Fragrance Reviews from September 2006

pandabear25's avatar

Aqua Allegoria Mentafollia by Guerlain

Aqua Allegoria Mentafollia Perfume by Guerlain, Cool And Invigorating, Aqua Allegoria Mentafollia By The Design House Of Guerlain. This Refreshingly Cool Blend Of Mandarin, Mint Leaves, Rose Petals, Jasmine, Green Tea, And Cedar Wood Is Perfect For A Summer Afternoon. As for my own personal review I really enjoyed the fresh burst of mint, it really is invigorating. However, I tend to be drawn to and ejoy wearing warmer fragrances. This is nice if you are going to be outside on a really hot day, otherwise it would make a nice linen spray.

pandabear25's avatar

Bijan Black for Women by Bijan

I bought this on a whim. I liked the unique black circular bottle and the scent is nice and non-obtrusive. I just wish this lasted longer on me. It just becomes a soft musk.

supermarky's avatar

Mûre et Musc by L'Artisan Parfumeur

oops I got this instead of meme by mistakie

it's a 20 year old bottle 4/5 full. it has sediment in it.

it's still fantastic

wish it lasted longer though although I enjoy spraying it liberally and often when wearing so...there is that...

but even better would be if that were not necessary

the_good_life's avatar

Germany Germany

Incanto pour Homme by Salvatore Ferragamo

Some fragrances are simply meant to be worn, not sniffed, test-carded or partially applied. I did Incanto injustice , having already mentally discarded it after a few test sprays which left me with the impression of an uninspired wispy floral bore. Luckily I decided to apply it liberally and wear it outside and lo and behold - it turns out to envelop you in a fresh, green, elegant and subtle haze of pleasantness. As stated in the other reviews, this will not raise eyebrows, but that's precisely the point. A very good choice for conveying style and sophistication in the summer season. On a side note: If "Incanto" is this subtle, what can "Subtil" be but distilled water?

the_good_life's avatar

Germany Germany

Silver Scent by Jacques Bogart

I was so looking forward to Silver Scent, being a worshipper of the original Bogart and a huge fan of Witness. Alas, this is one of the most preposterous propositions for a fragrance to be worn by humans I have ever come across. It reeks before you even open the package. Imagine the cheapest imaginable synthetic orange scent as used in 99 cent toilet cleaners or the no-budget stuff they use to mop schools and government buildings. Or those little stinky trees olfactorily challenged people hang in their cars. That, my friends, is Silver Scent, a monstrous insult to the art of perfumery and every nose that must bear this execrable violation of not just good but any taste. I cant even get beyond that opening (and neither does the pefume, apparently), one spray has practically made my appartment uninhabitable. Thumbs down all the way to Hades.

ubuandibeme's avatar

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

I'm in agreement with nearfantastica's review - especially that Armani Code is a 'James Bond' scent! I bought this for my husband and when he wears it...I turn to putty! It's slightly fresh and not too "perfumey". Manly!
    I think the tonka in the base keeps it close and sexy. Also purchased the deodorant which he likes very much. Thumbs up for sure!

Number 3 / Le 3me Homme / The Third Man by Caron

Caron fragrances for men are usually unique, unusual and excellent, so its no surprise that the 3rd man continues that tradition. 3rd man exhibits one of the most fluent transitions from top, middle and basenotes that I have witnessed. A sharp lavender note dominates the top notes, with the anise bringing about a slight spiciness to the proceedings. A few minutes later, the floral middle notes make an appearance - I find that this phase doesnt last long. The sweet, slightly earthy (must be the oakmoss) base finishes off the presentation but the interesting thing is that you can still smell a bit of lavender in there. Infact, as the fragrance goes from top to basenotes, the lavender slightly diminishes in presence from one level to another - and by the time the basenotes come into play, it stays in the background like a "third man" or helper.

It may not be as amazing as some of the other reviews make it out to be, but with great longevity, sillage and composition, its a darn good fragrance and a worthy addition to anyones collection.

LP No.9 for Men by Penhaligon's

(C)love Potion No.9 starts off in a promising manner with smooth citrus notes. However these are fairly short lived and what you experience next is what this fragrance is all about - clove, clove, clove, which I dont love, love, love, at all. The notes pyramid is quite varied and on paper/webpage sounds dynamic. However in actuality, this is a clove-based fragrance, with a bit of cinnamon thrown in. Heavy, slightly cool, clove. All other middle and basenotes are hardly perceptible to the nose.

If you like clove, you will love this; if you dont, well then this will be too much of a one-note fragrance for you to handle since it has monster longevity and sillage. Depending on your love of clove, this is either a 5-star or a 1-star fragrance. I know which camp I am in.

acrylic-hunter's avatar

Pakistan Pakistan

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

Well! For some reason it always smelled cheaply fresh and I could never get this fact out of my head...never had this feeling that I smell great and that, I beleive is the most important thing...doesn't matter if u get a complement or two. Exchanged it at the first opportunity and never felt at loss.

1280adam's avatar

Relax by Davidoff

I just got this about a week ago, and I can see what LushLife means by the cough syrup, with spices and vanilla mixed in, but that smell fades after about an hour and then ...WOW it's amazing. You don't need many sprays to give off good sillage with Relax. Everyone should get this for their own collection, you won't be dissapointed...

Ensoleille's avatar

Poivre by Caron

This is such a wonderful fragrance! Although I adore the warm mellow vanilla/amber/leather finish; I wish that the peppery top notes lasted longer. This is one I definately have to keep sniffing on my own wrist all day long.

janmeut's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

I like the pepper top, but the olibanum (that appears in the heart, not only in the base) makes it even better. I usualy am not a leather fan, but in this perfume it is great.

There is also a drawback, after about ten minutes it is hard to smell anything else but frankinsence, which makes it a bit boring and flat.

So thumbs up only because I am a huge olibanum/frankinsence fan.

14 September, 2006 (Last Edited: 02 June, 2008)

Koureas G's avatar

Cyprus Cyprus

Bulgari pour Homme Extreme by Bulgari

Extreme lasts longer than the original Bvlgari pour homme but doesn’t have the quality of the original Bvlgari and is synthetic.

Samsara by Guerlain

Would LOVE to have a men's version of this. I've worn it once or twice, but it remained altogether too feminine on my skin. (Unlike Shalimar.)
    Great stuff.

Coriolan by Guerlain

VERY long lasting on me, and quite pleasant all around. Probably not one for those under 35, though, nor for climates over 35. (A definite winter fragrance.)
    Pity they've discontinued it. Let's just hope they leave Samsara and Mouchoir de Monsieur and Shalimar and Jicky alone.

H.O.T. Always by Bond No. 9

Marvelous fragrance -- a personal favorite now that I've bought a bottle. VERY like Givenchy's Gentleman, yes, VERY much so. Like Gentleman, though, bear in mind that a little goes a LONG way. More cinnamon than Gentleman, too, and just a touch more of the grassier notes. VERY, VERY nice -- lots and lots of compliments from both sexes whenever I spritz this one on. Bought a tester on eBay for under USD$40.00, too -- great buy!

Eternity Rose Blush by Calvin Klein

A beautiful scent, like the original Eternity mixed with rose water. I didn't buy it when it was first launched, and have only ever seen the small 30ml bottles in airport travel sets (purple, red and original Eternity) since. Beautiful.

Angel by Thierry Mugler

I'm afraid I had to sell my bottle of Angel just days after buying it. The first time I wore it,I had to take a shower and change my clothes soon after.

Don't get me wrong, I love this fragrance...on other people. On those with pale, less sallow skin,however, it simply sours in an instant.

I still use Angel body products but stick to Angel Innocence perfume- a lighter, much more wearable version of the original.

Popcorn by Demeter Fragrance Library

Smells more nutty and home-made than the cheap buttery stuff you find in cinemas. Quite a dark, sweet smell; not at all light and fluffy.

Beautiful- but as with all Demeter fragrances, the smell disappears the minute it's out of the bottle. Can we have an eau de parfum line please?

's avatar

Insolence Eau de Toilette by Guerlain

Much too sugary sweet and simple for me to appreciate it – I think it's a bit of a disappointment considering I love Guerlain. I know they have tried to create a fragrance for young women, but on the 'lighter' side of Guerlain, Apres L'Ondée is so much more preferable and interesting to me.

alleysmom's avatar

Mitsouko by Guerlain

I guess I'm not too good with differentiating peach and oakmoss, but the first thing that came into my mind when I smelled it for the first time is that it smells like a girl who has a really rich grandfather - a grandfather who sits in stuffed leather chairs and drinks brandy. It smells rich.

Alleysmom

Uomo? Moschino by Moschino

Uomo? Moschino has quite interesting and engaging spicy / floral-with-a-touch-of-citrus openers. The use of cinnamon with clary sage and ‘transparent coriander’ creates a rather edgy accord that straddles the line between intriguing and revolting; the problem is that when I apply it in the morning, I don’t know which of the two directions it’s going to choose that day. It is a moody fragrance, or maybe I’m projecting my own lack of grasp on it (whether it’s citrus, floral, spice, or herbal dominant—not that it matters when it takes the ‘intriguing’ route.) But on those rare occasions when it decides to turn on me, it’s scary. It can get really rude. Well, it does add intrigue and suspense to those days I’m daring enough to apply it. Whenever I use this scent, I feel like I’m being the unwitting dupe of some kind of inside joke.

Quarry's avatar

Cabaret by Ayala Moriel

I received a small sample of Cabaret in a swap. At first sniff I thought, this is too "busy" for me (I have a low tolerance for any spice, preferring soft floral scents). Upon my first trial wearing, I noticed an opening rose note, and in a short time a totally new fragrance made itself evident to me. It must be the massoia bark! The next time I wore Cabaret, it seemed like I flew right past the other notes and zoomed in on the massoia. Funny how, even though massoia is a scent peculiar to itself, it connotes wood--amazing how our nose/brain know to classify such things. I don't know how much the amber and vanilla are sweetening this new-to-me ingredient, but the effect is very compelling. I'd like Cabaret as a potpourri. The fragrance is just moderately long-lived on me. In sum, I'm very eager to try more Ayala scents.

Deep Forest by Bogner

Fine fragrance though all but impossible to find now. Even when it was available it was impossible to find, but worth the hunt. Clean, powdery, slightly floral - warm notes. I don't get much in the way of pine, but it's a comforting long-lasting fragrance. (It is slightly similar to Herbissimo Marjoram, which is quite inexpensive and pretty good).

Lalique pour Homme by Lalique

My cousin brought me a mini from Paris and I just put some on now. I don't like it. Sharp and sour. It improves in the drydown, however. It will ultimately disappear and I will like that best of all.

YSL pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Fun to read the other reviews. YSL was something I wore in the '70s but wasn't crazy about. And - as with some of the others on Basenotes - found Eau Sauvage more to my liking. Now I don't care for Eau Sauvage at all, and may revisit YSL. I think it was first discovering Hermes eau d'Orange Verte (which, when first launched, was called, simply, Hermes) that gave my nose a real lesson in fresh citrus.

But, back to YSL, it always smelled like fine lemon soap to me - but then my nose was young and foolish, so I might like it better now.

Desire Blue by Dunhill

Desire Blue has a bright fresh opening and then fades into a sweet alcohol-rub kind of thing. Perfect for NFL linebackers or anyone else with a single eyebrow.

Pour Un Homme by Caron

I tried this after reading what a "brilliant" creation this is. Or was. Maybe for 1934. But it smells a bit dated compared to some of the other fragrances out there.

Caron Pour Un Homme starts off with dominating notes of lavender - the lavender isnt as sharp as in Carons 3rd Man, but it is there and noticeable. The notes pyramid indicates a fragrance with a lot of variety and transitions about the various note levels - however, it seems as if the middle note phase is missing. As the top notes of lavender fade away, in steps vanilla...big time. This fragrance is all about sweet sweet vanilla. Infact, lavender and the vanilla are the two dominating notes. The sweet sillage that the vanilla creates can be cloying at times (and yes, it does last too).

While the mix of lavender and vanilla is well blended here, many will find this fragrance to be dated and just too sweet for men. I know that women like Caron Pour Un homme. But to me, this is just too two-dimensional and sweet to wear on a regular basis. Carons 3rd Man is where its at.

desi_amg's avatar

Chic for Men by Carolina Herrera

am i the only one who gets a hint of nemo in this, i recently bought nemo for myself and my friend chic from dubai, and once i smelt it on him, i thought they were near enough the same.

areko79's avatar

Iran Iran

Envy for Men by Gucci

As if old smells poured in Gucci Envy.
    reminds me of Old Spice, Obsession & Pleasures - all of them are timeworn.
    Artistic combination of junky perfumes.
    Gucci Envy is expired.