Fragrance Reviews from September 2006

Allure Homme by Chanel

Subtle, sensual, sweet and energising at the same time, no smoky or bitter notes used in a lot of oriental fragrances. It can be your company everywhere. Very long lasting and classy. An instant classic for men.

Blu pour Homme by Bulgari

Too strong, soapy and smells like linen spray.Definitely not a haute couture fragrance even though it is produced for Bulgari.

Cool Water by Davidoff

Classic, aquatic and it is original, even though a lot of fragrances copied and still copy this one. I find it unsuitable for teens or for men in their twenties.It is one of the fresh fragrances that almost require a suite(I believe).

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

In Romania this is very common, but it is still distinctive, fresh, sensual and mysterious. You cannot go wrong with this.It reveals all the contrasts of man kind.

L'Eau par Kenzo pour Homme by Kenzo

Pure sensuality and peace of mind.A light sweety scent with misterious yuzu lemon. It can be worn anywhere,everywhere as it has something subtle and elegant with it, compared to other citrus scents.Take it as an alternative to Acqua Di GIO.

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

Masculine,sensual and very suitable for a metrosexual.She will definitely want him.I like this fragrance, it lasts and lasts, but it is not as special as Very Irresistible de Givenchy or Xeryus Rouge.

Armani Mania by Giorgio Armani

Preety unoriginal, a less soapy CITY Glam though, but nothing impressing. If you wish to feel clean, wear it.But if you want to have a touch of class, please choose something else.

Nightflight by Joop!

Energising, sensual and an alternative to pure oriental fragrances suitable for romantic encounters or clubbin'.

Pi by Givenchy

Simple, inspiring vanilla fragrance with a masculine sensually fresh woody touch.You cannot go wrong with this one-like with any other Givenchy fragrance.You'll feel unique.I love it and consider buying it next to Very Irresistible:)

Xeryus Rouge by Givenchy

Sexy, upbeating but a little overpowering and bitter.Anyway it develops very sweety.Bursts your self confidence and makes you feel like a king.

Lacoste pour Homme by Lacoste

So natural, but I do not perceive any connection of it to the sports world. Very elegant and uplifting.And it just doesn't want to leave you:)))

Baldessarini by Baldessarini

Nothing special. Too expensive for nothing. And, by the way, I avoid smelling like a cigar. Tobacco notes are sensual in very slight quantities. Not like in this one. It could be written on it:"Tobacco kills":))

Higher Energy by Christian Dior

This is definitely a crap. Smells like old man fragrances: too much pine and bitter essences.Indeed, long lasting but not promising.

Individual Blue for Him by Avon

Long lasting but truly boring.It smells like ice and metal.Try another one.

Style In Play by Lacoste

Best fresh fragrance.Very innovative and unconventional. Sensual and totally fresh at the same time. A must for young men.Come on, give Acqua di Gio a break and try this one.My girlfriend loves it on me:)

Silver Shadow by Davidoff

Sweet and sensual. Not very innovative, but very classy. No man can go wrong with this one.Very long lasting too.

Surrender for Him by Avon

Extremely sensual and also light.Great for summer and autumn days.The ladies will surrender to you when they will feel this one.It is also very long lasting(not overpowering-but still an oriental).

Tomorrow for Him by Avon

Distinctive,sexy and romantic.Very long lasting and it can be considered a prestige fragrance(Avon presents it as so).I can feel the anise,cocoa beans and violet notes plus the patchouli.Be modern and also look into the near future..tomorrow...she'll be mine..or even today..:))))

h_len's avatar

Israel Israel

Boss Woman by Hugo Boss

one of rare sweets that are not smell boring to me. really unique: you won't find anything similar.

Fiorello's avatar

Oyédo by Diptyque

Oyédo is a unique citrus/aromatic fragrance for sure, it's definitely more feminine than masculine. It's interesting enough, that all lovers of this type should at least give it a try. It is definitely more suitable for casual pursuits. At the onset, yes, I can smell the connections others have made to Fruit Loops and gum drops but I feel it opens up more broadly than that. I instantly fell in love with the tangerine, (yuzu)? and lime accord which is pure, non-western sunshine in a bottle. The dryness of the lime and thyme combination keeps the lot from becoming too sweet for me--although there has to be a sweet floral note that's not listed in there. I found myself being reminded of L'Eau de L'Artisan sans its fanfare basil-mint accord and replaced with a more subdued, sweet(ish)-herb green and slight, (cedar)? drydown. This is one of those, "don't overdo it, although it's light" fragrances, although you may find yourself wanting to reapply it quite often. I would probably choose L'Eau de L'Artisan before Oyédo. I'm giving it a thumbs up though, because it is just so unique.

Lagerfeld Classic by Lagerfeld

Well, right off the bat, this fragrance gets two thumbs up from me simply because it features a strong opoponax—my favorite note. What a superb classic fragrance: It starts off with the timeless citrus / basil accord, which I think is astoundingly excellent because I can already smell the opoponax rising up from the base. The opening notes are deep dark and brooding because of the combination.
    It gets darker and heavier with the short lived middle notes when the sandalwood, patchouli, clary sage, cedar, and (probably) rose arrive—the middle has also added powder to the progression, and the powder stays prominent while the fragrance lasts. For those who don’t care for powder this may not be a good fragrance; I do not mind powder when it is joined with strong masculine notes as it is in Lagerfeld Classic. The entire middle ensemble is completed by the base’s amber and opoponax . At this point I feel that I have arrived in paradise.
    Completion comes with base notes of amber, musk, moss, a touch of vanilla, and, of course, the opoponax which had been there since first sniff: a worthy ending to a more than worthy fragrance. I love this one.

This review is for the original, pre-1995 Lagerfeld Classic. The current formulation is quite inferior to the original.

17th September, 2006 (Last Edited: 17th May, 2014)

Jaïpur Homme Fresh by Boucheron

This certainly is a fresher version of Jaïpur but it isn’t Jaïpur light: There is real presence in Jaïpur Fresh and it is fresh citrus with pine and light spices. Thinking ‘fresh,’ I wore it to the office one day and I was a bit uncomfortable with the strength of its output. So from now on I will be just as careful in its application as I am of Jaïpur.
    One can’t find much that is brighter and crisper than the orange in the opening accord. The orange note doesn’t last long and it is quickly replaced by the crisp pine and fresh coriander and white pepper. Along with a touch of cinnamon, the amber in the base warms the progression. This is a fresh scent that produces a captivatingly warm sillage, and I don’t really see it as a warm weather scent—this one would be most at home in the spring or fall. It has excellent longevity and I think it is more wearable than the other Boucheron fragrances. I’ll definitely purchase this one when my Boucheron Pour Homme runs out.

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

A delicate citrus opening with an element of, I think, cedar from the base. I catch a hint of the patchouli and that is indeed a sensitively subtle broadening of the background to the citrus. The opening is a charming accord in its balance and delicacy—and Jean Claude Ellena seems to have defeated the synthetic tinges of his citrus accords that have, IMO, occurred in several of his previous scents. As opposed to the synthetic aura of the citrus in Un Jardin en Méditerranée and the tacky synthetic ambiance of the opening accord of Un Jardin sur le Nil, this citrus opening of Terre d’Hermès is crystalline and pristine. When the citrus abates a little, the scent takes on a mineral earthiness—not a sensual earthiness, but a desert breeze earthiness—it’s clear, breezy, fresh…almost primordial. I enjoy the purity and naturalness of this fragrance, and this fragrance is a quality alternative to the generic, synthetic, ‘me-too’ juices that are so prevalent in the mass market now. Though not a great fragrance, Terre d’Hermès is a very worthy one, and certainly one of the best designer offerings in recent years.

JohnCase's avatar

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin by Lolita Lempicka

I bought this on a whim because A)It was on clearance B)I love the womens' scent on my girlfriend.

This is quite possibly my best purchase. I find it shares a lot of notes and spirit with Editions Malle L'eau D'hiver which is a very good thing. I also respect the fact that the men's and women's scents are quite similar. It's gourmand without being overtly gourmand, as to say, you know that you're wearing foody notes but it doesn't feel pretentious.

The fragrance is powerful but at the same time extremely delicate, its very full and almost narcotic, much like its sister "Hypnotic Poison" it goes on heavy and you just want to let it overwhelm you.

The first time I wore this to a club two girls I hadn't met previously invited me back to their apartments based on how I smelled. For 35 dollars canadian you really can't find a better deal....perhaps this is a signature scent?

Rashkae's avatar

Chypre Rouge by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Hmmm... This scent is a big disappointment to me. At first, it smells exactly like a tutti-fruity Kool-aid sdrink mix. Just open a canister of the juice powder and sniff. That's Chypre Rouge.

After a while, it settles a bit and the Patchouli and Vanilla come through juuuuuust a little. But it's still sickeningly sweet, like Diptyque's Eau D'Elide.

Melograno by Santa Maria Novella

Powdery and floral, and as Marlen points out, sort of aldehydic. To me this is an almost strictly feminine fragrance. I haven't spent enough time smelling pomegranates to say whether this hits the mark or not, but I can say that the fruit here is between say a mandarin and a plum in its smell. There's not much here to make it unisex or deepen it beyond the fruit and floral notes. Seems very one-dimensional to me.

Messe de Minuit by Etro

I'm with foetidus when it come to MdM. I don't get the dark, gothic, or really even the incense comments. MdM to me is all about old, aged books and papers. It's that acidic, sharp smell that old paper has. It's also that musty smell that collects in basements and cool, damp places. It reminds me very much of the smell of the basement of the library of my undergraduate college, which also happens to be a very old seminary and basilica. I guess there's something slightly "gothic" about that, in a cold, damp, stony sense. But dark it is not. The acidity is almost bright, sharp, pointy, and kind of thin. The mustiness is pungent but not dark or heavy. To add another perspective, my girlfriend says it smells like a grandmother's couch; I take that to mean it smells like something that's aged and musty, almost mildewy. For a gothic scent, see Montale's Black Aoud. And for church incense, see Passage d'Enfer, with its incense and lilies theme. All that said, MdM is odd but not that extreme or unpleasant. Just cold and for times spent in solitude.

Patchouli by Santa Maria Novella

Patchouli. Not much else. There's really nothing better than patchouli when it's well blended in a scent. It adds earthiness and force. In my opinion, there's also nothing that smells worse on its own. Here it's earthy, dry, pungent, and almost camphorous. Not as strong as Villoresi's, not as animalic as say Tonatto's Re. Pretty straightforward and one-dimensional...much like SMN's Vetiver, Vaniglia, and Melograno are. If you like patchouli, go for it. Everyone else, please stay away.

Vetiver by Santa Maria Novella

Well, continuing my tour of SMN fragrances, Vetiver is more in the dry, herbal, earthy vein of vetivers than it is in the citrus or fruity line of vetivers. That means to me it is more like L'Artisan's Vetiver or Villoresi's Vetiver than Guerlain's, CdG's, or even Malle's, which has some citrus. This is a slightly sweetened, and almost aldehydic, feminized version of L'Artisan's take on this grass. It's not unpleasant, but it's also too close to something you might smell in a head shop or a new age store or a Dave Matthews Band concert. Vetiver isn't my thing, and while this one is not awful, it doesn't do much for me either.

the_good_life's avatar

Germany Germany

Concentré D'Orange Verte by Hermès

Ladies and gentlemen, I humbly propose that too much of a fuss is made about the inestimable genius of Monsieur Jean-Claude Ellena, the supernose of Hermès and innumerable other fames, who has become a celebrity in his own right. My exhibit A is Concentrée d'Orange Verte, which - I will say it in harsher terms as some of the speakers before me - is a most maladroit debasement of the original.
    Yes Eau d'Orange Verte is fleeting, that is part of its frail beauty, it is, in the tradition of Eau de Colognes, a burst of invigorating freshness and of a green orange purity and naturalness that is unrivalled. Reapply, reapply, Ladies and Gentlemen, and don't think of your purse, for if you do, you should not have chosen Hermès in the first place. So, here we have a nonsweet orange zephyr as Turner could not paint it better - this should be to M. Ellena's liking, as so many of his watery creations are most fleeting, shall we mention the recent Hermessence series for q.e.d. And what does he do with the perfect model of citrus airiness, revealing its perfect nude beauty for the wink of an eye only? What does he do, one is almost tempted to think out of malicious envy over this sparkling masterpiece? He turns it into a spinster of a musty orange dressed up in old lace, into the drying wrinkled oranges on a forgotten dust-laced fruit platter in that spinster's dark and aged-smelling chambers. More length, perhaps, but of something only for everyone's cranky stepmother to wear.
    There are other misdeeds and affairs of little merit one can accuse M. Ellena of, but for today I rest my case and advise you to do as I do, and employ your bottle of Concentrée as a luxurious shoespray for frequently worn favorites. Here alone it can serve as an atmospheric improvement.