Fragrance Reviews from September 2006

firstark's avatar
    firstark

Bois Farine by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Bois Farine is the closest thing in my search for the ever elusive 'Holy Grail'. This scent emanates a sense of well-being, I feel I'm a better me wearing this.

Gaz's avatar
    Gaz

Acqua di Genova Colonia by Acqua di Genova

I tried this for the first time about a week ago in a specialist perfume shop London. I know Aqua Di Parma very well, but had not come across Acqua Di Genova before.

It's a delightful, light fragrance reminding one of the pure essence of an Italian summer distilled into a bottle. The lemon, orange and bergamot top notes give way to the citrus and woody basenotes. It's quite lovely, can be worn by either sex and is so much more subtle than Aqua Di Parma.

Despite the range of one-off perfumes on display in shop I purchased it in, I was surprised to discover Aqua Di Genova was the single biggest seller.

Highly recommended!

iMaverick's avatar
    iMaverick

VV Man by Roberto Verino

This was dubbed as my summer staple of 2006. A fresh floral-green composition with a wooded base, I love its melon opening, which I wish stayed around for a bit longer, and segues into a very floral, light, but masculine nature, the jasmine, clove and heliotrope make a very definite united presence, and quickly diminishes to a transparent, airy presence that's perfect for office wear. This definitely reminds me of IUNX's Eau Qui Pique. Some might find this lacking in presence, and Ck Truth for Men or even YSL's Nu might be right for them.

Quarry's avatar
    Quarry

Number One by Parfums de Nicolaï

Very pretty, feminine white floral--tuberose is dominant and, although not officially among the notes, there's a whisper of gardenia. After wearing #1 a second day, I compared it to La Chasse aux Papillons. In my mind they were similar, but I was surprised. Smelling #1 first made the orange blossom within the La Chasse really stand out. When I compare Jo Malone Orange Blossom to La Chasse, the OB makes La Chasse's tuberose stand out. The three scents compose a sweet-smelling spectrum. #1 does not last long on the skin, but that's the only derogatory remark I can make.

supermarky's avatar
    supermarky

Cuiron Pour Homme by Helmut Lang

I'm sorry but after wearing it a few times to me this stuff is just vile. So harsh. Not the smell of a leather jacket, but that tanning acid extract or something. I can detect "leather" but only inside an acrid shell that singes my sinuses and smelling it I immediately feel uncomfortable like I'm wearing a rubber suit in the middle of august. Also, as with Demeter leather I distincly get the smell of gasoline. A wonderful smell in the doses you get in brief visits to the gas station or in refueling the lawnmower, but it is not cologne material.

Cuiron makes comme's tar, skai and garage seem cosy by comparison.

Maybe MAYBE it'd make more sense in the winter? but I think it would only really make sense after the texas chainsaw crew is done with you.

Joop! Homme by Joop!

Joop! looks like a funky fragrance. However, it smells funky too (and not in a good way).

The top notes are sweet - its probably the cinnamon taking over. The merging of the top and middle notes introduce a very sweet and synthetic accord which transforms to a strong gasoline note within a couple of minutes - I dont know what it is, but maybe its the combination of the cinnamon and honeysuckle notes. You can even smell it during the drydown, and it is quite ghastly! There are no hints of orange blossom, sandalwood or vanilla. The longevity is excellent. However, Joop! as a fragrance is a not.

Santal Impérial by Creed

Santal Imperial is one of the most focused and high quality sandalwood fragrances around. Made for a king a long time ago, this imperial sandalwood still rules the roost.

Opening with a burst of citrus (and bergamot), the woody powdery heart of one of the most authentic sandalwood notes makes an appearance and takes center stage for several hours before melding with tonka beans and ambergris in the base notes to conjure a fantastic rendition of the Creed house note. Santal Imperial's laser-like focus on displaying a quality sandalwood note with minimal distraction by supporting notes is nearly unmatched. Its light and distinguished, and possesses enough virility to satiate any woody desires. Conservative? If you want a moroccan spice rack or ghastly chemical lab notes like burning tires and spermicidal lubes in your spray juices, this might not be for you. The sandalwood note might be less vivid than (Creed) Bois du Santal (another sandalwood powerhouse) and the overall composition less metrosexual than Original Santal, but this is still a must try for sandalwood afficionados.

Rating: 9.0/10.0

03 September, 2006 (Last Edited: 19 April, 2008)

Original Santal by Creed

I must be smelling a different fragrance here: Original Santal (OS), for some reason, gets slammed at basenotes. Many compare it to Joop! homme...I dont get the similarities. There is a slight resemblance for the first 6 seconds, but thats about it. And as for the Allure homme comparisons, I dont get them at all. Sweet? Compared to many Lutens concoctions, A*Men, or other metrosexual 90s juices, OS comes off as very demure. Loud? OS is nowhere as loud as some of the grandma juices from the 60s or 70s. Infact, OS is not even the sweetest or the loudest Creed .. just try Royal Delight, Royal English Leather, 2000 fleurs, Ambre Cannelle, etc..

On with the review: OS starts off with spicy citrusy notes - its the cinnamon locking horns with the citrus notes initially. I detect a combo of lavendar and orange in the top notes - this combo stays on stretches way into the drydown (although its quite muted by that time). The coriander comes into play soon and ups the spice tempo, while the lavender provides a discreet halo-like medicinal effect. The middle notes introduce some nice woody and benzoin notes - the cedar and/or sandalwood let off a pungent woody odor. OS dries down to a low key vanilla base - after the twists and turns of the top and middle notes, the drydown, while pleasant, comes off as bit of a disappointment. Vetiver, leather, or some balsamic notes would have been welcome and would have put the finishing touches to a good display. Joop! homme by comparison contains a very sweet opening which introduces a strange, sometimes sickening, relentless motor oil note which goes away only when the fragrance dies.

OS is a nice, well made fragrance with excellent sillage and longevity. Its a "spicy wood" fragrance, sort of like Luten's Santal de Mysore except that its less intense and balsamic. Compared to Creed's Santal Imperial and Bois de Santal it doesn't possess as clear a sandalwood note, but its construction is more complex. Its a different fragrance catering to a more modern crowd. Creed already have two top drawer sandalwood fragrances and OS does its own different thing well. There are only so many sandalwood plantations a house can uproot to serve its royal clientele...plus you know you want the glistening Red Ombre bottle in your hands !

Rating: 7.5/10

03 September, 2006 (Last Edited: 29 April, 2008)

Bleecker Street by Bond No. 9

Drawn in by the hypnotic, wacky looking bottle, I decided to give this one a try. The top notes are fresh, and you can clearly smell the thyme note...for 5 seconds atleast, before it is overtake by the earthy violet leaves. Interms of evolution, it seems as if the middle notes are skipped over altogether - I get a faint whiff of jasmine, but no cinnamon whatsoever. The base is muted sweetness, accomplished by use of amber and vanilla mainly. This is definitely no gourmand fragrance. I just stepped you through the notes...sounded pretty boring right? It smells boring too. Longevity is below average. And upon second thought, the bottle design is too gaudy too. I dont know what Rahme et al were trying to accomplish with this release. Skip this poor effort.

Duncan's avatar
    Duncan

H.M. by Hanae Mori

I just sampled this recently and thought I'd like it based on its classification. Holy cow, I hate it! As some of the other detractors have said, it's a sickenly sweet, almost candy-like fragrance that I'm not clear on why it qualifies as a cologne.

melissa1's avatar
    melissa1

Lolita Lempicka by Lolita Lempicka

I just received this in an exchange of perfume samples between friends. I guess I too, live under a rock because I've never smelled it. It is so delicious. To me, it's very creamy and sweet, without the sickening vanilla that seems to be overpowering everything lately. I don't smell licorice at all, which is a good thing because I have disliked the smell since I was in grade school. It doesn't smell like any of my usual floral or fruity perfumes, and is way out of my comfort zone. Yet I can't stop smelling it. This is my new HG perfume. Definitely bottle worthy. I must thank my friend for the sample:))

speedy333's avatar
    speedy333
    Abu Dhabi Abu Dhabi

Cyprien by Fragonard

Excellent scent...one of my favorites. I would say this is in the same class as Bvlgari Aqva. Very light and fresh but with much more substance that Aqua Di Gio. If you are looking for a daytime/fresh scent I strongly recommend giving this one a try.

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

After reading all these rave reviews I though I had to try this one and since they didn't have a tester in the store I bought a 50ml bottle of Egoiste blindly. Def. a quality frag however, it's so cloyingly sweet on me I have to wash it off after 2 hours as it gives me headache and nausea. I wish it had another note/accord in it (citrus, tobacco..) that would offset its overall sweetness. It's just toooo sweet and now it's on my swap list..

Envy for Men by Gucci

I don't know what exactly it is but there is a note in Envy which smells very synthetic, almost nauseating to me. I found it very pronounced esp. during the first cca 30 min. After awhile it gets better but I still can't wear this frag. That stench ruins the whole, otherwise good, cologne for me so I'm using my 100ml bottle as a toilet air refresher for now and hope it runs out soon. Floris Santal = Envy without the synthetic stench, it's so much better!

Baldessarini by Baldessarini

This is suprisingly a frag I use most often. It's not the most original scent in my collection (although it's still excellent and very pleasant) but I found out it's the only one I not only like but can wear 24/7 and never get sick of it. The same cannot be said about any other frag I've ever owned or own inc. niche ones (e.g. Chergui, Knize Ten, Czech and Speake 88). Very strange.

Blu pour Homme by Bulgari

A friend of mind told me this is the hottest selling cologne, and most of the buyers are females who buy it for their men. I guess that means girls dig this scent. Personally, I like the smell but it doesn't last very long so I don't use this often. I would most probably wear it on a semi-formal or casual night event, or maybe when I'm on a date.

Old Spice by Procter & Gamble

Got this as a gift. It may not be my #1 choice, but I'd like to use it from time to time especially during cold days.

Adidas Urban Spice by Adidas

Not impressive but not that bad at all. It's been two years and my bottle is still half full.

Cool Water Frozen by Davidoff

nice scent and not as expensive as the others available in the market.

Happy for Men by Clinique

I have very mixed feelings with respect to this one. It's a reletively inexpensive cologne so I guess you can't be super critical of it in comparison to the high end ones. I love the freshness of the scent with this one. Happy is a great name for this cologne, it's so fresh and optimistic (lol if you can use that term to label a cologen I'm not sure, but I will anyways). However the worst thing about this cologne is that you spray it on and without exageration, one hour later you can barely tell that you put it on at all. Terrible longevity, even for a citrus scent. It's almost too feminine as well. Any girl could use this fragrence easily if they wanted to.

All in all, kinda nice, inexpensive, but not very practical due to it's ultra short longevity.

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

This is definitely one of my favourite scents. It just hits you with an aroma that is both dark and heavy as well as fresh at the same time.

The most noticeable characteristic for me upon first applying is the vanilla/little bit of mint/almost soapy kind of scent. As it progreses I can see how some are turned off by the kind of chemically scents in there but I think that for the most part that is an issue of overapplication. This scent is meant to be worn lightly. I spray once on the neck, once on the wrist and rub together. Any more and it is overpowering and plain gross, but lightly this is one of my favourites if not #1. Longevity is one of it's strong suits as well. Even a light application will last almost all day for you, no problems with that.

So all in all, this is a versatile cologne which you can wear during the day to school or work, and just as easily when you're going on a date, to the bar/club, or anything else. Remember the key is to go light on this one. It's a little played out but not as bad as your Armani/Lacoste colognes around where I live. Definitely worth a shot.

Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier

I recently tried this one out at the department store and I wasn't hugely impressed. It is very, very sweet smelling. To me it resembles Le Male a lot in that they basically just took the sweet elements out of that cologne and isolate them and the product was this.

It's nice and simple but way to sweet and doesn't have the masculine touch that Le Male posesses. The only plus about this one is that the 2 in one magnetic bottle is super cool. I won't be buying it though.

Cristalle Eau de Toilette by Chanel

My old roomie from Singapore used to wear this, because her boyfriend practically drooled whenever she did. I liked the way it smelled on her, too, but on myself, UGH! No way. It's quite strong and metallic, like sucking on a copper penny, and it kind of makes me nauseous if I don't wash it off within 20 minutes. It must be our different skin chemistries.

Very citrusy. And you can smell it a mile away.

Beautiful by Estée Lauder

I really don't know why this scent was so popular when I was in college. One of my male dorm-mates called it "man repellent." However one of my female friends said that her boyfriend loved it. To each his own! I personally think it has a very boring sour smell. My female cousins, however, all love it.

Halston Couture by Halston

This was the first perfume I bought for myself, and it was kind of a bad choice for a teenager. It's a very strong and sultry scent. The oak moss makes for a very strong woodsy base note, I'm guessing. Then there's some kind of amber in it, and they fight raucously together. I wasn't nearly old enough to wear this perfume, but as I got older, it was definitely something I could wear in the evenings. It changes on my skin, becoming more intense and actually kind of makes me dizzy.

I know they don't make this anymore, and that's a shame. It is a very different scent from the the other Halston perfumes. Halston Couture is the only one that came with a sterling silver top.

Dilys by Laura Ashley

My mother bought this for me when I was in college, and I swear, it smells like someone's breath after they've had a dozen beers. Fruity, ketone-y, hypoglycemic-y. Very fitting for a college student. I wear it sometimes, just because I loved the the bottle it comes in.

Curve for Women by Liz Claiborne

I personally love this scent. It changes on my skin, and smells pretty darn good. My husband on the other hand, hates it, because it reminds him of all the trashy women he had to deal with when he worked at a movie theater. I guess that's because it was so darn popular back then. Needless to say, I haven't worn it since.

Ciara by Revlon

I love this perfume. It's so strong. You can smell it a mile away. And it's so distinctive. I've only known one woman who claimed it for her signature scent, and she was a most remarkable lady. When she stepped into a room, you noticed -- because you could smell her! I agree with the above reviews that this perfume is for a special kind of person. Definitely not a subtle scent. I love it, but even I can't wear it because it would be like wearing a dark purple evening dress with stiletto heels and a feather boa to substitute teach at a Sunday school.

Ejderha's avatar
    Ejderha
    Sweden Sweden

Noa by Cacharel

This might sound cheesy, but my everyday life is not complete if I don't wear the scent of Noa. It's been my baby since 1999 when I recieved my first bottle as a birthday gift from my father, and now I just can't help being a total addict. I'm picky on perfumes and there are just a few that I really like, but I tend to get sick on a certain smell after a while, no matter how much I used to love it. The only scent that will follow me to the grave for sure, is Noa.

like2spray's avatar
    like2spray

Aramis by Aramis

I have the Cologne and the antiperspirant spray. Both are equally awesome. The anti does tend to clump a bit if I get carried away spraying it. Staying power is very good, I can smell it after a hard 8 hour shift at work.