Fragrance Reviews from September 2006

Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

Good Oriental, a bit too vanilla-sweet and feminine for my taste, but balanced so well that it all comes out quite elegant . As long as it's not oversprayed, Jaipur has a happy ending.
    Moreover, it does not suffer from the 'heavyness' of so many scents in the Oriental category which tend to come off way "over the top". Jaipur, by contrast, tends to float away like a cloud. For me, this was a fun try which I've enjoyed owning, though it got too powdery for my nose over the years. Jaipur has many fans but--PERFECTION? The Holy Grail? I hardly think so.
    Unless, of course, you're a Heliotrope addict. . .

22 September, 2006 (Last Edited: 18 June, 2009)

Little Italy by Bond No. 9

It gets boring very quickly. I like oranges but I have to agree 100% with teflondog on this one. Yep, it's an orange--gone linear

Clayton's avatar

Abu Dhabi Abu Dhabi

Comme des Garçons Parfum by Comme des Garçons

This explodes from the bottle like something straight from a medieval apothecary -- familiar, but wickedly anachronistic. After the initial medicinal exuberance fades, though, a more conventional spice and sweet woods feeling takes its place.

Clayton's avatar

Abu Dhabi Abu Dhabi

parfums*PARFUMS Series 1 Leaves: Shiso by Comme des Garçons

Dead on, in my estimation. A daring burst of much-maligned cumin, a whisp of mint, and a watery green undercurrent. But in the fashion of the most frustrating Demeters, it's great while it lasts but it doesn't last long.

dmcneill's avatar

Royal Delight by Creed

I love this fragrance. It's already been well-described here, so I'll just add that it's intoxicating when worn with Creed's Royal Water.

Far Away by Avon

I actually used to wear this in high school, so it brings back many memories for me. I just recently bought myself a larger bottle very inexpensively. Here is a description that I found: This modern oriental blends jasmine, freesia, orange flower, and peach. It's a very nice oriental, I love the peach in it and it's slightly spicy. It dries down to a very nice powdery velvet on my skin, and you definitely can't beat the price since you can find even cheaper bottles on ebay like I did. I believe it's the one of the nicest creations to come from Avon.

Mira Baï by Chopard

This is a description that I found Mira Bai: The design house of Chopard presented Mira Bai in 1998 since then its been known for its woody, sharp scent which blends black currant, sandalwood, pralines and soft flowers. Its suggested for daywear. It's a very pleasant scent. I think I will layer it with Casmir (which I love) for added depth. It's nice alone, but it needs a little more punch.

Dolce & Gabbana by Dolce & Gabbana

I love orientals, but this is too much! Smells almost like an older men's cologne. I'm not sure why so many people like it. It's very strong and spicy, nothing really feminine about it. Maybe it's the carnation or coriander that I'm not caring for? I'm hoping that maybe I'll like it more as it settles, but judging from the other reviews, that could be a while....

Lolita Lempicka L'Eau de Minuit / The Midnight Fragrance by Lolita Lempicka

I'm really not seeing much of a difference between this and the original. I found this description of the fragrance: The Midnight Fragrance is a voluptuous and sensual version of the Licorice Flower even enriched with special notes and sublimated by a Starry Night colored Bottle. I absolutely adore the original, it's probably my favorite perfume ever, so yeah I like this alot!

Tamya by Ayala Moriel

Tamya--as pretty a jasmine fragrance as any I've worn. I like florals, but I know some folks don't, and I suppose one reason might be that a single flowery note rises above all others and starts drilling its presence into the brain. In Tamya, the surrounding notes restrain the jasmine from growing too boastful, while at the same time none of them really steps ahead of the jasmine either.

Today it happens to be misting outside, and I wish it were a mist of Tamya I could walk through. I'd love to experience this scent in the outdoors. But I fear Tamya is so mild, I'd lose track of her in the wind.

zenpiper's avatar

Knize Ten by Knize

Starts off smelling a bit like powdery Dunlop tires in a nice leather bag. Then it softens into smelling like the leather bag with the tires removed but a little of the powder left: slightly musky powder. I like this stuff. Not for an evening of romance At All, but great for the club or a day in a tweed blazer. Creed Cuir de Russie is still my favorite leather fragrance but Knize is singular and powerful.

zztopp's avatar

Royal Bain de Caron / Royal Bain de Champagne by Caron

All the rumors about the California millionaire are true; from the official Caron site:
    "In 1941, CARON created ROYAL BAIN exclusively to satisfy the whims of a Californian millionaire who wanted to replace his extravagant champagne baths"

Ok, now that we know that the hype is true, lets dissect the fragrance.

Notes: rose, lilac, incense, benzoin, opoponax, cedar, sandalwood, vanilla, amber, musk.

Royal Bain opens with a sweet trail reminiscent of chargonnay champagne...its slightly fruity, and the notes responsible for this aura are the mix of lilac, violet, benzoin and incese. Infact, if sprayed on a bit heavy, it might remind some people of rat poison. Not a good thing. Although unusual, the opening can be a hit or miss with people. From there, the champagne/rat poison smell lingers for a while, before blending into a powdery musky base. The top notes are uniqye - the base, not so. You will like this fragrance if you like fragrances with champage/wine notes.

Overall, this is a simple slightly unique composition with average longevity. Although it has a fair bit of history and lots of fans, I will penalise it for smelling a bit like rat poison, but give it props for being unique.

jerd's avatar

Santal Noble by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

The nectar of the gods, this is sandalwood par excellence. The beginning is a little rough though. It defintely has, as one member put it about another MPG, "imagine a hippie is changing a diaper at a Starbucks" overtones, but those quickly disappate. Instead you are left with the most beautiful, contemplative slightly sweet sandalwood. As others have noted, the drydown is spectacular. This is truly a gem.

acrylic-hunter's avatar

Pakistan Pakistan

Eau de Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

THE reason I was put off all aqua smells. God! I hate that mettalic pro - headache stuff. I could not go beyond the first 10 ml and had to give it to someone.

acrylic-hunter's avatar

Pakistan Pakistan

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

Very original and very for MEN...boys and girls..dare not smell it. I like the top and the base notes best though..The heart is rather powdery. Lasts reasonably long.

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Santal de Mysore by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Mmm, it's so wonderful. And quite sweet, I'd call it a gourmand scent. I wonder where the sweetness comes from because there no vanilla or anything like that listed among the notes? There's also a decidedly skanky skin musk, much like MKK, that's quite addictive. Other than that (sandal)wood and spices and a sharpish/soapy/herbal edge that makes me think of this as a "vintage" style scent. Very comforting and warm and enveloping but without being the least dull.
    Very alive, like a living person with lots of character, someone experienced, perhaps an aging artist, someone charismatic and warm with lots of humour but also mischief and intellectual clarity and sharp, accurate judgements.

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

l'eau de parfum #2 Spiritus / land by Miller et Bertaux

Interesting. Quite chilly, like a CdG scent, maybe Zagorsk or one of the Synthetics. I get incense and a sharp soapy/herbal/green presence, but also something warm and comforting. I like it, but I don't know why since it's not "pretty" and not in my usual style. It should be too soapy and cold and sharp for me, but that warm, cosy tobacco/incense note makes me like it, as well as the exotic strangeness of it. It's like smelling metal and ginger, perhaps fresh ginger being cut up with a knife in a room with a lingering trace of incense and spices in the air.

areko79's avatar

Iran Iran

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

I feel inclusive citrus smell allways,
    of course among 2 hours - because
    longevity is 2 hours. its longevity is the worst part - though this problme solved in Eau Sauvage Extrême.
    Despite Davidoff & Kenzo products that
    are similar, Dior products are not
    similar to each others.
    Eau Sauvage is important citrus-scent.

colormechris's avatar

Jovan Musk for Men by Jovan

I like to wear this when I'm in a 70's kind of mood. Even though I was a child in the 70's, I still envied the generation before me and all the debauched disco glamour they seemed to be revelling in. Now I can put on Jovan Musk for men and fantasize I'm a Manhattan dilletante stumbling home from another one night stand. As dirty as this might sound, this fragrance is actually very clean smelling, like a childs hair after their bath-time.
    Experienced but not too far from innocence. Gee, that sounds like a perfume ad from the 70's...

's avatar

Héritage by Guerlain

Quite interestingly, being a woman, as a budding Guerlain fanatic – this was my first Guerlain! I'd sniffed my way through the extensive Guerlain shelf during the lunchbreaks of my first (mindnumbingly boring) job and decided this was the one for me. As long as you don't overdo it it smells lovely – a very deep, sexy wood base with lavender top notes, which add softness.

Hamp's avatar

Hugh Parsons (Blue) by Hugh Parsons

Hugh Parsons is a wonderful fragrance that is light, clean, and fresh.
    It has a distinctly masculine presentation which communicates classic regal elegance. It is refined and delightful. An excellent traditional fresh scent!

Cumbriadave's avatar

England England

L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

I'm a novice in fragrance terms but I tried this today and was distinctly underwhelmed. Not unpleasant by any means, but nothing special. A little D&G ish perhaps...inoffensive but I wouldn't shell out for it! (Bottle's cool, though)

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

As mod as it is bland, it's the kind of gift the boss would pass out at the Christmas party to all the male clerks.

Not bad, just nothing to write home about. An inoffensive scent which blends with the crowd, and is guaranteed not to offend anyone.

Howard Roark would laugh. Bond would use it for target practice with his Walther PPK

23 September, 2006 (Last Edited: 19 June, 2009)

c-men's avatar

L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

L’homme is a bland fragrance that reminds me of a short-lived mix of CK’s Eternity for men and Crave. It is a shame that this fragrance is released with the YSL logo, not to mention the treason towards the loyal fans of YSL men’s fragrances, that love the undeniable character and longevity of previous releases (e.g. Jazz, Kouros and M7). Money talks and the people at YSL are looking to generate a best seller by appealing more to the mass market with L’Homme. However, the extremely mediocre juice with a striking lack of any recognizable character, the ugly/unrefined bottle, the complete lack of concept with the campaign and the obvious risk for confusion with the previous YSL pour homme predicts failure. For sure the low watermark of men’s designer fragrance releases 2006 –just save your money.

c-men's avatar

Antidote by Viktor & Rolf

The top notes of antidote reminds vaguely of Eternity for men, but that is where the similarities end. The fragrance successively slides into a discrete vanilla-amber base with a hint of patchouli through the journey of mandarin, grapefruit and orange blossom notes. Although not that ground breaking, it is a very well crafted and balanced scent despite the expected fragrance-note chaos. The scent does not project much and wears close to the skin, although I have been able to detect it 24 hours after application. The biggest “flaw” the Dutch duo are accountable for is dubbing their scent ”the antidote to the boredom of men’ fragrances” when in fact they are simply adhering to the current designer trend of fresh-oriental men’s fragrances. In conclusion, Antidote makes for a nice versatile well-balanced citrus-vanilla fragrance, with a difficult-to-motivate “exclusive” price level. Did I forget to mention the compliments from the opposite sex?

parisa's avatar

Chinatown by Bond No. 9

Simply the BEST fragrance I've ever tried and now proudly own. Chinatown is an elegant, sophisticated oriental/floral scent that even migraine sufferers(myself) can wear. On my skin, the dry down is clean and creamy. I love it and highly recommend everyone to at least try it.

PigeonMurderer's avatar

Finland Finland

Mans by Gai Mattiolo

I must admit that rareness of this scent makes it even more pleasurable for me, as it brings the certain intimate feel to it.
    Quite an amazing situation actually : It seems that I`m truly the one and only person at the Basenotes who wears this scent!

I love it, I absolutely love this fragrance. It has something unexplainable power which I find extremely compelling. I`d say this isn`t very much of a rich, deep or complex type of a fragrance. It is just...capturing.

Made by Maurice Roucel by himself, this scent is a weird and unique citrus/floral blend. I don`t know anything like it, but if I should give you a clue, think of something in between Fahrenheit and Moschino Uomo and you just might get a slight taste of it.

GM Mans starts off with crispy bergamot flood with very clear synthetic vibe. This isn`t a problem with me, because I love scents with synthetic nuances. This one reminds me of a captivating smell of a floor wax.

This isn`t a scent with great projection : Those bergamot and synth notes remain through this fragrance in obvious fashion, only getting some company from violets, apples, sweet ginger and cool, airy type of musks. Perhaps a gentle touch of woods at the bottom, although this is definitely not a woody fragrance by any means.
    Lasting power is completely flawless on me; 10 hours can be reached quite easily.

I don`t know what Mr. Roucel was thinking when he made this fragrance. And still, I have a great reason to be thanfull to him for the rest of my life,
    giving me this personal fragrance. The only downside with the lack of popularity is the danger of discontinuing. So I must stock this heavenly juice well. Don`t never wanna loose these spritzes, because there is not too many fragrances that have a quality to take me away...to somewhere better.

Dia Woman by Amouage

I'm glad SilkandSteel wrote such a detailed review before I did. My interpretation is too simple. Keeping in mind that I can never detect orris/iris, and I'm not a fan of the frankincense, all I can report is that I get a soapy smell, which I'm guessing is a result of the combination of floral with musk and civet (I like civet in other fragrances). I'm obviously an inferior sniffer not to be able to appreciate what this scent has to offer. Happily, Dia is not too strong, so I'm not compelled wash it away.

White Potion by Ayala Moriel

Top notes: Ylang ylang, Grapefruit, Rosewood
    Heart notes: Tuberose, Jasmine, Gardenia
    Base notes: Sandalwood, Tonka bean, Coconut
    If I didn't have access to the notes listed above, I'd be stumped to define WP's population. I would say white floral (without orange blossom) with a hint of heliotrope. This is sweet (not cloying), simple, soft, elegant, and incapable of offending a soul. If you are a grade school teacher and want to be remembered as beautiful, I recommend White Potion to you. As with other AM fragrances, I'd need a liberal application to radiate the range of sillage I'd like.

zenpiper's avatar

Musk for Men by Coty

Nice, inoffensive fragrance, highly reminiscent of Pinaud Clubman. Perfect for a casual day, but easy to over-apply. Go easy, since it lasts forever.