Fragrance Reviews from September 2006

Bandit by Robert Piguet

A great, sharp, green-leather crack of a perfume, with flowers mixed in (wasn't an old advert for this a leather-gloved hand holding a bouquet of wildflowers? Brilliant.)

I saw a picture once of Germaine Cellier (the creator) and she looked exactely like the type of woman who would wear it best. Elegant, with a smirk. I'm guessing the parfum is slightly softer. The EDT I tried had just too much of a burn in the top note, so I can't wear it every day. Little goes a loooong way.

Fracas by Robert Piguet

A constant, I will always have a bottle of this. It's something I wear for myself, men usually don't go "Ah-woo-woo-woo" when I wear it- it's too ladylike. Very Nina Foch.

Angélique Encens by Creed

This is QUALITY. A gorgeous, sensuous perfume, definetly for winter. This is the reason I noticed "Coco" was slipping in quality, I think AE must have been the inspiration. To my nose they are so close they are distinhuished by little else but quality.

Very pricey, but I would spend it unblinkingly if I had it/ when I have it to spare. My sample vials are little treasures.

kjigga1979's avatar

Very Irrésistible by Givenchy

I love this perfume. And it drives the men crazy. I usually get compliments from the guys when I wear this. It goes well with my body chemistry. The name is suiting

kjigga1979's avatar

Flowerbomb by Viktor & Rolf

I love this perfume. On my way home, I stopped at the store at London Heathrow airport to kill time. I tried on flowerbomb and was very impressed by the smell. It's lovely.

Charles C Fensch's avatar

Aromatic Fragrance of Guajaco Wood by I Coloniali

Very nice. One of my very favorites, behind Gucci Pour Homme and M7.

Charles C Fensch's avatar

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Gucci Pour Homme is my favorite fragrance of all time. While I love M7, Tommy Bahama, I Coloniali, Gucci Envy and Green Irish Tweed, Gucci Pour Homme simply feels like the embodiment of who I am. It captures the way I feel when I put on one of my vintage Pendleton shirts in fall or winter. The euphoria I get when listening to a favorite album. Walking in the forest. Christmas Eve in the Southwest, with the smell of burning piñon and mesquite wafting through the air. Gucci Pour Homme is not for every man. Many in this forum have accurately described the fragrance. And, of course, many could be turned off by it. But then, our olfactory senses are quite tricky. One person's pleasure is another's repulsion. Some of the more unique things I actually like the fragrance of — and completely unrelated to colognes and Gucci Pour Homme — include the aroma of roasting green chilé peppers, the smell of rain on creosote bushes, coffee, leather, pipe tobacco, cedar, citronella, bourbon, the candles and incense burned during Dia de los Muertos, linseed oil, Murphy's Oil Soap, the smell of opening your tent on a brisk morning in the mountains of New Mexico, winter in Santa Fe, and freshly-ground chilé de arbol. Cringe at any of these if you want, but I'll bet that there are a few things in this world that you love the fragrance of that would turn many off. Simply put, Gucci Pour Homme makes me feel comfortable in my own skin. It makes a statement. It's masculine, yet is not afraid to be passionate. It's refined, yet rugged. Its simplicity makes it complex and confounding. This is one you wear to rediscover who you are.

Cerruti Image by Cerruti

Very invorating and clean scent good for summertime wear day into evening, i love it!

Rykiel Homme by Sonia Rykiel

Hi, i'm new to basenotes, i'm not that good at determining the basenotes of fragrances, i just go on instinct, when i go to department stores to srpay on colonges it has to grab me within those first few moments, and this one definitely has!! I love this scent. I have acquired a huge collection of cologne, and this will always be in my top 5 of all time favorites, it's a light clean tea smelling scent. I love it!!!

Salvatore Ferragamo pour Homme by Salvatore Ferragamo

Another top 5 favorite of mines, very light, tangy, sweet and just right for a man, for those hot summer days/nights.

Rykiel Man by Sonia Rykiel

It's hard to put this into words, because i just got it and already i love it, as i knew i would, it's clean/soapy and light if that can describe it, a very distinct fragrance that i will grow to love!!

flathorn's avatar

Chaos by Donna Karan

I only got to try a small sample so I only have a first impression, but I loved its voluptuous white florals enveloped in a lightly spicy, sandalwoody, buttery cloud. It was quite delectable. I thought of Costes for some reason when I smelled Chaos. I haven't tried a side-by-side comparison, so haven't been able to tease out the differences between these two, but was curious whether they share common notes.

09 September, 2006 (Last Edited: 06 December, 2013)

Ayala's avatar

Amour de Cacao by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

When I lived in Ramat-Gan, a part of Greater Tel Aviv, where the Elit Chocolate Factory resides, I could smell the chocolate everyday on the way to work. The building is grey and melancholy looking, just like any busy factory. But this concerned no one. The fragrance of chocolate that wafted in the air within about a mile radius around the factory was the best start imaginable for a morning – particularly on a winter day. And what more – smelling chocolate has none of the (down)side-effects of eating it, even early in the morning. It was pure indulgence.

Amour de Cacao is just this: the scent of a laborious chocolate factory, sweet and rich and creamy and oh so tasty. Today, the first day of weather that does not resemble melted chocolate, I got into the browny mood of warmth and chocolate. I sprayed myself generously without feeling in the least overpowered. I am walking all day in an invisible cloud of rich chocolate, slightly caramely, with nutty undertones of walnuts and roasted coffee beans. Light as cocoa powder, without the sneeze. Pure pleasure.

Hanoian's avatar

Carnal Flower by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I prayed that I would not fall in love with this scent because even my one love in the Frederic Malle line (Lys Méditerranée) is proving too much for my wallet. Alas, I suppose I can live with being poor just as long as I can breathe the scent of Carnal Flower for as long as I live. To me, this scent is pure nostalgia. It evokes sultry nights in Calcutta, a romantic restaurant in Hanoi, rain, gray skies, white blossoms crushed under foot. Unlike many renditions of white flowers, it does not smell heavy or oily or obnoxious; rather is oozes a quiet, almost sad beauty. Smell at your own risk.

Mamo's avatar

Russian Federation Russian Federation

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

Bright, intriguing, without pathos and boring freshness, "sits" comfortably-not irritates, makes impression upon women:)), in lacks has not been noticed..., one of few, constantly present at a collection.

Xeryus by Givenchy

I blind bought for the baron de charlus

well after this and smalto pour homme, which I also blind bought for the baron, & which smells pretty similar to me... I told myself:

By all means savor the baron's prose
    But baby don't you trust his nose!

Which is only to say that naed and I seem to be on different paths much of the time (although I'm just starting to step out).

But all I have to say to him is . . . like that orchid theif guy in "adaptation" said:

Never let anything get between you and your flower, Deano!

Francesco Smalto pour Homme by Francesco Smalto

I got this with a romantic notion that if witty naed nitram liked its quiet disinction and another reviewer called it "manhood in a bottle" and cause it only cost $8 or something that maybe I would become more refined or turned on even and like it

Well, I guess it's great for what it is but to me it smells like... manhood chained behind a desk at the bank. The smell of "Will I get a good rate on the auto loan?" or "Will he reverse the penalty charges on that overdraft?"

And it's really hard to wash off!

L'Homme Sage by Divine

yuck! too much of a bad thing...

themeglet's avatar

Tabac Blond by Caron

Oh, no no no no no. I should have told myself "no, no more Carons for you, Meg" before ordering the samples from a very wonderful seller on ebay. The experience of owning a 1ml sample of Tabac Blond is much like test driving a Lamborghini and then having to go back to the real world of your Toyota Paseo. Why did I do this to myself? I feel as if I have purchased a remarkably addictive (and EXPENSIVE) drug, and now crave it like I've never craved a scent before. ARGH! Will the gods of ebay *please* send me some wonderful seller who wants to rid themselves of Tabac Blond for a relatively sane price? Is there a decent dupe to be found? I'm a grad student, and can't for a moment justify spending upward of $65 for a tiny 10 ml bottle... (It hurts us, Precious!)

The leather (rubber?) or suede note is key here; other notes: blond/light tobacco, amber, insence/smoke, vanilla, carnation, linden, iris, vetiver, ylang ylang, cedar, patchouli, musk. Amazing opening and delightful drydown. Thumbs WAY up.

themeglet's avatar

Mayotte / Mahora by Guerlain

Mahora, I do believe, is the Kali of Tuberose. I love Guerlain, but this is just too much...Perhaps my complaint is more against the flower than the perfume house. Tuberose can be a monster, indeed, and props to JP Guerlain for trying to tame the beast--but beast tamers (and crocodile hunters), however talented they may be, all meet their match eventually. The tuberose somehow cancels out every other note that might otherwise offer some form of redemption. Mahora is just too much (too much heady tuberose, ylang ylang and neroli) for my head.

"Vintage" Tabaróme by Creed

Originally commissioned for King George IV, and a favorite of Churchill and Bogart, Tabarome certainly has an impressive list of past patrons. Ignoring all that star hype and power, I can easily say that Tabarome is one of the most finely crafted fragrances I have experienced, with near perfect longevity and sillage.

Tabarome contains notes of tobacco leaves, green tea, pepper, and ambergris. It smells quite unusual for a tobacco fragrance in that it is quite fresh. Upon initial application, it exudes an uplifting and pleasant aura. It must be the green tea with some mint or lavender. A few seconds later, an exquisite tobacco note joins in. The tobacco is never heavy or overbearing, and never mutes the other notes. Instead, it flows alongside the pleasantly uplifting top notes to make this an extremely wearable and classy tobacco fragrance. Infact, this might even appeal to people who dont like tobacco - Creed has managed to to transform a (usually) powerful heady note into a note which works from all angles. The end result is a masterpiece which exudes power, grace and class.

Comparisons to "New" Tabarome: New Tabarome contains a prominent combo of ginger and tobacco. Compared to the Vintage formula, New Tabarome, while good, smells more brash and less crisp. If you want your tobacco well mixed and uplifting, Vintage is for you. For a dominant tobacco note (with some equally heady ginger filtered through a flacon of citrus and ambergris), "New" might be the way to go.

Rating: 9.5/10

10th September, 2006 (Last Edited: 30th April, 2008)

Cuir de Russie by Creed

With notes of leather, sandalwood, silver birch (a rare essence of Birch tree found in Russia by the Black Sea), styrax, bergamot, ambergris, lemon and neroli, this Creed classic stands shoulder to shoulder with Royal English Leather (REL - another outstanding Creed) as a powerhouse leather fragrance. Cuir De Russie (CDR) is the darker, smokier but no less impressive brother of REL. With a spicy-citrusy opening, CDR provides an inviting intro before revealing a polished, deep, smoky and incredibly authentic leather note. This note dominates the proceedings there onwards, and the sandalwood provides a soft smooth base. It doesnt last as long as REL, but longevity is still decent.

I consider CdR to be appropriate for leather afficianados, while REL caters more to the casual fragrance fan. Both are outstanding!

Axe Clix / Lynx Click by Axe / Lynx

Smells fresh, inoffensive, with the slightest hint of some marine notes.

Cool Water and Acqua Di Gio have nothing to worry about.

Poussière de Rose by Les Parfums de Rosine

This is a rose perfume which has a fascinating dried fruit scent similar to that of Rochas Femme. The apricot-prune-cinnamon combination blends perfectly with the rose and lasts a long time on the skin. It may take on a wine-like scent when the skin warms up.

Une Folie de Roses by Les Parfums de Rosine

This is a chypre perfume, and a good one at that. I can understand that people are disappointed when they expect Les Parfums de Rosine to issue only floral perfumes. Yes, this is a departure, but it is wonderful.
    As a chypre lover, I do not seek sweet, fruity florals. Une Folie is a superb, spicy rose. A citrusy bergamot opening evolves a into lovely jasmine and rose absolute. Tea rose keeps it lively. Spice and a slightly sweet base make it delicious.
    This perfume shares a few similar notes with the venerable Chanel No. 19 and the expensive Jean Patou 1000, two of my favorites.
    I'm glad this company took a chance. I hope more chypre-lovers take a look at this review and try a sample from Aedes.

Une Zeste de Rose by Les Parfums de Rosine

I loved this. The citrusy fragrance resembled the scent of my favorite rose: the orange-colored "Tropicana" rose, more closely than any other perfume I have ever smelled. Very natural smelling. Absolutely gorgeous. Highly recommended.

areko79's avatar

Iran Iran

Millésime Impérial by Creed

A classic fragrance by Creed. attractive opening with accent fruits,
    MI is very very extraordinary IMHO...
    But the lack of most of Creeds, that's imitate. for example:
    Himalaya-XS, Millésime Impérial- Gendarme, Original Vétiver-Mugler Cologne, etc...
    totally all of Creeds is better than equivalents.
    the most of Creed is my faves.

areko79's avatar

Iran Iran

Pleasures for Men by Estée Lauder

Pleasures is very oily & foggy.
    i wonder why was that created?
    this fragrance doesn't change during time, that's really boring.
    doesn't have any special thing, but fortunately it's longevity is low.
    suitable for Mickey Mouse.

jessicahope's avatar

True Star by Tommy Hilfiger

A must have! Everytime I wear this guys think that is smells so sweet and I get alot of attention and compliments on True Star.

buyers_remorse's avatar

Volcano Homme by Lomani

bought this on holiday whilst in Austrailia. It is a wonderous scent, when one considers the price. Very much in line with Antonio Puigs olfactory senses