Fragrance Reviews from September 2006

vadim's avatar

Russian Federation Russian Federation

Knize Forest by Knize

A sparkling coniferous green with Knize's signature zest and style.

areko79's avatar

Iran Iran

New Haarlem by Bond No. 9

It seems have edible essence. it is really unisex fragrance.
    NH & generally sweet fragrances are long lasting at least on my skin,
    but unfortunately i don't like this specify.
    New Haarlem is suitable for winter, but i don't use more than two sprays at a time, because it makes headache.
    biggest problem is the price, that is an the disadvantage.
    Totally New Haarlem is very luscious.

teacuplove's avatar

Paris Hilton by Paris Hilton

I agree with the reviews saying this isn't a memorable scent, that said, I do like Paris' fragrance. It's has a "nice shampoo" kind of smell to it which makes it easy to wear because it doesn't smell obviously perfume-y. This is something I'd wear if I knew I knew I was going to be around people who didn't like perfume/sensitive to perfume.

teacuplove's avatar

Pure Turquoise by Ralph Lauren

I was a bit surprised to find that there is amber and patchouli in this fragrance. Pure Turquoise smells very light, green, and slightly sweet. I like this occasionally, but it's nothing to write home about.

Ex'cla.ma'tion Blush by Coty

Sharp, metallic floral smell. Strong and long lasting. This perfume was great for blasting away the smell of the cadavers we dissected in medical school. I wore it every day in first year medical school for that reason!

Mitsouko by Guerlain

Peanuts. When I first smelled the bottle, I thought, "PEANUTS!?" It changed on my skin though. I totally don't smell the 'peach' that others adore. It smells old and musty to me, like my very first piano teacher's house. Bvlgari_BLV said it smells like 'flesh', and I agree. It smell like an unwashed old lady.

Shalimar by Guerlain

My dad hates perfumes. Everytime my mom would come home from the mall, smelling of the latest scent, he would gripe about how she stank! Well, my mother was shocked when she came home smelling of Shalimar, and my dad asked her what she was wearing. He actually liked a perfume for once! My mom was amazed, and she bought some Shalimar. When they went to visit my dad's mother, my mom gave her a bottle of Shalimar, and she loved it too.

I have a feeling that the sandalwood triggers some kind of scent-memory in my dad and his mother. It might have something to do with the fact that they are from Thailand, and they burn a lot of sandalwood incense there. For me, Shalimar is just another perfume.

The opening notes smell like Vitalis to me. (Does anyone even know what Vitalis is anymore?) Vitalis is the hair grease my dad used to use. Sharp and green-smelling.

After that it smells like public bathroom freshener. Then maybe an hour later, it smells like a powdery chypre -- like baby powder. That's what it smells like on my skin, anyway.

Spirit for Women by Antonio Banderas

This perfume is just as stinky as its male counterpart. But, I had to buy some! There is some powerful initial smell -- bergamot? -- that just blasts me away when I spray it on. Then there's something else. Something stinky! Then there's sandalwood and some kind of white amber, which comes out on the drydown -- about 12 hours later. I love the drydown smell, far more than the initial stinky smell. I can't stop wearing it! It's awful!

My husband thinks it's far too strong. So I wear it just for myself.

tvlampboy's avatar

Monogram by Ralph Lauren

Ick -- always despised this one. It had some vague yet distinctly vile note that gave me a splitting headache.

Joy by Jean Patou

Golly! Can't believe these reviews. I've worn Joy like FOR(like)EVER (in the EDT as well as the EDP)) and still experience the same high notes of tuberose (I think)underscored by something else I'm not sure of. I'm new here but not new to Joy which I save for special occasions like going to the supermarket. "De Gustibus...."

11th September, 2006 (Last Edited: 02nd April, 2008)

Rosamor by Oscar de la Renta

Well, there's all kinds of roses out there (I work in a flower shop) and while lots of the commercially grown ones have no fragrance, a couple do and Rosamor is very reminiscent of one called "Attache". Underneath that (in the EDT) is something powdery and soft and not much else. Forgettable.

Jean Nate by Revlon

Ditto, Flathorn. Although I've only ever used the EDT - a real classic for the beaches of SC, USA!!

capri's avatar

Fleur d'Eau by Rochas

The soaps are the best. I loved the fragrance but didn't wear it often. The citrus or grapefruit overshelmed me. But the soaps smelled beautiful. I want more of them!

capri's avatar

Ralph Hot by Ralph Lauren

I don't usually wear fragrance that are related to food but this fragrance is wonderful. The combination of ingredients blend perfectly and keep it sophisticated. I find a lot food inspired perfumes lack sophistication. Hot is part of the fall wardrobe for me.

krunga's avatar

Je T'Aime by Holzman & Stephanie

I had purchased Je T'aime in a trial size about 2-3 years ago. I loved it! However, ever since then I have been trying to buy some, but the Holzman and Stephanie site seems to be down, and their telephone number is out of service. Does anyone know if this line has been discontinued?

Stella by Stella McCartney

I really really love the smell of Stella, as well as the rose absolute. It is a beautiful powdery rose scent. I think it could have become my favorite fragrance now after losing my Victoria by Victoria's Secret, if it wasn't for the fact that I am allergic to Stella! Within minutes of smelling it, I start sneezing! Such a shame, because I adore the scent!

Victoria (original) by Victoria's Secret

This was my favorite all time perfume! I still have yet to find a fragrance that will fill the void Victoria has left! The company described it as "liquid lingerie" and I found it just that. I adore this fragrance, if anyone is familiar with it and knows of something similar, please let me know. I have never smelled a single perfume even remotely like Victoria!

Brit Gold by Burberry

LOVE Brit Gold. I seem to have this problem with falling for fragrances in limited editions. Soft, sensuous, spicy and warm, it is a gorgeous oriental that perfectly suits my taste. I love both the Brit Gold and the Brit Red, the Red has a bit of a fruity zip to it, but both smell similar in the dry down. The Gold also smells similar to Givenchy Indecence. But the Indecence is too strong for my nose, overpowering. Whereas the Gold is just perfect in strength, but with the same spicy yumminess!

colormechris's avatar

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

I've been able to find vintage bottles of Paco Rabanne Pour Homme on Ebay and I have to say it's been worth it. Every bottle I've purchased has not "gone off" as some colognes do, and I think a couple of the bottles I've got go all the way back to 1973! But what a pleasure to still be able to enjoy this scent in its original composition. It's so superior to the current version (today's after shave is pretty close, the EDT is too over the top now). I don't know what it is, but it's something at the very tail end of the drydown that's just transportive. It makes me happy, and sad. At the same time. What a wonderful thing is perfume. It makes the world a better place.

11th September, 2006 (Last Edited: 05th January, 2012)

Mario Justiniani's avatar

Cuba Cuba

New York by Nicolaï

It's a citrus! It's a chypre! No! It's--It's--

The most bizarre (good smelling) frag I own.

Can't make head or tails out of it. One reviewer used the word 'chameleon' to describe it. I concur. I also concur with the positive comments about how well blended New York is, but it's time to take a break from all those upward thumbs.

New York starts out as a happy and well bred man about town.
    From there it transforms itself to, among other creatures:

A hip and sexy woman's playfull scent ( No, I'm not kidding, see The Female Discussion Forum )

A prim little old lady's eau de nostalgia.

A stuffy, ever so formal gentlemen's club.

And--after a few more spins, ends up as what it started.

Whew! I think if you like Jicky, BdP and most Lutens, you'll really enjoy this one.

Ayala's avatar

Philosykos by Diptyque

Figs are irresistible. Considered the fruit of Venus and Aphrodite in the Roman and Greek traditions, figs are believed to awaken a healthy passion and bring fertility. The sensuality of figs combines some ambivalence, just as sexuality can sometimes be both disturbing and pleasurable. And while the fruit is utterly seductive, lest we forget the leaves, who are responsible for the development of fashion for generations to come. And

This is perhaps why it took an Italian perfumer, Olivia Giacobetti, to recognize these intriguing traits in figs, and create the very first fig soliflore (Premier Figuier for l’Artisan Parfumeur). This green concoction opened with complementary (yet melancholy) notes of mastic bush, which accentuated the crisp and tangy greenness of figs, and was daring enough to pay attention to fig milk in the way of adding a coconut milk to the concoction.

But it wasn’t until Ms. Giacobetti has created Philosykos that the sensual experience of green figs was completely squeezed into a bottle. Anything from the very first aroma surrounding the trees baring the ripe (or not-so-ripe) fruit in summer can be experienced from first whiff of Philosykos. One can feel the fuzziness of the fig skin and the roughness of the leaves as they rub against a bare shoulder. One can hear the crumbling of dry wild grass underneath the tree as the eyes are set up to the branches searching for that paler, slightly yellowish waxy look of the just-ripe fruit. One can feel the surprising stinging sensation of the skin when the fig-milk drips from the slightly under ripe fruit’s stem, and crawls along a trembling finger and sticks to greedy lips and burning tongue.

Green figs are best eaten fresh. To be more accurate, they must be eaten straight from the tree, and not be washed at all. If they are dusty, considered the dust a gourmand addition from the earth itself. If the milk burns your lips, consider it a blessing of fire, as even the purest spring water cannot wash the milk away.

Many secrets were whispered below the fig trees, many warts were banished by the burn of the firey milk, and many summers were seasoned by aromatic green figs. When I can’t hop on the plane to pick figs with my brother along the sides of Road no. 6, at least I have Philosykos to marinate myself in, with it’s dry and green edible notes of green fig, coconut milk and cedar.

Ayala's avatar

Kenzo Amour by Kenzo

Judging by the passionate colours of the fluidly designed phallic bottles, I was really expecting something powerfully seductive. Instead, what I got from Kenzo Amour was a cuddly synthesis of gourmand suggestions, what is now known as “comfort scent” – the equivalent of a chocolate, ice cream or a bag of chips on a lonely Friday night, watching cartoons on the couch and wearing pyjamas with matching cartoon character prints.

Kenzo Amour starts with a confusing floral bouquet – marketed as frangipani and cherry blossom. I smell a hint of rose and powder that is a déjà vu of Flower – one of Kenzo’s greatest hits. There is an underlining of powder and musk. The heart notes dive into a concoction of cherries and steamed rice, in a dessert connotation such as rice dumpling sprinkled with crushed raw peanuts; And a rather gentle suggestion of cherries – somewhat like a subdued version of Lutens’ Rahat Loukum. What saves me from drowning in sweetness is a slightly tart note, which I cannot quite place my nose on.

The base is powdery musk and vanilla, as in Flower, or the signature drydown of the Ormonde Jayne line (The tartness of Amour reminds me of the pink pepper and dates notes in Ta’if, and the steam rice recalls the basmati rice in Champaca).

As for the packaging: this is quite a lcever marketing stunt: three bottles of the same fragrance, in three different colours and slightly different shapes. These look great next to each other on the ad. But in reality, they look like an interesting take on clean Scandinavian and Japanese design gone cheap and sold at IKEA, after being molded into cheap plastic or ceramics, or worst yet – leather couches. I almost bought into it, and first bought the large freesia coloured bottle, only to discover that in this size it looks more like a vase than a perfume flacon – and the colour is all wrong, it’s orange and plasticky looking (anyways, when displayed on its own…). I suggest starting small, with the fuschia bottle, which is truly adorable (as long as you manage to get over the feeling that you are about to take a bite from a chicken’s drumstick when opening it).

benb's avatar

Alain Delon / AD by Alain Delon

Remember using this one for a while in the eighties. It is very well done but after a while I got tired of it. I am far more impressed by Iquitos.
    benb

deepthought's avatar

Sentiment for Men by Escada

Yes this does come across as synthetic. Yes it does smell fruity. Yes it does smell a bit peppery. The base notes do however get a bit overwhelmed by the mid and top notes here so it could come across as cloying to some noses. Horses for courses I think!

ichristofer's avatar

Agua Lavanda by Antonio Puig

Awesome, refreshing and classic. It amazes me that this fragrance is still so readily available and NOT in CVS!

markc's avatar

Racine by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Not a fan here. To me this is a bowl of the blood of a rodent, add lemon juice and then a bit of grass torn up at the root with soil dangling from it. Stir it all up and let it sit for a week. That's the vision I get anyway.

markc's avatar

Voyage by Nautica

Very light fresh clean, much like Zegna Z. Can't find much to like here.

Naed_Nitram's avatar

Trophée Lancôme by Lancôme

The Baron de Charlus once told me: 'Known among my circle as the Fencer's Friend, how we loved to bathe ourselves in Trophee Lancome after an invigorating bout of thrust and parry in the gymnasium! It was especially beloved of the Compte Robert de Montesquiou-Fesenzac, who once informed me: "Salty encrustations of male heat can hardly withstand its initial thrust of green citrus, still less parry its disarming development of sophisticated golden circles, light, warm and subtle! Fit for the Dauphin's groin! Or the perspiring pate of the man-at-arms! Or the damp armpit of the surly archer!" A great medievalist, the Compte de Montesquiou.'

omniray's avatar

Joop! Jump by Joop!

heey.. a nice fragance, versatile, comfortable, sexy between spicy-woody and some fruity/fresh base with a great staying power..

go ahead, and test it...

Quarry's avatar

Black Vetyver Café by Jo Malone

I haven't left a review for BVC? Gasp! I guess we take some of our best friends for granted.

BVC feels as much like a second skin as any scent I've sampled (that's 300+ and counting). Subtle, cozy, the coffee note is not strong--more akin to the strength of an empty coffee cup left over from breakfast, but it is perfectly supported by the dearest suspension of soft vetiver notes. Hinting at sweetness, BVC is entirely gender neutral. I'd like to smell this on any body, any age. The only drawback is its throw: It hovers close to the skin and can stand to be replenished every couple hours. On the plus side: This is the first frag I got a compliment on.