Fragrance Reviews from September 2006

Cabotine by Grès

This perfume starts out smelling like Diamonds and Emeralds (by Elizabeth Taylor), and then later smells like Dilys (by Laura Ashley), only without the alcoholic breath part. It lasts a long time on my skin. Not my kind of scent, as it smells kind of bath oil-like, and bath beads kind of make me nauseous. But this perfume is a little more floral than a bath bead, and hence, it's actually a little enjoyable, after the initial bath-bead smell.

DKNY Be Delicious by Donna Karan

This perfume smells like Curve, to me. And I cannot wear it, for the same reasonsI won't wear Curve. It reminds my husband of all irritating women he used to encounter when he worked in a movie theater.

Alien by Thierry Mugler

The name intrigued me. The purple bottle with silver-colored metal, that drew me too. The lady at the counter sprayed it on a cotton ball, and it's PURPLE too! I've never seen a purple perfume before this one. I rubbed it on my skin, and it smells just like Poison to me. Poison, the perfume, that is. But the Alien bottle is way cooler.

TaoLady's avatar

Jala by Lea St Barth

Right out of the bottle it smelled like grapeseeds (??!!) then like a strong gust of freesia. Settled into a warm sort of gardenia and wafted up like Bermuda breezes for the rest of the day. LOVE this for summer!

coastfansocal's avatar

Vintage by John Varvatos

yuck yuck yuck

it smells like a cross between chocolate, cloves, marshmellows and coffee beans. It gave me the worst head ache of my life.

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Thin and watery. A scent I could envision the cartoon character Aquaman wearing (while under water). Actually, its really not that bad of a scent. Its just incredibly boring.

Allure Homme by Chanel

Allure Homme creates a most impressive balance between Citrus and Wood notes, one that really works. Then, the Jamaican Pepper adds a nice subtle bite. Great opening, nice drydown, one of my top 5 favorites. Works well with my skin. This one is a winner. Bravo Chanel!!

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

Slightly too complicated in its note composition, D&G delivers none the less.
    A strong intricate citrus opening gradually transitions to a great wood drydown. A likely prefered scent for those who like Orientals. I disliked it at first, now its one of my top 5. Its longevity on my skin is impressive. As previously mentioned, good sillage.

Envy for Men by Gucci

Envy is soooo disappointing. Not because the notes and scent are bad-- but because they are so incredibly good. I like this scent much more than the Gucci Pour Homme campfire scent. But as stated in other reviews, this particular scent stays so close to the skin that you might as well spray it up your nostrils to achieve noticable effect (at least for me). What's the deal????? Gucci, please get with the molecular program and revamp this EDT. I want babes to pick up on the scent and notice me, not notice me and then pick up on the scent. Well, technically the later works ok, but kinda defeats the purpose of a good EDT.

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Opinions of course are relative, but I just don't get it when it comes to the popularity of this scent. The opening reminds me of a doused campfire that has been burning pine tree braches for the past six hours. Drydown is the same. It certainly does have longevity, I give it that. Maybe someday I will like it more. Maybe I have just spent too much time camping.

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

This has to be one of the strangest scents I own. It opens way too strong with the aformentioned Robitussin medicine scent, but transitions to a quite pleasant wood notes scent. What the heck? To me, this scent is more of a side show attraction than a cologne--i.e., its really weird at first, but as time goes on you start to get used to it, and may even like it. It is certainly deserving of a spot in my weird Christmas coffee mug collection. Maybe I will give my M7 to a relative for the holidays, but nah.... its too unusual to give away.

FCUK Him by French Connection

I like the name, but I tried the fragrance and in my opinion it SCUKs

Vera Wang for Men by Vera Wang

Actually this is a really good scent with a really nice balance and mix of notes. Problem is the scent runs away from my skin faster than the roadrunner dodges falling rocks.

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

Right now one of my top five. As with Chanel Allure, it gives a great mix and balance of citrus and wood notes. Transition from opening citrus to wood/tonka Drydown works. Hard to be disappointed with this one. Simplicity of note structure works great. Very likeable, especially if you prefer oriental spice scents.

Corduroy by Zirh

Actually the notes of this scent open quite nicely. Very similar to Chanel Allure which is currently my favorite. Problem is the drydown of Corduroy turns to chewing tobacco. Oh well.....

French Lime Blossom by Jo Malone

I should like this more, but I don't. On me it's starts loud and sharp and then. . .well, there is no dry down. It smells exactly the same way for 12 hours. No softening, no deepening. Just the same yelling of lime leaf and what seems to be strong soap. The body wash, however, is totally different. Lots of soft bubbles in a sexy, soft scent.

Grapefruit by Jo Malone

As a citrus lover, I bought the body cream and the fragrance. The first rush of grapefruit is so sublime, I thought I'd found my second-skin scent. Alas, not. Within an hour it no longer smelled of grapefruit, but of white flowers. I'm not a white flower lover. And not once I got a whiff of that amazing grapefruit zest, that delightful, perfect scent match.
    Great if it works on you!

Verbena of Provence by Jo Malone

A fragrance to love--and to mix with others. It's light and lovely, doesn't last really long, but it pleasantly woody without being vetiver-ish. It wears well with the nectarine body cream and wearing it with the fig and cassis body cream also works on me. On it's own, it's gone too soon. But a fragrance you can wear anytime and any day.

Oyédo by Diptyque

Yuzu, herbs, blast of citrus. Sharp sparkle, lift-me-up-give-me-hope, then a disappointing drydown.
    Wet fruit washed with strong soap, left to dry in the sun. Stays at mid-note with a vengence. And stays and stays. The body wash is lovely. I use it to wash my delicates and its a great fresh feel.

Whitefluffy's avatar

Mille et Une Roses / 2000 Et Une Rose by Lancôme

This is very elegant, pretty rose scent. Not grandma or hippie rose oil. Starts out as very fresh and light rose but weighed down beautifully by sandalwood in a drydown. The best rose smell I have ever smelled.

15 September, 2006 (Last Edited: 20th March, 2012)

Mario Justiniani's avatar

Cuba Cuba

Epicéa by Creed

Well, I've got good news and bad. The good news is that this is a splendid pine fragrance with mint and spices serving to enhance the scent. The bad news is that the entire show will be missed by any human being that is not next to your skin. So unless you plan to make love in the forest, or to constantly sniff your own wrist, or skip humans altogether and give your bloodhound a treat, this frag can be somewhat frustrating. Sillage sucks.

Longevity is poor.
    No it's not as poor as, say, Eau d'Orange Verte ( What is?) But it's undetectable after an hour, unless you have a vivid imagination, or a great memory.

Having said all that, if you owe either bloodhounds or humans amends by having worn synthetic junk--like Pino Silvestre---Epicea truly has THE natural forest feel. I suggest huge bottles. Bathe in the stuff if you can afford it!
    Surreptitiously reapply throughout the day and enjoy a magic Winterland. Cheers.

16 September, 2006 (Last Edited: 05 August, 2009)

Mario Justiniani's avatar

Cuba Cuba

Bitter Orange by Agraria

Embittered. Sour and cheap smelling in comparison to other orange frags. Pass on this one

Ayala's avatar

Chinatown by Bond No. 9

Opens with a sweetness of five spice blend – comfortable yet strange, bizarre and juicy from hints of a lusciously sweet peach. A complex floral heart of white florals that are hard to identify and of which the gardenia is most dominant, underlined by a coarse-voiced murmurs of, warm, dirty patchouli and burning Buddhist sandalwood incense joss sticks. Slightly fishy, like the dried exotic seafood sold by the merchants in Chinatown, softened by the powderiness of vanilla and musk. Dry down of cedarwood, and the hints of smoky, rosy guiacwood. Chinatown might need some time getting used to and is a very unique and unusual scent. Caution: do not wear in extreme heat and humidity.

Elf's avatar

Rose Essentielle by Bulgari

I love smelling actual roses but I am put off by practically any rose-centered perfume. Stella gives me an enormous headache. Yves Rocher Pur Desir de Rose is minimally acceptable because it's closer to a carnation. All that disclosed, I really liked this rose scent. It's not overpowering, it's gentle, with just a little spice, and a little powdery sweetness to accent the central motif. I'm still not willing to wear a rose perfume, but if I had to, say, for a rose party or something like that (OK, no idea why I'd have to wear rose perfume) I would choose this one. And for those who love roses, I think this one is really quite special.

kewart's avatar

Présence d'Une Femme by Montblanc

My sister sent me a small bottle of this for my birthday, because she thought it smelled like a feminine version of Jean Paul Gaultier's Le male, which I had raved about when her partner wore it at a wedding. She wasn't wrong! It is a sensuous, warm scent which dries down beautifully and is quite similar to Shalimar as well.

oolong's avatar

Zirh by Zirh

Fresh, clean, upbeat... Nice enough summer type fragrance but to me anyway it is an undistinguished entry in a crowded area of the fragrance field. If I wanted something like this, I could easily find about 10 fragrances which are close enough that I would end up choosing on price rather then scent.

rach2jlc's avatar

Cavalli Man by Roberto Cavalli

Weak, boring, and completely lacks distinction. It's not a BAD scent, but it just has no backbone. It smells like virtually every other safe, middle of the road, boring designer fragrance from D&G to Bulgari. The bottle is the best thing about it, but I was hoping for something as sexy, edgy, risky, and playful as Cavalli's fashion (something like an Italian-ized Bel-ami... perhaps the most manly scent around). Instead, all I got was a boring, fresh scent that wears off in no time at all.

Marescialla by Santa Maria Novella

Dear god. I can't believe this was intended as a women's scent, as Basenote's lists it. The SMN website for the NY distributor (Lafco) says this is unisex. It smells masculine to me. Good lord. Masculine in a bad, bad way. Apparently, Marescialla means Mace, as in the stuff that is inside the shell of nutmeg...and is used as a weapon. This is not far off. It is literally unbearable for about 30 minutes. It gets into your sinuses like wasabi, which makes sense considering what it is. It mellows out - a little - but not enough to warrant wearing. It's bitter, herbal, pungent, dry, as well as greasy - smells like something I've used in the garage, I just can't put my finger on what. Maybe GoJo, that greasy hand cleanser with the chemical smell. This smells like a chemical weapon. If a mob is after you, apply liberally; otherwise, avoid contact with skin.

Acqua di Cuba by Santa Maria Novella

An unusual tobacco scent. Very sharp, almost acidic tobacco notes throughout followed by a dark, musky drydown that enters skanky territory in the base. Lasts a good while, about 8 hours or so on me, but the last stages would be trying for many. In fact, all stages would be trying for many! Something about the acidic nature of the tobacco in this puts it into the "dated" category of scents that I associate with older men. I will say it's the closest I've smelled to a real cigar, but there's also something a little mildewy about it. I wanted to love it, but have to go neutral.

Muschio Oro / Gold Musk by Santa Maria Novella

The other reviewers have nailed it. It's got the same powderiness as SMN's Musk (which is like Villorsi Musk Light), but amped up big time and with a sharp, bright golden vibe. Powdery, soapy - smells a lot like a very strong Johnson's Baby Shampoo or maybe Dial soap - and strong, tons of sillage. It's got that piercing, shimmering yet powdery quality that characterizes those scents. The "musk" is the vegetable-based musk like SMN's Musk (Muschio), and it's got a slick, dusty, rooty quality that I think gives it an incense-like vibe. Odd but not bad. Just not something I'm likely to wear, especially at $85 a bottle!