Fragrance Reviews from September 2006

the_good_life's avatar

Germany Germany

Aspen Discovery by Coty

(a W.C. Fields type trying to attract customers to the ramshackle fairground attraction he is standing in front of)
    Yessir, Ladies and Gentlemen, don't miss out on P.T. Coty's sensational Rocky Mountain mechanical diorama. Not like anything you ever want to see, um have ever seen, yeeeees, I can hardly believe it myself and I have to watch it every day. See the great bald eagle spread its wings over presently unsoiled canyons, life size and wing flapping, smell the invigorating Aspen pines, so real you won't believe it, I sincerely promise you won't, and all of this authenticacious near natural Western mountain glory is yours for only 25 cents a sniff here. That won't buy you a ticket to Hoboken, Ladies and Gentlemen. (to himself): Hm, come to think of it, maybe a Hoboken diorama would work better.

Soul by Curve for Women by Liz Claiborne

This mix of notes really doesn't work well for me. The waterflowers, white flowers and incensy musk are not a pleasant combo. At the end of the drydown smells cloying and old lady-ish.

M'Oma by Laura Tonatto

Pear dominates this juice...ripe and sugary. If you are into sweet fruity scents, this one is classy! For my taste it comes off more like a candle fragrance.

Donna Karan Essence: Wenge by Donna Karan

This scent totally reminds me of Coty's Tigress!!! Spicy. Hot. Seductive too. Great product to layer.

Curve Chill for Women by Liz Claiborne

Notes of sparkling green tea, peony with a woodsy base...comes off powdery. Nobody does tea notes like Bulgari ~ but for the price this one's O.K. I can't say that I care for this blend. My senses much prefer Curve Crush.

zztopp's avatar

Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Notes: honey, musk, leather, incense, tobacco leaf, hay sugar, amber, iris, rose, sandalwood.

Chergui is a fantastic and unusual oriental, and in my opinion, one of the best fragrances from the house of Serge Lutens.

As can be seen from the note listing above, Chergui contains a wide range of interesting and sometimes contrasting notes. However, everything is so well blended, that the prominent impression is of a sweet, slightly smoky and herbal concoction. And thats what it smells like too. The hay note is prominent, and along with the tobacco, brings about that smoky herbal smell, which is very well balanced by the honey, amber and musk notes. If used in slightly more than moderate amounts, I have observed a slight bug-spray or petrol note effect to it, but thats just a small knock against this excellent creation. Longevity is great too.

Fans of Dzing! and Bulgari Black will love this - I understand that theres a segment of fragrance fans who dont care for this particular type of fragrance, but it still warrants a sample at the very least. Great stuff !

zztopp's avatar

Aoud Lime by Montale

The notes are: Patchouli leaves, Aoud, Sandalwood, Ambre, Iris, Saffron

The Aoud (agarwood) series of Montale fragrances are created around the agarwood note. My first encounter with agarwood was M7 - a finely crafted YSL fragrance. Motales Aoud line intrigued me - I was curious to see how diverse could Montale make its various aoud offerings. And Aoud Lime was my first target.

Aoud Lime, as the name suggests (and the notes dont) does start off with a sharp lime and agarwood notes. The lime is a bit sharp, and in my opinion, sharps contrastly with the smooth agarwood (which, with time, grows stronger and more prominent). For some reason, the way Montale has conjured this, these two dominant notes never flow along smoothly. After 1-2 hours, the lime note has nearly all but disappeared, and what you are left with is an excellent but boring base of aoud and sandalwood.

The longevity is excellent, but Aoud Lime doesnt do much except for provide a slight variation on the agarwood note. If you are a big agarwood note fan, you will ike this. I will pass.

Bad_Dawg's avatar

L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer

Sample of L'Air de Desert Marocain arrived in the mail today. Very nice, longevity and sillage are impressive. Similar to #2 Spiritus/Land by Miller et Bertaux, some might even say near identical. Hints of frankincense, ginger, incense and rose. St Charles Shave also makes a handmade cologne called 'New Spice' thats very close to this.

genvy5's avatar

Vintage by John Varvatos

This is the only cologne I have ever got a headache from. All I did was put some on my wrist, sniff once, and then POW. Man oh man. It doesn't smell good, either. Not at all.

gupts's avatar

India India

Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent

I wonder what kind of a nose would take an aversion to the way Jazz smells. I think it smells wonderful, has gr8 longevity & gives out gr8 sillage as well. A must buy for everyone.

areko79's avatar

Iran Iran

Cerruti Image by Cerruti

Disappointing - Vapidest version of
    ST Dupont's Signature, I hate both.
    unfortunately its long lasting on my
    skin - spray it makes me delirium.
    don't test it.

areko79's avatar

Iran Iran

Kenzoair by Kenzo

If you spray 200 ml of this bottle, maybe you can felt it. i never felt
    this smell.
    similar to pool water - of course pool
    water is more smelly.
    Post-Modern fragrance which is created
    up to now.

sabregoddess's avatar

Pink Sugar by Aquolina

I am the queen of amber/sandalwood/vanilla fragrances and lately I have shocked my friends with my newly acquired taste for gourmands. This was an impulse buy off the internet (having never actually smelled it before. It arrived in the mail and I actually liked it! It is very powdery on my skin (almost a floriental!) with only about 10 minutes of hardcore cotton candy which changes into a flowery-marshamllow which comes to a smooth powdery finish. VERY interesting fragrance and I know I should know better with my fondness for spice but this is a fun daytime scent- very whimsical and almost immature but brightens any day- especially long days spent indoors. It helps me feel less serious during my busy schedule, almost an olfactory rebellion! Praise the Lord for the musk and wood drydown though, otherwise all I can think of is high schooler in a miniskirt wearing Rainbow-brand flip-flops debating whether Laguna Beach is real or not. I'd say try it before you buy it; I was lucky with the musk being very comimentary skin but you may end up smelling like Barbie. I enjoy it from time to time but it is certainly not a fragrance I could ever call my "signature scent."

Odeur 53 by Comme des Garçons

I didn´t find it pleasant on me.
    At start smell cleanly nice quite like fresh air but wetty, then turn on something pvc-like, not in the way of the fab Soda or Skai, its more like horrid smell of burn rubber plus a smell of polution and dusty dirty stones whased out with bleach or something.
    but for my surprise, I find it light transparent and highly clean like pure virgin water, in women skins and non olive skins. CDG antiperfumes in general react quite strongly in dark skins.
    I give a thumb up for the idea of the genuine concept and the great smell that capture other´s flesh.

parfums*PARFUMS Series 1 Leaves: Shiso by Comme des Garçons

Sweet but really fresh. Love it but dissapear in seconds!:):)

parfums*PARFUMS Series 1 Leaves: Tea by Comme des Garçons

Sorry, I love CDG but this one is as nasty as A*men to me,very deep, dry, very sticky, it literally sticks on your skin, and whatever yo do, wash the zone you apllied, showered yourself... It won´t go.
    And the tar fact is quite too much, and bordering the sickness, nothing to do with the syntethic series 6 Tar, that I found cool.
    Sorry! Thumbs down!

parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Kyoto by Comme des Garçons

How to describe it with the right words?
    Its intense but light, mysterious but remind something familiar.
    Incense and fresh pine resines. It´s obvious but elegant :)

parfums*PARFUMS Series 5 Sherbet: Peppermint by Comme des Garçons

abslolytely divine, its cold and green fresh; wild mint mm and very subtle rose.
    Pity itd doesn´t last long enough :(

parfums*PARFUMS Series 6 Synthetic: Garage by Comme des Garçons

Agreeing with tigruska a mechanic man would like it. It´s dark and doesn´t appeal to me. The fact to create a fragance that smell oils an trucks sounds cool, but the final product really won´t suit anyone:
    Smell like oliy motors, grasy tools very concrented in a note of pure dirty oil machine. I wish the gasoline note was more evident like in CDG#3, cause i simply love it. The result, me shauting:
    argh! :(

parfums*PARFUMS Series 6 Synthetic: Skai by Comme des Garçons

it´s an odd smell, like really metallic citric with a brise of dusty town atmosphere and a base of burt paper. The citric note can be sometimes little too sharp when mixed the tar...
    Curious, It smell really nice on women skins.

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin Fraicheur by Lolita Lempicka

I don´t really like sweet aromas but this one has something is kind of sweet but subtle and very airy, i don´t know how to explain, it´s just superb. The anised water is very very light and is mixed with green light herbal notes and citrics,and last long forever and it has incredible reactions of the people surruound you, give yourself a favour and try it! :)

Euphoria Men by Calvin Klein

I like the idea of synthetic, there´s interesting examples like CDG but this one, nop.
    The openig is great,really great: green fresh and sharp, but then dry down in a nasty fake kind of citric note that ain´t.
    Remind me like cheap 80´s fragance and like Hugo Boss men fragances, sorry for HB fans!. Revolting.

parfums*PARFUMS Guerrilla 1 by Comme des Garçons

it´s dark. it´s kinky and you´ll love it!, i find it little more masculine than unisex, but who cares!. it´s more for night time.
    A lovely mix of the peach fruity note plus,with sweet dark floral note thta i cannot recognize nad then a base of soft spicy notes. The pear note comes along all the time.
    It´s delicious and vivid, not synthetic as other CDS aromas
    lovely!!!

parfums*PARFUMS Guerrilla 2 by Comme des Garçons

i find it quite feminine than unisex, smell strawery in asour way, citrics (vetyver?)and tuberouse.
    it´s ok, but for a girl

tvlampboy's avatar

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

A great fragrance for the price. Let others call it dated -- I call it a classic. It's DEFINITELY a winter fragrance for me, though, and NOT one to be worn heavily. (Apply this one with ease.)

Sweater weather. Falling leaves. Hallowe'en and Thanksgiving. VERY autumnal scent.

tvlampboy's avatar

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

I love the mint opening and the cool bottle, but (as with the evil, must-be-destroyed demon juice known as A*men by Thierry Mugler) the tonka overpowers me to the point of a dreadful headache. UNLIKE A*men, though, I actually LIKE this one. Too bad I can't wear the stuff.

colormechris's avatar

Antaeus by Chanel

They don't make 'em like this anymore! Well, with Tom Ford overseeing the creation of several new scents we're getting them back. Gucci Pour Homme comes to mind as being of this type of what can only be called "power fragrance". Antaeus is one of those scents that transport you to another place. Like it's cousin Kourous, Antaeus calls to mind ancient Grecian rituals...bacchanals in the villa of the Mysteries...exotic ancient evenings where things are given up to the gods and the braziers of burning incense waft up to the heavens and Zeus looks down and is pleased with the world. It's also great for a dressy night on the town or just a hint for a walk in the woods in your favorite sweater on the first really cold day of autumn. Antaeus is the kind of scent that somehow makes you happy and sad at the same time.

djuna's avatar

Anaïs Anaïs by Cacharel

This fragrance is actually named after Anais Nin, the avant-garde novelist who became famous for her erotica. Since I love Anais' books, I had to try this scent. I wish I hadn't... it smells like cheap scented soap. Wearing it is like being beaten over the head with a bunch of lilies. Sweet, light, feminine, and absolutely sickening... Anais Anais definitely doesn't deserve its name.

Spony's avatar

Orphée by Maxims

Terrific light, aromatic fragrance; great for spritzing in large doses. Reasonably long lasting with the watermelon detectable throughout. Best in summer, a scent that is cooling and dry at the same time.

Spony's avatar

parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Avignon by Comme des Garçons

Eau de funeral!This one evokes rather awful memories for me. I can't imagine anyone but a Goth in this fragrance.