Fragrance Reviews from September 2006

Knize Ten by Knize

Knize Ten starts off with a strong mix of herbs, leather, and an overall greenness. I’ve never understood why so many find this opening to be offensive. It is anything but. Very quickly Knize Ten transforms into a smooth, slightly sweet, gentlemanly leather. Heat brings out the herbal/vegetal qualities. As it dries down, the amber becomes more apparent and the scent further sweetens, but never approaches “sweet” by modern standards. I get a good 8+ hours out of it and the sillage is just right. I don’t think of Knize Ten as formal or casual - it can be either or both. It’s not very complex but sometimes that’s what you’re looking for. The leather here is the opposite of the leather in Cuiron or Cuir Mauresque. This is not a sharp, pungent leather, and there is no fruit to be found. Instead it is the smooth, polished leather of saddles, old-style suitcases, or well-worn boots. When I think of classic scents that still hold their own, Knize Ten is top-of-mind.

zenpiper's avatar

Aqua Velva Frost Lime by Williams

Found this while trying to locate Aqua Lime Florestan, and was a little surprised to see it. Frost Lime is one I wore in high school, college and while working at the garden store. It's very pleasant, lasts fairly well, and has some kind of slightly muddy quality in the lime. That is, the lime is not distinct, the way it is in Royall Lyme or even in Caswell-Massey's Lemony Lime. This is a softer, muted variation, maybe because it has been mixed with Aqua Velva? Anyhow it's a fine casual scent for wearing at bowling alleys, gas stations, NASCAR functions and if you happen to work in a garden store.

zztopp's avatar

Fantasia de Fleurs by Creed

One of Creeds' oldest florals, Fantasia De Fleurs still smells very contemporary. Seeing that it was commissioned in 1862 for Empress Elizabeth of Austria, one could be forgiven to assume that to be a rich, heady floral fragrance apt for those times. Instead, its a pleasant surprise to find this to be a fresh rose scent.

Fantasia De Fleurs opens with notes of well mixed rose and perhaps osmanthus - while the rose is clearly noticeable, it is never heady or cloying. Infact, the top notes are quite fresh and uplifting...it must be the osmanthus. After 15 minutes, the iris note enters the fray, and the end result is an extremely well blended lush, dewy and zesty floral concoction. It is constructed in a similar style to Tuberose Indiana in that both are "uplifting and fresh" florals. The base is a pleasant musky ambergris composition.

Fantasia De Fleurs is a great ebullient floral fragrance with excellent longevity and sillage. Its suitable for women of all ages, and is atleast worth a decant!

acrylic-hunter's avatar

Pakistan Pakistan

Givenchy Gentleman by Givenchy

An accidental find...after spending an hour at the counter and not being able to find anything decent, the bored sales man brought this out and it stood out and above the croud...wow! Now thats something different and interesting, I thought.
    Unfortunately my wife and none of the people around me like it at all. And after a while, for some reason it has started giving me a headache, although I still like it and don't mind annoying the crowd around me.

1280adam's avatar

Jake by Hollister

Hollister 'Drift' and Hollister's Unisex fragrance (I'm not sure if it's still out in the stores) are both better than this cologne...but that still isn't saying very much. This is a safe 'teenagers' fragrance. Not bad smelling I guess but also nothing special.

madridbatabidd's avatar

Spain Spain

Aqua Motu / Motu by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

Well I have to say that the base notes are not very correct:
    agreeing with pluran to me when I smell it you can pick up the grass dry feel of the helycrisum, a marine plant, with silver leafs and yellow flowers with acrid smell, kind of organic rubber scent, then it mix with the warm sand and for sure Iodine or fucus that gives more appealing of the rubbery scent, and gives you the vibe of walk along the beach.
    My colleague from work says that this perfume reminds her when she just has been diving on the ocean and she´s taking off the Scuba diver's suit :)

Rouge Hermès by Hermès

First of all. I must say I've tried four different Hermès scents and I am most struck by the high level of quality from all of them, this in the edt versions. I cannot say the same from most names of the same stature (sad, but true).

This is almost exactely what I want, except I'm a bit sensitive to a rose element, which lingers here. It reminds me of Nahema-which I also love, it's just,but for the roses, again.

Still, highly recommended. Rouge is a bit heavy, but of real class and quality. Super.

Amazone (original) by Hermès

A really great outdoor or run about town scent. Casual, but not too citrusy, still feminine. Thats the thing with the Hermès scents. Always feminine, but not like a "poule" or blowsy.

Calèche Eau Délicate by Hermès

The "weakest" of the four scents I'e tried. Still better than many others out there. A soft, fruity top dries down quickly, it doersn't last long, but if you have experienced New York on a typical summer's day- that's about all you can take. Feminine, sweet, light.

Durendal's avatar

Samouraï 47 by Alain Delon

Right out of the bottle this will remind you of just about all of the other overpowering sweet scents you've sampled and lumped together. However as that fades this fragrance will take you by surprise with its elegance and a plain but very nice vanillic note that runs all the way down to its base. This is an obscure find that will definately not fail to impress.

151967's avatar

Black Cashmere by Donna Karan

I love to wear this fragrance when I want to feel a little exotic. I love the way it smells when it first goes on but after a couple of hours it starts to smell a little waxy. So, it does need reapplication through an entire day into evening. "Robyogi" is correct about gender marketing being a crock. I love wearing certain mens cologne that I definalty think should be unisex. I have never been told that I smell masculine or am I wearing my husband's cologne, just compliments. Everyone should always experiment regardless of what the marketers have on the package.

Solstice's avatar

Geir by Geir Ness

Tried this at Nordstrom's today and found it to be bland, boring and uninspired. Good for those who need to update their Old Spice but generic in every sense of the word. Smells a lot like a BOUNCE dryer sheet except not as sweet. There are DEFINITELY better fragrances out there.

's avatar

Carolina Herrera by Carolina Herrera

To me, this is a nearly anonymous scent – every time I've been wearing it, it has just disappeared almost completely after less than half an hour, the only trace remaining is a very sweet and uninteresting jasmine. It is certainly not offensive or foul-smelling, just plain boring.

benb's avatar

G2 by Gant USA

Have to disagree with Monkey Man Matt this time. Personally I think this is the only one of the Gant scents that I liked. There is definitely something in it that appeals to me. Dont know why I didnt by it in the first place. Thumbs up from me.
    benb

Elf's avatar

10 Corso Como by 10 Corso Como

This is definitely a scent that depends on chemistry. On me it is resinous, sharp, even harsh. Not that that is always a bad thing, but there is no softness in it for me. Very hard scent. Nothing like Avignon at all on me. I get no floral from it whatsoever, only resin.

eric's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada

Another scent , that got really bad reviews here , before it was even launched. Must be something wrong with me, cause man, I like it. I love the shaving cream smell in this one.
    What's with all this semi intelectual talk about this "not being balanced" and all.
    I agree, it's not "inventive" like "l'eau de animalfur" with popcorn , nor does it smell like chocolate, vanilla icecream,with whalevomit, but who cares.
    It's a very minimalistic, fougere type fragrance.
    I really gonna get me a bottle of this for sure.

Hugo Deep Red by Hugo Boss

I have a samlpe vial of this and I like it ok, but it's nothing I'd go crazy over. It's a very pleasant vanilla, a little spicy, which I like, but I have many other perfumes that I can't live without.

Angel Garden Of Stars - Violet Angel by Thierry Mugler

I absolutely loved the smell of this and eagerly sprayed my wrist, but it went terribly sour on me. I was really dissapointed because it's a very lovely mix. Lily angel is beautiful as well and doesn't smell horrible with my skin chemistry.

My Queen by Alexander McQueen

I own a decant of this and I love it! It's very sweet, but there's also something sharp about it. It's a violet perfume that I can wear! I can't wear Angel Violet for some reason it goes sour on me, but this is very nice!

Délices de Cartier by Cartier

I own a decant of this and I have to say that it's just not for me. I thought I would love it because the notes looked interesting, but it just ended up smelling like cherry lozenges to me. I'm hoping that it's just my skin chemisty. I'll probably give the decant to a friend.

Hypnôse by Lancôme

I wore this over the weekend and I really like it! It was warm and sweet, slightly mysterious and definitely inoffensive. I can see wearing this day or night and all year!

Eau de Gloire by Parfum d'Empire

This is one of the more unique scents I have tried. I consider it to be a scent of contrasts. At the base are leather, incense, and tobacco. The rest of the fragrance is brighter and sharper, very traditional in many ways – lavender, neroli, bergamot. There is also something that adds a plant funk to the scent throughout much of its duration…geranium maybe? The result of all of this is a scent I would describe as cold, aloof, and cerebral. It’s fitting that this scent was designed based on Napoleon’s tastes because I can imagine a would-be emperor plotting and scheming while wearing this scent. This aloof yet cerebral quality reminds me of Czech & Speake’s no.88. The contrast of heavier basenotes with brighter top-and-heart notes reminds me of Centaure. Contrary to its listing here, this scent is intended for men, not women, and is masculine in character. I can’t imagine a woman wearing this. Longevity is good and sillage is adequate. This would be good for anyone wanting something unusual yet traditionally masculine and still wearable.

Ambre Russe by Parfum d'Empire

Ambre Russe is a bold, boozy, amber and leather scent. As Gerald points out in his spot-on review, it has qualities in common with Le Dandy, especially the boozy sweetness. It also reminds me of Frank no.2, probably more so than Le Dandy. The amber here is not as rich, deep, and round as MPG’s Ambre Precieux, but that’s okay, because if it were, with all the others things that are going on here, the scent would likely be too much of a good thing. I’d say it’s similar to L’Artisan’s Ambre Extreme, except that Ambre Russe is more complex, and therefore in my opinion more interesting. Imagine Ambre Extreme with a boozy quality and subtle leather notes, and you’ll have the basic idea. This is unisex, not feminine.

sherrie11's avatar

Mitsouko by Guerlain

The first time I wore Mitsouko all these 19th century Romantic (with a capital "R") images took over my mind. It was truly like a haunting. Strange, potent effect it had on me. I have a bottle of the edt. I rarely wear it, however - it's just not what I reach for on as all-round everyday fragrance, and everyday casual is pretty much what my life is all about. But I am in love with the old world quality of Mitsouko. It's makes me feel nostalgic, but for some other incarnation I think. It's spicy and peachy on me - it's a tough old leathery dried peach that still has in the center the slightest lingering odor of a summer long past, and the mustiness of old books and abandonment, and there's vanilla in there, too, which gives it a bit of lushness to balance the dryness and bring you back. It's just one of the most extraordinary fragrances.

Centaure by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

neigh whinney snort

mmmm such an anemic centaur, to me it's as though this fragrance lacks a basenote or something it's all ethereal essences without any meat.

I will maybe try it again sometime but . . . later. . .

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

I had a friend who smelled like this. He must have been wearing egoiste platinum! I thought he just had bad body odor. Seriously. I'm glad for him this isn't a permanent condition.

Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier

this is like a vanilla version of Angel

pas pour moi (translation: yuck)

the_good_life's avatar

Germany Germany

Sandringham by Crown Perfumery

As English as a perfectly tended Wimbledon lawn, scones with homemade strawberry jam and Devonshire clotted cream, or Prince Charles complaining about contemporary architecture (he's right, too). Classic, but indeed Edwardian rather than Victorian, i.e. no priggish fusty-mustiness here, but aristocratic joi de vivre in perfection. Fresh citrus opening, settling into a very refined blend of lavender and woods, with a continuous subtle floral note (and the neroli) keeping it sexy. Citrus plus wood does not get more sophisticated or well constructed than this. No matter what his other achievements, Clive Christian's head should grace Tower Bridge for discontinuing such a national treasure.

ubuandibeme's avatar

Obsession Night by Calvin Klein

Vanilla, tonka bean and amber anchor the base of this rich fragrance. For some reason it smells a little like pipe tobacco...I might enjoy this blend more on my husband! Very good compilation.

ubuandibeme's avatar

Princess by Vera Wang

The many exotic notes in this royal potion are extremely well chosen and blended! I am a gourmand lover...and this one is perfect for anyone wanting to venture into gourmand territory for the first time! It wears close and sheer. Not cloying at all. A thousand times better quality than VW's original fragrance. I snagged a sample for my daughter ~ I'm quite certain she will love it!