Fragrance Reviews from September 2006

deepthought's avatar

Vetyver by L'Occitane

This fragrance can stand on it's own against Guerlains effort (which is, by all accounts, the benchmark). It's not better or worse, just different and you should do yourself a big favour and give each a go!

Blenheim Bouquet by Penhaligon's

Blenheim Bouquet is one major experience. I find the opening quite irresistible. It suggests a powerful arrogance—rather robber baronish, I would say. My inner hubris revels in the experience while my kinder, gentler, pretend-modest self is grateful when the top notes settle down, leaving a truly excellent citrus / pine / herbal accord. Blenheim Bouquet doesn’t have a very great longevity, but it is a necessary experience. Every serious scentophile has to wear this one at least once.
    The above was just my off-the-cuff reaction to Blenheim Banquet—there’s no point in my saying more: Scentemental and MMM have already reviewed this scent to perfection. P.S. I second Mario Justiniani’s suggestion.

mentallo's avatar

parfums*PARFUMS Guerrilla 2 by Comme des Garçons

This is actually quite feminine. Both 1+2 are pretty feminine scents. They are nice though just nothing earth shattering.

RCavs's avatar

Brazil Brazil

XS pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

Well, It's a nice fresh fragrance, nothing groundbreaking, but pleasant.
    I don't know why, but on my skin XS has poor longevity.
    I like its subtle spicy smell and the light sweet base.

RCavs's avatar

Brazil Brazil

cK one Summer 2006 by Calvin Klein

Well, I must confess I didn't expect anything from "another" edition of Ck's best seller, but when I tried I smelled a very nice, refreshing and more complex version of the original! I think this one is different enough to be considered a new fragrance. It's citrusy but has a metallic note that grabbed me! And the longevity was improved, although it's not the one I'm used to.

robyogi's avatar

Racine by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Straightforward citrus and vetiver, but without the harsh chemical smell of Guerlain's Vetiver. (Am I the only one who finds Guerlain's citrus to have the harshness of a cleaning agent?) Racine however is clean, crisp, refreshing, easy-to-wear (even if you don't like vetiver all that much), and masculine. It's natural smelling and thankfully does not have the soapiness of Creed's Original Vetiver. The closest scents to it that I can think of are Mazzolari's Vetiver and Creed's 1948 Vetiver. Neither are all that close though. Racine's lasting power could be better, but for a citrus frag is not bad.

robyogi's avatar

Secret Mélange by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

An oddball of a fragrance! Cloves, orange, and something like burnt wood or maybe even smoking peat. Of course, being from MPG it's got that raw, natural smell to it, and while wearable (just barely in this case), it's also eccentric, well off the beaten path. I just can't decide if I like it or am put off by it. Something in it reminds me of this soap my great aunt used to have in her bathroom.

themeglet's avatar

Parfum Sacré by Caron

If there is a rose in this juice, I'm missing it. Parfum Sacre, like most Carons, is less a fragrance and more an *experience*...but what an experience it is! To be fair, I fell in love with this scent shortly before trying Tabac Blond, which has since eclipsed every other fragrance I could imagine liking. (Then again, I still have an undying devotion to Aimez Moi; it is a different scent for an entirely different mood.) My point: I think my nose's judgment may have been compromised by Tabac Blond. Parfum Sacre is a lovely breath of sweet incense, clove, and old library. Come to think of it, it reminds me quite a bit of Demeter's Paperback PMU-- sweet, musty, a tad heavy, but nice. (OK, so now that I pick up Paperback to check my comparison, the two are quite similar, sans the eau d'alcohol-- but I *do* notice the dusky floral note, which I have to assume is the rose. Then again, it could be that mysteriously sweet and heavy "play-doh" note that others have noted in many Carons.) Overall, a very nice composition that may yet prove to be full-bottle worthy, if I can overcome the Tabac Blond obsession.

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I love amber, and this is a lovely, dry, sun-scorched, desert hot amber. It reminds me quite a lot of Ambre russe, which I absolutely adore, but less sweet, with a sharper, drier note. Initially I found it almost too sharp, almost soapy or herbal, which gives it a slight vintage-y twist, but it mellows in the drydown.

Cuir Mauresque by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

It starts with an unexpected blast of very artificial musty candy sweetness. Then sharp soap and spice and sweet incense. The sickly sweet, smoky, oriental, heavy soap and incense scent of a headshop sums it up nicely. The orange blossom, perhaps? But where's the leather? I wanted it for the leather. The closest thing to leather I get is a smoky, tar-like, metallic hint, but it's drenched in sweets and soap.

La Myrrhe by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

La Myrrhe doesn't have the dark, resinous, heavy bitterness I expected at all. Instead, it has an almost metallic or citrusy sharp, stale bitterness combined with musty sweetness and a soapy note. Not unpleasant but not remarkable or memorable either.

Noir Epices by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Sharp spices, candied orange peel and an unexpected powdery floral sweetness (I'd say rose) make a musty, soapy vintage perfume. Not bad, just not anywhere near what I'd like to smell like. Too conventional and sweet and floral, even though it's supposed not to be.

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Yum yum. I was hoping for something similar to Muscs Koublai Khan, and in the sillage, it definitely is. Skanky, foody, bodily musk. Still, there's more to Musc Ravageur. The skin scent is more sharp and dry and spicy, almost vintage-like, from the cinnamon. At first I thought almost too much so, but then it mellows into a wonderfully spicy and warm and cosy scent, sweetened by musk and vanilla. It has a dry, powdery aura from the amber note as well, and I love amber. It is a more pleasant scent than MKK, I don't deny that, still I prefer MKK for the totally unapologetic dirtiness of it.

parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Avignon by Comme des Garçons

The dry, dusty scent of incense smoke in a cool, dark stone church surrounded by woods. Very evocative and quite a lot like Messe de Minuit.

parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Jaisalmer by Comme des Garçons

I don't get the oriental spice market at all, I get a northern evergreen forest: tar, wood, resin, tree sap and campfire smoke. A metallic edge too, like in Zagorsk. Very warm and comforting, if you find woodsy scents comforting.

parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Zagorsk by Comme des Garçons

Sharp and metallic and cold, but with a nice, warm undertone of burnt wood, incense and tar. Still too sharp for my nose overall, but fun for certain occassions that call for something steely and chilly, almost rusty.

Vetiver Oriental by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

The rooty bitterness of vetiver, the dark, warm, humid mustiness of earth, the almost citrusy freshness of greenery and a metallic hint of rain and fresh air. Nice, but a slightly generic single-note vetiver.
    I've learned to appreciate the sharp, piercing, men's cologne-y bitterness of vetiver but I still prefer scents with more body and warmth. This is like a high-pitched scream and a bit too close to soapy and "clean" for my taste.

Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Such a clash of notes, I can't figure it out, is it cosy or nauseating? Warm, sweet notes like honey, musk and amber collide with a watery coolness reminiscent of cucumber and schampoo. Weird. The sweet/sour/watery mustiness of it smells close to rottening. And above it all a nice, dry, smoky hint of incense.
    I'm sorry, but I just can't take the clash between gourmand sweet and watery "fresh", between warm and cool, I find it sickening.

Fumerie Turque by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Fumerie Turque is wonderful and comforting like Ambre narguile or Idole. Gourmand, sweet and so warm it's almost hot, with a decidedly dry, smoky note. It's like smoking sweet pipe tobacco and eating loukhom and other oriental delights in the dark of a stone house sheltering you from the heat of the desert outside.

Chêne by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Now this is weird, in a lovely way. It smells like no other high-end perfume to me, it smells more like foresty, dark perfume oils from companies like BPAL. Only better, of course. I would say pine or fir if I hadn't read the notes, but birch makes sense as well. Definitely bittersweet tree resins and sweet tree sap. It's stunning. It's what I've been looking for - a true, natural forest scent. Just like standing in a forest, inhaling the fumes. A hot, sunny summer forest I think, but perhaps after the rain, with humidity rising from the ground. So vivid. I get a touch of smoke too, of burning wood, a campfire. It also has a fresh, sour note that is almost too citrusy sour in the opening but adds a wonderful vegetal freshness in the drydown.

Mandarine Tout Simplement, by L'Artisan Parfumeur

The opening burst of very true citrus peel is quite lovely, but after that it feels a little thin and stale and one-dimensional. Also very light and fading fast, I can hardly feel it.

sshak13's avatar

B*Men by Thierry Mugler

This is everything i love about A*men minus the stuff i do not like. Its less gourmand (i think angel is too gourmand.) THIS IS SOME GOOD S&^%

bront82's avatar

Comme des Garçons 3 by Comme des Garçons

this smells just like OFF bug spray, I can't stop thinking that, and everytime I go for a wiff, that's all I can smell. Maybe I'm biased, as I usually like warmer and spicer smells, as this is completely opposite!

bront82's avatar

At The Beach 1966 by CB I Hate Perfume

Wow, what an amazing beach frag! I usually detest ocean scents, Armani's makes me gag, but this scent is completely different. Instead of focusing on the water, or on the air, Christopher BROSIUS directs his attention to the human experience of sunning. The notes, including summery sand, jasmine, sea spray, dianthus dune flower, neroli petals and driftwood, help form the more synthetic smell of drugstore tanning oil heating on the skin. Not unlike Bond no 9's Fire Island, this scent is clearly a reference to the ritual of the beach, rather than the landscape itself. This is one of 3 in his Memory Series, along with Memory of Kindness and Winter of 1972. The Kindness scent is incredible! Before I read about the notes, I sat and tried to remember where this familiar smell was located in my own memory. It is the scent of tomato vines and leaves, and that was my childhood. Winter, on the otherhand, delivers the still cold air. CB I Hate Perfume is a very interesting brand, and not too pricey!

Cacharel Pour L'Homme by Cacharel

An exceptionally harmonious, refined and sensual blend of citrus, spices and wood that would suit equally well a romantic youth, a pleasure seeker and a confident mature man. There are quite a few other offerings in the same olfactory category but none that would match the subtle silky finesse of Cacharel.

Caractère by Daniel Hechter

A foot soldier in the 1980's power scent offensive that wasn't brash or bold enough to make it big with the other boys. A less sophisticated and suave cousin of the elder Van Cleef and Leonard, comfortable and balanced, but a bit too warm and sweet for my liking, getting dangerously close to Jimmy'z by Regine's at some points of the progression.

Epicéa by Creed

Pine refined beyond recognition. Not a bad scent and certainly classy, but the pine note is so gentrified and muffled by embellishments that it comes across as somewhat forced and artificial. There's that signature luscious, almost sickly sweet, note in Epicea (is it ambergris?) that for me ruins many of the otherwise decent Creed creations. That said, still a better choice than the prissy Blenheim Bouquet.

JHL by Aramis

A pillar of the male fragrance society. A bit imperious and formal but always reliable and dignified. The smell of old money. Can't but agree with the "classy elegance" definition.

Jimmy'z by Régine's

An agreeable but mundane scent, on the heavy/sweet side. The only inspiring thing about it is the fancy-shaped dark green bottle.

Lordos by Shiseido

A rather nice chypre but nothing to write home about. One of those inoffensive Japanese colognes (Eroica, Valcan, Testardo and half a dozen Shiseido's) with mediocre lasting power that you can't either love or hate.