Fragrance Reviews from September 2006

tvlampboy's avatar

L'Uomo Trussardi by Trussardi

The drydown on this one is PHENOMENAL -- it's almost like owning three completely different scents.

WHY WHY WHY did they discontinue this one?

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Ugh. I have smelled this so many times on drunken nights, while in clubs/bars, etc. A mere whiff of this toxic concoction makes me want to vomit.

Has to be one of the most overrated colognes out there today.

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

I personally love this fragrance. On me it starts out very peppery/citrusy scent, then dries down to a very masculine, woodsy, tobbaco'ish scent. although I don't find that the tobacco is very strong -my only complaint about this fragrance.

It reminds me of sitting in my library, sipping a good bourbon, and enjoying a good cuban cigar.

I find the fragrance to be perfect for social environments aswell as private time. It just seems to evoke happiness for me. I've had several compliments on this fragrance.

Mambo for Men by Liz Claiborne

Hey, what can I say -it's a Claiborne fragrance. Much more spicy than Curve (to me), but very similar.

Would be a decent scent to wear in a smoky bar, because it seems as though this stuff is just ridiculously LOUD.

PS by Paul Sebastian

An all time classic for me. Most of the males in my family wore PS or Aramis.

I have recently started discovering other fragrances, but this one will remain in my collection for a long time.

For me it strikes maturity, refined attitude, classy, and very business oriented.

Reaction for Men by Kenneth Cole

My girlfriend picked this one up for me on a whim -she liked the way it smelled in the store.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a horrid fragrance, but it's been done so many times, and I think in a much better fashion.

I'm not a big fan of the ultra, almost sickening sweetness that's on top -watermelon/green apple.

This one is more suited for the younger crowd in my humble opinion.

Black by Kenneth Cole

In my opinion a very melancholy scent. I own a bottle of this, and when I first picked it up loved it. Hwoever, as time has went by I reach for this one less and less.

This fragrance is not a stinker by any means, but the floral properties just stand out too loud for my personal tastes.

VSOP by Paul Sebastian

Ahhh. An absolutely great scent back in the day. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any of this stuff in years, so I have just been wearing PS.

Polo Black by Ralph Lauren

This is one of my all time favorite fragrances. I've never really been a fan of the Ralph Lauren line, but for some reason this one fit the bill for me.

It's a very sexy, daring, sophisticated scent, very metropolitan, with a touch of care free spirit inside.

I love this stuff, and many of the females in my life constantly compliment me when I am wearing it.

I will say; on me this is a very bold and powerful scent. I'd be careful the first time I sprayed this one on.

Carlos Santana for Men by Carlos Santana

I got a sample bottle of this wonderful scent a few days ago. personally I think it's delicious. I don't know if I'll purchase it or not, but I do think it's a great scent.

Very spicy, and as has been noted by some females I have been around -sexy. They seem to love it, and I do aswell.

Carrìerre by Gendarme

Hmmn. Mossy - pond-sy. Think dragonflies skimming dark waters - fresh clean.
    Lasts approximately five minutes. Keep dousing.

L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain

Hard to believe there are so few elements in this fragrance - it seems so complex and strange and beautiful. When my late husband and I were courting I told him about the French love of "l'heure bleu" - that magical semi-twilight time that seems to exist only in Paris and nowhere else (not even Venice). A few days later he presented me with my first EDT bottle and I have kept it at the top of my fragrance wardrobe ever since.

Jardins de Bagatelle by Guerlain

A Grande Dame painter lady first introduced me to this luscious fragrance and I've been an addict ever since. The EDP on me erupts in roses and quiets down to neroli and gardenia. It grows warmer and more intimate as the day wears on. I get "loopy" like deepthought!

Paris by Yves Saint Laurent

I'm with Tovah on this one - enjoying Paris in EDT for the years since I first experienced it on one of my favorite designers. It's one of those that elicits "You smell so wonderful!". Little kids bury their noses in it! I guess I'll never get used to the notion that some fragrances are for the "young and hip" and some for us "old ladies". I live a casual life at the beach - own and have owned innumerable fragrances and mist on whatever I feel like when I get up in the morning. "Paris" is perfectly suited to a day in the park as far as I'm concerned - and it need not be Parc Monceau.

Misanthro's avatar

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

I can definitely understand why people compare this fragrance to Cool Water, but GIT is so much more than that. It only vaguely resembles Cool Water for the first few minutes. The drydown is much subtler to the point that it almost smells like a different fragrance altogether. I bought this for my fiance, who does not normally wear cologne, and he fell in love with it immediately. It's a cool, classy, sophisticated fragrance.

I'm not sure why people are criticizing the sillage; it lasts for hours.

Overall, I'd say this is a fragrance for the man who doesn't need or want to impress anyone. It's perfect for daily wear or a dressy-casual evening adventure. It must be worn to be appreciated.

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

I had to give this away, it was too woodsy and irritating for me, usually love blvgari's scents, but this one was not a good one.

Bulgari pour Homme by Bulgari

Love it!! very strong and has a cirtrusy feel to it, it lasts and is very loud which i love, an all day cologne that i can smell and get compliments on!!

Blu Notte pour Homme by Bulgari

Love it, similar to the origianl but it has a stronger presence, thumbs up on this one!!

Shangrilaur's avatar

Shalimar Light by Guerlain

I hate to be the sole dissenter, but I could not stomach Shalimar Light's combination of citrus, vanilla, and jasmine for some reason. I love Shalimar, but this one may need some time before I can fully appreciate it.

BlackAmberMoon's avatar

Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker

I'm not usually a fan of chypres, but this I really like! It's very versatile and can go from the office to a night out easily, and could be worn in all seasons. Will definitely be a staple of mine.

bonniebear's avatar

Fantasy by Britney Spears

YUK! We have a older woman who wears this where I work, I swear she takes a bath in it! sickning sweet! and way too strong!

purplebird7's avatar

Patchouli by Santa Maria Novella

One of the best "plain" patchoulis on the market -- but you do have to love patchouli. Woody without being harsh. Fragrant without being sweet. Lesser patchoulis smell flat, one-dimensional. This patchouli has no need of add other notes to make it smell more interesting. This is a pure patchouli scent, rich and gold. Santa Maria Novella is so deep, so three-dimensional, that you can smell around it. I hope I can explain this adequately: the sweet notes, sour notes, herbal notes, woody notes, can be perceived separately. It is a loose mixture of dry, woody, herbal aromas -- not a single scent. You can get cheaper patchouli, but you can't get better.

10th September, 2006 (Last Edited: 08 April, 2013)

Gendarme by Gendarme

I can't believe it's taken me so long to get into this scent! It's the epitome of fresh, clean, and soapy. Like others have mentioned, though, it doesn't last that long. That being said though, you really don't need to worry about over-applying :). It makes a great scent to wear to the office or church or any other place where you don't want your scent to be obtrusive. It's also good for snuggle time :). The ONLY negative thing I have to say about this frag is that the sprayer pumps out a really fine and spread out mist. It makes it hard to spray on my wrists or arms unless I put my skin right up to the bottle.

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin by Lolita Lempicka

I absolutely adore this stuff! It makes me feel like a sexy Good N Plenty :). I know it's all in my head, but I actually feel a bit more confident when I wear this. The scent just oozes appeal. It's sweet without being cloying, and it has great staying power, even after a night of dancing and sweating. Everyone should at least try this one once.

Armani Mania by Giorgio Armani

I really like the top notes of this one. I love it for like, 5 minutes. Then, the great smell completely disappears. Split. Gone. No more. What's left is a VERY VERY VERY faint musky scent. It's really barely detectable. It's pretty disappointing, I really would wear this a lot if that great smell would just stick around.

Diesel Zero Plus by Diesel

There is a profusion (confusion?) of notes here but if you can pick it up cheap it certainly has a certain appeal (play pick the ingredients for hours on end)

Joop! Homme by Joop!

Once had the misfortune of visiting someone who's brother had (it seemed) sprayed half a bottle on himself. The house was smothered in the fumes from this guy. It was my first real experience with this scent and I get flashbacks of it when I smell this one. This one just does not agree with me!

Polo Sport by Ralph Lauren

I am currently swimming in a sea of seaweed, which isn't so surprising considering I have just sprayed myself with RL Sport. I just can't get my nose to dig out the 'fresh' notes in it. I'm sure this has certain applications where it works (see previous reviews) but I'm not into sailing ;)

Visit by Azzaro

All sorts of notes shimmying against each other to create a positive, fresh fragrance with nice depth

Diesel Green Masculine by Diesel

This is fragrance looking for the right companian perhaps. SNAG seeks same, DNS..........