Fragrance Reviews from September 2006

Naed_Nitram's avatar

Ambre Russe by Parfum d'Empire

Extraordinary effusion of rich golden brown. The diplomat's delight, the Prince's luscious vice. Why, even Ebenezer the Puritan might secretly lick his lips on encountering Ambre Russe. Take me careening down these potent liquid corridors, past the chambers of beautiful society ladies, past the dressing room of the distinguished Arch-Duke struggling with his truss, five hundred golden mirrors, a thousand secret assignations, ending up in front of the Ambassador's office, a sophisticated if suspect fellow, oozing power and charm. (de Charlus).

Jaïpur Saphir by Boucheron

This and La Parisienne are my Holy Grail scents. I adore this scent because it's feminine without being too sweet or the tired, old fruity / foral stuff we're inundated with these days. It is cool and velvety but not too icey. It's unique but not too far out like Lolita Lempika. I feel so serene wearing this.

La Parisienne by Holzman & Stephanie

When one has been searching for their Holy Grail scent for decades & finds something so right, well, it's a true joy to wear. Such a scent is La Parisienne for me. It sings with a sparkle of aldehydes, apple notes, & linden. It glows with rose & jasmin. Ahhhh how I love this scent. But bittersweet is the fact that it's production has been suspended. A prayer that Esther Holzman recovers and starts selling this again. It comes in an absolutely gorgeous hand-etched bottle.

KL by Lagerfeld

KL for women is so absolutely yummy & sexy! Its predominant notes are clove and tangerine, but it is smooth and rich, a little bit like Femme by Rochas. Very va va voom. Wear when you want to be delicious. One of my favorites.

Gem by Van Cleef & Arpels

This is a gorgeous fruity chypre in the same family as Femme by Rochas. It is so classic & elegant I recommend it for formal evening events. Pity it's discontinued.

Borsalino by Borsalino

I agree with Naed, this is a very nice scent but not terribly unique. It is great for a man to wear to the office. I think a very substantial & distinguished man would wear this.

Havana by Aramis

Here's a woman's opinion: I have my bf wear this and nothing else, if you take my meaning. Ditto desmond - dead sexy!

robyogi's avatar

Jardin du Nil by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Jardin du Nil is not the most pleasant of MPG's. As the other reviewers have commented, it has a very ripe - overripe indeed - fruity top note, which I find to last almost throughout. This note (or maybe accord) reminds me of stinking, rotting fruit, too sweet, pungent, not totally unlike the smell of an organic compost pile. Once this fades, it becomes a more mainstream scent: light floral, fruity, with maybe some light vetiver. By that time it's outworn its welcome, as this payoff in the end cannot balance the effort required to make it through the top and middle. Longevity is average. Though it's not, one might wish sillage was absent.

robyogi's avatar

Soir d'Orient by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

A surreal, almost magical scent. No other scent I can think of is more deserving of the word intoxicating. The oud smacks you in the nose the minute this touches your skin. Exotic, medicinal, and pungent, and, as some have said of it, both “high” and “low,” oud seems to add a wet earthy woodsy quality to a scent that both envelops and supports the other notes. Of all the oud scents I have tried - quite a few when you count the Montales - this is by far my favorite. It is masterfully blended. Within 15-20 minutes the oud has melded into the overall scent, adding an exotic air of mystique. The rest of the scent is equally dark, compelling, and mysterious. Amber, leather, and some herbal notes, maybe some vanilla as well...imagine Ambre Precieux crossed with Lonestar Memories – and of course add a dash of oud – and you'd be on the right track. Darker and more leathery than Ambre Precieux, smoother, classier, more refined, and not as earthy or dirty as Lonestar Memories, Soir d'Orient has a wonderful, intoxicating, head-spinning effect. And with notes like oud, amber, leather, and vanilla it of course lasts a very long time. I only wish it were more readily available...

wicozani's avatar

Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada

Eyebrows raised, quizzical look on face, my trusted assistant stammered..."Sir, did you by any chance dare to mix your sample of Burberry Brit with some saffron oil?"

I was finally getting a chance to try this new release. I was quite excited to do so, based on the olfactory pyramid that I had taken notice of. I was very impressed at first application; my assistant should have smelled it then! Quite surprising was the extant of citrus I could appreciate, along with pleasing floral, musk, and myrrh notes. This goodness lasted all of about 20 minutes, and thus began the quick slide into middle-of-the-road, amorphous sweetness. I could not appreciate very much amber accord, nor much woods, nor any vetiver. Perhaps all these notes are there, and just seamlessly blended. At any rate, the drydown strikes me as moderately sweet and fruity, though I fail to see any fruits mentioned in the notes. It's not that sweet, but the combination with the fruity accord renders it similar to Burberry Brit, or D&G By Man (minus the spices), or many other sweetish, fruity scents. While many will like this a lot, I'm sorry to say that I do not.

Wicozani

Lisalucia's avatar

Insolence Eau de Toilette by Guerlain

I absolutely love this scent. It's a very fun fragrance that once worn smells more like fresh laundry than sugarary sweet. It is not overpowering yet lasted me through a 10 hour work day & is still leaves a slight trace.This may be my new signature scent.

Ensoleille's avatar

Narcisse Blanc by Caron

I tried Narcisse Blanc for the first time today. It starts off kind of soapy-sweet, but the dry down is very light and refined. I think the "lady-like" descriptions are very accurate. A nice alternative to the modern fragrances for women that are available today.

areko79's avatar

Iran Iran

Bois Farine by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Another different perfume by Jean-Claude Ellena.
    Ellena has specific style in producing perfumes.
    all fragrances have defects but L'Artisan's & Hermès's are lower than others.
    it is acceptable than many people don't like it, that is very sweet, but IMO it's not repulsive at all.
    Bois Farine is floral-powdery & buttery sweet fragrance, it is smooth & enjoyable all time.
    Bois Farine is a harmonic orchestra, that Jean-Claude Ellena is the conductor.

codruta's avatar

Russian Federation Russian Federation

Max Mara by Max Mara

I tried it once and I found it quite fruity and fresh and for a change, unlike other fragrances, it did not lose its original notes after it dried out. Usually any other one would've completely changed its scent in contact with my skin, but Max Mara didn't.
    "Presence d'une femme" almost did the same thing (for 1 or 2 hours), after that it changed into something less pleasant. So, if you like the smell of black berries (that's how I perceived it) it's really great.

TaoLady's avatar

Mare by Beth Terry Creative Universe

Agree with Robyogi that this fragrance is more gardeny than beachy but it is sweet in the personal not the nose sense and has a nice breeziness. Since I live at the beach where deciduous trees grow right down to the water's edge and the summer season lasts until October - this is a winner for me!

colormechris's avatar

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

I really wanted to like this one when it first came out because it was so self-consciously artsy or rather, fragrance as "art". I tried some at the local scent counter and liked it at first but then it started to annoy me and it just wouldn't go away. Then, like so many others have mentioned, I literally got a headache from it and felt kind of nauseated.
    It was like my head was a Janpanese tea house and those naked guys who bang gongs and hang upside down came in and drank way too much sake with the geishas who were wearing way too much gardenia and then the tea house caught fire and burned to the ground.
    It's the Hiroshima of men's fragrance.

vdxxl's avatar

Romania Romania

De Marco by Oriflame

an extraordinary fragrance.I did not like this at first but it has an excellent and pronounced sensual drydown.It is also very long lasting.

BlackAmberMoon's avatar

Jungle L'Éléphant by Kenzo

Jungle L'Elephant is one of the most extraordinary perfumes I have ever smelled. Even if I didn't love it, I would still admire it. Very simply put, it's asian spice market meets Christmas baked goods, with a smooth undercurrent of creamy licorice tying it all together seamlessly. Musky woods, ylang-ylang, and patchouli hover in the background, lending the composition an animalic sensuality. Longevity is superb, and it continues to develop hours after application. Many reviews classify it as a gourmand, but I have to disagree: woody oriental better describes it. Jungle is too dry and sophisticated to be lumped into the candy-vanilla category.

Jungle is a quirky, eccentric fragrance, and therefore likely to be appreciated by quirky, eccentric people. It will never be a crowd pleaser, but those who love it REALLY love it. I'm one of them!

13 September, 2006 (Last Edited: 28 August, 2009)

capri's avatar

Baby Doll Paris by Yves Saint Laurent

The bottle and the name are lovely and I like the concept of a fun loving baby doll a lot. however, I would never wear this fragrance. It's sharp and tangy. I think the citrus element isn't balanced the way I usually like. Maybe if it was warmed up more I could appreciate the fruits.

SniffQ's avatar

Eau du Soir by Sisley

A rich, complex herbal fragrance with great sillage. Not for those who like sweet or orientals. it blooms and changes over time. The base doesn't have that chemical musk smell. I have a difficult body chemistry, and turn perfumes into awful concoctions. But not this one. Didn't experience the sharpness some have mentioned. Just a great fragrance with lasting power but not enough to fill an elevator and make everyone else notice.

gkinsky's avatar

Vetiver by Guerlain

I agree with a previous reviewer's comment that this is not a "modern" fragrance and should be judged in that context. This is an extremely masculine fragrance that has a strong, spicy, and earthy base that remains potent for hours and hours. It's such a unique scent, that I save it for special evenings out on the town. One thing to keep in mind, I've had my bottle for a few years, and the juice seems to "sour" after a few years.

pluran's avatar

No. 19 by Chanel

Overcast October skies
    New York cool wind
    Leaves and leather on your feet
    A million dollars in your room
    Iris narcotic...No.19

Edit: Reformulation has left it pale with a semi-sweet fruity drydown that has nothing to do with the bone dry animalic green chypre it was; full of natural musk, ambergris and castoreum that made the original one of the most intelligent and sensual fragrances ever made.

13 September, 2006 (Last Edited: 08 July, 2014)

Clayton's avatar

Blu Mediterraneo Tuscan Cypress / Cipresso di Toscana by Acqua di Parma

I'm generally crazy for conifers (pine, cypress, juniper, I like 'em all), and I have no fear of the household cleaner / car deoderiser association that many seem to dread. But this is really more about citrus, with aromatic herbs and cedar bubbling up from underneath. Overall, a nice, undemanding cologne that's suffers from its innacurate handle.

Cognoscento's avatar

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

After seeing all the controversy, I had to smell this for myself. I can see why this polarizes people - it's very strong, and the first blast is a shock. To me, the big blast of patchouli combined with the alcohol carrier was almost skunky.

This lasted for quite awhile, and then the feral sharpness began to balance with sweeter notes. After about 15 minutes, the sweetness began to predominate, and I began to like it. Finally, awhile later, I began to get the chocolate vibe. So to me, there were four discreet stages, and I really liked the final result. Every so often during the next few hours I'd get another nice waft, with yet more subtle differences.

It was a valuable lesson in testing something beyond the top notes; it's about the most complex drydown I've experienced. I like the complex chocolate character a whole lot. To me, the smells are palpably sexual.

gimpy's avatar

Ungaro III by Ungaro

This is not really like any other modern scents. More 80's in nature, but not over the top. It's a heavy-hitter that's dark, masculine, but still sensual. Though this is not an Envy sensuality we're talking about here, but a dead one. Think dead roses, over wet wood. It's like some place you've been in a dream, some place in the past. It puts you on edge, yet still allures you.

lunarpanic's avatar

Boss in Motion by Hugo Boss

I don't get vanilla or powder, just harsh, sharp chemical fumes reminiscent of cheap shower gel marketed at men and used in gyms. Citric bleach. Gag.

marco's avatar

Vetiver by Etro

An underrated marvel. A woody-earthy scent; to my nose, it is the woody component that dominates, and the scent is perhaps more about precious woods and resins (somewhere in the line of CDG Palisander) than about vetiver (although a vetiver of the earthy kind is clearly perceptible). Makes me think of sitting in a mahogany sawmill. Practically no topnotes, little sillage, not very long-lasting, but any addicted wood-lover is guaranteed to keep sniffing his wrist every 10 seconds.

mokelembembe's avatar

Euphoria Men by Calvin Klein

Not the thing to love or hate. Just a cologne to try or not. Doesn't matter. You loose nothing, you acquire nothing.

Eau de Gucci by Gucci

Very soft, powdery & feminine. I wear this when I just want to smell girly & unobtrusive.

Volcan d'Amour by Diane Von Furstenberg

This is one of my best loved fragrances. I received it because a perf friend bought it on ebay & thought it had "turned". Having said this, obviously it's not for everyone. It is a really bold chypre with a big basil note that some chypre lovers shun. It is the scent I wore in the 80's to clubs that could get you noticed. I hear DVF has a garage full of it because she loves it so much.