Fragrance Reviews from September 2006

Musk by Lorenzo Villoresi

At last! A Villoresi scent that I actually like. And I like this one a lot! I really don't consider it a true musk scent since the scent doesn't evolve around that one note at all. I consider this more of a floral oriental scent with a powdery drydown. To me, it's a borderline feminine scent in the same vein as SL Datura Noir but it's so good that I can't resist it. I have a hard time pinning down the notes since it's masterfully blended. It's just one of those scents that smell great. I must have a bottle of this wonderful juice now!

Nostalgia by Santa Maria Novella

All the rumors are true. The topnotes do in fact smell like a mechanic's garage. It starts off smelling like motor oil; the dirty kind you smell when you do an oil change. Although I initially thought it was a one trick pony, it did evolve to something more wearable. After the first five minutes, the topnotes completely disappear and what you're left with is a pleasant synthetic leather scent. It's not classic leather/suede such as Dzing, Knize Ten, or Cuiron. Instead it's like a leather couch that's been treated with many chemicals to give it that "new leather smell". I truly believe that anybody can wear this out in public. It's not offensive at all IMO and more of a skin scent. While I really like Nostalgia after the top notes burn off, it becomes too light and fails in the sillage/longevity department. If the middle and base notes were stronger, I would definitely buy a bottle.

Piper Nigrum by Lorenzo Villoresi

I agree with the previous reviews that this scent is hardly about pepper at all. It starts off smelling like sharp menthol, similar to Vicks vapor rub. Then it quickly evolves into an herbal accord right before it becomes hardly detectable on my skin. There's also something in the basenotes that smells like powdery rubber to me. It reminds me of the rubbery smell of bicycle tires (Not the outer tire shell itself, but the rubber tubing that goes inside of it).

Black Aoud by Montale

I was quite disappointed when trying this one. I was expecting something to blow my socks off, but instead I was left there with a neutral impression. I don't understand how this scent can be "Black" by any means. It's rather clean and bright. There was something striking familiar to me when I first tested it. Ah, yes! Now I remember. This smells like a darker version of C&S No 88. It has the same citrus/bergamot opening blended with a rose note. The only difference is that this has oud, which contributes to making it smell more like cleaning solvent IMO. Sure, I can see how some people would like this. But to me it quickly conjures up memories of cleaning the kitchen floor tiles with Pine Sol. No offense to fans of Black Aoud, but I personally wouldn't buy this even if it were 3x cheaper.

LiveJazz's avatar
    LiveJazz

Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur

AlthaeaSoaps said it smelled of burning brake pads. I was trying to think of what the top smelled like, and that's actually a very close comparison. It fades to, as others have said, more of a circus smell. Like cotton candy/animal stall/generator engines. When it dries, it's a bit more grounded and "normal"...more of a subtle sweet/spicy leather. I like it because of it's unique imagry, but I don't think i'd wear it regularly.

zztopp's avatar
    zztopp

Daim Blond by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Inspired by suede so fine, so soft, so barely perceptible to the touch, like skin on skin, an aura and sensation that intertwine to become one and the same. - Serge Lutens promo for Daim Blond

So barely perceptible to the nose. To become one and the same. Serge Lutens has succeeded on all accounts.

Daim Blond has a funky name ("Damn, Blonde!"). It smells a bit funky too. Opening with a blast of uber sweet ripe apricots with the slightest hint of leather, I felt I was smacked in the face with a sock full of rotting melted candies. The apricot dominates all the notes - theres the slightest hint of leather (which sadly dies as the scent progresses), iris and hawthorn, but its hard to make out the notes because of the strong apricot note. This is strong sweet stuff, and if worn during intense summers, can make you thirsty. Longevity is poor too.

As a leather fragrance, Daim Blond fails miserably. You can barely smell any leather here. If you want a buttery leather, look no further than the majest Royal English Leather by Creed. As a general fragrance, it is mildly interesting (if you like super sweet fragrances, that is). However, as part of the more expensive and exlusive serge lutens line, I really cant recommend this. Its too simplistic with no evolution, doesnt achieve what it aspires too, and Daim Expensive.

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

Very compforting scent to wear and lasts all day. I don´t think it is too feminine for a man to wear, although on the other hand it smells fantastic on my GF as well.
    The consistancy of the notes is superb, Black smells much the same from initial drydown till the very end (many 7-8 hours). Testers are available for next to nothing on ebay right now, highly recommended!

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin by Lolita Lempicka

The entry is pretty much anisee and very strong for a minute or two. If anise/liorice is a huge turn-off for you, then Au Masculin is surely not your fragrance.
    Once you make it through stage 1 though, the anise settles down quite a bit and blends nicely into a wonderful fresh, yet at the same time gourmand scent.
    Very unique scent, currently my favorite tied with Rochas Man.

Magnetism for Men by Escada

Bought this on ebay as a blind buy, after reading the reviews on basenotes. Personally I don´t feel this scent is balanced at all, plus the top and middle notes contain something that is pretty appalling to me. Kept it on for ca. 2 hours, hoping I would come do like it, which I didn´t. Ended up giving it to a co-worker who is actually quite found of it. Although it does smell somewhat different on him, I still hate the stuff.

Sirène by Vicky Tiel

WOW -- love this scent! Along with "Ysatis" and "Fleurissimo", I can think of fewer other women's scents that get my attention as much as Tiel's "Sirène." A lovely, lovely fragrance. And, as takemyhusbandplz pointed out, it's VERY long lasting. (In short, one need not spend the money on eau de parfum or perfume, as the EDT is quite enough.)

Escada Homme by Escada

Lasts a long, long time on me. Very, very nice scent for the money - may even be considered a classic someday.

I Coloniali Aromatic Fragrance of Guajaco Wood by Atkinsons

A tad linear at times, but all in all it's an impressive and potent fragrance. Apply with care, as it can be a bit much, particularly in warmer climes.

Ulysse by Vicky Tiel

Was so crazy for "Sirène" that I was just SURE I'd fall in love with "Ulysse." Well, guess what? It's not a stinker, but it's sure no prize, either. I'm giving the scent a "neutral", but the (wonderful, frosted, frieze-decorated) bottle a "thumbs up."

Voyageur by Jean Patou

Run-of-the-mill, indeed. Yet another churned out "aquatic" frag meant to impress the under 30 crowd who wouldn't know Bal a Versailles from the Treaty of Versailles.

Please let me know when we get to Aruba so this voyage can be over.

I Coloniali Aromatic Fragrance of Javanese Cananga by Atkinsons

Wow -- this is some POWERFUL stuff. Apply lightly, and be prepared to swept away. The guajaco wood for men is also superb -- and equally potent.

Eau Parfumée au Thé Rouge by Bulgari

Really, really good stuff. Scenteur7 described it as having a "nutty" finish -- very accurate, that.

Wonderul unisex scent -- esp. nice in "sweater weather" months. The tea notes are definite without being overpowering (as can, IMHO, sometimes be the case in the Thé Verte and au Thé Verte Extreme versions).

BlackAmberMoon's avatar
    BlackAmberMoon

Spiced Green Tea by Elizabeth Arden

I'm wearing this today, and enjoying it, but I have to be in a certain mood to wear it. I tend to reach for it when I'm relaxing at home alone, or before I practice yoga. I find it a calming scent. Despite the fact that it's spicy, it still retains a sheer, refreshing quality. I don't think of this as gourmand at all as it's not heady or sweet. This could be worn year round, and it's subtle enough to be appropriate for the office. This is a fragrance for casual activites when you don't want your perfume to overwhelm. I do prefer this over the original Green Tea; it has more character and smells more complex. However, I still think Bvlgari makes the best tea fragrances overall.

gkinsky's avatar
    gkinsky

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

JPG's Le Male is a soft, sweet & spicy fragrance that opens with a myriad of notes that evokes a somewhat casual youthfulness. It amazing, but if the color of blue of the bottle actually had a "smell", I think it would smell exactly like Le Male. I can see how others would find some scents in the drydown resembling some chemical tang, but for me it's a gorgeous scent with an amazing staying power. This is truly one of my signature scents that receives constant compliments, even after all these years on the market.

Fiorello's avatar
    Fiorello

H.M. by Hanae Mori

Hanae Mori had so much potential for me but that damn vanilla went and spoiled the party. If you don't mind sweet but dislike vanilla, I would avoid it. One scent that comes to mind is Lalique Pour Homme.

CuyahogaJoe's avatar
    CuyahogaJoe

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

After reading all of the glorious praise in various threads, I anxiously awaited my precious parcel. Finally it had arrived. Like a little boy on Christmas morning, the package was disemboweled. Oh my God, just the site of it made me grin from ear to ear. I trembled...Be careful, remove the cap with the hands of a Saint as not to spill a drop of this rare Liqueur. FINALLY, I am going to smell the absolute nectar of the gods...the tears of Aphrodite herself. What do I do? How do I put it on?..Where? A little on my wrists, that will do it...and then the moment of moments, the one I'll remember like my wedding, my first born son, my Grandparents Golden anniversary...all wrapped up into one ceremonious moment..."The Moment of TRUTH"

What the hell? There MUST be some mistake...NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! I got robbed, that dirty S.O.B. refilled the bottle with....Coolwater???? I accidentally bought that stuff years ago and tossed it in the trash a few days later. Oh No, it can't be true, but alas, it is true. The sharp, piercing opening notes remind my of toilet bowl cleaner, after 10 minutes a musty background emerges with a now stale cut lawn finally overtaking the bathroom cleaner. later the clumps of overgrown cut grass are rained upon, left to bake in the sun and then raked over the white mold and bacterial digestive secretions which finish this dime store paperback romance novel...aren't they all alike?

Very disappointing to say the least. The one positive thing I can say though is, it is multi-dimensional.

Grabazzi by Gendarme

I like this the best of the Gendarme line. It's subtle, but longlasting, which is perfect for wearing to the office. But, I still don't love the scent. I'm not sure why I would pay a lot to smell like grass stains and laundry detergent.

Ultraviolet Man by Paco Rabanne

Pure poison. It smells like sugar mixed with your grandmother's shampoo. Doesn't evolve at all.

Silver Shadow by Davidoff

I really like how this smells right out of the bottle-a little sweet, a little floral, and a little like burnt vanilla. But, that fades quickly. The middle is too floral for my taste. The dry down is nice, more of that burnt vanilla, but it also loses a lot of its potency by that point and gains a bit of powderiness.

misspring's avatar
    misspring

Blu Notte by Bulgari

5 Stars and a Big Thumbs Up:
    Bulgari has made a love potion with this one. It is intoxicating and seems to work magic with everyone. A friend told me about it, "You HAVE to try this!" she said, and pulled a bottle out of her handbag. The next day I was buying a bottle for myself. It is nearly gone, as it worked very well on hot summer nights.

misspring's avatar
    misspring

Voile de Jasmin by Bulgari

Viole de Jasmine would make a good gift perfume. It is light, does not last long, and won't offend in any way. I wouldn't use it for any fabuolous occasion, as there are so many other Jasmines out there, but it is sweet and pretty. Delicate and shy, it is a nice daytime scent.