Fragrance Reviews from September 2006

Vaniglia / Vanilla by Santa Maria Novella

All those who are looking for a natural, herbal vanilla smell, look no further. Like real vanilla, it's sweet but not cloyingly so. It's herbal and natural, unlike most vanillas used in fragrances, which to me smell like cheap vanilla ice cream. This smells like vanilla extract. But, that's about all it smells like. Lots of projection and good longevity, but I like a little more complexity in my scents.

Muschio / Musk by Santa Maria Novella

This is nice, and sort of out of character for the house. It's soft, smooth, powdery, almost dusty or incensey musk, I'm guessing because it's the plant-derived musk. Reminds me very much of Villoresi's Musk, only this is softer and not as floral. It doesn't develop as much either - just a linear, soft, close to the skin powdery musk. Pleasant, but doesn't wow me. Lasts longer than you would think given the low sillage and soft character. I'd say it's slightly leaning to the feminine side.

Pot Pourri by Santa Maria Novella

Another bizarre offering from SMN. It starts off as an unbearable mess of bitter, caustic herbs and fruits. Like Marescialla it is almost a weapon in its potency. As it dries, it softens considerably, and while not unpleasant, doesn't strike me as a skin scent so much as it seems a house scent. I would much rather burn this in a candle or spray it in a room than wear it on my skin. It smells like...potpourri. Dried, almost fermented fruits, and sharp, pungent spices (is this the mace...again!?!). Not bad, but just doesn't make sense. Maybe it's just too dated to be pulled off nowadays.

Nostalgia by Santa Maria Novella

Very much like a vintage car - leather, oil, gas, even rubber - in the topnotes. Like all SMNs I have tried, it has massive topnote potency, very strong to start. The action fades quickly though and it picks up a musk and vanilla quality, with just a touch of the leather and petrol notes remaining into the base. The base is also a little soft for my taste. Longevity could be better as well. All that kind of bummed me out because the topnotes were a real rush: very avant garde, unique, interesting, inspiring even. It got my blood flowing a little. Then it tamed down too much for my taste. Warm weather would probably keep it interesting longer. All said, it's a very hip scent and worth a sample at least.

Peau d'Espagne by Santa Maria Novella

I'm not sure it's tabasco that it smells like, but there is a strong bitter, peppery, herbal quality (maybe that SMN mace again), especially in the topnotes. I don't see any relationship to Cuir Mauresque. If I can compare it to anything, I'd say it's about midway between topnotes of Knize Ten and the topnotes of Lonestar Memories - only here, this smell lasts at least through the midnotes and into the base a little. And this isn't as good as either of those. Imagine a harsh, dirty, herbal quality on top of a rich, strong leather. Very masculine, very strong, and definitely not for everyone. Like Lonestar, it doesn't last as long as you'd think given the potency of the initial blast. Not for me I'm afraid. The herbs ruin it for me.

Chypre Rouge by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Somewhat of a disappointment from perhaps my favorite house. Starts off reminiscent of Sables and Eau Noire (has to be immortelle) - a smell I can only describe as both sickeningly sweet and unpleasantly bitter at the same time. Then it shifts to a smell of caramelized pecans, sweet, nutty, smooth, and almost gourmand. The further it dries, the mossier it gets; it's also slightly powdery far into the drydown. It just didn't wow me. Maybe because of the somewhat gross opening; maybe because even the most pleasant part - the pecan middle - was still a little too sweet for me; maybe because it wasn't as dark and interesting as I had hoped; maybe because it didn't last nearly as long as most Lutens last on me despite being a stronger concentration. Maybe with time this will grow on me...but I have my doubts. For now, it's middle of the pack, with average longevity.

Pour Un Homme by Caron

When two things make a perfect One
    Like Mani Padme goes with Om
    Quand la vanille embrace lavande
    It’s Daltroff’s Caron pour un homme!

Tsar by Van Cleef & Arpels

The name Tsar evokes the splendor of gilded onion domes, Western Enlightenment (as in Peter the Great) meeting Eastern opulence, perhaps a whiff of Russian Orthodox incense. But alas, this is just the stuffy tired smell of an exhausted, brained-drained aristocacy at century's turn, leeching off the people while devoid of inspiration, vigor, life. Bring on the Revolution I say, and off with their empty heads.

Tumulte pour Homme by Christian Lacroix

At first I was enchanted by what appeared the loveliest melody of cedar. But soon I learned the true nature of this creature, a mechanical contraption made to fool naive romantics such as myself, uttering its soulless, hollow tune without variation, a punch-card aria of everlasting synthetic monotony.

JF by Floris

JF is definitely no Green Irish Tweed (GIT) clone. There is a slight fleeting resemblance, but its definitely its own fragrance.

JF opens with lots of bright citrus notes - the lemon is especially prominent. An entirely different opening than GIT. The transition to the middle notes introduce a sour element to the fragrance - armoise, a herb, which brings about a sour (but pleasing) citrusy accord. By comparison, GIT has an earthy middle note smell brought upon by the use of violet leaves. JF lacks the distinctive ambergris drydown of GIT too.

I dont think JF deserves to be compared to GIT since its not a GIT clone. What it is, is a sour citrusy fragrance with decent sillage and longevity. Although more complex offerings abound, JF is a decent if unspectacular fragrance which may be worth your time if you havent already been spoiled by GIT or Imperial.

Tam Dao by Diptyque

Tam Dao is one of the most lauded fragrances from Diptyque line, and while it is a very well made fragrance, there are a few issues which keep it from attaining total glory.

Tam Dao introduces itself with a burst of piney and green note of cypress. This sharp note combines with cedarwood to give a woody smell, which then leads in to the main heart of sandalwood. Thats where the evolution of this fragrance stops, and you get to experience a rich (albeit) dry interpretation of a sandalwood note. It does it quite well, that "treasure chest" smell. Unlike MPGs "sweeter" Santal Noble, this is a "dry" sandalwood. The longevity is great, and sillage is fantastic.

Unfortunately, after a couple of hours with no evolution, Tam Dao can get boring and feel "unfinished". I prefer something like Creeds hard-to-find Bois De Santal, which takes the sandalwood note itself through various transformations. If you are looking for a fragrance with a solo performance by the sandalwood note, Tam Dao should be at the top of your list. If you want a fragrance with a sandalwood heart with a supporting act, try Bois De Santal or some of the other offerings.

OS Signature by Old Spice by Procter & Gamble

Tried a sample of this. The opening is sharp and fresh (the lime dominates), with a slight marine accord. The drydown is a weak musky base. Pretty average really.

signature's avatar

Chypre Rouge by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Maybe Serge Lutens just isn't for me because I found this to be one of the most unwearable fragrances that I have ever smelled. With a scent that I would imagine is reminiscent of what would happen if you took Basala and boiled it down to a syrup and added whatever it is that makes Serge Lutens so sugary sweet(it must be a seperate secret ingredient), I cant say that this fragrance has character or is just difficult to wear, it's just bad. But I guess that is how art is supposed to work when it is for its own sake and not for the enjoyment of the person experiencing it

areko79's avatar

Iran Iran

L'Eau par Kenzo pour Homme by Kenzo

From spraying to drydown it's steady smell is stable in my nose.
    it is proved for me L'Eau Par is the only consedirable perfume by Kenzo.
    it's very simple and this simplicity is not bad.
    overall it was not surprise for me.

areko79's avatar

Iran Iran

Arpège pour Homme by Lanvin

I agree with Matt - this stuff is similar to Burberry Touch but is more tolerable than it.
    tough it's opening is a bit like
    Dior Homme and promising.
    i dont like Arpège at all - because i am very allergic to it.

abyssofthesea's avatar

Halston by Halston

I absolutely ADORE the bottle...but the fragrance...oh so sorry to all you Halston lovers out there...there is something in it that makes me so ill! Even the thought of the smell brings back a gnawing nausea in the pit of my stomach... Guess I'm a "cinnamony spicy type of gal..."

coastfansocal's avatar

Nutmeg & Ginger by Jo Malone

The Ginger is nice but afterwards in about an hour all you get is nutmeg. If you are a die hard "All spice" lover and ginger lover get this..but...people told me I smelled like Christmas Cookies and a Christmas Tree.

Its not really masculine and its not really feminine...literally, you smell like warm christmas cookies and egg nog (all that nutmeg) its not bad..but only if you really like it.

Also keep in mind that this is an ok scent. While this was Jo Malone's first scent..its not her "Wowzers that smells so good, different and great" type colognes that people stop you on the street to ask you what you are wearing ( Think Grapefruit,Orange Blossom French Lime Blossom,Amber & Lavender, and Lime Basil Mandarin)

Those 5 scents I just mentioned by Jo Malone are truly unique and unlike anything else on the market. Not a bad fragrance but I dont think its really worth buying..unless you LOVE Nutmeg.

The Verdict: Proceed with Caution.Not a bad scent, but is it worth buying? Thats up to you

RiveGauche2006's avatar

Weekend for Men by Burberry

I like, very clean and light, and sporty, i wear it throught the week though :o)

RiveGauche2006's avatar

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

One of the best, I wear it in the fall because it has that fall vibe to me, very strong and loud, if the two mix, and very distincitve, i loved it right off

Bois Farine by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Bois farine is a rare fragrance that i didn't like to smell in the bottle and love to wear. It's sweet and generous, and I adore the wheat smell, which smells of kitchen and love to me. I don't get as much of the peanut top note as others, for me it is a more subtle wood note that underscores the flour-powder feel. A delightful creation.

Thé Pour un Été by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Jasmine tea, with a lemon slice and an extra dollop of sugar. I love the fragrance one day at a time. I am a lover of fresh citrus fragrances, and this one is a little too sweet for me. But irresistable, still. Which is why I love it for a day. In the summer that may be two days a week. I find it nothing like Bulgari's green tea, which I find to be less sweet, but also less complex. I love the short complexity that this fragrance tumbles through.

Daim Blond by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Daim Blonde is a mysterious fragrance that captures pale suede--which is what it is named for. The drydown stays close to the skin, with a fragile, brittle aroma that is at the edge of interesting and not what I want to wear. It is a fragrance that needs to be tried over time to develop a love for it.

Flowerbomb by Viktor & Rolf

I have survived the explosion of Flowerbomb. Is this a good name for a fragrance? And do I want to buy something in the shape of a hand grenade? Well, it's a violent experience of flowers that will certainly get the (shocked) attention of everyone around you with the noise of fragrance. One of the reasons I wear perfume is to experience the flow of a fragrance from top note to drydown. Flowerbomb doesn't do that. You put it on and it stays that way till you scrub it off. Or surrender. It should be called Flower Claxon. Perfect for someone who likes a lot of attention over a long period of time. Unfortunately, not for me.

Miel de Bois by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Feral honey with darting golden eyes caged in a raw, dark wood container for its own good. Not a fragrance for someone who wants to smell "nice" or "girly." An adventurous fragance that settles down and stops growling and attracts the curious and interesting.

Aoud Lime by Montale

Aoud Lime tempted me with its name, but I it doesn't smell like lime. Instead, after I inhale it, I get the memory of lime on my palate. I get a complex mix of soft/sharp, then a rush of very interesting, rich, fragrance built into a precious wood container. It dances through the notes and settles into a wonderful, subtle, close-to-the-skin fragrance. I own Clive Christian's X (for women) and it resembles it closely, at one third of the price.

Amandes Orientales by Montale

Had I not smelled this fragrance before I saw the name, I would never have bought it. Almonds and vanilla sound like such a common, bland combination, I would have passed it by. But I smelled it on someone first, then bought a sample, and then could not resist it. On me it creates a rich, complex, warm fragrance that makes me feel comfortable, surrounded by rich, soft fabrics. It lasts all day, and clings to clothes so they welcome you back. I have gone so far as to use one spritz into the dryer when I am drying sheets and towels. I weighed this carefully, the fragrance is expensive. And worth it. It's the only vanilla fragrance I love.

Mandarine Tout Simplement, by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I adore this fragrance. But it is the one night stand of perfumes. On me, it does not last five minutes. So I spray, sniff, love it and watch it evaporate and leave. It's uplifiting, fun, delicious, sunny, fresh, and gone. Buy a big bottle, and soak yourself in it. It's worth it!

h_len's avatar

Israel Israel

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

smells great on me (i'm a woman). just love it.

pookerella's avatar

Vanille Abricot by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

First off, this fragrance is for WOMEN. Not MEN. Second, you have to be a fan of REAL Tahitian Vanilla, which is different than the plastic vanilla most people are accustomed to. Regardless, it is HARDLY disgusting. FAR, FAR, from it.

I LIVE in this fragrance! When I got a paper sample in a Sephora catalogue, I could not sleep until I got it. People tell me I smell great when I wear it....kind of like cotton candy. Also, when it dries, it is reminiscent (to some people) of fresh cut wood, believe it or not. All in all a great spray on and go fragrance that will have everyone asking ..."what are you wearing?"

pookerella's avatar

Mon Peche / My Sin by Long Lost Perfume

This is my all time, gotta have it fragrance. I was DEVASTATED when they discontinued it. I have written them many times and they CLAIM they are reissuing it, when, I have no idea. Thank God for eBay.

Don't bother with the current copies. Do yourself a favor and visit eBay and just search for My Sin or Mon Peche. There are enough bottles of it left to satisfy every female who ever loved it. You can usually purchase a bottle of the EDP for about $35-$50 and most times it's good enough to wear, if not a little strong at first. I think the Irma Shorell company is a fine company, but IMHO, their version of My Sin pales in comparison to the real thing. I am not a fan of My Sin EDT or EDC. Extrait or EDP is the only way to go. And you can still find tons of them on EBay.

16 September, 2006 (Last Edited: 24 April, 2008)