Fragrance Reviews from September 2006

LiveJazz's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

I received a sample of it very shortly after its release and thought it was a bit heavy and generally unimpressive. I still think the sillage and longevity are almost out of control, probably thanks the oft-discussed chemical additive ISO E Super.

The opening simply sparkles and fizzes. I think of a freshly squeezed, icy cold glass of limeade. Soon after, subtle (pink?) pepper notes unfold and balance out what the blast of citrus. For me, the scent retains this general smell of freshing lime and pepper while getting woodier, dryer, and smoother. Not sweeter: I hardly smell benzoin here, unless the all of the benzoin's typical sweetness was removed and whatever mineralic notes that remain were used. Whatever the case, this scent has a distinctly natural, windswept aura about it. I do tend to go back and forth on it, but overall I respect it and like it.

18 September, 2006 (Last Edited: 12 November, 2009)

weymouthuk's avatar

Santos Concentrée by Cartier

Yes this fragrance does mean business. I forgotten how good this was till I pulled it out earlier and tried it again. I've missed it. Its up their with the likes of Boucheron Pour Homme in its thick, wafting character. This is not a 'second skin' type of fragrance, its an announcement to all you encounter, a statement if you will. If Dracula were around, he'd probably have this on his dresser somewhere. It is warm, heavy, reassuring and inviting, everything a good fragrance should be. It is not light, summery and playful. Wear this with a tux but not too a job interview.

weymouthuk's avatar

Unforgivable by Sean John

It would seem most reviews so far are pretty accurate. Created by the man with more names than the artist formerly known as Prince, it comes as no surprise that this fragrance is a copy of Millisime Imperial by Creed as he is known to enjoy wearing that very fragrance. He clearly felt it was time to share the experience with everyone. One of my biggest gripes with M.I was that it had no staying power on my skin. I have to say this version of the classic suffers no such problems. OK, its not spot on but its as good as and I have to say, I like it! The packaging is over indulgent and ostentacious (not unlike my choice of words). Where Davidoffs Cool Water is the poorer brother of Creeds Green Irish Tweed, Unforgivable by Sean John is the non-identical twin to Creed Millisime Imperial.

zenpiper's avatar

Lucky You for Men by Lucky Brand

Not my favorite. A bit too sharp. I had hoped, as I wore it, it would settle down into something better, but so far - 2 hours later - it's still annoying. Seems to me it could use a citrus note, or more musk--or something--to lift it out of the ordinary.

acrylic-hunter's avatar

Pakistan Pakistan

Insensé Ultramarine by Givenchy

I hate all marine, aqua, watery, oceany perfumes. One, perhaps because in my teenage I was once persuaded into buying such a thing at a counter and secondly they are extremely common and indistinctive. Since then I refuse to even try anything sounding cool, marine, aqua etc.
    This I received as a present and surprised me, probably because I didn't smell what I expected. I like the floral mix which actually made it smell fresh. I can understand that so many people gave it a thumbs down...and I beleive its down to the same fact, that they didn't get what they expected.
    If you don't like the typical marines..give a try.

rvbert0's avatar

Starwalker by Montblanc

I picked up this scent really cheap at TJ Maxx, and I've really enjoyed it so far.

It smells very fresh to me, and while I haven't worn it out in public yet, it seems like it'd be a good scent to use after you've taken a shower from a hard workout, something that is refreshing, something fresh. . .

If you can pick it up cheap as I did, I'd recommend giving it a try.

ToadKings's avatar

Obsession Night for Men by Calvin Klein

To me this is a lighter and sweeter Azzaro's Visit. I don’t even consider a counter-part of the original Obsession. While Night and Visit, bear some common bond, Obsession Night has the smell of rich fruit but can hold it’s own on smelling dark and woody, like Azzaro's Visit. The fruit top note of pear and the spicy note cardamom give off the impression of the mysterious yet approachable and curious smell. To me, the scent is pretty much the same throughout its journey, but that is not a bad thing. I just sprayed it on and 15 minutes into it I think I get a faint smell of back suede. It last a good 4-6 hours on my skin. On the dry down it becomes seems to drop the fruits and become woodier. Overall, I think it is a dark yet soothing scent and works great in the winters but can work in the summer weather. If you like woody scents but are looking for some sweetness too, Obsession night does the tick.

Miracle Homme by Lancôme

Nothing special! This scene seems too light on me. Find no interested in anything from Lancome.

Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

:( Nothing but the cool bottle. Nothing but like millions familiar scenes out the. Nothing but poor longervity.

Joop! Jump by Joop!

Really like this one! And, it really work last on me. I find it and Allure have something common :P

No. 19 by Chanel

First fragrance I bought my then gf in the late 80s because I liked it. Beautifully spicy yet fresh and a marvellous drydown. Kinda the perfect partner for Pour Monsieur, no?

Allure Homme by Chanel

This a good fragrance, however, verges on being too sweet and sickly, for sure in the summer but less so in the winter. Of course, its super smooth and a top notch concoction as Chanel know how, but I want to see it on sale Chanel! You are no longer super exclusive...!

Antaeus by Chanel

The opening does a Jilly Goolden and 'whooshes' up your nose, so potent this brew is. The mid notes hardly last but the fantastic drydown is as fruity and juicy
    as any wine reviewed by our Jilly. I know this is a classic and I like it, but just don't reach for it everyday. Still, can't knock a vintage.

Chanel Pour Monsieur by Chanel

Top note is one of the best ever. Then poof, it's gone and the drydown follows suit. Haven't tried the Concentree, but this edt is too weak and what a shame as its one of the best mens frags. I hate the powdery element though, which is why I gave my bottle away.

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

I smell a strong rose in the top note but Egoiste's real plus is in the lasting sandalwood and vanilla drydown that you forgot about the day before but catch a whiff of in the morning. It's hard to wear everyday and too strong and unique for the office. Guess it's for the odd evening in or out then. Why do Chanel never put their stuff on sale? They're not that exclusive.

Elements by Hugo Boss

I love the opening notes, spicy, fresh and slightly bitter, but not as horribly bitter as the drydown over the top woods and oakmoss. Shame, would've been one of HB's best.

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

Basically not even a poor relation to Egoiste. More like a flash nouveau riche cousin with garish tastes. Should be called 'Eau de Nightclub' as many are like it. Can't give it a thumbs down as its a Chanel thus high quality and I do like it even though I'll smell like every Juan, Dick and Ali. Can never get a bargain bottle on THAT online auction house as people fight tooth and nail for it.

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

Love the top note and the olive flower but have a beef with a slightly synthetic note in the drydown. Someone has said James Bond would wear this. Codswallop, Moneypenny would say he's lost his style and buy him some Eucris or Dunhill Edition. This is for under 25s who want to impress their gf of this week. Another weak and short lasting offering by Armani.

Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

Not as 'fresh' as others suggest; more sweet but very smooth as only the old French houses know how. Still, I wear it during the day but sometimes wish for something that is fresher, eg Armani Eau Pour Homme. Great sillage and lasting power but don't overdo as its fairly potent.

Comme des Garçons 2 Man by Comme des Garçons

Did someone bottle toe jam and call it this?

Bespoke by Hackett

An unusual amalgam of top notes nicely fused together to create a so so fragrance. Not bad but certainly wouldn't wear this and a bespoke suit together. Doesn't last long, maybe 1-2 hours and too undistinguished to stand out.

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

To me the iris is faint compared with the cocoa and lavender. On a bloke on the bus I smelt orange / bergamot? I love this frag but find it short lived and close to the skin. So its perfect for a night in with the lady in your life then. Maybe curled up next to a log fire...with a cup of cocoa to share between you.

Safari by Ralph Lauren

Unmistakable (in my opinion), has all the marks of a good fragrance. I associate it with money as over here in the antipods it is a bit of a 'power-frag'.

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

This one does not evolve and it certainly can smell rather odd when on certain types of skin but on the RIGHT skin it is great. Longetivity is it's major problem, that and the fact that it has been deleted in Australia (according to the stores I have visited)

Casual Friday by Escada

Incredible edible.
    Just got hold of some of this and it is wonderful. There is some A-men in there but it comes across a bit spicier on my skin. Still alive and well in online auctions!

Tommy by Tommy Hilfiger

What's not to like.
    It's fresh and distinctive. Only the fragrance snobs who will miss out on this one, the rest of us who can look past the American cleaness of it can have some fun.....

DKNY Be Delicious Men by Donna Karan

Maybe I'm too easily pleased but I really like this one! It's a toffee / coffee apple blend which is at once fresh and deep. This may well be a very skin-dependent frag' though judging by the polarisation of opinions that it has garnered!

Polo Black by Ralph Lauren

This one is a beauty. A rich complex of smells here and I don't get any of the powderiness others are reporting. Certainly not black, more a really dark green (which in the right light looks black!)

Joe_Frances's avatar

Acqua di Parma Colonia by Acqua di Parma

An excellent bright, classy, and classic summer citrus fragrance that just makes one feel great. It has that "unique" quality of communicating that it is exclusive and expensive without being overbearing or particularly "showy" in any way. Until I found Lorenzo Villoresi Uomo this was my favorite Italian fragrance. Still wear it, particularly when I travel since it comes in a beautiful small travel falcon. Even the glassware and stoppers/caps are beautifully made. Something evey man who is interested in fragrances should try and probably own, at least once. I could see how this could be a guy's signature fragrance. Absolutely.

Joe_Frances's avatar

Old Spice by Procter & Gamble

Yes, it's nice. It's all right. Masculine and unobjectionable. Just can't buy my fragrance at the CVS. I realize I am a snob now. What can I do? Maybe I'll go back to it when I am retired and I need to economize a bit more.

Joe