Fragrance Reviews from September 2006

Lauder for Men by Estée Lauder

Very masculine

The only scent I know that smells like a manly man (not sweety or fruity) but at the same time very crisp and fresh.

Its a classic

Michael for Men by Michael Kors

I love this scent when I smelled it first, it was masculine and strong..but then..it got more and more and more masculine.

I got a head ache and I stil do whenever I smell it. Honestly I really think this would be a great fragrance if it didnt have so much clove and coriander. It smells like Indian spices mixed in with cologne. I smelled like I just had tandoori and curry sprayed on me.

I love manly and masculine fragrances, but even for me, its just too much. Michael just tries too hard.

Pleasures for Men by Estée Lauder

Honestly speaking, its not bad, but its just a fresh and clean scent that smells like 1000 other things out there. Its not worth buying, every other hugo, zegna and lacoste scent smells like this. You could even buy a cheap perfume from a drug store for a similar scent, I will pass

Salvatore Ferragamo pour Homme by Salvatore Ferragamo

Gave me a nasty head ache. I got it as a gift, it smells like cheap indian food.

Cloves, fig, sage, its as if someone took curry and naan and mixed it with musk. Its just "too much" like Michael by Michael kors.

When I wore it to work , everyone said "eww whats that smell..it smells like curry"

Tuscany / Etruscan by Aramis

My signature scent. Complete and totally masculine. This is one of a kind, it is the only scent I know that is very manly and masculine (Think spicy) and refreshing (lavender and citrus notes) at the same time.

Its so simple, so elegant and so timeless.

When you smell Tuscany you think of a manly man. Think a dark featured handsome man on a cold night in New York City, and you walk by him and you smell the warmth and inviting smell of a real man. This is not for young boys. IF you want to be a high school kid or trendy 20 something you wear your tommy's, aqua di gio, hugo and pleasures.

This is very masculine and very manly..but NOT TOO MANLY. Its spicy but not to the point where it smells like your grandpa. Its also fresh, but doesn't smell like all those abercrombie colognes.

Its spicy and refreshing at the same time.

Not a hint of sweetness-fig, sugar, chocolate, vanilla, etc here.

This should be called "Sex in a bottle" because everytime I wear it I get compliments from everyone I meet

Vaniteck by Molinard

AMAZING SCENT,

This fragrance accomplishes what Angel by Theirr Mugler tries to do..but fails to do. Its sweet, but not too sweet, it smells like the dry down of Angel and Drakkar mixed. Completely masculine and manly with just a SLIGHT touch of sweetness. Not disgustingly sweet like Angel. Another winner from Molinard!

Unforgivable by Sean John

Total cheap knock off of Creed Imperial Millesime. I used to love Creeds Scent but after this hit the market, everyone is smelling like a cheap knock off of it.

You can feel how artificial it is and Millesime is more refined whereas this gives you a head ache after a while.

This is truly "unforgivable" To knock off the House of Creed

Durendal's avatar

Quorum by Antonio Puig

To say that this cologne is a punch in the face would be an understatement; straight out of the bottle it's an olfactory assault. The upside is that it will last forever. The downside is that you may not get it off. It's a surefire headache inducer with no questions asked. However, I give it a neutral because it is beyond manly in scent alone, just don't expect any sort of finesse whatsoever.

151967's avatar

Bulgari pour Homme by Bulgari

As a woman I enjoy wearing this myself. It could almost be unisex. However, I am not a fan of most women's perfumes they are all too sweet or too flowery. This one is just right for me, a hint of floral with a clean woody drydown. It also seems to last a long time on me as well and I live in a very dry climate.

151967's avatar

Eau des Merveilles by Hermès

I love this one, it is a nice fresh woody aquatic with a feminine touch. If you are looking for the traditional flowery sweet or oriental woman's perfume then this is not for you. It is different from most perfumes, I suppose that is why I like is so much. I constantly get compliments when I wear this from men and women. It seems to have good staying power too and I live in a very dry climate.

tilion's avatar

Polo by Ralph Lauren

I have to disagree with the statement that Polo smells the same on everyone. It does on everyone who BATHES in it, but if you apply it judiciously, it does take on a different scent. Many times I've been wearing it and had people ask me what it was. They were astounded when I told them it was Polo. "But it doesn't smell like Polo!" were usually the next words out of their mouth.
    But then, I always metabolized Monogram into something different, too. Maybe it's just me...

kimmy's avatar

Agent Provocateur by Agent Provocateur

Absolutely beautiful!! If you love narcisso rodriguez you'll go ape over this.... similar genre, that sexy seductive style perfume, but lasts longer and has more of a musk base.

kimmy's avatar

Narciso Rodriguez for Her by Narciso Rodriguez

If you want a man to not only notice you but follow you...this fragrance will do it!! Every time I wear it someone asks what that beautiful perfume is, but beware this fragrance can throw very different scents depending on your skin type, a girlfriend tried it and I couldn't stand to be near her, yet i wear it every day??? Try before you buy...

KEW's avatar

Tabu by Dana

I really loved the original fragrance, but I got four 4 bottles 8oz last month and it was NOT the same fragrance, it smells bad, real bad for a woman it might be ok for a man it has a strong woody & soap smell. And If this is going to be the new fragrance I really truly can't stand this stuff now. Yuck it stinks now

Ayala's avatar

Aloha Tiaré / Tiaré by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

This is again a review of the older version of the scent from Comptoir Sud Pacifique. The new version, Aloha Tiaré, is not the same scent at all. Generally speaking, the new one is more of a gardenia and tuberose scent, while the older version reminds, while the original, baring the simple name Tiaré, is a creamy and indulging Monoi Oil scent – an infusion of the Tahitian gardenia named Tiaré in coconut oil.

Unfortunately, the beginning of Tiaré is overwhelming and smells strongly of artificial jasmine and gardenia on an oily background of coconut and vanilla. The intensity level is so overwhelming that it gives off the impression of fueling gas. Luckily, after about half an hour it softens into a creamy scent of white flowers condensed and immersed into coconut oil infused with vanilla beans. The drydown is not unlike my favourite Songes - only feels less sophisticated.

Tiaré reminds me very much of Yves Rocher’s Monoi de Tahiti body and hair oil – also discontinued, unfortunately. I think I prefer the scent of Monoi as a body product, in an oil base, rather than as a perfume. There is something more appealing about it as a beach scent per-se, rather than a scent that suppose to remind us of the beach. There is something about this that just makes it feel fake.

Biffo_the_Bear's avatar

Wales Wales

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

I feel that one can only truly judge a cologne by combining one's own opinion with the opinions of others, as I tend to consider the thoughts of those around me who have to bear my scent as equally if not more important than my own opinion.

To say that I've only ever had compliments from the fairer sex when I'm wearing this (and experiences not dissimilar to Tiberius where some ladies just won't leave you alone) would be a massive understatement - it has persistently elicited the most positive reaction out of everything I own (although I have my suspicions that Rive Gauche works a great deal better, but on a more subliminal level). Added to the fact that I also think it's quite nice, then it clearly gets a very pronounced thumbs up!

mentallo's avatar

Index Pear Cassis by Fresh

This is simply HORRIBLE. I don't see anybody wearing this. Instant headache, trust me. Why did they even bother releasing this?

Bois Farine by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I put off testing this for a long while because I figured peanut butter, or just peanuts, would not a good fragrance make. Well, as usual, it seems the topnotes too heavily influence folks' reviews. The peanutty note burns off within about a half-hour and what is left is a slightly nutty, warm, exotic scent with a sweet base of cedar and iris, blended perfectly into a fuzzy, warm, sweet, cookie-like accord not unlike the almond cookie scent of Bois d'Argent. On top of this there seems to be an exotic floral note, not really wafting, but almost grafted - or maybe glued with caramel - to the cookie accord, like some sort of exotic dessert. Despite all this sweetness, it's never too heavy or cloying. Needless to say I like Bois Farine much more than I expected. On top of all this, it seems very wearable, much more than these reviews would suggest (including this one). One of L'Artisan's most creative and interesting scents, even if a bit weird.

Premier Figuier by L'Artisan Parfumeur

More sheer and lighter than the Extreme version, I find Premier Figuier to also be slightly feminine. It's woody, green, and fruity-sweet, but it's also got a perfumey quality that makes it lean away from truly unisex in my opinion. The Extreme version is rounder, fuller, slightly sweeter, and more importantly, earthier than this one, which makes it more unisex. I find the development to be fairly linear and longevity to be not so great.

Mûre et Musc by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Very much like the Extreme version, obviously. Also obvious, it doesn't last as long. Maybe not so obvious is that the non-Extreme version is less feminine than the Extreme. Extreme is thicker, sweeter, more blackberry-ish, while non-Extreme is muskier, with this muskiness at times bordering on animalic rather than "white." I like this one better.

I've always thought of these as similar to Creed's SMW - the berry and musk thing. SMW is more complex, maybe more interesting, and little edgier due to the weird pen ink note. All seem casual to me. All are refreshing enough for warm weather, but substantial enough for the cold. I find all three upbeat. I really need to try MPG's and the Mure et Musc Cologne.

Premier Figuier Extrême by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I must admit, I had incorrectly assumed this would be the fig version of Mure et Musc Extreme, and so had avoided trying it for a while. It's not really that. Noseorgy's review is on the mark. It's warm and earthy, while also having a green quality to it. It's very similar to the non-Extreme version, though this Extreme version is a little plumper, rounder, sweeter, earthier, and less green; it's also more masculine in my opinion because it's less perfumey. I don't know that it smells like figs, because as I think about it, I don't think that figs have a smell, at least not the fruit that we eat. It is milky, sweet, woody, earthy, and ever-so-slightly green all at the same time. I don't detect a whole lot of development, rather a linear fading away. It also has some similarities to Navegar, which were totally unexpected: woody, slightly green, very natural. I like it, but maybe not enough to buy a bottle. Time will tell.

Dzongkha by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I had high hopes for this. What a great original name for a fragrance. Unfortunately, the scent itself is not so original. Fruity, with heavy doses of iris, it reminds me greatly of Bois d'Iris. It's not as exotic or interesting as I had hoped, rather, it's more a straight iris scent, not as interesting as Iris Silver Mist or Iris Taizo. As it dries, it takes on that fuzzy, powdery, dusty rooty iris quality. It lasts a long while and develops a good bit, but none of the stages of this development are all that intriguing.

vinterdroppe's avatar

Sweden Sweden

À la Nuit by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Having spent my early twenties almost exclusively in a white floral (read Chloé), the smell of perfumes basically centered around tuberose, jasmine or orange flowers, often evokes an abstract memory of normality and everyday life. Still, I crave this cathegory of fragrances, but more so I love the smell of the living jasmine flower. Á la nuit, in my opinion, is a jasmine scent that stands out. Though delicate, it is also in it´s own way potent: the bottle appears crammed with full blooming jasmines of highest quality. It is not the adorable prettyness of fragrant white flower buds that is accentuated here, as for instance in L´Artisans "La Chasse...". Á la Nuit instead plays upon the intensity of a multitude in full bloom. There is a threatening shadow of indole and harshness, but only enough to underline tensions, like the ones between night and day, innocence and temptation. On me it stays purely floral throughout the whole time, and much unlike the other S. Lutens I have tried it is quite linear. Obviously, this is not the most challenging creation of C.Sheldrake, but it smells expensive, in the right sense: skillfully crafted of prescious raw material.

Topper's avatar

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

This is the gold standard of green scents. Simultaneously extroverted, refined and complex. Light-hearted, but beautiful. If it were a musical instrument, it would be a trumpet. Like most Creed scents I’ve experienced, I would describe it as smelling bright and clear. There’s nothing dark or muddy in it. It is a romantic scent. And a sexy scent. While all scents smell differently on, and to different people, women mostly seem to like it. And most seem to like it a lot!

When I first sampled GIT, I smelled mainly cut grass, and didn’t think I liked the scent. But as the top notes wore down and the accord focussed more on the floral heart notes and powdery musk basenotes, my perception changed. Repeated wearings showed layers of richness and complexity, which had first escaped me. The top notes aren’t grass, but citrus. I neither know, nor will attempt to name them all. But the first impression is of grass because the citrus is in accord with the iris and whatever other floral bits makeup the heartnotes. There are similarities to Creed’s OV. But the both the citrus and florals are brighter and bolder in GIT. And there is ultimately no vetiver to undercut their higher register.

Perhaps four hours after application, the citrus topnotes are largely gone. The basenotes are rising to combine with the remaining florals into a rich, creamy, powdery accord that I suspect many have described as the Creed house note. I love it! It works on me, and for me. Sillage is prodigious, and longevity is excellent for me too. Faint suggestions even linger the next day after a shower.

Despite it’s excellent sillage, this scent has seemed to offend no one, and delight many. I would have to describe it as an elegant casual scent. Or perhaps one that is casually elegant. And if it works for you, I believe it’s not out of place in almost any setting.

signature's avatar

Nemo by Cacharel

Wow, this is more or less a reserved Chanel Allure. That being said, it isnt a bad thing. Most of the similarity comes in the opening blast. On paper and right out of the bottle most would not be able to tell Nemo from Allure unless they were side by side. But if one has the facility of a side by side comparision anyone would notice that while Allure goes for a sort of a mellow spicy, fruity, fresh scent Nemos goals are entirely different, accentuating wood and perhaps a bit of smoke with a hint of the fruit from the opening. Is it worth it to own both? Considering that Nemo is discontinued it is becoming increasingly difficult to accomplish that feat but if you love Nemo( or Allure) and want to explore a similar fragrance that follows a divergent path then by all means purchace both and enjoy as I believe I will someday.

pandoranoire's avatar

Arabie by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

There are so few Lutens scents I can actually wear, and Arabie just makes the cut. When I first put it on it smells almost unbearably strong, but it quickly dries down to a sultry mix of spices and dried fruits and just a hint of tobacco, I think ... I find myself falling in love with it. Thankfully it does not contain the B.O. note somes Lutens fragrances do which renders them unwearable for me, even if I can see that they are brilliantly composed. Arabie I really like and it may be full-bottle-worthy for me. It definitely transports me to places I have never been, and I think I will appreciate it even more in fall and winter.

The Wordy Bird's avatar

Aramis by Aramis

Once the leader, now an anomaly, and I do mean in a very good way, of mens' fragrances. Unlike almost anything out there nowadays, Aramis aspires to be neither clean nor sweet, and yet it does not have even a whiff of anything reminiscent of animalistic baseness. The topnotes are a greeness subdued by the underlying smokiness - a rare find in today's field. Upon the path to drydown comes a woodiness that, if one checks carefully, can be sensed as possibly the inspiration for the famed "pencil shavings" notes in Gucci pour Homme. Everything in this juice is understated by today's standards, yet never dull or off-putting. As the Beatles' "Abbey Road" will always define for me the rock and roll album of all rock and roll albums (and I say that as one who was a toddler when it, as this juice, was released) if I had to pick only one fragrance that most pointedly marked the definition of the scent of a "gentleman," Aramis would be that scent. Happy wearing!

Coco by Chanel

Coco I have worn regularly since the age of 16. To my dismay and real sadness I discovered the quality is slipping. Don't think it was an off-bottle. Whatever reason, I put it on and felt the persistent, awful tickle grow in my throat and nose that you get with... I can't even say it. Weep a little weep, with hope around the edges.

Après L'ondée by Guerlain

My brother said this smelled like "wet dog ass", which almost made me cry. I love this scent and I don't care.
    Most Guerlains are easily recognizable, this is not. The top notes are a bit "confectionary", but the base is warm and sexy. Also, I never quite understood why people say it's a wistful scent. Take the little test on the Guerlain site and it pops up under the emotion/mood "happy" or "smile" (sourire).

To me, it's not an "after the rain" scent with a Puccini-esque -level of gray, dank misery before sunshiney days to come. It is an "Anglophile" scent, its image the lushness of a Gainsborough painting. Happy, no?

24, Faubourg by Hermès

This is a classic example of what the French call "soignee". Refind, womanly (def. not for 20 year-old, thirty-five and up). Surprised by high quality of eau de toilette. Keeper.