Fragrance Reviews from September 2006

F_Frez's avatar

Promesse by Cacharel

Nice, but for a romantic fragrance it lacked of interesting or distinctive notes, like Anais Anais, Noa, LouLou or Gloria from the same Cacharel. Notes are: mandarin, bergamot, jasmine Sambac, orchid, blackberry, amber, musk, sandalwood and cedar... except for the blackberries, they are rather standard notes.

Halston 1-12 by Halston

It is rumoured that when the great philosopher Immanuel Kant was struggling with the finer points of his Transcendental Deduction, he developed a bad case of thinker's block. Dabbing his brow with 4711 cologne was of little help. He took to grunting neurotically and developed a nervous tic.
    "It seems to me, guvnor," said his servant, "that what you need is a bottle of Halston 1-12: an oddly intellectual scent, quiet, reserved and abstract, a genteel whisper of sharpness, elusive, delicate and complex - a real Professor's perfume in my opinion."
    After several applications of the said 1-12, we are told that the great man stopped grunting and twitching and soared off into the upper stratosphere of critical metaphysics once again.

Halston Z-14 by Halston

We are told that when the great philosopher Immanuel Kant finally finished writing his Critique of Pure Reason, he was so near the point of mental exhaustion that his nerves craved some cruder physical stimulus. Informing his servant that he intended to set out for a night on the town, he was about to spray on some Halston 1-12 when his servant stopped him in his tracks.
    "Hang on, guvnor, if it's a night of boozing, brawling and wenching that you're after, you'll need something with a bit more oomph than the professorial 1-12 - something more like Halston Z-14."
    The Professor sprayed on some Z-14 from the bottle which his servant offered him and thoughtfully sniffed his wrists. "My, my," he declared, "this scent puts me in mind of the Antinomy of Pure Reason with which I have just completed my intellectual struggles, for you could with equal reasonableness advance contradictory theses concerning it: vulgar yet refined, crude yet complex, obvious yet enigmatic, cheap yet distinguished, sweet yet masculine, bold yet soft and warm. A veritable nest of contradictions!"
    In the event, the Professor became so absorbed by the paradoxes that Z-14 presented to his skin that he quite forgot about his night out on the town and stayed in his study instead, sniffing himself till dawn.

Omar Sharif pour Homme by Omar Sharif

Hovering on the cusp between vulgarity and refinement, on terms of nodding acquaintance with the formidable Quorum and its ilk, you could certainly say that this scent, like the actor after which it is named, has more than a touch of golden, spicy, masculine charm and warm and handsome glory. Let modern babes pronounce it "Blergh!" while mature madames smile knowingly.

Quarry's avatar

Lovender by Ayala Moriel

I have with me the last of my Jicky, a fresh sprig of lavender, and Lovender. Lovender is reminiscent of Jicky entering phase two. Having each on different wrists, plus the fresh lavender, I can say the flower itself is brighter and more astringent than these fragrances, as you'd expect. I never before picked up on Jicky's incense note until I just compared it with Lovender. I may be missing some element of Lovender, since I can never smell orris. Jicky EDT lasts and lasts on me (not true for others, I know) and it's affordable, so I'll replenish my supply, but I recommend Lovender to those who find the civet and leather in Jicky off-putting.

zenpiper's avatar

American Crew Classic Fragrance by American Crew

Horrid. Not a spec of refinement, fun, mystery or anything appealing. Subtle as a sledgehammer.

sshak13's avatar

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

It is kinda played out, but its still good. i think it gets too sweet on my skin sometimes, so maybe not for daytime use. have a nice day!

Route du Vétiver by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Finally, a niche house with enough balls, pardon my French, to go beyond tepid imitations of natural substances or abstract exercises in the art of fine blending. I may not necessarily like each MPG scent, but they are all raw and live, a no mean feat in today's perfumery. RdV is a delightfully untamed punch of pungent wet grass and earth and the first vetiver to make me doubt my no-vetiver policy.

Tea for Two by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I have to admit this smells like tea. Oversweetened black tea, and coming from a pot that has been refilled at least twice. If I were to serve anything like this to my tea-junkie girlfriend, it'd be tea for one. Now if I want to smell tea I'll make a fresh pot of strong Yunnan, and if I want to EXUDE the smell of tea I'll reach for my Eau du Fier, CdG Leaves-Tea or Bvlgari. And, there's no Lapsang Souchong in this, it's not really unisex, and you never put sugar in good tea.

Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Good Lord, my ordeal is finally over. No more frenetic hand-scrubbing and no more insults from my girlfriend who's been saying I smell like a peroxide-blonde wife of a Russian nouveau riche wheeler-dealer. With so much hype about L'Artisan here on Basenotes, I felt I absolutely had to test at least some of the highlights. I ended up testing about twenty. Dzing was the last one on my list. Now for the scent Ð thin, papery, sickeningly sweet, girlish, overdone and superficial, just like any other of the twenty I tried. There's a hopeless lack of substance and an unwarranted fussiness about L'Artisan scents that, to my nose, bring them very close to drugstore fragrances. Strictly for the lovers of Miller Harris, Bond No. 9, Demeter and the like. What I haven't told my girlfriend yet is that my next testing list is MolinardÉ

Koureas G's avatar

Cyprus Cyprus

Azzaro pour Homme by Azzaro

Although i was nearly 6 years old in the late 80Õs i had the chance to try Azzaro pour Homme as it was one of my brotherÕs favorite fragrances.
    Then used to be a great spicy, woody,musky,heavy fragrance of the 80Õs.
    Now is a heady, overwhelming, outdated fragrance.
    However it canÕt be considered as a diachronic,classic fragrance.

Vasily's avatar

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Everyone knew when he walked into a room. Perhaps it was the damp, used blackcurrant tea bags he wore under his arms. Maybe this is a generational thing: as an older gentleman, I want to smell sophisticated, interesting, and complex - not like something that should go from the teacup to the garbage. I don't get the SMW excitement ... but then again, I don't get the fuss folks make over GIT, either.

madridbatabidd's avatar

Spain Spain

Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

The top notes are fab: bergamot and petitgrain,really green still fresh, but the the dry down,ops no! it's just like my grammy soap, it actually reminds me my child hood when i was whased in the bath but, even the idea, it's cool, doesn't suit really my kind of ideal aroma:(

madridbatabidd's avatar

Spain Spain

Eau de Luxe Bigarade by Ex Voto

fantastic; very fresh but last long really good. Smell really citric,specailly to grapefruit and mint. A different kind of citric perfume

Lavender by Woods of Windsor

Don't know why this is listed as a women's fragrance -- it's about as unisex as it gets. Nice vanilla to tone down the lavender-y edges, but not much lasting power. Inexpensive, though, and not so harsh as Yardley's can be.

Diesel Plus Plus by Diesel

Very "green" smelling scent on me once the woods and florals die down a bit. Very sexy stuff for the price, and LOVE the packaging. I wear this one to the clubs a lot and think of it as a very "jeans-y" kind of fragrance -- not for the office crowd.

Diesel Zero Plus by Diesel

I have to respectfully disagree with at least two of the reviews here. (Each to his/her own, of course.) Still, I find this a very pleasant scent for the price. It could have better longevity, true, and it's NOT for those who don't like "powdery" scents, true. But all in all I find it a very "wearable" scent, esp. in cold weather. I don't find it "cheap smelling" at all -- just very spicy and then very powdery in its drydown.

TaoLady's avatar

Costes by Hôtel Costes

Opened subtly spicy...(can you say "cardamom"?) herbaceous flowers drifted in and then a curl of censed myrrh. Wafts nicely. Elusive and classy - I forgive it for not lasting very long!

25 September, 2006 (Last Edited: 22 June, 2009)

sd1207's avatar

Angel by Thierry Mugler

This stuff reeks; really nasty!! Like chocolate laced with b.o.

Harry_Daz's avatar

"Vintage" Tabaróme by Creed

Tabarome - I love it !

zenpiper's avatar

Bleu Marine by Pierre Cardin

I like this stuff! Ordered some Knize Ten and a little vile of Bleu Marine was in the box. (I love samples). Yes, it's sweet and common but so what? If you wear this, you will definitely get comments from women. Reminds me of Halston Z-14. True, Bleu Marine is not (to me) aquatic in any way, but it's pleasant and fresh and good. Lasts well.

25 September, 2006 (Last Edited: 26 February, 2011)

Mario Justiniani's avatar

Cuba Cuba

Laguna Homme by Salvador Dali

An amber aquatic, which is not quite a contradiction in terms; Laguna is 'pond' is Spanish. Not salty sea breezes but a calming, exotic, and tropical scent. OK it's not THAT great but it beats the hell out of Prada. Feels as if you're lying down on a hammock between coconut trees on a lazy afternoon. It's Tahiti time. Alas, nubile island girls serving Mai Tais, not included.

26 September, 2006 (Last Edited: 06 July, 2009)

Mario Justiniani's avatar

Cuba Cuba

Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada

Prada has an amber barbeshop feel that wears very close to the skin. This juice is understated and it seems to vanish quickly. If you like soapy scents, you'll enjoy this one.

26 September, 2006 (Last Edited: 19 June, 2009)

DOCPSYCHO's avatar

Persian Leather by Caswell-Massey

I like it but it smells a tad bit like gasoline when you first apply it. In a minute or two it settles down to a nice scent. It reminds me of the old Jovan Ginsing which I used to adore.

Elf's avatar

Dilmun by Lorenzo Villoresi

This is my favorite orange blossom scent, heightened and spiced with elemi and resins. Good lasting power, and very elegant. An extremely light touch of laurel gives it a good lift. Very bright and rich.

fiskadoro's avatar

Cèdre by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Erm... well, as a Serge Lutens admirer I can't say I like this one at all. Like many reviewers here, I did expect something more cedar-like (I got a sample so I hadn't read about its notes), but instead I got what seems like a powerful tuberose. I like tuberose, but prefer it on my female friends. This goes on smelling like old socks and ends up being way too, dare I say, "female" for me, I had to wash it off. Really, it's not a horrible scent by any means, I'm just thinking it is mis-named and perhaps should be aimed only at women.

hirch_duckfinder's avatar

Royal Delight by Creed

Well constructed scent, long lasting too. Lots of sweet honeyish leather and spice. For me it is too sweet and I find the spice a little generic so I won't be wearing it, at least until I'm in my mid 50s and have bought a very expensive beige suit.

Cuir de Russie by Chanel

Hmmm, this one's a shocker! I wanted more from this cornerstone scent. Perhaps it's really not for a man's chemistry, but I had to try. It opens a rather fresh floral bouquet, then develops to an animalic quality, just a tinge too much that overpowers IMO. Powdery notes enter the composition, and here I'm already thinking this is more of a granny scent, and quite disappointed from here on end. To add despair, the scent turns sour on me, but I've learned to expect this a lot when I try on a leather/chypre scent. Somewhere in the drydown, there's that familiar wood and jasmine note like Bois des Iles, but its powdery chypre notes make it just too distinct to mark a commonality with BdI. Darn! It's even ironic that I can actually feel better wearing No.5 without feeling self conscious. At least I can say that Bois des Iles is wearable in the Rue Cambon line.

Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada

I was expecting something more sensual with this one. It smells unique enough, distinguishable, but sadly not remarkable. All I got out of this scent was Lavender, Cardamom, and Vetiver, held together with Amber and Musk. Linear, but surprisingly long lasting. Strange too was the pricing. $49 for the regular bottle, $68 (I believe) for the weird spray nozzle mechanism. Regardless, it's different, long lasting, but not my cup of tea.

Guess Man by Guess

Surprised with this one, I bought this blind, the reviews were convincing enough here on BNotes, and I wasn't disappointed at all! Best description would be a fruity green chypre, young, but with some refinement, fresh with a warmth. Not something I'm expecting to wear the rest of my life, but definitely notable. I keep wanting to sniff the scent. I kinda think that this should've been what Ck's Crave should've smelled like, although I've read many compare this to Curve. Thank goodness for the bitter notes of pine and balsam to give it that wonderful masculine edge to it without smelling like I spent time at a Christmas tree sale. Sometimes I think Parlux creates scents that may smell a bit too synthetic, in this case it still does, but ironically it works!