Fragrance Reviews from September 2006

English Fern by Penhaligon's

Top Notes - Geranium, Lavender
    Middle Notes - Oakmoss, Woody, Clover
    Base Notes - Patchouli, Sandalwood

English Fern is one of the classiest fougeres around. The opening is fresh and slightly soapy, anchored by a nice lavender note. From there, the fragrance transitions to an earthy woody scent - the oakmoss is extremely well blended with the clove. Clove, a note which was overdone in LP No.9, is masterfully put to work here. The balance between the oakmoss earthiness and the clove notes' spicy freshness is just right. A sandalwood base provides a smooth richness to the overall composition.

English Fern is a classic, understated, all-purpose fragrance (especially for formal and office wear). With excellent longevity, this is a must try, especially for fans of the fougere genre of fragrances.

zztopp's avatar

Royal Scottish Lavender by Creed

Royal Scottish Lavender (RSL) is a lavender-based fragrance of a very high quality. The top notes introduce one of the most natural smelling lavender that I have had the pleasure of experiencing. The lavender note is clean, slightly earthy and smooth at the same time. I detect a hint of citrus in the top notes too. The middle notes introduce a blend of spice and moss, before RSL ends the experience with a base of either vanilla or sandalwood (I wasnt able to find the official notes listing anywhere).

Just like the classic Caron Pour Un homme, lavender is the star of RSL. However, compared to Caron homme, the lavender note is far more complex and natural smelling in RSL. RSL is also a comparatively more complex fragrance. Overall, with decent longevity and a fantastic lavender note which makes its presence felt till the very end, RSL is an excellent fragrance worth seeking out.

Francois Blais's avatar

Montana Green by Montana

Indeed.
    The ingredients list is impressive, but in fact, it smells flat, cheap and boring.
    :-(

vadim's avatar

Russian Federation Russian Federation

Portos by Balenciaga

Balenciaga's crown jewel that shares quite a few notes with Ho Hang and Ho Hang Club but easily outshines both. Put it on your shelf between Jules and Renta Pour Lui, and you won't be disappointed.

vadim's avatar

Russian Federation Russian Federation

X for Men by Clive Christian

X has an exquisite cool-breeze-on-a-warm-day-by-the-seaside feel to it that I find hard to resist, but ultimately its lordly restraint and lack of intrigue spoil the show for me. And yes, it does exude massive amounts of refined dignity and class. In fact, so much class and calm self-assurance as to make X overqualified for my wishlist. I'll get back to it as soon as I'm riding a Rolls Royce with a chauffer or sailing a Riva Athena. In the meantime, I'll substitute with Erolfa or Garrigue.

tvlampboy's avatar

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

The nicest "white" fragrance I've discovered outside the world of niche fragrances. Widely available, too, and not terribly expensive.

Could easily see this one as unisex, yes. Don't know about "the ladies," but I sure get a lot of compliments from my boyfriend and other guys on this one.

A personal favorite -- sure hope that Miyake never discontinues this gem.

tvlampboy's avatar

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme by Guerlain

Get the extreme version, definitely. Benb was right -- "heaven in a bottle." That said, bear in mind that this is NOT a fragrance for those men who don't favor sweet scents. The initial spray will almost knock you over with its incense-y (benzoin? frankincense?) notes. The drydown is nice, true, but it takes about an hour to begin. In short, expect very sweet and intense for the first hr., then a lovely drydown that lasts all day.
    I've tried both versions, and far prefer the extreme one. VERY nice buy -- can't wait to wear this one during the holiday season. (Probably NOT a summer fragrance, at least not for me.) Would also make a nice women's fragrance -- I could definitely see this one as unisex, no matter how Guerlain markets it.

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

I like this scent, a very strong and lasting cologne that is good for the summer months. I love the white musk in the basenotes that comes through and shines, this is a must for any armani fan to have in their wardrobe of colognes.

Emporio Armani He by Giorgio Armani

Love it! this is very soft yet masculine and good for spring/summer wear, i love the bottle design and the color of the bottle. Again this doesn't last as long as i'd like it to but it is one of my favorites.

Emporio Armani White He by Giorgio Armani

I love this scent very much, however my only complaint is that it does not last all day, the white musk comes through very strong but it fades after about 5 to 6 hours, but it has a distinctive smell which i cherish.

Armani Mania by Giorgio Armani

Very long lasting fragrance that i love. I love this for the spring and summer months. The only scent from Armani that i hate is Armani Eau Pour HOmme. but everything else i adore, this is a must have for any armani cologne fan!

Crave by Calvin Klein

had no idea it was targeted for the younger genreation, i'm in my 30s so no big deal, but this took a while to grown on me and i have to say it's okay, i like it and would wear it, love all the components that make up this scent, they mesh well together.

Truth Calvin Klein Men by Calvin Klein

this is a good summer scent, it has wonderful ingredients and reminds me calming waters, great job Calvin!!

Emporio Armani Night He by Giorgio Armani

Love it! for it is very distinctive of all of the emporio armani frangrances and the only one that lasts all day when i wear it, a spring/summer fragrance that has a very strong citrusy feel.

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

Very nice fall scent very masculine and lasts throughout the day. A must have for any Armani fan

Rive Gauche pour Homme Light by Yves Saint Laurent

i actually liked this, it defintiely lasts all day and to me it can be worn in the fall or the spring, it's light but strong and masculine and the ingredients play off of those themes quite well, it's not one of my top favorites but i do like it.

Eternity Summer for Men 2005 by Calvin Klein

I like this but not as much as the original, it has odd qualties about it, perhaps the make-up of the fragrance doens't mesh well, there is something i cna't put my finger on that i dislike, but i bought it so i guess i'll wear it.

djuna's avatar

Narcisse Noir by Caron

This is a dark, fiery scent, with an intimidating opening and a really lovely drydown. As many people have noticed, the civet is pronounced and a bit overwhelming, and when I first apply it, there is a strong smell of burning incense, accompanied by a heavenly smell of freshly peeled oranges. It's a remarkable experience, but not exactly wearable. However, as it dries, the orange and incense begin to harmonize, and even the civet retreats into the background, providing a fabulously dark undercurrent, like cellos playing a deep, elegant counterpoint to the melody of the incense smoke and neroli. In a few moments, the scent begins to smoulder, playing the fiery opening theme in a softer, subtler key, and the people around you will have to lean in to feel that heat. I can't think of anything more seductive.

Royal English Leather by Creed

Rich, deep, but not too intense. Nothing sweet or cloying (see, e.g., Vintage Taborome). Subtle, complex; the sort of thing you want to keep smelling to try to figure out. My only gripe is that I'm left with a powdery edge to it after a couple of hours. By the way, a great way to compare a number of Creeds is to get a selection of sample sizes on Ebay from seller "786hoodas". Very inexpensive.

Sélection Verte by Creed

Clean, fresh, but I find the mint too dominating and medicinal. For something citrus and fresh a little herbal, I much prefer Millésime Impérial; more subtle, interesting, layered.

"Vintage" Tabaróme by Creed

I had to laugh when I read a review in which someone complained that it only lasted a few hours. I put a couple of tiny drops on the back of my hand at 9 in the morning, it's now 7:00 p.m., I've washed my hands twice, and I still can't get rid of it. I find it nauseatingly and headache-provoking intense. Musty. I agree with the references to "old money," -- literally -- like money that's been in a wet basement for a couple of years. For a rich, earthy selection from Creed I much prefer Royal English Leather. Much more subtle. The sort of stuff you want to smell to try to figure out. There's nothing to figure out with Taborome. You can't escape it. No way I'd subject others to this in a closed room.

Himalaya by Creed

Great, fresh, rich, not too sweet. Easy to wear any time. But after about one hour there's not much left.

thompson615's avatar

Samarkand by Body Shop

i used to love this fragrance. anyone think they could dupe it?

nickk's avatar

Romania Romania

Baby Doll Paris by Yves Saint Laurent

I really like this!

designprofessor's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Elegant scent. Bright citrus initially, which is nicely abrassive. Then mellows to a clean crip earthy freshness. Brings to mind images of manicured bright green lawns after a rain and later neatly pressed white shirts. I think it compliments suits -pair it with a dark navy suit, a crisp white shirt and a colorfull Hermes tie.

supermarky's avatar

Jean Paul Gaultier Summer by Jean Paul Gaultier

it opens like D&G pour homme then becomes le male

supermarky's avatar

Safran Troublant by L'Artisan Parfumeur

in brentwood there is an 'upscale' Indian restaurant that has saffron infused rice pudding and robyogi is onto something, the flavor is completely congruent to wearing safran troublant.

is this parfum too delicous to wear? I wonder about that in a way, but still am definitely into wearing safran troublant even if I wonder if I should be!!

djuna's avatar

Stella by Stella McCartney

Stella reminds me of walking through New York in autumn, just as the sun is falling over the horizon and the dusk casts a luminous Byzantine gold over the landscape. This is an elegant, restrained fragrance, with a heart of deep, dusty tea rose. The amber adds warmth and sophistication to floral notes that might otherwise be girlish or overly delicate. Stella has an aura of intelligence, withdrawal and reflection, perfect for the first cool days of fall, for gallery hopping, or for visiting your favorite used book store. My only complaint is that the scent is relatively short-lived, and its subtlety precludes the sort of sillage that I like. Keep it for yourself, for days of seclusion and peace.

bonni's avatar

Miss Dior Originale (previously Miss Dior) by Christian Dior

I was strolling past the Dior counter in a department store, and as I had deliberately not worn fragrance that day, I was in the mood for testing. I had a bit of this, a bit of that, then I hit the Miss Dior and I was instantly transported to the past, and I looked up at the sales assistant with wonder in my eyes and said, "My grandmother wore this!" She smiled and nodded and said, "Yes, it's a classic." And it is, too.

This fragrance is spunky, sophisticated, surprisingly chic. It caused a sensation when it was released in 1947, and it's still sensational.

25 September, 2006

davinalondon's avatar

Présence d'Une Femme by Montblanc

very gorgeous and distinctive. Warm and pineapple fruity warm scents without smelling like a fruit salad

25 September, 2006