Fragrance Reviews from September 2006

zambilutzza's avatar
    zambilutzza

Omnia by Bulgari

I went mad about it when I first sniffed it. :) And I bought 2 bottles. :D I also got bored very quickly, but there I was and here I am... with 130 ml of Omnia.

zambilutzza's avatar
    zambilutzza

Comme une Evidence by Yves Rocher

God I love this one! But only during springtime... I am usually not into these flowery fragrances, but this one is really special to me. I am not a huge fan of Yves Rocher because the products are not qualitative, at least not those made for Eastern Europe. :(
    Comme une evidence is fresh, feminine, joyful and can be worn during daytime and evening. When I'm wearing it I feel like I really love life.

vampixi's avatar
    vampixi

DKNY Red Delicious by Donna Karan

my fiance just got bought this for me for our anniversary and it is quite pathetic. I'm used to wearing Donna Karen black cashmere so you can imagine that i find this lacking depth. it smells like a watermelon roll-on lipgloss i had when I was 9! it does stay on a long time though if you like smelling like kids cosmetics. Can't beleive i have to wear this now!

Asja by Fendi

Faithful to its name, Asja is all you could expect from a classical old-time oriental, but has a modern, up-bit twist that will make it adored even by those who typically dislike Orientals.

Rested on a sound foundation of all that could make a perfume an oriental - patchouli, musk, amber and clove bud absolute – Asja brings light and sparkle to this theme by using a well-balanced heart of a floral bouquet consisting primarily of carnations, and topped with a mouth-watering fruity accord.

Asja opens with a seductively luscious fruity notes that are sweet without being cloying and fresh without being flat or one-dimensional. The top not is engaging and inviting, and truly states what the perfume really is: a beautiful and rich, yet not overpowering Oriental, that is fruity and floral and not in the least cloying.

The eugenol theme (eugenol is the main constituent of clove buds and carnations) that characterizes this composition through all of its layers is pervasive but does not overpower the blend, and is not medicinal or sharp as you may expect:
    There is something about the overall first impression of the top notes that brings to mind a rich, full-bodied mulled wine...As applied on the skin, a freshly-cut carnation flower emerges, immensely sweet and fresh, thanks to the addition of the round, rich and luscious fruity notes of peach and apricot, and a hint of citrus freshness.

The carnation heart is sweet and floral, and is rounded by exotic, fruity-floral notes of ylang ylang and a rich, subtle rose. It is also backed up by other spices that slowly emerge as the perfume develops on the skin: primarily Allspice Berry – the exotic large peppercorn-like spice, bold and interestingly dry and multi-layered. Allspice smells a lot like a pumpkin pie spice – a combination of cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg.

The eugenol note at the base is dry and sweet at once, like clove-bud absolute, which is much more subtle, refined and feminine than the essential oil. The accord at the base is especially rich and lovely – the orient at its best: patchouli, a hint of dry spices, amber, musk, honey and vanilla, and perhaps even a hint of dry moss.

Asja is a real treat, and an easy-to-wear Oriental. It is sensual, stimulating, soothing and comforting all at once. It’s a perfume you could wear everywhere for any reason (just take care of the doses) – you will enjoy it as well as others around you!
    It somewhat reminds me of the charming and un-demanding Cheap and Chic by Moschino – just like it, Asja is a little flirty and mischievous, and begs for being enjoyed without hesitation or a second thought – just put it on and have fun!

Top notes: Carnation, Apricot, Peach
    Heart notes Carnation, Clove bud oil, Rose, Jasmine, Ylang Ylang, Allspice berry
    Base notes: Patcouli, Amber, Musk, Clove bud Absolute, Honey absolute

Floral-Oriental
    Top Notes: Fruits, citrus
    Heart Notes: Bulgarian rose, Egyptian jasmine, ylang-ylang, cinnamon, nutmeg, mimosa
    Base Notes: Sandalwood, musk, vanilla, amber

L'Instant de Guerlain by Guerlain

I strongly resisted l’Instant when it just came out. It just was so not Guerlain. My first impression of it was of an unwanted (yet pretty) step-sister to the other Guerlain scents. Young and inexperienced rather as opposed to the sophisticated style that the other Guerlain scents radiate. Although l’Instant did not win my heart when I finally took on to wear it for a full day and notice its evolution, I did discover a beautiful magnolia scent – the trademark of its creator, Monsieur Maurice Roucel. L’Instant is a Floral. If anybody tells you otherwise, don’t believe them: this is not a “modern oriental”, in fact, it is not even what I would call floriental.

L’Instant is a scent that revolves around the theme of magnolia: sweet and honey like without being cloying (an element which the citrus-honey note supports); Iris to accentuate the fluffy powderiness; and a benzoin-vanilla base to maintain the sweetness as much as possible.

After application, I instantly recognized something familiar. It took me a while to get it - Tocade! Indeed, the two perfumes do share some striking similarities: both contain magnolia, bergamot, orris and vanilla. Tocade has a lot of roses, and in many aspects this is the main difference between the two. In fact, l’Instant is so similar to Tocade that I am surprised nobody picked up on it before. I will not be surprised if it is a tweaking of the Tocade formula – accentuating the magnolia rather than the rose and being a bit lighter on the powdery notes, with the addition of the new notes – like the crystalline musk and the citrus honey. The two also share in common the clean, crisp synthetic bergamot top note.

As the scent evolved on my skin, I got occasional familiar whiffs of pleasant memories – one originated in a magnolia body milk splash I had about 7 years ago, and the other was almost identical to a festive jar of lemon-scented honey (citrus honey with the addition of lemon flavour). Citrus honey, by the way, is honey which is produced form citrus flowers, and it usually has a much lighter colour and flavour than other types of honey.

Overall, l’Instant is a sheer and cheerful modern floral; Very pleasant and easy to wear even if not at all sophisticated or complex like most Guerlain scents are. I would take this any time over most of the recent Guerlain launches such as the Aqua Allegoria line, myriads of other fruity, floral and ambery-floral modern releases, and definitely won’t hesitate to pick this one over Insolence in an instant!
    The crystalline base adds a somewhat aloof sensuality and sweetness – that is not unlike other modern orientals and florientals (i.e. the base in Addict, Nu, Kingdom and others).

Top notes: Rosewood and lilac notes, Bergamot, Mandarin
    Heart notes: Magnolia, iris, citrus honey with some light lemon and orange blossom notes
    Base notes: Benzoin, Vanilla (I couldn’t quite smell anything like amber).

Opening notes: Magnolia, Rosewood, Bergamot (Like the one in Tocade)

Heart notes: Citrus honey – clear, yellow honey with some lemon and orange blossom notes, Lily of the valley/lilac

Base notes: Benzoin, Vanilla, clear/white amber

Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker

Lovely is everything a celebrity scent wants to be, but more than that: it’s not only popular and fits beautifully with the character of the woman who created it, but also – it is original and oh so chic. It might just be the first interesting celebrity perfume since, say Denevue (by Catherine Deneuve). If I missed something along the way, please let me know.

The first thing that strikes me about Lovely is the unusual use of lavender and patchouli in such a light hearted context. This was no tutti-frutti fragrance as you may expect judging by the hundreds of perfumes (even more so with celebrity and drugstore fragrances) released recently. It had an original, elegantly rough edge to it. Lovely is modern chic, sharp like clean-cut like a tailored suit, yet flowing like a satin gown. It’s prettied-up only by an ornamental fabric rose - and more importantly, the bright smile of the person who wears it. Despite the fact that it does have florals, it is not floral in the traditional sense of the word. You don’t think of flowers when you wear lovely. If anything at all, you think of textures and fabrics such as crepe and linen and dull, brushed silk.

Now, about a year after its release, my patience to hold off a purchase has paid off: a new version has been just released. It’s the same fragrance, only based in an alcohol-free, silicone-based medium, and titled “Lovely Liquid Satin”. And liquid satin it is indeed. This formulation allows for a softer presence without the alcohol that usually interferes with the top notes, and also the bottle is truly lovely – a frosted, light pink hued bottle, or a golden “perfume wand” – a roll on of 30ml that fits into any purse or pocket. I am a big believer in small packaging for perfumes, so I was sold quickly on this one.

The opening of both formulations is a heady and clean, crisp mélange of rosewood, lavender and apple martini. The apple martini note is brilliant. It really adds an unusually vivid, effervescent quality to the opening and thankfully lacks the mustiness that some other apple scents uphold.* It’s boozy only in an elegant way – like sipping on the cocktail to appreciate the flavour, without getting drunk.

The Liquid Satin has a slightly different opening, in which I can detect top notes of lemongrass (which I do not smell in the alcohol based fragrance), which is sharp and grassy, but thankfully fades out rather quickly. The patchouli note is also more pronounced at the opening. I have a feeling that this silicone based version is more true to the original concoction by Ms. Parker. It just has that authentic impression of a perfume enthusiast blending scents together that will bear her own character.

The heart notes are abstract florals – orchids and paper whites. Paper whites are not fancy silken paper sheets as I was almost lead to believe, but rather refer to a flower from the narcissi family - Narcissus tazetta. I can’t say that I smell narcissus in there, but there is a light floral impression that is hard to describe. As I said – abstract.

These soft, ethereal florals bridge into an even more abstract base of highly processed patchouli (dry and clean rather than earthy and musty), amber and musk – together resulting in an effect that is very close to the skin. An original, clean musk skin scent, subtly surrounding the wearer with a mystifying aura that is clean and pleasant. I prefer the Liquid Satin over the alcohol based formulation. Although the scent is essentially the same, this version is softer and even more subtle.

Lovely has been compared often to Narciso Rodriguez, and while I agree that they are very similar, I still think of Lovely as an original fragrance. These are both light musk scents, very modern and abstract, with a suggestive floral heart, and an effervescent, boozy opening. But Lovely has a certain dry, almost rough edge to it that makes it stand apart and prevents it from looking like an imitation of Narciso Rodriguez (which I intend on reviewing very soon).

Celebrities and their scents come and go, but there is something about Lovely that makes me want it to stay. And if it wouldn’t stick around forever, I am certain it would be talked about and missed and longed for much like other old favourites that have disappeared into the abyss of discontinuation.

Top notes: Rosewood, Apple Martini, Lavender, Madarin, Lemongrass
    Heart notes: Paperwhites, Orchid,
    Base: Patchouli, Cedar, White Amber, Musk

benb's avatar
    benb

Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada

I think this one is a real commer. Really interesting in other words. It could have a slightly more chypre base with maybe a hint of beeswax. But a side from that I think it was really good.
    benb

davinalondon's avatar
    davinalondon

The One by Dolce & Gabbana

had a tester of this, but it doesnt really last on me...as above. perhaps for the office...but not "special"

Les Météorites by Guerlain

It is a lovely fragrance, light enough for casual wear. The violet notes are beautiful in this scent. It's feminine, soft and clean. Pretty smell inn lovely bottle

Miss Rocaille by Caron

Caron launched Miss Rocaille in 2004. It was created by house nose Richard Fraysse and includes notes of mandarin, orange blossom, basil, jasmine, rose, lilac, lily of the valley, hyacinth, violet, water lily, musk and pistachio.

The basil does give it a slightly masculine touch at the start, but it soon settles into a feminine floral blend over a trace of nutty pistachio

I had to try this several times, thouth is was a little bit strange. Now this is my summer scent nr 1. It makes me feel fresh and uplifted. Try this!

Insolence by Guerlain

I have been waiting for this, and I was so exited. Now I am very disapointed. This is a love or hate parfum. I can smell quality, but I can not wear this. It's very sweet and it make me feel sick. The lasting power is very good, and after 10 hour I can almost like it. In some way it reminds me of Elisabeth Ardens Red Door, which I really hate.

ineespenes's avatar
    ineespenes

Samsara by Guerlain

When i got a mini collection box ,with some Guerlains, last christmas I was eager to try Samsara.The topnotes in Samsara are rather green and woody to my nose.Nice opening,I thought.This note soon developes to a rather strong jasmine smell with a touch of roses.I really like jasmine and roses,so thought this was promising.However,after about half an hour after applying ,it started to smell really fruity and very strong of Ylang-ylang.This note started to bother me,but I ignored it, only to find out that the scent only got sweeter and sweeter.I don't hate ylang-ylang,not vanilla either,but the combination of these notes was not good on my skin.Unfortunately the scent got sickening sweet.I've tried Samsara later ,to make sure it was just me being silly that day.But no,unfortunately I can't wear this scent, even though I do like the notes listed. Seems that sweet scents has a tendency to get REALLY sweet on my skin, espesially with the combination of tonka bean, vanilla and ylang-ylang.

pandabear25's avatar
    pandabear25

Madness by Chopard

I agree that this is an unusual scent. It's very frity to me and very spicy. I still like it very much and like the square red bottle and the top of the bottle is interesting with the sticky note labeled for you not to remove it. I've been layering this with Casmir to tone down the strong spiciness of it and it works out beautifully!

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

Well, HR was a big let down... I expected something really oriental and all I smelt was a citrusy and sour talcum powder. Maybe It's my nose, but I can't find any sweetness. Very old fashioned, I think It's time to discontinue it.

Pasha by Cartier

If I hadn't seen Pasha was created in 1992, I'd swear It was an 80's fragrance! It's a very good green/spicy scent, rich without being nauseating, exudes wealthy! RL Polo's fans will definetely like it! It shares the same thick woody and green smell of Polo and Tsar.
    It's formal and great for night appointments. A big Thumbs Up!

Rochas Man by Rochas

What a nice creation from Rochas fashion house! A well balanced gourmand, never cloying, mixes perfectly the vanilla, chocolate and coffee notes in a cosy and warm scent. It's versatile and sexy without being a "powerhouse".

Santos by Cartier

This is the elegant's man fragrance! A classic indeed. Rich and "in your face" as the good 80's scents, this formal fragrance makes me feel like a millionaire! The combination of juniper, patchouli and Sandalwood produces a powerful minty woody smell, cold and luxurious. A man wearing Santos will always be perceived as a Gentleman.

Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme by Van Cleef & Arpels

Wow! Pretty similar to Trussardi uomo (the only difference I notice is that TU becames powdery as It dries down), It's a great formal spicy and rich fragrance. Potent: requires caution not to overapply.

jimmyfresno's avatar
    jimmyfresno

Bandit by Robert Piguet

Man, I crave this fragrance, but only in the vintage form EDT, where the Isobutyl Quinoline was used so generously to "give the finger" to those who would raise their eyebrows. I think this is the perfect amount of sillage, smells like a guy should. I bought a big 8 ounce vintage bottle so I have a vintage bottle 1 oz on Ebay till thursday: just search under item 190035616703 or search "Vintage Bandit."

Caltha's avatar
    Caltha
    Sweden Sweden

Chypre Rouge by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Definitely a chypre: dry and slightly bitterly spicy, like lichen. But a red chypre, yes, with a caramellized note and strong citrus. I find it intriguing. Unfortionately it fades quickly to a faint citrusy sour, chypre dry scent that is vaguely plasticky, or Œerhaps it's just the kind of scent you can't feel after a little while.

Kotori's avatar
    Kotori

Blu Mediterraneo Capri Orange / Arancia Di Capri by Acqua di Parma

Oh, this is great! I love the orange smell. It's the brightest orange scent on the market right now. I have tried Orange Magnifica (Guerlain), Mandarin Tout Simplement (L'Artisan), Sanguine (Keiko Mecheri), and several other more bland citruses. This is the most true to an orange that I've found. The L'Artisan is equally good, but not nearly as long-lasting. My only displeasure about Arancia is the bottle. It doesn't look nice on a dresser.

White Diamonds by Elizabeth Taylor

Nice aldehydes in the opening notes -- very fresh, very vibrant. Dries down to a heckuva lot of jasmine and talc, IMHO. Still, very, very pleasant scent for the price. This is one you'll either love or hate. (I happen to love it on my mum and one of my sisters.)

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Guess this soporific of a scent goes to show ya just why many in the American public oughtn't vote, reproduce, or carry firearms. That THIS less-than-mediocre scent -- of all scents -- should be "number one" is not terribly different from the idiocy of Dubya being President.

Eau de Cologne Impériale by Guerlain

Why BOTHER? You can get the same thing by Muelhens (or any number of companies) for far less. Furthermore, this stuff -- while pleasant and inoffensive enough -- has no stamina whatsoever. A waste of money. Nice enough scent, yes, in that middle-of-the-road, old fashioned, unisex toilet water kinda way, but it has no staying power and no "oomph." Nice bottle, though.

Envy for Men by Gucci

Very strong, very sexy fragrance -- a personal favorite, probably among my top 10. NOT a warm weather, scent, though, so bear that in mind. I really like the peppery notes -- without them, Envy for Men would come across as too sweet.
    A true classic, albeit one that some don't care for. Most, however, love it as much as I do. Someone compared it to Floris' Santal, but I don't get the connection much, if at all. (I love Santal, too, though.)

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

Don't get me wrong -- I don't oppose mass produced fragrances on principle. Nevertheless, this schlock is quintessential mass produced, mass marketed crapola. It's watery and bland and overly sweet -- the beginning, IMHO, of the whole "aquatic, androgynous, utterly boring" trend that we've been seeing on and off for almost two decades now. SNORE.

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

Warm and spicy and VERY cozy all around. I find that women and men alike love this one on me, and it has superb lasting power. It has its detractors, true, but it -- understandably -- has far many more devoted fans. I hope they never discontinue this modern classic.

Hai Karate by Leeming

All that is vile and hellish in the world, but captured in a bottle and sealed with a lid (to help keep the toxic fumes from stripping nearby pieces of furniture and killing small, furry creatures in the vicinity).

Passion for Men by Elizabeth Taylor

I happen to like this one very much -- it gives me a lot of bang for my buck, and dries down to a woody, powdery, yummy base. Is it Creed? No. Lutens? Definitely not. But for the price spent, I don't think you can beat it. Along with Dior's Fahrenheit, Revlon's That Man, and a few other fragrances that can be had under $30.00, Passion for Men is a perennial inexpensive favorite for me. Oh, AND I can wear it year-round.

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Sex in a bottle -- period. Tom Ford got this retro-inspired beauty right on the money.
    If, however, you are not a fan of patchouli and/or cedar, then avoid this one like the bubonic plague. I myself love it, but can understand why enemies of patchouli and cedar would despise it to the ends of the earth.