of very deep subtle floral (maybe this is the iris?) Smooth, dark, deep, warm and cold at the same time, soft but with a sharp edge somewhere, if that makes any sense. New personal favorite.