Fragrance Reviews from September 2006

tvlampboy's avatar

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Sex in a bottle -- period. Tom Ford got this retro-inspired beauty right on the money.
    If, however, you are not a fan of patchouli and/or cedar, then avoid this one like the bubonic plague. I myself love it, but can understand why enemies of patchouli and cedar would despise it to the ends of the earth.

tvlampboy's avatar

Chypre Rouge by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Ick -- how sad an "accomplishment" for Lutens & Shiseido alike. Someone earlier described it as smelling like "Kool Aid." That was an incorrect -- or at least incomplete -- assessment. Make that instead, "Kool Aid mixed with flophouse sweat and brewed for three days in the blistering sun."
    This was, hands down, one of the worst olfactory experiences of my life. I rank it right up there with Hai Karate, A-men and Brut in terms of its ability to burn nasal passages and start small diesel engines.

TaoLady's avatar

Floret by Antonia's Flowers

I echo Tovah! Started out real sweet-pea-ish and ended up a pleasant apricot kind of powdery musk. Like a stroll through a flower garden tended by a gifted horticulturist. Good staying power for a floral, too.

Solstice's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

This scent is uninspired, mediocre and just plain messy. It is all over the place in terms of what it wants to become and in the end, fails far short of either sophisticated, sporty, fresh or sexy. I guess that's what happens when you become a mass marketer and try to appeal to the lowest common denominators and hope that the luxe Hermes brand name and marketing ploys will compensate for an utterly banal product. I tried wearing it at least three times and all three times, thought that it was dull without any distinction in terms of composition, projection, and aura. This latest release from Hermes is not good, in fact, not good at all.

Solstice's avatar

Cannabis Santal by Fresh

I recently bought this at Sephora thinkin, "hmmmmm... interesting". I've worn it twice now and have to say, I really can't stand just how acrid, sharp, pungent and unpleasant the scent is. There is nothing subtle, refined or even remotely wearable about this scent. It's big marketing ploy is that it has some sort of essence of marijuana, but marketing does not carry the day if the product is just plain lousy. I suppose the one good thing you can say about this is that it is unqiue and that it does seem to be composed of quality ingredients (never going to mistake it for a drugsgtore scent) but that makes it all the more tragic because the creator of this scent is wasting a lot of good stuff to make a very bad product. A total waste of money all around.

Cumbriadave's avatar

England England

Paul Smith London for Men by Paul Smith

To me this smells confident and upfront! It lasts forever (on me, anyway). I love the violet and booze mix...more Jack Daniels than Brandy in my opinion. Beats previous PS fragrances by a country mile.

Muguet des Bois by Coty

A little is enough, and a little bottle of Muguet de Bois is magical. It is the Lily -of- the Valley. Pure and simple. I wore it first in High School, then revisited it a few years ago . I wonder who bought it back in 1942 ? All kinds of women, no doubt. It would great to have a time machine just to visit the perfume counter of one Department store back then.

Tabu by Dana

Tabu is from another time and place. It has been around long enough to gain an unfair reputation. If it was put into a well-designed expensive bottle and re-named, a lot of trendy people would be snapping it up. Tabu is rebellious, strongwilled, and wild. With anything like that, a tiny bit goes a long way.

Miss Dior Chérie (original) by Christian Dior

It is Chic, not Toothache sweet. I have field-tested this one because I kept waffling on it, (Is it OK for me to put something young & sweet in my top ten when I am more the woodsy oriental type? That was the question) But I love it, & others love it on me. Absolutely at its best in the summertime. The sweet note that is supposedly 'strawberry' seems to drift off the skin like something in nature, not like a strawberry sorbet at all, but some sweet plant in a sunny meadow. It settles down nicely. I didn't get the grapefruit in this one at all.

dalailama's avatar

Greece Greece

Ungaro III by Ungaro

Just a chef d oeuvres. A completely outsanding perfume , a poem of heart and soul.
    A must have.

Chloé Narcisse by Chloé

sweet, powdery, warm and slightly spicy -makes me think of a 50s hollywood dressing room. I adore this and always come back to it

Yria by Yves Rocher

my gran bought me this and i never wear it. to me it smells really dry, lemony and alcoholic- reminds of CIF cleaning fluid!

Boss Intense by Hugo Boss

this is NOT sickly at all! admittantly it is quite heady and rich but dries down to a lovely spicy amber musk and i always get compliments from wearing this one. Dads always hate their daughters perfume anyway poolepirate...

Coconut's avatar

Hong Kong Hong Kong

Folavril by Annick Goutal

Folavril is French for "April Fool", It is my first fragrance from the Annick Goutal's range. It is light happy soapy fragrance that can be worn to work and during weekends on a summer day. Here are the notes from the Annick Goutal site. It is a composition of mango,jasmine, Boronia flower, and spicy tomato leaf. Folavril reminds me the naughtiness in myself.

zohakama's avatar

Viva di Tosca by Tosca

im in canada and i would like to buy this perfume but i cant find in this country so in internet were i can find it pleaaaaaaaaaase !!!!!!!!!!

's avatar

Mare by Beth Terry Creative Universe

Something about this just screams fresh cut green apples, sitting next to the beach with a drink in hand, letting the breeze slowly caress your skin. Ah...relaxation.

Douce Amère by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I agree that Douce Amere is a relative of Lolita Lempicka, which I own. However, I found it very sharp on the drydown, with a little too much aldehyde. Though I found this quite interesting and very classy, I prefer the softer Lolita.

Gris Clair by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This is the perfect scent for a cool, misty day hiking in the Alps. More melancholy and austere than L'Heure Bleue, sharper and fresher than many lavender-based scents, this is a poem, this is Goethe in a bottle.

Miel de Bois by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This is the most aggressive honey scent I've ever smelled. My entire family went, "Ack!" I think this would be the right perfume for the 3 Bears, but not for me. I love many SL scents and I applaud his courage, but this one crossed the line for me.

Osmanthus by Keiko Mecheri

I have to say at the outset that I dislike floral fragrances but this is one that I really like. It is a fresh white, yet creamy floral, not exactly osmanthus, yet charming and subtle. Longevity is average, about 2 hours on me. I find it cheerful and quite a bit more attractive than many "white florals" on the market. Very natural smelling as well, not at all synthetic.

Silk / Peau de Soie by Ava Luxe

I love Feminite du Bois yet I actually like Silk a bit better. FdB has a little "pencil shavings" in the opening few minutes, Silk does not. Silk is also a bit spicier, a little less fruity. Very lovely and perfect for an Alpine winter in front of a fire!

Opoponax by Ava Luxe

I love opoponax but this is the first fragrance featuring opoponax that I have purchased. It is just lovely, a gorgeous comfort scent. Rich yet subtle, just a little spicy.

flathorn's avatar

Tubéreuse Criminelle by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I love this one, but it's out-of-character for me - a huge, rich femme fatale tuberose, earthy and sultry. I hate BWF's (those big voluptuous florals give me a headeache), so why not this one? For me it's because this floral lives in the earth and doesn't try to breath air. I still don't care for the menthol/rubber opening, though it does set your nose to accept what's coming. I was so relieved when that heavy black note dissipated, I eagerly, almost greedily, devoured the comparative sweetness of the tuberose. Before I realized it, I was mesmerized by the heavy, indolent earthiness of this unapologetic mud flower.
    I tried Chanel Gardenia next to it - no contest. Fracas - nope. SL's Datura Noir - no. The Frederic Malle tuberose, and several others with formidable reputations. They were all debutantes playing at being femme fatales next to this true lady of the night.
    An interesting note: I was playing with my essential oils, and accidentally put together a rubbery 3-note accord similar to the opening of TC, which involved oakmoss, hyssop, and ylang-ylang.

gosta_berling's avatar

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

Wow!!
    This one smells exactly like lipstick
    (and my dear mother). An interesting scent for the modern shemale.

ineespenes's avatar

Norway Norway

Pure Poison by Christian Dior

I actually asked my mom to buy either Hypnotic Poison or Poison for me at a trip.They didn't have any at that dutyfree shop,so she bought this instead.I find it nice and fresh,but with a little attitude too.The first time I tried it I didn't really like it that much.Very...unoriginal.Lately I'm getting more and more used to it,though.Sometimes it reminds me of CK One with the strong jasmine smell.In the drydown there's a soft,slightly sweet note.I'm guessing musk.It's ok,but it doesn't last on my skin.That is actually what put me off by it the first time I tried it.I simply can't smell it after a while.And that's the edp....So all in all an ok scent,but not among my favourits.I use it to work or in the summer mostly.

mentallo's avatar

Slate by Banana Republic

Sharp and fresh. Could induce a headache in some people. Didn't really care much for this one.

mentallo's avatar

Black Walnut by Banana Republic

Deep and rich scent. Great for winter.
    While not really original it is a nice bold scent. It fades pretty quikly though.

Gardénia Passion by Annick Goutal

Yes, as Helg states below, this is a tuberose scent. I think it's rather fresh compared to Fracas (but I have Fracas edp and Gardenia Passion edt, so maybe that's why). There's a note in GP that smells like mildew to me. I don't know if that's the tuberose or something else. I keep a small bottle of it around for old time's sake, I used to wear it a lot. Not so much anymore. I like it, though. It's pleasant stuff.

First by Van Cleef & Arpels

I agree, First does smell expensive - it's obviously a very "nice" fragrance and there's nothing there to dislike - but it always bored me. I had the edt and lotion, maybe it's better in parfum. No offense to anyone who loves it, and thank goodness we don't all love the same fragrances. I love many that are this type of classic fragrance, but First doesn't excite me.

White Musk by Body Shop

A friend of mine wears this exclusively. It's so fresh and clean on her, and also smells a little like freesia blossom. I've never worn it myself cause I wouldn't want to start wearing "her" fragrance, but I think it's a charming scent. It's decidedly girly, imo. I can't quite see a man wearing it but whatever floats yer boat. ;-)