Fragrance Reviews from September 2006

Oscar for Men by Oscar de la Renta

Lemony, bright, all around pleasant. But can't imagine I'd buy it again -- would far rather get Green Irish Tweed, Ricci Club, Eau d'Orange Verte, or Eau Sauvage Extreme. (More money in all four cases, but worth it.) If budget's an issue, though, this is a nice once.

Btw, I can't detect any similarity between this one and the Pour Lui original. (But each to his/her own judgment.)

Pure Vetiver by Azzaro

I don't find this one "cheap" smelling at all. In doesn't compare with Guerlain's Vetiver, no, but it's pretty nice for the price. (I found mine at TJ Maxx for around $15.00 or so.) Ended giving this up to a friend, true, but don't regret the purchase itself.

Red for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills

I call this stinker "Midnight in El Paso." It positively REEKS, and cannot for the life of me understand why anyone in his or her right mind would pay an exorbitant price for it now that it's discontinued. Heck, I couldn't understand paying ANYTHING for this rot when it was new.

Sandalwood by Caswell-Massey

Lovely stuff -- great for men or women. Very reasonable, too -- unlike its overrated Crabtree & Evelyn cousin.

Wings for Men by Wings

Think I'll just take a nap while y'all discuss this sleeping pill of a mass produced cologne. (Pardon me if I snore.)

Montana pour Homme by Montana

WAY too much bergamot -- smells like my grandma's Earl Grey tea fell into a vat of iris and patchouli.

That said, this one's not really awful, but it's not even a pale reflection of the original (and stupidly discontinued!) Parfum d'Homme.

WHY, CLAUDE, WHY?

Persian Leather by Caswell-Massey

I agree with MisterK -- Zino is SO much better than this mixture of sweat and saddle leather. This one reminds me of a Knize Ten, but sans the pleasantness. Very animalic, very dirty smelling stuff - kinda like a Mitsouko for men, only with more flophouse sweat. Give me Zino any day of the week. (Funny, too, as I'm normally a huge fan of almost anything Caswell-Massey.)

Newport (new) by Caswell-Massey

They should have left well enough alone. The old Newport was really nice, albeit a bit pine-y for my tastes. This stuff smells like Erolfa might had it been thrown together in a trailer park in Akron.

Crave by Calvin Klein

Very synthetic, very boring, very "mod" (and I don't mean in a good way). Don't waste your hard-earned money.

How in the world a company that could have produced "Calvin" and "Obsession" could have dreamt up this schlock is more than I'll ever know.

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Oh, thank you, thank you, THANK YOU, Mr. Tom Ford! This one comes across as a love child created by merging Gucci Pour Homme with Azzaro Pour Homme, and then throwing in some Guerlain Vetiver for good measure. A perfectly blended scent, and one with great lasting power, to boot. Can't wait to try the Intense version.

THUMBS WAY UP!!!

Les Nuits d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal

Third best citrus around, just after Ricci Club and Eau Sauvage Extreme. For the price, though, I'll take Ricci Club. Oh, and avoid Mandragore if you like citruses. Betwixt the two, I'll take Eau d'Hadrien ANY day of the week.

's avatar

Eau de Cologne Impériale by Guerlain

This fragrance was, in fact, (according to the official Guerlain website): "Inspired by the beauty and elegance of Empress Eugénie, the master perfumer Pierre-François-Pascal Guerlain composed Eau Impériale in her honour.
    The glass flacon, engraved with a motif of bees recalling the coat of arms of the imperial family, was a homage indeed.
    Delighted by the refined Eau de Cologne, the Empress ordered that Guerlain be awarded the title of "Appointed Supplier of Her Majesty", which was at the time the highest imperial warrant."
    Being an Eau de Cologne, it is not surprising that it disappears completely after about half an hour. The top and middle notes very quickly give way to the base, woody notes.

Royall Spice by Royall Lyme of Bermuda

One of the most refreshing summer, Caribbean, fragrances ever made. Unlike any other lime.

Vetiver by Guerlain

The American Heritage® Dictionary definition of "silage" is: "Fodder prepared by storing and fermenting green forage plants in a silo." Too much of this note for me in this edgy version, having a sharp or biting quality. Carven Vetiver is smoother and lighter, Royall Lyme's Royall Vetiver is far nicer and more rounded, albeit not as multi-dimensional. Can't see this as a summer fragrance, IMO -- it's too hot. I do wear it in winter, however.

Royall Vetiver by Royall Lyme of Bermuda

Perhaps the finest of the few Vetiver fragrances around. balanced, elegant, light. can be worn in day or evening year-round.

gup1138's avatar
    gup1138

Abercrombie & Fitch Woods by Abercrombie & Fitch

I used this scent from 1993 to 2006 - until A&F discontinued it! Argh. Let's all email them to ask for it back. It was perfect for me, and everyone loved it on me. I tried Aramis and Michael Kors as main blurb states - no way! Not even close! Aramis could knock a house over. Curious to try Trussardi Uomo, as someone else mentions - but I did go to a half-dozen perfume specialty stores in Boston, trying out everyone's NOSE - with my bottle of almost-empty Woods in tow! Many misses - the closest I found were two by Kenneth Cole - close, but not quite right - Cole Signature and Cole Black.

scardinaclan's avatar
    scardinaclan

Mila Schön Homme by Mila Schön

I found this in Italy a couple of years back. A very clean and refined fragrance. Not really like anything else out there. I haven't run into it here in the U.S. since. I bought the female version for my wife ... WOW!

Chanel Pour Monsieur by Chanel

the concentree' is NOT the original fragrance, which you can still get everywhere in europe, the caribbean, and virtually all duty-free shops in the world. (The concentree is not concentrated, either, but a different, reformulated fragrance.)

Why not just concentrate it, like Eau Sauvage Extreme, etc. -- we all agree we'd like it to last longer - and charge more money?

The people at Chanel boutiques, etc., claim ignorance of the difference, but this is disingenuous if not dishonest.

29 September, 2006 (Last Edited: 14 October, 2012)

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

While it may be seriously ubiquitous (depending on the region you are in), I still enjoy this scent a lot. It is somewhere between oriental and gourmand, with a quite pleasing minty freshness to it, which may feel synthetic to some, but I am not sensitive to that. Very delicious if you like sweet scents, and a longevity/sillage that is amazing, so you get a lot for your money.

One Alternative should be mentioned: Javari by The Body Shop. It's quite similar, but cheaper and has a good dash of pepper, which may be good for those of you who find this here not manly enough. And it is also said to last as long. If I ever finish my bottle of Le Male, I'd probably get this.

Opium pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

First off, I can see why some would think that this is too sweet/heady/strong. This IS a very powerful, opulent offering by YSL.

I wasn't sure myself in the beginning, I didn't think I could pull it off. Instead I was thinking about getting the Eau d'Orient version, which has less of the sweet base and more citrus (lighter all in all), but because of the approaching colder seasons I went with the original edt. And I don't regret it. This is a truly mouthwatering oriental because of its rather daring, fruity top and middle. It lasts very long, and progresses to a rich oriental base. Truly addicitive.

For those that would like to have more emphasis on the darker aspects, I would recommend checking the edp version.

P.S.: Don't overspray!

Revelation by Pierre Cardin

This starts a bit like Yves Saint Laurent "Opium pour Homme", with an additional, relatively pronounced mint, overall a little bit brighter. Along with the rather low price this could have been an interesting alternative - if it had any reasonable longevity on me.

JaimeB's avatar
    JaimeB

Deauville pour Homme by Michel Germain

I like this one much better than Sexual pour Homme. It's definitely fresher and has a clearly fougère cast to it. The list of notes make it sound a little better than it is, but for the price, it's not a bad buy. I think it's fine for the office or a casual evening out. For what it's worth, most women seem to like it.

MY_2_Scents's avatar
    MY_2_Scents

Trimaran by Yves Rocher

I like it...citrusy,lemony with a great dry down.

plumeria's avatar
    plumeria

Fracas by Robert Piguet

Ultrafeminine, pure, white floral, a little spicy. Not spicy in the way that for example, cinnamon is spicy, but a natural floral spicyness. When overdone or if it's not agreeing with you that day, it can be thick, choking and headache inducing. But when conditions are right, it dries down to something so utterly beautiful and gentle. It doesn't smell like rose, but it gives me the feeling of being caressed by smooth, cool, pale pink rose petals.

Quarry's avatar
    Quarry

Cuir Beluga by Guerlain

MANY MONTHS AFTER FIRST REVIEW:
    Oh. I'm getting it now. Yes, it's subtle. And because it's structured around a "simple, raw material" it smells more like just the heart or base notes of a fragrance. And that's fine, because often one prefers just one phase of a perfume. Pretty and comfortable, a whispering vanilla.

OLD REVIEW:
    Nope. Un-uh. Negativo.

If you like, you can say I have pedestrian tastes and limited olfactory powers. Fine.

Leather is one of my favorite notes, and I'll continue to get my fix from Jicky, Dzing!, VIP Room, Cabochard, and Miss Balmain. By comparison, CB was cafeteria white bread.

30th September, 2006 (Last Edited: 13 October, 2009)

rach2jlc's avatar
    rach2jlc

Monsieur Balmain (new) by Pierre Balmain

Very interesting fragrance, wonderful for summer. Reminiscent of the original YSL homme, but triple the lemon note. As it dries, the initial burst of lemon fades somewhat to become more spicy.

rach2jlc's avatar
    rach2jlc

Bogart pour Homme by Jacques Bogart

Somewhat mediocre. It could have been much better, but it is just a little off in each direction it seems to pursue; a little too sweet and could use a little more spice and bite. Reminds me a lot of Cristobal by Balenciaga.

Eau des Îles by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

I was quite surprised and a bit disappointed when I first tried this. I was expecting more of a gourmand coffee scent like New Haarlem. Instead, I quickly realized that this is a very dry coffee scent without much (if any) sweetness at all. The topnotes smell like freshly ground coffee beans and smoke. There is definitely no sugar or cream in this coffee scent. It later evolves to spices and woody notes while still hanging on to some of the coffee accord, though the coffee now remains in the background. It's a decent scent, but I think it would have been much better if some vanilla or tonka was incorporated into the scent. I was looking for a superior coffee scent to New Haarlem, but it turns out that New Haarlem is still the king for me.

Santal Noble by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Probably my favorite sandalwood fragrance thus far, although I haven't tried them all. While I find Tam Dao "damp" and "wet", Santal Noble is more dry and powdery. I would almost consider it a gourmand for it has something in it that reminds me of raw floury bread dough. I find it a bit similar to L'artisan Bois Farine but it doesn't have the peanut butter accord and it's not nearly as sweet.

Gomma by Etro

As others have mentioned, Gomma is quite similar to Knize Ten. In fact, to me this is a dead ringer for Knize Ten! There are a few differences although not much IMO. Gomma skips the citrus topnotes of Knize Ten and immediately introduces its leather/tobacco accord rather quickly. For this reason, Gomma is not as complex and a bit more linear. It's also much lighter with inferior sillage and longevity than Knize Ten. Gomma is a really nice scent, but I like my frags potent so I'll stick with Knize Ten since it's basically an EDP version of Gomma.