Fragrance Reviews from September 2006

Opium by Yves Saint Laurent

My God, this is amazing. So warm and comforting but with an edge that makes it oh so sexy. I know this is for the ladies, but after smelling it on my best friend's wife, I had to buy a bottle for myself. I haven't been brave enough to wear it out in public yet, but it can totally turn my boring evenings at home into something special. A glass of red wine, my favorite cardigan, a special DVD, and Opium. Mr. Roger's eat your heart out.

Comme des Garçons Cologne by Comme des Garçons

OK,well,yes it's spicy. And full and rich and unusual. I love it when I first apply it, but it doesn't change much. A friend asked me why I smelled like Christmas. So, the novelty excites me, but perhaps a bit more subtlety. Great for a twentysomething guy with lots of energy and high self-esteem.

Kakihara's avatar

Spain Spain

Daim Blond by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

So refined, so beauty, so transparent (but no simple), completely unisex..

This is the best fragance I've ever smell.

kewart's avatar

The One by Dolce & Gabbana

I have just tried this one in a department store - new release, I believe! Seems very "green" at first and quite fresh and uplifting. Not a great deal of lasting power and the drydown is fairly bland. A good everyday scent for the office, maybe.

oolong's avatar

Infusion by Bombay Sapphire

I got a bottle of Infusion, which is the cologne version of the Bombay Sapphire Gin, today and gave it a try. The botanicals used in both the Gin and the cologne are Almonds, Lemon, Liquorices Root, Juniper Berries, Orris Root, Angelica, Coriander, Cassia Bark, Cubeb Berries and Grains of Paradise. If you want to know how it smells, just sniff some Bombay Sapphire's Gin. It does not evolve as a scent, you get the same scent from start to finish, it just fades. The scent is fresh, crisp, upbeat and best of all unique. As with cologne, after a moment you don't smell the alcohol, only the botanicals. I’m very impressed the fragrance, I find it a big step above most of the fresh, crisp scents out there. Unfortunately it is not that easy to find.

Un Bois de Sépia by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Un Bois Sepia starts off like a candied fruit scent...very sweet and very fruity. Surprisingly, that seems to last all of a minute or two, then the scent transforms into something just slightly reminiscent of L’Artisan’s Timbuktu. While I consider Timbuktu to be dry, charred woods with a very nice red berry touch, I consider Un Bois Sepia to be dried red fruits in a wooden dish, maybe with some vanilla syrup. The scent is sweet and dry with an ashen, woody note. The further it dries down, the woodier it gets and the less sweetness it has, but it never leaves the almost-too-sweet territory. Compared to Timbuktu, this smells like a confectionery, while Timbuktu smells more exotic, like a potion made by a tribal elder. One is something to eat, the other, something to wear. Nice, but maybe too sweet for my personal tastes. Not as sweet as Santal de Mysore, but sweet still.

Sandalo by Lorenzo Villoresi

Like all Villoresi scents, Sandalo starts forcefully. The initial blast could be a bit misleading, as this rather quickly settles in as a comfortable, dry, woody scent. To my nose the rosewood, sandalwood, and Bulgarian rose are most prominent through the middle notes. The rose here is not a sweet, feminine rose, but a dry, herbal rose, very natural and actually quite masculine. As it dries further into the base, it picks up a touch of sweetness and a resinous quality, slightly ambery, with a bit of opoponax. Very classy and yet still acceptable as a casual scent, Sandalo, also doesn’t last as long as most other Villoresi scents. I’d consider it unisex leaning masculine, possibly even primarily masculine. As with nearly all his scents, this one develops quite a bit, keeping things interesting throughout. Another winner from this house.

Vetiver by Lorenzo Villoresi

Villoresi’s Vetiver occupies the same ballpark as MPG’s Route du Vetiver and L’Artisan’s Vetiver. It’s earthy, dry, herbal, and strong. Expect plenty of sillage and tons of longevity from this scent. It’s stronger than the L’Artisan though not as strong as the MPG. Villoresi’s Vetiver is closer to L’Artisan’s Vetiver than it is to MPG’s RdV. It’s more herbal or green than the L’Artisan – both have a mint note, but the mint in Villoresi’s is paired up with celery and cumin, making L’Artisan’s mint more pronounced. All-in-all, I like L’Artisan’s a bit better, it seems to be the smoother of the two. That said, I like MPG’s the best of the three, as the blackcurrant note adds a richness, depth, and sweet plumpness that perfectly balances the raw, earthy, and pungent vetiver note. Vetiver is not really my note, so the way it is presented here - raw and herbal - is not to my personal liking. Still, I have to say it would be a good scent for those who like vetiver.

the_good_life's avatar

Germany Germany

Casran by Chopard

I need to vent my disappointment. This should have been perfect. That gorgeous bottle which made we WANT the moment I saw it. Even the cardboard box is beautiful, for god's sake. Then that enticing pyramid, promising rum, fruit and oriental delights, right down my alley. Finally all the rave reviews here from respected basenoters who know their frags. It should have been perfect, yes, but it's a total letdown. On me this is rather thin, and not luscious. There is abso- posi -tively NOTHING in there from the pyramid. Well, if there were light fruit aspects, or some booziness at least, but what there is is just a boring creaminess which somebody here very rightly associated with NIVEA. I hate the smell of Nivea. I just don't get what is supposed to be so great about this fragrance. Boredom, linear mediocrity and of the kind I personally don't like at that. Ironically I bought this blind together with Opium EdT, which I was very uncertain about, but loved immediately. I hope I'll find something in Casran that will make me revise this judgment, but I frankly do not see where it should come from. Sigh!

LiveJazz's avatar

Lonestar Memories by Tauer

Top:
    Geranium, Carrot seed, clary sage

Middle:
    Birchtar, cistus, jasmine, cedarwood

Base:
    Myrrh, tonka, vetiver, sandalwood

To me, it smells like an old hut in the middle of nowhere. Allow me to explain: I recently lived in New Zealand, and being the fan of the outdoors that I am, I went on some backpacking trips. Some of the huts here basically avalanche shelters. Some were so big they could almost have been hotels. And some were literally abandoned trappers' huts. In them were rusted old wood stoves, dented up ash buckets, some half burned wood, maybe a few wool blankets, lots of dirt, and the smell of decades of use by weary, dusty travellers. After tramping through mountains, sleet, rain, mud, rivers, grasslands and snow (usually all in the same day), the sight, smell, and feel of those huts caused a combination of emotions that I still can't totally identify. For dinner, we usually made some variation of vegetable soup and baked beans. Soon, that aroma mingled with the background smell of the hut, and THAT is what Lonestar Memories smells like. If our backpacks had been made of leather, it would impossible to tell the two smells apart.

I've always appreciated the added quality of niche scents, but this is the first that has truly shocked me. I didn't know scents were capable of this kind of depth. Andy Tauer puts some real soul and emotion into his creations.

If you like leathery, natural, rustic, and "unplugged" scents, Lonestar is going to absolutely blow you mind. Even if you aren't a fan of richer leathers, you will appreciate the sheer artistry of this one. Incense and leather sound like an overpowering combo, and usually they are, but Lonestar's leather is comforing and old, and the incense is gently smouldering birchtar laying in a bed of myrrh and tonka. The effect is warm and soothing yet assertive and very manly.

zztopp's avatar

Méchant Loup by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Bathed in forest scents...
    With Hazelnut at its core.

Notes: cedar, liquorice, hazelnut, honey

Mechant Loup. The "Big Bad Wolf". I played with a decent sized decant of this one for over a month, and let me tell you, this is no "big bad wolf".

Mechant Loup opens with a slight burnt almost gourmand foody smell. You can faintly smell the much talked about hazelnut note, and a bit of sweetness emerges in the form of a honey note. A few minutes later, the cedar note makes an abrupt appearance. It disappears as quickly, probably eaten up by a wolf. 30 minutes later, the hazelnut note takes over - and Mechant Loup transforms into a heavy hazelnut fragrance, with a sizeable amount of honey sweetness as well.

Make no mistake, its all about the 'nut here. I detect no spice. I would like to know what forest smells of honey and nuts. Perhaps the forest where Hansel and Gretel reside? Some of the reviewers observed that the scent reminded them of animal fur - I somewhat agree with that. The heavy blend of a raw hazelnut and honey does smell a bit like animal fur.

Like many of the L'Artisans, this one is extremely watery, with poor sillage and even poorer longevity. It is a mildly intriguing smell, but wont qualify as a good fragrance for me. After I had my way with the "big bad wolf", it whimpered away with its tail between its legs.

katrina's avatar

Chinatown by Bond No. 9

I just bought this today and was sure I was smelling cinnamon. I had to check out the ingredients to find out if I was right and I wasn't. I can't get technical like the other reviewers here, but it is a lovely warm, woody scent, rather like a less fruity Mitsouko. By the way, what is sillage? Even the guy in Saks didn't know! I love the fact that it is so different from the usual new offerings and that it is unlikely that anyone in the north of England is going to have it.

jimmyfresno's avatar

Light Blue by Dolce & Gabbana

I loved this one from minute one to hour five on a co-worker of mine and bought it to blend with male components to tough it up a bit because of what came across as "spicy," rich notes in the woman who was wearing it. Funny though, it turned out to be one of those scents in which the musk note becomes imperceptible to the wearer, so you have to be verrrrry careful not to over-apply. You can't tell how much you really have on. Lovely.

areko79's avatar

Iran Iran

Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren

Polo Blue = Echo (davidoff)+ Cucumber. one of the cheapest smell.

areko79's avatar

Iran Iran

Timbuktu by L'Artisan Parfumeur

A modern fragrances that i tested. great opening with green mango and
    gently pink pepper & cardamom, but
    undoubted its root are papyrus wood
    and karo karounde flower.
    some notes of it its similar to Gucci PH: Frankincense (Olibanum), papyrus wood, and vetiver in drydown.
    I like most of L'Artisan's because they
    are unique - but between them Passage
    D'Enfer, Tea for Two & Timbuktu are
    a bit smoky because of in it:
    frankincense & smoky tea.
    overall Timbuktu is high recommended.

tvlampboy's avatar

B*Men by Thierry Mugler

MUCH, MUCH better than that rank, toxic rat spit that Thierry Mugler dubbed "A-men". (A DESPERATELY need improvement, I might add -- I could probably use my bottle of A-men to get rid of termites and other unwanted insects.)

Very nice drydown, although the opening notes can knock you on your tuchus if you make the mistake of over-applying.

I bought a 1 oz. bottle of B-men on eBay, and can already tell that it'll last a long, long time.

Definitely a winter fragrance, btw.

BlackAmberMoon's avatar

Bulgari pour Homme Extreme by Bulgari

Words cannot describe how much I love Extreme and the original, Pour Homme. They're both so elegant and refined, subtly sexy. I think they both would be appreciated by an older, more sohpisticated man, one who doesn't want to his cologne to jump out at everyone. As far as lasting power, my boyfriend wears both, and I can smell them hours after application, but he can't - so perhaps it's just a case of the wearer's nose getting used to the scent. Sillage is great, in my opinion.

Solstice's avatar

Ungaro III by Ungaro

This is a very strong version of that quintessential 80's cologne Drakkar Noir. It brought me back to those days when my older brother was getting ready for a date and splashed Drakkar on himself before going out. I always thought Drakkar was abnoxious then and I still do. I blindordered Ungaro III based on the popular reviews here at Basenotes and boy was that a mistake! It is sickly sweet, overpowering, obnoxious, and comes across as tacky.... there is nothing refined or subtle about this nauseating cologne.

Solstice's avatar

Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta by Acqua di Parma

Old, old, old. Makes me think of wispy gray-haired ladies sitting on park benches feeding pigeons - with some lemon pledge. Colonia Assoluta is Crapola Absoluta.

kozulich's avatar

Yardley Musk for Men by Yardley

Not a bad fragrance, but a little underwhelming. It disappears within minutes for me, which causes me to question its usefulness. It was a gift, I wouldn't buy it again.

Randolph314's avatar

Marc Jacobs for Men by Marc Jacobs

When this first comes out of the bottle, the scent is terrific, with strong overtones of coconut. Within just a few minutes, though, that fades and all that's left is the distinctive smell of "green fig". I found it mildly unpleasant. It actually reminded me a lot of green bananas.

greatmate2's avatar

New Zealand-Maori New Zealand-Maori

Grass Oil for Men by Jovan

First purchased in 1974 in white opaque plastic bottle with tiniest of holes. Approx 3oz. Green printed label. Lasted 5-6 years and couldnt find again. Only discarded bottle in last 4-5 years.Current Musk and Sex Appeal seemingly juvenile in comparison! Oh well...yawn!!

Jaïpur Saphir by Boucheron

Jaipur Saphir is delcious. I would normally pass up this type of fruit blend ( peach, yuzu, tangerine) but it seems to work effortlessly, gorgeously, and has this sweet little mystery note that lingers.
    Magnolia, Stephanotis Jasmine and Heliotrope are at the heart of it, The drydown is warm, sensual and pleasant. Amber, Cinnamon wood, Sandalwood, Vanilla, and Karmir wood.

Bulgari pour Femme by Bulgari

I can't seem to stop buying this one. It gets warm compliments and feels so lush and fresh, and yes, youthful, in a good way.

Shalimar by Guerlain

Shalimar is sneaky. It settles in and becomes so sensual. It feels like it is nuzzling up to you, though you are barely aware of it. This is my numero uno scent.

Jardins de Bagatelle by Guerlain

What a blend, it does drive me crazy. I like wearing this in cooler weather, it is intoxicating. Beautiful.

Samsara by Guerlain

I love this scent and start to wear it as the weather cools. It is too spicy for humid summer nights, but is lovely and sweet in the right climate.

Les Météorites by Guerlain

A lovely fragrance that goes everywhere & is noticed without being overbearing. This is my 'go to' scent when I know I'm going to be in a meeting or with new people. It isn't over the top sexy, it is just fresh and lightly sweet, but it has something special. You can still find it here and there.

GF Ferré Lui / Him by Gianfranco Ferré

I think of this as a warm weather scent. The opening cardamon note is bracing but not overpowering or harsh. The scent is fresh and clean and without any of those ridiculous "aquatic" notes. The scent is nice but not great.

27 September, 2006

Vintage by John Varvatos

What a HUGE disappointment. This smells like 45 other mens fragrances. To put it simply, it reeks of dog piss from beginning to end, which, by the way, doesn't come near soon enough.

27 September, 2006