Fragrance Reviews from September 2006

zenpiper's avatar

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

If this is a classic, then I had better get my nose fixed. There is no complexity here. As one reviewer noted, it's missing something - maybe a smoky incense note, or whatever's in Creed's Vintage Tabarome. That said, it's OK to wear to a football game; it's not unpleasant. I get the feeling that the perfumer got this fragrance to a point and said, "Time for lunch!"

Ensoleille's avatar

Tabac Blond by Caron

I just purchased a decant, and after using sparingly and waiting patiently for the drydown, all I can say is WOW!!! I agree with scentmad01, it is sublime, utterly sublime!!
    Not your everyday sort of fragrance though, so I must make plans and find someplace special to wear it.

Turkish Hookah Dancer's avatar

Habanita by Molinard

This is a truly beautiful composition. Entirely out of the ordinary and surprisingly good quality. It has great longevity, still a whisper on the skin the next morning, and it has an appropriate, close ring of silage.

Top:
    The opening is a strong blast of myrrh and smoke on me - a harsh, metallic and sweet smell, reminiscent of the taste of blood . . . Edited: I find that the harshness and smoke I smelled in the jus from my miniature bottles is replaced in my full bottle by a fresh verdant blast of forest greens and leathery notes, with a gentle powderiness and mild smoke that's at once chic and barbaric (in all the right ways).

Heart:
    As this fragrance develops, the harshness of the top notes turns into clarity, and the smokiness takes hold in bonfire strength . . . Edited: again, in the full bottle, I find much less smoke, but instead the leather takes hold and vanillic qualities begin to come through . . . Leather begins to poke out over a bed of Turkish roses and other understated, but exquisite florals.

Base:
    Vanilla comes out full-force and plays off still-strong smoke and rich leather notes. This vanilla has nothing sweet or gourmand about it - it is merely the grounding, human embrace to reign in the intimidation factor of the sexy, fierce confidence of the strong smoke and leather.

Character:
    Habanita makes me feel like a wild woman out of an Angela Carter story – intensely sexual and entirely self-possessed. Much of our culture's associations with feminine strength is simply masculinity transposed to women or associations with nurturing motherliness- this fragrance, instead, is female potency, unapologetic, sinuous, sexy, and most importantly, strong.

This fragrance also happens to be downright mouth watering. It smells extremely pleasing, and so its sexuality and confidence is not intimidating. Because of its clarity and complete absence of girlish, candied, flowery, fruity or fresh notes, this fragrance can read as sophisticated and dressy as well as robust and sexy. It would be equally at home in daily life as an intelligent, cozy and sexy fragrance, or at the symphony or an upscale restaurant.

12th September, 2006 (Last Edited: 11th June, 2008)

Antaeus by Chanel

Masculine, yes. Classic? Definitely. But spritz on too much of this elixir even once and you'll likely regret it. Antaeus is proof positive that you CAN have too much of a good thing. Giving this baby a big thumbs up, but with a strict proviso: APPLY SPARINGLY.

Mackie for Men by Bob Mackie

Very pleasant, and can be bought on the cheap. Lots and lots and lots of positive reviews from others (male and female alike) on this one. A personal favorite for those days when I want to wear something light. Like Clinique's "Happy," and Dior's "Eau Sauvage Extreme," this one (for me) is always a "feel good" kinda fragrance.

Touch for Men by Fred Hayman

Couldn't quite put my finger on this barbershop-esque scent at first. Kept thinking of good old fougere-y Pinaud Clubman, but that wasn't it. THEN I smelled it and knew right away -- Neutrogena's Rainbath. That's "Touch," for you folks -- if you like Neutrogena's Rainbath, then you'll LOVE Hayman's (now discontinued) "Touch." Otherwise, skip it. Can find this one cheap every now and again on eBay, btw.

colormechris's avatar

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

To me, this is the scent of Paris. You know that when Parisian boys are wearing it, it has to be good. this one is as refreshing as lemonade in the summer and as warming as hot cider in the winter. It manages to be both light and full of character at the same time. Youthful and sage. Always uplifting and delightful with just a note of melancholy. An all time classic.

Joy by Jean Patou

I adore JOY. I admit at first I bought it because of its reputation. But after smelling the way it reacted with my skin I could not get enough. I get many compliments and questions everytime I wear it. The rose comes through beautifully for me at least. It brings to mind the times as a child when I stood in my mothers roses breathing deeply, without a worry of the thorns. Personally, I rank Joy and Fracas as my two favorites of all time.

Ralph by Ralph Lauren

This scent was a great dissapointment for me. I was in a hurry for an unexpected dinner meeting and had no fragrance in my purse. When I could not find any of my standards I let the sales lady talk me into this teen paradise. It was far too young and fruity for me. I was embarrased by the stench it made when it had been on my skin for a meer 45min. I eventually gave it to my 11yr old niece who loved it. I now shudder even to pass the bottle. Truely a miss for me.

Baghari by Robert Piguet

What a beautiful scent! I have two vintage bottles full and just cannot control my urge to savor the soft beauty of this work of art. I have not put it on my skin of course due to the age, however I am planning to buy the re-release of this fragrance before the new year. I understand it has had some revamping, but I have high hopes that it gives the same feeling of warmth.

Hanae Mori (new / Butterfly) by Hanae Mori

A really sweet powdery fragrance, I knew I had to own a bottle. I really do love it, but I have to admit, that after awhile, I did grow a bit tired of it. It is a strong fragrance, so be careful not to overapply.
    If you like this fragrance, but don't like the price tag, I did discover something interesting several years ago. The clothing store Hot Topic sells a perfume called "ragdoll" there which smells so closely to my Hanae Mori, that I have been able to fool people with it many times. I can tell the difference, as the Hanae Mori is definitely richer, but it is an interesting likeness.

Brit Red by Burberry

I adore the Brit Red! This is the first fragrance in a long time I had to buy in the biggest bottle! Gingerbread and Rhubarb! YUM! I can see this being a fragrance I could wear for years and years without tiring of it (so of course it had to be a limited edition sigh).
    I do find that it's wearing power is somewhat weak. It is very strong when you first spritz it on, and fades away much quicker than most of my perfumes.
    If you like the Red, you would also likely enjoy the Gold. They are quite similar in the dry down, though the Gold is more oriental at first, whereas the Red is more fruity. But I am not a fan of fruity fragrances, the Red is a very different sort, maybe it is the unusual rhubarb. I find the Gold lasts longer on me. At this point, I do not know which one I prefer, I love both, and I think that it is also quite yummy to combine the two! I get more staying power, and it is more interesting.

Fantasy by Britney Spears

Okay, so I am NOT a fan of Britney Spears, and not a teenager. So it almost pains me to admit, that I really like this fragrance, and bought it! You have to have an appreciation for sweet fragrances to enjoy this. If you like the sweet body sprays sold in Victoria's Secret, you might like Fantasy. I like it on warm summer days, it wakes me up and makes me feel cheery and ready for fun. It is a yummy scent, and while probably better for younger females, I happen to really enjoy it. If you are looking for a sweet fragrance with a more "mature" scent, other favorites of mine are the Hanae Mori Butterfly perfume and the Lolita Lempika. There is no comparision of the 3, but those are the other sweet perfumes in my collection that I also enjoy on those warm summer days.

Délices de Cartier by Cartier

I was excited to get my first sample of this after reading a write up in People Magazine about it. I tend to like sweet, soft and powdery fragrances, as well as spicy orientals. This one sounded right up my alley! I first tried the tester on paper and I already knew it was one I had to take home and try out.
    Once home, I tried it on my wrist and a little up my forearm. At first sniff, it was a sweet cherry, yummy and soft. As it wore on a bit, I could still smell it and still really liked it. But then when I put my nose to my wrist to sniff it closely, that was when it got strange. Up close, the scent changed on me, it ended up sort of smelling oddly like a tire shop!
    But yet, still without smelling it up close, from further away, it was sweet and I liked it.
    So now I don't know what to think! I would certainly not wear it on my neck, but if it only smells nice on me from further away, then I think rather than let myself smell like tires to my husband, I'll get this one for my sister (who tends to overapply) and enjoy its scent from further away.

deepthought's avatar

Tommy Jeans by Tommy Hilfiger

Nice, a very nice citrus with some echoes of Happy for men. Nice (I've said it twice).

deepthought's avatar

Rive Gauche Light by Yves Saint Laurent

There are those who believe that 'light' or 'lite' beer is an abhorence. Drain away the alcohol and you invariabley drain away the taste too. Making a destinctive, often divisive fragrance more palatable by straining out the very things that give it it's character can have the same effect.....

Balenciaga pour Homme by Balenciaga

Great lavender / bergamot opening balanced with greens and citrus. Almost from the start I get a mellow patchouli, too. It’s a classic beginning and elegantly constructed. The opening doesn’t last long—the florals and the sweet from the middle move in very quickly along with the patchouli from the base. I can’t determine much separation in the florals in the heart notes but it is a beautiful accord—not really masculine but not feminine, either. I don’t notice any caramel and to me the honey element is present but not prominent—the florals and patchouli dominate—but it is a sweet accord. Also in the background is a powder that adds a warm sensuality to the floral sweetness of the heart.
    Everything through the opening and the middle makes Balanciaga Pour Homme a very good fragrance. But with the base factored in, the descriptor changes from ‘very good’ to ‘superb.’
    I find the dry down is quite multilayered—carrying many levels and intricacies. The dry down features a delicate but prominent incense and cedar: The incense is splendid and seems the natural extension of the previous pyramid levels. It is supported by an aromatic cedar, lightly touched with the delicate sweetness of vanilla, and wispily shadowed by the earthy patchouli. It is brilliant. It lasts into the next day.

Iceberg Twice Homme by Iceberg

A thoroughly enjoyable fragrance. There are identifiable citrus notes in the opening but, to my nose, the mint is the most apparent element, and this freshness establishes the mood of the fragrance—bright and lively and very, very sweet, but not cloyingly so. The middle accord—floral and herbaceous—is a worthy successor to the energetic beginning; it is fresh, clean, and very sweet. The dry down—light wood with a touch of lime and a lot of sweet—is clean and excellent and long, long lasting. In fact, the whole progression of Iceberg Twice is a sunny, happy, day-long journey. It’s actually a little difficult to get across, without gushing, how pleasant and fresh and alive this fragrance is—another excellent fragrance that has been much overlooked.

Léonard pour Homme (original) by Léonard

An intriguing fragrance, Leonard Pour Homme opens with the complexity of citrus and herbs, which are already joined by the incense, leather, and castoreum rising up from the base. The leathery, dark, rich notes create a pensiveness and (yes!) melancholy that is palpable. The spicy / floral middle offers little change from the darkness because it, too, is shadowed by the leather and incense. Dark it is and dark it remains from the top, through the mid, and into the base. I can appreciate the prevalence of oily murkiness in this scent, but, I think this is a case where a little more planning should have been done: By the time the base is supposed to join the movement, the basenotes are already depleted, resulting in a short-lived fragrance. This is one of the few strongly leather scents that I can tolerate, so it’s a special disappointment to me that it is so short lived. But while it lasts, Leonard Pour Homme is mystic and lovely.

Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain

The civet is quite strong in Mouchoir de Monsieur and it is prominent for three or six minutes into the opening notes. When it has mellowed a little, what remains is a sophisticated lavender / bergamot accord that is classic French school—tasteful, artistic, cultured, with a touch of the nasty. It’s a adult accord, handsome and complete. The flow from top notes to the florals of the heart is smooth and seamless, as is the movement to the vanilla, moss, and amber base. It is a silky and rippleless fragrance, undoubtedly created in a less frenetic era than many of us experience today.
    Mouchoir de Monsieur has a real weight to it: the notes and accords aren’t heavy; that’s not what I mean. What I mean is that it is a mature, refined, and imposing scent; the civet adds a stability to those qualities that makes for an incredible sense of presence without olfactory oppressiveness. This scent carries the weight of authority, privilege, timelessness, and exquisite taste.

Rochas Man by Rochas

It took me a while to appreciate this one—I didn’t take to gourmands very easily, but Rochas Man is one that helped make me a convert. The lavender and chocolate and coffee and vanilla accords are just plain great smelling now that I accept them as scents rather than food. Rochas Man is beautifully structured and has an excellent progression from chocolate to floral to coffee. The dry down is rich and full. Since they are similar, Rochas Man is destined to be compared to A*men, and I believe that RM can stand up to the comparison. It is neither as complex nor as rich as A*men, but this is actually an advantage in my opinion—Rochas Man can be flamboyant but it is also capable of being more discreet and, therefore it is much more adaptable than A*men. Also, RM has that wonderful coffee note: Drink up! A quality and wearable fun fragrance.

Stetson by Stetson

Cleaning out the attic in the summer cabin, I found a small bottle of Stetson. I don’t remember ever owning Stetson (don’t even remember smelling it)—it was probably left by the previous owner, which would make it over thirteen years old. Of course I had to test it. After the harsh initial blast, it settled down to a lavender / citrus accord. The mid notes are a light wood and floral, and the dry down is a sweet amber accord. It really doesn’t have much longevity, but that could be the result of its age and its weathering. I actually found Stetson surprisingly ok—surprising because of its drugstore reputation, its age, and at least thirteen years of -30° winters and summer attic heat. Stetson is rather ordinary, but it is something I might wear for a casual occasion now and then. It really surprised me—I was thinking about giving it a thumbs up simply because it isn’t terrible.

Vendetta pour Homme by Valentino

The opening is lavender / citrus / green; it tends to feel a little perfumy to me – out of date. I blame it on the combination of lavender, geranium, and, especially, basil – the three of which form a long established classic masculine combination, and I think that a basil note is very difficult to employ in perfumery. This objection is nothing that can’t be handled because the perfumy nature doesn’t last long and the opening becomes quite attractive. The middle is a finely structured spice / floral accord which features an exquisitely utilized clove, bay rum, and jasmine. I am so pleased to find a classic fragrance that makes such fine use of bay rum – but I’m disappointed that the lavender still seems to hang around – the middle would be better without it. The base has too much leather for me, which is a shame because the base certainly didn’t need as much leather as it has because the amber, moss, labdanum, and (an excellent) oilbanum could easily form a full, rich accord without the leather. The fragrance doesn’t last as long as it should. I’m not as attracted to this as I was when I first tested it, but I enjoy it occasionally. The bottle is still one of my favorites. (Edit of 13 September 2006 review. Changed from a thumbs up.)

13th September, 2006 (Last Edited: 16th June, 2009)

Zino Davidoff by Davidoff

I really admire this one. It is so finely blended, balanced, and structured. It opens with a strong bergamot faultlessly joined with two strong aromatics (clary sage and lavender) and a powerful rosewood. I find this melding of four strong notes, while retaining the individual characteristics, quite amazing. The same with the floral middle…the individual floral notes are readily identifiable and wonderfully balanced—an accord of the prime floral notes: rose, lily of the valley, and jasmine each complementing each other and projecting clearly. And the dry down—Sandal, amber, cedar, vanilla, tonka—a rich, full accord, perfectly structured and balanced. The total progression of the scent is surrounded in smokiness by the patchouli that runs through it—a haze of etherealism for a subtle finishing touch to a beautiful, elegantly blended fragrance. I am impressed that so many strong olfactory elements can be combined and balanced so perfectly. Zino is an impressive fragrance—the best that Davidoff has to offer.

Terre de Bois by Miller Harris

A fantastic wood fragrance (with caveats). A full rich accord of vetiver / patchouli / verbena / galbanum creates a somewhat potent opening. When the juniper and Indian spices move into the mix, the scent becomes near exotic and on-target addictive. With time, the fragrance loses its potency and settles into a refined, understated light wood / light spice / aromatic heart. This accord achieves richness without excessive mass, and elegance with seriously-earthy accords (how do they do that?). I am surprised that it can maintain such a presence with so little body—maybe the galbanum is the secret. Of course this structure forces the scent to be quite linear—there’s no mass to contain the potential for movement, and I believe the rich delicacy achieved is worth the loss of variety and flow. But I think that the loss of longevity IS too much of a price to pay for forty-five minutes of rich and light ambiance. I would seriously love this to have better longevity. I can’t wait to try the EDP—it could be near perfection.

Fou d'Absinthe by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I agree with the rest of the reviewers: The absinthe in this fragrance isn’t the absinthe ‘whose very name brings a shiver.’ Actually I find it charming and addictive. But I don’t really mind the name because I could easily go crazy over this scent. To me Fou d’Absinthe is what niche is all about. It has some really special things going on in it: that dry, bitter-but-tangy-sweet-currents opening, those sweetly sharp Chinese spices, the smooth creamy liqueur accord, the patchouli for intensity, and the fir base to augment the aromatic impact of the herbs. And finally, it has its own story—the double meaning, ‘Crazy for Absinthe.’ These form one of the most intriguing scents I’ve encountered in a long time. I’m not exactly sure what ‘frosted spirit’ means, and I don’t seem to get as much ‘sweet’ out of the notes as the other reviewers. I don’t get a shaving vibe from any of the accords. I can smell the balsam fir note clearly, but to my nose it nearer to being recessive than to dominant. To me this is a wonderfully tangy dry herbal / spicy fragrance with a compelling sort-of-absinthe note which is more intriguing than exotic. It is beautifully balanced and structured and it certainly is masculine. I really love this fragrance. I’m not, at this point, sure of its longevity—it seems to fade rather quickly.

hirch_duckfinder's avatar

1805 by Truefitt & Hill

Hmm. Rather a strange marine. Great top notes in a quality oceanic style that vanish fast, to be replaced by a strong and persistent cardamon note which just seems incongruous to me.

Greenergy by Givenchy

A somewhat sad affair of one-dimensional green, lacking flair or complexity. It has with justice been compared to the original Paul Smith for Men: there is the same bright, pleasant opening sparkle of cut green grass about them both. But, like Paul Smith, Greenergy knows not where to go or how to develop. It simply lingers in a mundane haze of vague, flat greenery until, with some relief, it finally expires. While not actively horrible, Greenergy functions rather in the fashion of a green stain upon the pristine white waistcoat of Monsieur de Givenchy or the dandified frilled shirt front of Givenchy Gentleman. A fairly pleasant but rather mediocre scent from the House of Givenchy. (de Charlus).

Insensé by Givenchy

Shades of the original and wonderful Nino Cerruti Pour Homme - but gone wrong. Taken a bad turn under a cruel moon. Pale midnight flowers of metal, sweetly blaring, sweetly glaring, garish, insidious, and somehow harsh. An evil spell seems to surround this potion. 'From the hag and hungry goblin/That into rage would rend ye/And the spirit that stands by the naked man/In the book o' the moons defend ye!'

Monsieur Rochas by Rochas

Everybody's favourite uncle, so his niece Clothilde once observed, he bore the marks of a superb distinction, impeccable taste and rumours of royal connections. Yet he was the most modest of men and possessed of such quiet warmth and charm that you could hardly help but bask in his amiable presence.
    Ladies always smiled at him, men acknowledged him respectfully, children felt comforted by his gentle shadow. His symbolic colours, despite that pink and delicate hue, murmured of soft browns flecked with warm tints of gold. His smell: smooth and kindly harmony of reserved herbs and spices, soapy and clean, full of gentleness, nobility and depth.
    As his housekeeper so frequently reminded me: 'Ah, that Monsewer Rochas, wot a gent! We'll never see his like again!'