Fragrance Reviews from September 2006

Quarry's avatar

Zohar by Ayala Moriel

I love orange blossoms, and Z contains my favorite floral commodity at every turn. The tuberose and jasmine are clearly present, too, sometimes making me think I smell gardenia. It's the mild amber gridwork that successfully ties the florals together in a way that's new to me. I'm confused which I like more--Zohar or Palas Atena. Both are excellent. Zohar has more sillage of the two.

Sweet Almond / Amande Sucre by Ava Luxe

Oooh, tasty. Almond, sugar, creme, marzipan-y goodness... (amaretto?) Yes, amaretto. This is at the top of my list of "comfort scents." I do, indeed, have a list. Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful.

White / Noel Blanc by Ava Luxe

Noel Blanc is interesting; it opens with a note that is reminiscent of Aqua Net (the old, aerosol hair spray), but is tempered by a deeper, sweeter white chocolate base. I also get a hint of brown sugar, ginger, nutmeg, and possibly raspberry (or some sort of tangy fruit). Nice, but I will need some cold weather before I can make sense of this one.

Milk by Ava Luxe

AL's "Milk" smells much like condensed milk-- the sweet milk in a can that is used as the base ingredient in so many desserts... I find this scent absolutely delightful, in the appropriate context. In other words, you don't want to wear it on a date--you DO, however, want to wear it to bed, on the inside of your elbow, on a cold winter night when DH is tucked away, snoring. (Oh, you KNOW it happens!) This is a comfort scent in every respect. If you like Demeter's "Condensed Milk" or any sweet-milk scented fragrance, you will love this. It's simple, but delightful

Doll Face by Ava Luxe

Cabbage Patch Kid in a bottle. Nice. I'm rather impressed by AL's Doll Face, and would recommend it wholeheartedly. This is a soft, powdery floral that has a hint of vanilla, a touch of white musk, and a light note of plastic (or rubber?).I don't pick up on the violet note at all, though it may be part of the floral/powder combination. Overall, very nice.

Loukhoum by Ava Luxe

Ava Luxe's Loukhoum is beyond delightful, and has a rare (and sweet) sophistication that sets it apart from other gourmand scents. Pistachio, hazelnut, cream, light musk, and a very light hint of rose water. Nice, indeed.

Note: I recently ordered a bottle of the Loukhoum Body Milk, and must add that it is one of the most delightfully addictive scents I own. (Nicely priced, too!)

Tubéreuse Criminelle by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I don't know if a guy could pull off this one- the Tuberose is quite ripe in the drydown. And you'd have to be a very, er, singular type of girl to pull off the opening- a fire at a tire plant being fed by Vicks Va-Po-Rub. It's brilliant, and in it's way beautiful, but more performance art than perfume.

Yes, I'd still wear it!

Mandarine Mandarin by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Brilliant- for me everything that Chypre Rouge should have been and wasn't (it's development is very similar). Opens with a bright splash very much like ripping into a fresh Satsuma, then is softened by immortelle and spices and sweet candied peel. Too bad it's not available here

Chypre Rouge by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

A rare mis-step from one of the most innovative and IMO best houses out there. Starts off with a bright hit that reminds me of Framboise, joined by thyme and moss. Just doesn't do it for me and from what I've read, I'm not the only one.

zztopp's avatar

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

When I was 13, I had a friend whose elder brother was an ardent user of Grey Flannel. I wasnt much of a fragrance enthusiast then, but I couldnt help notice the simple, suave and formal design of the bottle, and the fancy women that my friends brother used to hang out with. Fast forward a decade or so, and I finally have my own bottle. Being more mature and aware of fragrances, I can finally see what it was all about.

Grey Flannel is one of finest green- mossy fragrances ever crafted. The fragrance is constructed around the note of Violet - to my nose, the opening notes are outstanding. A floating violet note, tempered by citrus notes. You cannot detect the lemon or orange notes individually, but they help in toning down the earthy sweetness of the violent. The blending of the notes is superb. The fragrance then smoothly shifts to the basenotes phase. Oakmoss comes into the mix, and provides a slight fresh earthy accord. The violet note never goes away. Rather, it passes through the three note phases, visiting and mixing in with the structure notes. The longevity is great. If you dont like violet, you probably wont care for Grey Flannel. But its still worth sampling. Who knows, maybe you could find a new found appreciation for the violet note. Also, I couldnt believe the low prices for which Grey Flannel can be found online and in various stores.

Grey Flannel smells extremely natural, smooth, and chic. I can understand why it was the FIFI award winner in 1976.

Topper's avatar

Fou d'Absinthe by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This is a good scent. ItŐs fresh, clean and woodsy. But itŐs also a more refined and nuanced version of a 1950Ős after-shave. I smell anise and pine needles, and a short time later I smell only balsam. And not very long at all after that, I can smell very little at all. I find the best thing about Fou d'Absinth is its advertising copy. ItŐs a pleasant scent, but itŐs trivial. It reminds me a great deal of a more refined Mennen.

sshak13's avatar

Déclaration by Cartier

One of the most refined colognes out there, no surprise it is a cartier fragrance. Love the whole exotic smell, seems very complex, and lasts forever. It is kinda expensive, but worth it, for the cologne lover. very sensual and elegant. and never gets cloying. You always smell fresh when ur wearing it. I love cartier.

Bakerloo Line's avatar

Hungary Water by Crabtree & Evelyn

Rosemary and more rosemary. I had this in a very cool bottle with a cork stopper.

ToadKings's avatar

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

What is to say that has not been said already. To me this is a very verastile fragnance. I could wear this anytime, anywhere, and in any type of weather. When I don't know what to wear for the day, I know GIT has got my back. The top notes give off a very green and earthy feeling which makes me feel clean, fresh, and one with nature. When the top notes leave I get an amazing sweet but earthy smell that takes my breath away. I would suggest Green Irish Tweed to just about anyone becuase it is so versatile. A must have in any collection.

areko79's avatar

Iran Iran

Cool Water by Davidoff

Terrible!!! An exact imitation of the worst Creed's, GIT. Cool Water and GIT dont have any difference to me - both are monotonous and one dimentional. the only advantage of GIT to Cool Water is its oldness. similar to carpet cleaners & shampoo, its foamy for me!. really doesn't have any special thing, utterly not recommended. I regret of buying it.

everyman's avatar

Lonestar Memories by Tauer

My first review ever. How fitting it should be Lonestar Memories. This is one of my favorite fragrances of all time. It' very masculine, brooding and meditative. It never stops revealing itself, no matter how many times I've worn it.
    Like the great America West, it opens my mind and my heart. If I have been wearing a lot of orientals, or spices or complex fragrances, their is nothing like the clear fresh invigorating wind of Lonestar Memories blowing all the cobwebs away. Like sitting out in the desert with a campfire burning and a zillion stars up above. The vast expanse of the West burning it's identity into my conscious awareness. Birchtar and geranium, cedar and sandalwood, sage and jasmine. This is an evocative masterpiece. I will never not have this in my collection.

Amazing for Men by Bill Blass

Wake me up when it's over.

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin by Lolita Lempicka

Too much anise for my tastes. I hear others talk about how it works on them, but I for one can't stomach it. Neutral on this one for that alone.

Ricci Club by Nina Ricci

A particular favorite in my collection. Had been told that this gem was discontinued, but don't think this is, in fact, the case. I see a lot more of it abroad than here in the U.S., though.
    Btw, be sure to take Godzilla's advice and go for the "Haute Concentration" version if at all possible -- YUM!

Durendal's avatar

California for Men by Dana

This cologne is absolutely great. Spicy, warm, mysterious. Since this is a cologne nobody has ever ever (never ever) heard of, I find it to be extremely unique. The sillage is quite moderate and on my skin it lasts about 5-6 hours. Unfortunately, I got this as a gift and have no idea where to get it as I want more. As a side note, before moving to a warmer climate I wasn't too fond of this fragrance.

Durendal's avatar

Nemo by Cacharel

In a few words: get it while you can. In this fragrance Cacharel takes an interesting tact to reach the woody destination it is going for. On the first spray, Nemo feels a little sweet and almost cloying. After the initially olfactory assault (which disappears quite quickly), Nemo comes into its own. I grew up in the great northwest and Nemo smells like home in a bottle. Evergreens and a little sandalwood for spice make this cologne an absolute hit in my book.

sylphidenoir's avatar

Euphoria by Calvin Klein

By the notes in this I should love it. It SHOULD be perfect, but no. This starts out beautifully. Slightly dark floral with a spark of bright fruit. Within five minutes, however, it changed quite suddenly to a bland and powdered musk scent. Very simple and almost single noted. Such a shame.

Lolita Lempicka by Lolita Lempicka

I like Lolita Lempicka and find it easy to wear: light, sweet, lasts about 4 hours on me, & just a touch of aniseed scent wafts up from time to time.

Omnia by Bulgari

This a a great spicy scent. My wearing it lead to a friend buying it and now it is currently her favorite.
    There is that first blast of peppery spice, and it settles in, smooth, tea and a hint of the chocolate.
    I like the way it lingers.

Nina (new) by Nina Ricci

Yes! I now own a bottle of the new Nina, thanks to a friend. It was way better than I expected.
    Anyway, I can tell you what it isn't-- it is NOT the big blast from the 80's past, as the 1987 version was, and you won't smell like caramel corn, rubber, chocolate, or pink cake icing...far from it.
    The New Nina is old fashioned, and a Sharp Lady. She's well-dressed and going out for the evening, but she is more Kate Hepburn than Audrey. She has that snappy comeback.
    The florals here are very soft, as is the vanilla. The New Nina: Ylang Ylang, Bergamot, Jasmine, Some citrus fruit, and nice green notes , also woods, vanilla, and last but not least some incense that seems to wrap around the vanilla and linger.
    Once in a while a nice floral note drifts up out of the incense and vanilla , but I cannot identify it.

jaclec's avatar

Michael for Men by Michael Kors

I am a woman and absolutley LOVE this fragrance! I was at a expo working last week when a man walked by with it on. I went over stood next to him just to smell it more. Soon there were a couple of other women standing by him. He smelled SO good! I told him how great he smelled. His wife smiled. One of the ladies said "I think I am going to follow him around for the rest of the show'.
    Believe me, you might not like it but the female population will!

Dolce Vita by Christian Dior

Dolce indeed. :D Perfect for a beautiful, sunny day, but not during summertime, when is too hot and the air is unbearable. I think springtime is more suitable because this fragrance is reeeeeally sweet. Also, the body lotion is great. It lasts many hours on me.

5th Avenue by Elizabeth Arden

This scent is a quiet, sporty one. I like wearing it during daytime, in weekends especially. It goes very well with casual clothing.

Extravagance D'Amarige by Givenchy

This one smells great! It's fresh and it lasts very looong on my skin. Perfect office scent. I wanted to purchase it, but I was told Givenchy discontinued the line. :(

Vanderbilt by Gloria Vanderbilt

I first tried it when I was 20 and didn't like it... at all! It seemed too heavy. 3 years later I fell in love with it. I read that it is actually oriental, but on me is rather... fresh.