Fragrance Reviews from September 2006

citkane33's avatar

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Very interesting fragrance and definitely wearable when used moderately. 3-4 light sprays are plenty. You don´t want to over apply A*Men, ever. I suspect that a great deal of the people who find it repulsive, simply use too much of it.

Astor by Geo F Trumper

The impression I had when I smelled Astor for the first time was: "Damn, that stuff really smells soapy! Almost like big pile of fresh laundry."
    Well, after a few minutes of wearing it it became one of my all time favourite fragrences.

It somehow smells like VERY clean and fresh fir needles; spicy, masculine, woody... I don't know.. simply nice :-)

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

I think the best way to discribe it is "Interesting" and sophisticated.
    Unfortunately I'm not one of those blessed ones who can weare it and it seems to just smell great and lasts for.. dunno... years.. My friends say it does smell on me the way it does on the guy who "presented" it to me but I don't really have the inpression :-(

Anyway... The fragrence rocks although it could last a little longer for it seems to vanish within an hour when I wear it.

Culture by Tabac: Egypt Dreams by Mäurer & Wirtz

smells sour at first but fast developes a misterious sort of sweaty but cold breadth.
    I was asked about a hundred times what fragrence this is. Seems to be extremely populare in student circles.

Mario Justiniani's avatar

Cuba Cuba

Pino Silvestre by Silvestre

Moldy crypt summed it it up best. Although Eau d'Ungeon would not be far off. If this is your take on " The Great Outdoors" you have been held hostage in the basement for too long. Good luck chewing through the barbed wire and making your escape. I can say 2 nice things about it: Funky bottle and cheap price. There is no third.

Would Gomez Addams like Pino?
    Naw, he'd probably wear Savador Dali PH. This one is strictly for Uncle Fester.

02 September, 2006 (Last Edited: 19 June, 2009)

Elf's avatar

Orris Noir by Ormonde Jayne

A decadent, Arabian-style perfume with rich spices and dusky floral notes, with the "Ormonde-ade" drydown. This one is strong, heady, knock-your-socks-off beautiful, to be worn with black velvet on an evening at the opera. Though classic arabian oils are used, it's very much a Pilkington scent,and just a little English around the edges.

Hex_queen's avatar

Poison by Christian Dior

I begged for this and got it from a boyfriend. I quickly tired of it, it was too strong, obnoxiously. I ended up giving it away but made them promise never to wear it around me.
    I never smelled berries or incense. To me berries should smell like a blackberry patch heated by the sun, so there's a silky thick pool of intoxicating, sweet blackberry heaven. The same with raspberries or strawberries.
    Loved the pretty bottle though.

Joe_Frances's avatar

Green Valley by Creed

Green, fresh, just a tad minty. This is an excellent spring-summer high end sport fragrance. Wearing this, one is reminded of an exclusive golf course or tennis club. In fact there is IMO only one scent that is similar, and that is the VERY, very hard to find "Par Four" by Detaille, which is not on the roster here, but is also a top sport fragrance. I wore GV for about four years, and will get it again one day. One of the few fragrances I acutally ran out of before I ran out on it.........Excellent in every way for a scent of its type.

Joe

knightowl's avatar

Stetson by Stetson

Me and Stetson get along just fine. Smells good and gets complimented often, and the price is right. What more can i ask for?

supermarky's avatar

L'Eau d'Hiver by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

yuck

am trying to recall exactly what this reminds me of, some flowering bush, only the flowers smell more like choraophyll than nectar. mountain laurel?

me no like it smells kind of .... spinsterish (?)

supermarky's avatar

l'eau de parfum #3 green, green, green and green by Miller et Bertaux

why do some scents get coverage here while their sisters languish?

I got a sample of this. . . it starts off very boldly with a pungent citrus/lime. Appealing, but I thought, this isn't the intended effect; I've put on too much.

In less than half hour it had faded to a very polite discreet leafy scent.

doesn't do a heck of a lot for me but the name and packaging are boss!

themeglet's avatar

Linden by Demeter Fragrance Library

This is one of the most wonderful fragrances Demeter has to offer. It is light, airy, and captivating... remarkably reminiscent of the smell of pink mimosa blossoms (i.e., the lightly sweet-smelling "puff-ball" flowers of the silk tree). There are also underlying hints of green that keep the scent balanced, and never too sweet or overpowering. It also reminds me somewhat of that Bed, Bath and Beyond "Egyptian Cotton" linen spray, or even Laura Biagiotti's Venezia Pastello (my HG fragrance). The downside, as with all Demeters, the scent is rather short-lived (but lasts much longer if sprayed on clothing). A nice light-green floral, highly recommended.

zztopp's avatar

New Haarlem by Bond No. 9

I am not fan of gourmand-y fragrances. To many times I have observed that such fragrances are too sugary, too heavy, too cloying and too "foody" (yes, I know the proper application technique..I do go easy on the applicator). I always wished for a (gourmand) fragrance which would be 50% gourmandy, and 50% citrusy or woody - the later 50% to provide diversity of notes so as not to overdo the "foody/chocolatey/coffee" theme.
    New Haarlem is the gourmand I was looking for all this time. It strikes the perfect balance between being primarily a gourmand scent while also being diverse enough in its notes pyramid. The vanilla coffee notes are extremely blended and balanced out by the citrus and the lavendar notes; at no point will you feel suffocated by the "foodiness", yet you will still smell the rich coffee/vanilla notes on yourself in balanced moderate amounts. I cant stand A*Men..yet I went through a New Haarlem decant within a few days, and now its on my must-buy list. Great stuff.

zztopp's avatar

Chinatown by Bond No. 9

Having been disappointed by many of the Bond no. 9 releases that I have experimented with in the past, its great to see that the two recent tries have been thumbs-up worthy...first, New Haarlem, and now Chinatown. Just like New Haarlem, Chinatown is a sweet, almost gourmandy fragrance which has enough variance in its notes so as not to become an overwhelmingly saccharine and cloying fragrance.
    Upon initial application, its the peach note which is the most noticeable; Chinatown then incrementally transforms to a sweeter stage after hitting each of the succeeding note levels. The basenotes introduce a floral component but I smell a tangy orange note in the mix too. The base is quite woody and sweet thanks to a cardamom, vanilla, patchoulli and sandalwood mix...but amongst this nectareous syrupy mix, you can still detect the peach and orange notes. Longevity and sillage are great, although the bottle is a little too feminine for my taste. A great warm weather and comfort offering, Chinatown ranks as one of the best from Bond no. 9.

cK be by Calvin Klein

unique, long lasting, mmmmmmmmmmm

this is a nice one

Elements Aqua by Hugo Boss

Just got this one

Sweet, likeable, a bit like a light version of Givenchy Xeryus Rouge (on the basenotes)

It's growing on me as we speak

I think this is going to change as it warms on the skin - good one!

Eternity Summer for Men 2005 by Calvin Klein

Hi

Just bought this one (2006) - if it's the same one - It's much nicer than ordinary eternity

Clean, fresh and has a drydown that end up like grey flannel - violets - lovely and clean - definitely a thumbs UP

ToadKings's avatar

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

This scents holds a special place in my collection. Mainly because it was formed the year I was born, 1986. I would like to consider this my signature scent, if I had one. To me, Obsession smells like sweet soap. I love the notes of amber, lavender, and nutmeg in this one. I can also smell a hint of cinnamon. The mid-notes and and base notes of this oriental are the best part. It is a very sweet yet woody smell at the same time. It has great sillage and longetivity on my skin which will make me smelling clean and good for hours. This is CK best creation and a great scent to add to any collection.

Eau d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal

This begins like Lemon Pledge or some kind of floor cleaner, but give it time. The dry down is beautiful. This is a very neutral citrus. If I were to buy a bottle, it would probably replace my current "office" fragrance-- Bvlgari Extreme. I actually prefer Les Nuits d'Hadrien, however. It is stronger and sexier, as the name would indicate.

Angel Garden Of Stars - Peony Angel by Thierry Mugler

I bought this for my mother, who was previously a wearer of Angel Innocent. Neither of us can pull off the original Angel, as we find it much too strong. This is a much more palatable gourmand, in my opinion, with peonies being the best complement to the Angel composition. I do enjoy Le Lys, however, but I prefer the Peony Angel to all other Garden of the Stars fragrances. I find that like in Dune by Dior, this fragrances masters the art of blending peonies so that they do not stand out on their own. Usually, peony fragrances carry a strong resemblance to rose fragrances in their sweetness and strength. However, this peony prefers a supporting role.

Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker

Hm... This is not lovely at all! Too musky; all I smell is musk, musk, musk. It is similar to Britney Spears' Curious in the floral/musk composition. To me, it smells a bit like sweaty Secret (yes, the deodorant). However, to be fair, my friend who loves light florals loves this.

Songes by Annick Goutal

To me this smells like a relative of Trouble by Boucheron. It is also distant cousin to Fracas, L'Instant de Guerlain, and Hypnotic Poison. It is not very unique in my opinion. Additionally, the strong frangipani note gives me a sinus headache.

La Nuit's avatar

Argentina Argentina

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I don 't really see this worn by a man! I agree it starts gender neutral with a subtle masculine touch but it rapidly gets powdery and feminine throughout the vanillic french 'nougatine' drydown. This musk is sexual, any hot confident girl should own this modern sensual oriental.

tlc0717's avatar

Allure Sensuelle by Chanel

I love this fragrance. Not to strong but stays on all night! I get so many compiments on this every time I wear this!!!!!! Thumbs up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tlc0717's avatar

Magical Moon by Hanae Mori

I bought this from Nordstrom thinking I would love it because I love hanae mori butterfly. This one is pretty but does not compare to butterfly. It is a clean sweet scent but I feel would get to me after a few hours of wearing itr so I gave it to my friend. Sort of reminds me of something an older aunt would wear. Sorry, not a favorite!

punky913's avatar

Samsara by Guerlain

I am a Chanel girl through and through but I am sold on this fragrance. I passed it by so many times because I thought it was going to be too spicy and heavy for me. I always equated Guerlain with the older generations. I am 32 and cannot get enough of this scent. It lasts all day, isn't too heavy and is just very pleasing overall. I am glad that I finally took a moment to smell this wonderful fragrance and I think I'll be requesting more of this one in the future. It kind of reminds of Chanel No 5 but without the punch. My mom wears Chanel No 5, I love the scent but don't necessarily want to wear what my mother is wearing. This has its own identity, yet just as lovely and sophisticated.

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

Back in 1985, I accidentally left a chicken fried steak in one of my purses for two weeks. I could not find the source of the smell! It was most irritating! When I finally found it, it had leaked grease all in my purse. I couldn't get the smell out of that purse, afterwards.

A few years later, I noticed there were a whole lot of guys going around smelling like a two-week old chicken fried steak. Turns out, they're wearing this new cologne called "Obsession for Men." Even now, I can't smell a guy with this on, without thinking of rotten chicken fried steak.

The ironic thing is, all the cutest guys were wearing this. So I get weird mixed feelings from smelling this cologne! Revulsion and attraction. . . .

You can smell a guy wearing this a mile away. It's strong and has staying power.

Paris Hilton by Paris Hilton

I saw this perfume at Wal-Mart, and I really wanted to sniff a tester first, but couldn't find any! So, Ms. Hilton's company ended up with my $9.99 for a small bottle. It isn't bad. It smells a whole lot like "Sunflowers," actually, and there was a time when I really liked that scent. However, these days, I'd prefer something a little less girly to wear to work. This would have been a nice scent if I were 10 years younger.

Spirit by Antonio Banderas

This is a stinky cologne. But, just as with Obsession for Men in the late 1980's, the cutest guys are wearing it. So it becomes very distinctive for me. I follow it with my nose, and it leads me to a hottie. I wish I knew what it was that makes it stink so bad! The bergamot, perhaps?

Margareta's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Bright Crystal by Versace

It seems like I am a Versace-fan! I do like Bright Crystal very much, as I do with other Versace-frags!
    The first sniff was a dissapointment. Just another floral... It was after 15 minutes I started to like it. And I liked it more and more the longer it was on my skin. The drydown is almost powdery and beautiful, and also very longlasting on me.
    If you are interested in this frag. give it at least a try on your skin, and let it develop for several hours before you form an opinion abut it.
    Thums up for Bright Crystal from Versace-fan Margareta.

02 September, 2006 (Last Edited: 10th April, 2011)