Fragrance Reviews from September 2006

dr.Trost's avatar
    dr.Trost

Sélection Verte by Creed

My favorite fragrance. Very refreshing, lasting but not too long.Definitely not invasive. Citrus and mint, perfect for after work out. I bought a large bottle, finished it and will buy the second.Never happened before.

16 September, 2006

Elf's avatar
    Elf

Fumerie Turque by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This one is just unreal. I hate tobacco scents but I crave this. The tobacco is very dominant, naturally, but other notes play and intertwine and do all sorts of magical things. I've really never smelled anything like this before and it's well worth the retail price from Paris. Just save up and get it!

Bois Farine by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I bought it blind because of its consistently wonderful reviews from reviewers I trust—this turned out to be an unfortunate investment. Bois Farine is a total disappointment—raw dough! Raw peanut butter cookie dough for about an hour then nothing. Six times I tested it and six times I got an hour of raw peanut butter cookie dough—then zip, zilch, nada.
    The seventh time I sprayed the back of my hand with five sprays (I’m normally a one spray person). My hand looked wet and Bois Farine dripped from between my fingers, but with that I smelled something like what others seem to be experiencing: a warm doughy smell (yawn), then powder, and then a kind of wet cedar / sandalwood (yaawwwnnnnnnn). Ah ha! So that’s it! I have to swim in it for this fragrance to partially work. I’ve worn it, heavily applied, about a half dozen times now, and I have found that it’s a nice fragrance but absolutely nothing special—call me crazy, but I just can’t get excited about raw peanut butter cookie dough.
    I don’t know if the problem is a weak fragrance, or my inability to smell the scent, or my skin’s inability to retain the scent, or all of the above. In any case, this is not a scent for me.

Adidas Team / Team Force by Adidas

Adidas Team opens with a well-done grapefruit and juniper accord—to my nose the grapefruit is more prominent and the whole opening is very fresh and clean and brightly aromatic. There is a floral—jasmine—added to the middle notes and the middle is pleasant enough, but not as pleasant as the opening. The dry down is woody (I don’t get much tobacco), not too dry, not too sweet, and very, very, generic—yes. Adidas Team is an ok scent. It could use more longevity, but does hold value for the money—certainly it is a great alternative to AXE.

Animale for Men by Animale Parfums

I like to blind buy fragrances—there’s an element of risk and adventure in it. But these blind buys do not always work. I liked Animale Animale so I was prompted to purchase Animale blind—a bad decision. Just smelling it was punishment enough for that stupidity. Everything about this scent is really tasteless, beginning with the plastic encased bottle (I was warned—it’s the same one that is on Animale Animale). Then the fragrance…the opening notes—citrus and floral—are dime store gaudy and synthetic. The lavender is grossly abused. The middle notes are sharp and synthetic, and the base continues the established pattern of sub-mediocrity. If I were to ever apply the label ‘stinker’ to a scent, this would be my prime candidate.

Armani Eau Pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

I like the basil-lemon-petitgrain opening—it’s quite agreeable even though it has some of that Lemon Pledge thing going for it. With Eau Pour Homme I seem to suffer olfactory fatigue very quickly, and have to avoid sniffing it for a fifteen minutes time-out before I am able to smell it again. I can’t determine much difference between the top and mid notes. I don’t seem to pick up on the lavender or spices in the middle, but the accords are pleasant, if not memorable. The dry down, though, is a gentle and decorous wood / moss accord that is attractive, endearing, but doesn't last as long as it should.

I remember trying this out in the early 90’s and liking it… but I didn’t like it enough to replace Eau Sauvage - which I had been wearing for twenty-five years. I still would like to love at least one Armani fragrance, and this is one of the few possible candidate. In many ways it’s a pleasing fragrance and I find very little to dislike in it, but for whatever reason, I don’t like it enough to purchase a bottle. There are better fragrances of its type out there. (Rewrite of 28 May 2006 review.)

17 September, 2006 (Last Edited: 16 June, 2009)

Carrera (original) by Carrera

Clean and discreet in a traditional '80s way: It was a good office and day scent, and highly wearable. I had a bottle and wore the fragrance for a few weeks but dropped the bottle on the ceramic floor. The bathroom smelled wonderful for a week or two. I never replaced the fragrance... I should have...

17 September, 2006 (Last Edited: 18 March, 2008)

Colors Uomo by Benetton

Bright, sweet citrus opening — lemon drop sweet and lemon fresh. It is a very clean accord that, while not especially sophisticated, is certainly pleasant. From the start there is already a strong vanilla influence from the base that endows the entire fragrance with its sweetness. The transfer from the citrus opening to the aromatic coniferous middle is seamless. One second I’m smelling vanilla citrus and the next I’m smelling vanilla cypress — a naturally evolving movement which provides loads of sweet freshness. With the base I don’t get any patchouli; I get cedar, vanilla, and amber. The base very quickly loses most of its energy and becomes a subtle sweet drydown with the vanilla predominating. This fragrance happens fast: It has a longevity problem. I like it — it has some flaws but it is quite a good scent…especially considering its cost. (Edit of 17 September 2006 review.)

17 September, 2006 (Last Edited: 30th November, 2009)

Culture by Tabac by Mäurer & Wirtz

The fragrance opens beautifully with a bright, lively grapefruit / green accord that is just plain invigorating, even if a bit synthetic. Warmth is added to the middle notes with an inviting spicy / floral accord. So far, so good, except that the movement within the pyramid happens way too fast. It’s hard for me to pick up the base because it appears to be entirely too weak. The basenotes read ‘pine’ and ‘sandalwood’ and ‘patchouli’ and musk,’ but my nose has a difficult time catching them. On my skin, Culture is completely gone in forty-five minutes.

Culture by Tabac could have been an excellent fragrance if its base had some sort of substance and longevity. But its base is weak and short-lived, and that's too bad because this one could have been a contender.

17 September, 2006 (Last Edited: 10th March, 2008)

Erolfa by Creed

The brine in this one tries to hide from me—I catch it occasionally, but normally I get more green than marine out of Erolfa. It’s a healthy and lively green note sweetened by melon and sharpened by violet. I don’t get much citrus out of it either, but I do get a solid coniferous note. This is a beautifully blended and structured fragrance, which I find very similar to Millesime Imperial—the melon note makes them pretty much alike in my opinion. I like this scent very much but I probably will never buy it, because I have Millesime Imperial, and there’s no point in having two so similar fragrances. This is a excellent one, though, and it lasts fairly well on my skin.

Fendi Uomo by Fendi

This is one of those fragrances that smell better from the paper card than it does on my skin. Smelled close to my skin it is rather mediocre and nondemensional and, especially in the opening, there is a petroleum-like note that doesn’t improve the fragrance. But the SILLAGE produced might be considered quite pleasant: It opens with a lavender / herbal accord that manages to seem dry and near-fresh at the same time. The general notes tend to be spicy, leathery, dry, masculine, and reminiscent of the notes of the earlier 80’s. The scent is rather linear and produces a lighter sillage than many of its contemporaries IMO. Fendi Uomo is not a terrible scent, but all things considered, there’s not that much I like about it—and it’s been done much better.

Havana by Aramis

It DOES have everything but the kitchen sink. How could I not love this one, with all those great strong notes, it is exuberant and it’s hard not to admire. Of course tobacco is what hits me first—spicy tobacco—bay rum spicy tobacco lolling in a green / herbal accord with aldehydes, conifer, citrus, and wood to fill it out even though it doesn’t need to be filled out. This is a very abundant fragrance.

Abundance continues through the heart notes when a whole new lineup of spices and florals join the crowd: cumin, pimento, pepper, cinnamon, for spices; carnation, lily of the valley, hyacinth, and jasmine for florals. Of course, with all the spices, the florals could not be prominent, but they do serve to provide the heart of the fragrance with a very harmonious platform for the spices to perform on.

The base is my favorite part. It is superb: tobacco, of course, and amber, oak moss, patchouli, cedar wood, sandal wood, tonka, vanilla, myrrh, labdanum, and, my favorite, Oilbanum. Fourteen hours after applying I have a wonderful incense / wood accord still gently emanating from my skin.

I’ve mentioned abundance a couple of times, but that was only in the spirit of exaggeration. Havana is a very potent spicy-tobacco-woody-green chypre, but the strength can be controlled through application, and, besides, the ‘abundance’ lasts for only about a half hour. After all the spice and tobacco fireworks, Havana turns out to be a rich, lusty, but controllable fragrance that lasts and lasts. This is a superb fragrance. (Edit of 17 September 2006 review.)

17 September, 2006 (Last Edited: 27 July, 2009)

Ho Hang by Balenciaga

A warm woody Oriental, classic in construction. Ho Hang has that extra drama – that touch of surrealism – that is prominent in several of the Balenciaga fragrances I’ve experienced. I find the opening very aromatic, which, to me, emphasizes the otherwise understated citrus / herbal top. The aromatics are primarily accomplished through the lavender and basil – a particularly aromatic form of each of them. When I first experienced Ho Hang, I found the opening rather discreet, but the more I wear it, the more power the opening seems to have. The wood middle continues the Oriental nature of the fragrance especially with the help of the dramatic carnation, rosewood, and cedar, smoothed and evened by a mild patchouli. The base is Oriental – not as sweet as the list of notes would indicate – and probably the least dramatic of the levels. Ho Hang is a somewhat fresh, very woody, semi-sweet fragrance, rather old-fashioned, a touch dramatic in its quiet citrus way. It throws a moderate sillage and has very good longevity. Orientals are not my favorite category and I find a sort of built in contradiction about citrus Orientals: I guess I prefer my citruses light and airy… but even so, this is a well made, attractive fragrance.

17 September, 2006 (Last Edited: 23 May, 2008)

Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent

Jazz is an interesting fragrance. It is aromatic and floral and spicy and its construction is extremely well done. For me the opening has a little too much bergamot presence and not enough green and lavender, but otherwise is highly catchy with clean, energetic accords. The middle is a masculine spicy / floral with the florals taking precedence to my nose. And the base is primarily a light cedarwood and leather. I can’t stress enough how energetic and well put-together this scent is. It flows naturally and smoothly from one accord to another being neither too aggressive nor too light. If Jazz is similar to the old Tsar, then Van Cleef and Arpels did a disservice by changing the Tsar formula. Jazz has so much more going on than the new Tsar does.

L'Essence de Déclaration by Cartier

The opening of Essence is similar to the opening in Déclaration, but fresher, clearer, less smoky, more attainable. It is an elegant orange opening that doesn’t have the sharpness of many citrus accords: a bitter orange note that gets a special refinement from the cardamom and the woods and moss.
    The middle notes are basically a discreet wood / moss accord supported by cardamom and orange. And the base is a nice vetiver and rosewood and orange. The prominence of the bitter orange note throughout makes the scent somewhat linear, but there is real movement behind the orange note. I like solid base notes in my fragrances, and the base here, even though it has excellent accords, is a little too subtle—underplayed—for my tastes. There are not very many differences between Déclaration and Déclaration Essence, but those marginal differences make up a huge difference in my judgment—Déclaration is not very interesting except that is flirts a bit with repulsiveness, while Déclaration Essence is a winner. Very good longevity—wonderful, elegant fragrance.

Lagerfeld Classic by Lagerfeld

Well, right off the bat, this fragrance gets two thumbs up from me simply because it features a strong opoponax—my favorite note. What a superb classic fragrance: It starts off with the timeless citrus / basil accord, which I think is astoundingly excellent because I can already smell the opoponax rising up from the base. The opening notes are deep dark and brooding because of the combination.
    It gets darker and heavier with the short lived middle notes when the sandalwood, patchouli, clary sage, cedar, and (probably) rose arrive—the middle has also added powder to the progression, and the powder stays prominent while the fragrance lasts. For those who don’t care for powder this may not be a good fragrance; I do not mind powder when it is joined with strong masculine notes as it is in Lagerfeld Classic. The entire middle ensemble is completed by the base’s amber and opoponax . At this point I feel that I have arrived in paradise.
    Completion comes with base notes of amber, musk, moss, a touch of vanilla, and, of course, the opoponax which had been there since first sniff: a worthy ending to a more than worthy fragrance. I love this one.

Michael for Men by Michael Kors

Shades of Le Dandy in the opening of Michael—that sparkling liquor note, coupled with an array of spices and a solid tobacco note, makes for a great fragrance whether it’s the smooth but effervescent Le Dandy or the sharper, more forceful Michael. After the boozy opening, Michael’s middle notes are rich in tobacco and incense smoothed out by suede. I like the effects of these notes—they have substance and passion and other exuberances. Michael ends as spectacularly as it began: a lavish sandalwood accord deepened and supported by patchouli, incense, and dark-fruit notes—deep, deep, rich and non-aggressively sweet. The liquor / tobacco continues though the total progression of the fragrance, which remains quite strong and lasts extremely well on my skin.
    Michael stands out from the pack of current fragrances. It is bold, ‘spirited,’ lusty, and unique among modern designer scents—probably even over the top, but ‘over-the-top’ is so refreshing in this day of ‘safe’ lemming fragrances. I do prefer the more refined and discreet Le Dandy to Michael (I can’t believe I’m calling Le Dandy ‘discreet’—but it is, comparatively). But I admire Michael’s audacity and chemistry…and it is tamable and wearable.

Quasar by J del Pozo

It seems there’s a lot of creative effort put into the difficult task making fresh scents interesting. I think that, with Quasar, Jesus del Pozo manages to accomplish that objective. Quasar is an interesting fragrance with notes and accords that manage to make an intrinsically boring category more stimulating. It opens fresh and aquatic, adds clean, gentle, aromatic midnotes, and finishes with a mellow wood / moss drydown—all excellently structured and olfactorily rewarding. I think the most interesting parts are the banana peel and newsprint notes: As strange as they sound, they contribute very positively to the scent. Quasar is unique, light, refreshing, delightful, and very reasonably priced.

Roma Uomo by Laura Biagiotti

I simply don’t get much out of Roma Uomo other than it opens with a pleasant, surprisingly sweet grapefruit note (surprising because it is grapefruit, which I don’t consider sweet), and closes with an all-too-subtle wood dry down. Between the opening and the dry down, there’s a little oak moss thrown in. I have given it at least seven full day (‘full day’ in this case lasts forty-five minutes) tests, but I still haven’t grasped more than that—I can’t find anything but a nice fruity-sweet, somewhat aromatic, linear, WEAK Oriental. The wood dry down disappears much too quickly on me and there is nothing left of the scent after forty-five minutes. On paper I don’t get any difference from the testing on my skin. The first time I tested it, it opened quite sharply: In subsequent tests I didn’t even get that much character out of it. It is very bland to my nose. In defense of Roma Uomo, I will say that, as sweet as it is, it is not at all cloying.

Royal Copenhagen by Royal Copenhagen

Since I like many of the powdery scents, I was prepared to like this one—its powder is legendary. I was prepared for the powder but I wasn’t prepared for the disagreeably sharp, unpleasant off-note that was immediately apparent in the fragrance. It’s hard to pick out the offending culprit because there are so many notes listed in the accord, but I would guess it has something to do with the mixture of pineapple and anise and lavender. Once it settles down to the mid and base notes, the offending note disappears, but even without the offending note, the scent seems generic and linear. It certainly isn’t complex. No, if I want powder I’ll stick to Lagerfeld Classic or Helmut Lang. Royal Copenhagen is just too off-putting.

Safari for Men by Ralph Lauren

As far as I’m concerned, Safari is THE classic woody aromatic. It opens with excellent dry herbal accords that stay somewhat close to the skin; the lavender holds a strong position in the accord, but I wouldn’t necessarily say it dominates. Regardless, it is dryly beautiful and it’s one of my favorite openings in the fragrance world—I’m sure it contains aldehydes—I’m a sucker for aldehydes.
    There is a moment of discomfort at the end of the (somewhat lengthy) opening. At one point the entry of the spices from the heart notes pull the fragrance a little bit off, but that lasts for only a moment or two. The middle continues the aromatics of the top—basil, thyme, and cedar and adds some spices and florals. Although the pyramid here doesn’t show florals, the mid notes of the fragrance are so smooth and grounded that there must be some florals underlying the spice and herbal action—jasmine and rose, they say.
    Safari finishes with a pleasant woody / oakmoss base—not as excellent as the opening and the heart notes, but rich and mellow and more than adequate. Longevity is adequate but I would like it to be better.
    This is the fragrance I wear for casual occasions and sometimes for the office. This is one of my favorite laid-back, comfort fragrances, because, while it is rather full and rustic, it is not at all aggressive or pushy; it is mellow, relaxing, and let’s certainly not forget—masculine. Safari and I have a history and it’s a very good and comforting thing that I still admire it after a couple thousand wearings. So it is a bit dated—so what?—all old friends are, that’s their value. I only wish it had better longevity, but I’ve also said that about other old friends.

Smalto by Francesco Smalto

A rustic fragrance. The opening has a substantially dry edge to it dominated by clary sage and absinthe. Along with the dryness is an aromatic aspect with a lavender tinge… I like this opening; it is quietly bleak and masculine. The wood middle is somewhat reminiscent of Safari for Men because of the definite cedar / herbal accord in both fragrances, but, unlike Safari, the dryness gradually lessens with the shadowy addition of the honey / balsam notes: The sweetness never does grow very strong – my skin swallows it as so often happens with sweet notes in wood fragrances. The cedar heart of Smalto is quite soft and weak. There are supposedly floral elements in the mid accord, but I don’t really get any… I suppose the florals are also swallowed up by the black hole of my skin. The drydown moves toward another wood interpretation – this time with a moderately sweet, slightly mossy hay note – it’s quite nice in a rustic sort of way. The base retains the aromatic background that has been with Smalto from the start, but it tends to get rather loose and indistinct at its end.

Smalto is certainly not a strong scent, nor does it hold to a good longevity, but I think it is an interestingly unique scent that accomplishes its purpose . I enjoy Smalto’s dryness and its naturalness, but I would like it better if it had a little less lavender in it. My initial dislike of this fragrance has changed, and I often find myself choosing Smalto when I want a short-lived, arid, soft masculine fragrance. This is definitely a test-before-you-buy fragrance, but anyone who likes a stark, unsweet, masculine wear should give this a try. (Edit of 17 September 2006 review. Changed from a thumb’s down.)

17 September, 2006 (Last Edited: 24 July, 2009)

S.T. Dupont Homme by S.T. Dupont

S. T. Dupont has an opening quite similar to Cartier Déclaration—I think it’s more successful. I had difficulty in learning to enjoy the opening in Déclaration, but with S. T. Dupont, it wasn’t a problem. And this one doesn’t have that synthetic tinge that I find in Déclaration. In spite of the herbs and conifers in the top notes, this scent doesn’t have an aromatic feel to it—it delivers something similar to the Déclaration bitter orange note and delivers it cleanly and lastingly. The mid notes are understated with a subtle coniferous / floral accord still influenced by the long lasting citric top notes. The base, too, is subtle and I get a pleasant leather wrapped in an airy patchouli. S. T. Dupont seems to stay close to the skin, producing very little sillage. Because the opening citric note is so prominent all the way through, I would say the fragrance is linear. It’s a very good scent—I like it better than Déclaration and its price is quite reasonable considering its quality. But what an unfortunate set of initials this scent has.

Essence Pure pour Homme by S.T. Dupont

An aromatic / green fragrance that I would like to love, but I just can’t get excited about it. The citrus / ozonic opening seems more green than citrus to me—the bamboo notes are dominant—and I immediately pick up a strong cedar presence. It seems to be on the order of Hei by Sung, and although it has more presence than Hei, I’m not sure it is any more successful. As an aromatic green, it is an alternative to the endless lineups of citruses and aquatics, but I prefer something like Sander for Man with its ivy notes and light incense in the base. S.T. Dupont’s Essence Pure Pour Homme is a good fragrance but basically a not-too-exciting green aromatic.

Bigarade Concentrée by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

The bitter orange note is excellent. I think this is a much better—and certainly more subtle—presentation of the bitter orange concept that was done by Ellena in Cartier’s Déclaration. The synthetic aura of Déclaration’s bitter orange note IS GONE! It is now a thoroughly beautiful clear note. It is, indeed, an intriguing note, and it is phenomenally longer lasting than other citruses that I’ve encountered. This one is done right! The rose is used beautifully, too, and adds a necessary depth to the citrus accord. The dry down is a very pleasant and addictive ‘woody’ accord—not a heavy wood, it’s a light, rustic, natural hay / cedar combination that still retains echoes of the original bitter orange note. The woods in the dry down are the perfect foil for the orange note—the rustic ambiance is exceptionally appropriate as an ending to this fragrance. For the citrus lover, Bigarade Concentrée is an answer to a prayer—a genuine citrus—masculine, wonderfully alive, beautifully balanced, that lasts and lasts and LASTS.

Tumulte pour Homme by Christian Lacroix

Lots of cedar listed in the Tumulte pyramid, and on the paper card I find the cedar is prominent – it’s not the best cedar note I’ve encountered because it smells a little synthetic and it coats my mouth with that plastic cedar note. But on my skin, the cedar disappears almost immediately and the incense dominates – maybe “overwhelms” is a better word. Except for the first half minute, I can’t even pick out the bay leaf, which is usually quite easy for me to discover in an accord: As for discovering the laurel—forget about it. Tumulte comes off to my nose as a very linear incense fragrance. Because of the abundance of incense, it’s hard not compare Tumulte to the Comme des Garçons Incense series. I would say that I am much more impressed by all of the CdGs than I am by Tumulte. All of the CdGs have sparks of individuality and uniqueness—this one is simply a partially appealing linear scent—rather like experiencing a burning incense stick. Tumult is quite linear and its lack of movement is a negative. The bottle is beautiful and elegant and a necessity for a collector. I’m tempted to give a thumbs up just for the bottle, but the fragrance deserves a neutral.

17 September, 2006 (Last Edited: 14 March, 2008)

FragranceFan255's avatar
    FragranceFan255

Banana Republic Classic by Banana Republic

Francoise_Papiran sums Banana Republic Classic up quite well. A marvel of casual wear that is easy to love and surprisingly hard to put down. An accord like candied oranges drives the fragrance amongst the honeysuckles. This aspect is very similar to the heart of Happy by Clinique. The fragrance as a whole, however, is superior that latter creation. This is a deeper and more complex scent than that extremely linear citrus. All the best qualities and so much more. Marketed unisex and appropriately so. Easily worn by man or woman. Just don't touch my bottle. Sadly I am likely deprived of buying another and must nurse this overlooked gem until it is no more.

Margareta's avatar
    Margareta
    Sweden Sweden

V by Valentino

Yes, there is some similarity between V and Hugo Deep Red. It´s the drydown who has something alike. But V is more beautiful and clear. One can find the same note in the drydown in Infiniment Chopard, too, IMO. Infiniment is the most beautiful of these tree, but it´s also the most expensive. V is a reasonable prised beautiful every-day-fragans. I love it!

pandabear25's avatar
    pandabear25

Casmir by Chopard

I just recieved my sample of this from scentagious and I absolutely love it! It's a very warm, creamy and comforting smell that makes me want to wrap myself in a soft blanket and curl up with a book and some chai tea....yummy.

zztopp's avatar
    zztopp

Arcus by Amouage

Arcus is a recent release from the overpriced middle-eastern inspired Amouage line. The Arcus promotional write-up at the Amouage site says: "The dramatic leading edge of a severe thunderstorm, full of jet-black clouds, thunder and lightning, one of nature's most awe-inspiring phenomena, full of overwhelming power, speed and passion." So in a way, Arcus is not directly trying to recreate the sea-side or beach smell.

The fragrance starts off with bright citrus notes - the lemon zest stands out the most, slightly tempered by the sweet fig leaves. The middle notes introduce the star note of Arcus - the marine-like salty geranium. I dont detect any of the listed supporting notes likes basil or lavender. The arcus marine note smells sharp, fizzy and a bit sour - its quite different than the saltry-slightly brine like ozonic accord of Erolfy. But then unlike Erolfa, Arcus isnt trying to recreate the sea air, but that thunderstorm effect instead. I cant say how accurate this recreation is, but it does smell interesting.

Arcus has average sillage and longevity, which might be a problem since its one pricey fragrance. However, I find it to be more wearable and interesting than Bulgari Aqua (which annoys me with its soiled-diaper posidinia note). While I prefer Erolfa, Arcus is worth sampling for its interesting marine accord.