Fragrance Reviews from September 2006

like2spray's avatar

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

I have the Cologne and the Refreshing Deodorant Spray. I love them both. The leather and tobacco notes scream "elegance". I love spraying the doedorant, and use it as a body spray often. Sometimes I layer it, topping off with a few sprays of cologne on the outerwear. Much better suited to cooler weather, IMHO.

03rd September, 2006

Aiona's avatar

Rapture by Victoria's Secret

This review is edited from the original September 3, 2006 review, which was not very informative, and perhaps confusing.

I first smelled this perfume in in the early 1990's, because one of my dormitory mates wore it. It smelled marvelous on her! So I bought it, too. I think Rapture was the first perfume that made me realize that what may smell good on someone else, doesn't necessarily smell the same on myself.

The dominant note to me is jasmine. I love jasmine, so that explains why I like it, even though it's a floral perfume. It also has a bit of a coconut-y smell, and definitely sandalwood.

It does have a good amount of sillage, and moderate longevity (< 8 hours for me). And yes, mis.anderson and cedriceccentric are right. It has a definitely "older" feel. I might compare its smell to that of Coco Chanel, but a lot less loud. And they really do not smell the same. Just that Rapture *is* a floral. Not a chypre, and not aquatic. No patchouli in this one. :)

03rd September, 2006 (Last Edited: 26th March, 2011)

360 Degrees for Men by Perry Ellis

The first notes of 360° are a blast of alcohol and cheapness. Very quickly it moves to a nice conifer note—quite strong—very refreshing, just a little bit muddled by the sage from the middle. The mid notes are quite nondescript, but the intensity of the fragrance has toned down. As other reviewers have mentioned, the best thing about of 360° is its dry down. Perry Ellis calls it ‘sensual woods,’ and it IS woody, sensual, and not at all aggressive: It stays close to the skin and is very warm and inviting. 360° is an acceptable casual scent—very pleasant and, except for the initial blast, lacking of synthetics. The top notes are quite strong in this fragrance, so that should be taken into consideration.

America for Men by Perry Ellis

This is another one of those crowded fragrances of the mid ‘90s — each level of the pyramid has a couple dozen notes — I guess it’s formulated on the theory that if you put enough notes in the mix, you’re bound to get something right. I understand the hook of this fragrance is that all the “notes” come from the USA, which is more of a marketing ploy than a solid basis on which to create a fragrance. It opens rather brightly with pineapple, and spice, and herb and floral: A multi-noted accord that basically inculcates a sense of boredom in me — I don’t find anything impressive in it. The heart notes are herbal and coniferous and floral and earthy, and I really dislike the way lavender was used in it. The base notes are coniferous and woody and citrus and ambry and musky and leathery and not one of the notes is a differentiated, pleasant note IMO — simply undifferentiated amorphousness. Not a bad scent if you can tolerate massive mediocrity.

04th September, 2006 (Last Edited: 03rd April, 2008)

Iquitos by Alain Delon

Aldehydes! I love scents that open with aldehydes, and Iquitos’s opening handles them wonderfully. Even without the aldehydes the opening would be very good—excellently balanced greens and citruses and spices—and florals from the middle. With the aldehydes added, it takes on an airiness that lifts the scent above the ordinary scheme of things. When the aldehydes die out, they are replaced by patchouli, which continues surrounding the accords of the fragrance with an air of intangibility.
    The powder and the rose and the jasmine provide a very strong floral element even in the opening. As floral as they are, they stay masculine—probably because the rose note is so dark. The spice, the rose, the sandalwood, and the civet darken Iquitos, while the aldehydes and the patchouli raise its vibrations to a higher olfactory frequency.
    To my nose, the dry down is primarily woods, moss, and musk. There is some vanilla to sweeten it, and the florals, especially the rose, continue well into the base. The dry down stays for hours—I can still smell it the next day.
    I find this scent excellent. It’s rather difficult on the wearability factor but not impossible, so it needs to be applied with considered discretion.

Navegar by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I’m impressed. By the fragrance and by the reviews here. The first time I tested this, I agreed with the reviews that said it is light, fresh, green, sea accords with great longevity. A week later when I re-tested it, it was like I was experiencing a completely different fragrance. This time it was Bois Farine’s ‘darker brother’ with no longevity. From Bois Farine, I get raw peanut butter cookie dough, and this second time with Navegar, I got baked peanut butter cookies, i.e., Bois Farine’s older brother. And when the woods popped up, it WAS like opening ‘an antique chest in some forgotten attic.’ Through subsequent wearings, I have gotten a strong black pepper note, definite tobacco, leather, more light green, some oceanic, some incense, strong wonderful woods, and a partridge in a pear tree. It IS an intelligent and intriguing fragrance—it IS ‘poetic and imagistic’. It is one that I certainly will not easily tire of.

Salvador Dali pour Homme by Salvador Dali

A creative fragrance, appropriate for the Dali name. There are very unusual notes in the opening—possibly the anise / sage combination (that ‘blood’ comment by kilted is not necessarily an exaggeration). After the opening, Salvador Dali settles down to a very nice—close to traditional—floral / wood / amber fragrance. Oriental, I would say. Wonderfully surrealistic bottle—I enjoy the juxtaposition of the flippant lips-cap to the dark Gothic-ness of the fragrance. Beautifully Dali—strong, powdery, unique, complex, Gothic—I bought it for the bottle but the fragrance itself has surprised me with its ingenuity, uniqueness, and proximity to wearability.

Sandalo by Etro

A slightly sharp bitter-citrus / cedar opening with patchouli / sandalwood support. This opening, as well as the whole fragrance has a smoky-ethereal ambiance that is its signature IMO. And yet it is not a transparent scent by any means: It has body and substance. When the top notes clear we are left with an almost straight wood note—sandalwood / cedar with patchouli giving it wings and with amber sweetening the mixture a little. The sandalwood stays through the musk / amber dry down, which lasts for an acceptable period—about 3-4 hours. The scent is (for sandalwood) rather understated in its delivery, and I like it that way. Although Sandalo is an EDC, I think it performs adequately, both in projection and duration. An EDT might be better, but I like the EDC very much, and its subtlety makes it a highly adaptable sandalwood scent.

Wings for Men by Wings

Wings opens with a fresh / spicy / fruity accord—very complex and exhibiting quite a lot of presence. Although I’m not convinced of the attractiveness of the opening accord, I do find it highly unusual. When the middle notes come into prominence, I lose my uncertainty—I KNOW that the fruity / lavender middle is not very attractive: These peachy middle notes are artificial to the extreme, and they hang around for a very, very long time. The woody dry down is nice but a little ordinary—quite lasting, though. Lest this be a complete trash of this scent, I have to say: the bottle is great—a flowing design that is perfectly proportioned for the hand.

Worth pour Homme by Worth

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme without the pain! Bergamot, lavender, and aromatics—typical opening for an 80’s fragrance and the opening in Worth Pour Homme is very good—more refined than most and very endearing. It is quite similar to Paco Rabanne, and I like it much, much better. Where I find Paco Rabanne PH harsh and gaudy, Worth is smooth and highly civilized. After the opening, the scent goes to a green / floral accord which is also similar to Paco’s middle notes. The dry down in Worth is excellent—a typical dry down of the 80’s—discreet, warm, and rich. This is certainly the one to buy if, like me, you are not in love with the garish Paco Rabanne.

Fujiyama Homme by Succès de Paris

Fujiyama has a fresh opening—reminds me a bit of Hei but not as clean or subtle and more synthetic. It really doesn’t seem much like Issey to me; there’s no citrus or pineapple-type notes. Something about the middle is not right—I don’t find the combination of notes particularly pleasant—kind of a weak body odor smell mixed with a sweet bell pepper note: The errant accord might be caused by the cardamom creeping up from the base. When the pimento disappears, the aroma switches from unpleasant to nondescript. As the others have noted, it doesn’t project very much, which is not necessarily a bad thing. If a person would really like this type of fragrance, I think they would find that Hei by Sung has more pleasant accords and in put together with more competancy

Café Men by Cofinluxe

I think this is where this post belongs; I’ve also posted it under Café Café Puro pour Homme. These Café-Cofinluxe offerings are confusing.
    Homme de Café is an unusual scent that first centers around that sharp muriatic acid-fluxy smell that anyone who has soldered metal, stained glass, or electronic circuit boards will recognize. Besides the flux, the opening is citrus / spicy and moves into a solid and attractive smoky / woody middle and drydown. Café is pleasant spicy, woody, and almost incensy. It is sharp and lively, and it’s a unique scent is offered at a low price. The bottle is coffin shaped and the fragrance’s longevity is so short that it, too, is probably a philosophical reminder of human mortality.

273 Indigo for Men by Fred Hayman

Indigo is similar to Bvlgari Blv, and I think it is actually better because it is not so cloying. Indigo, like Bvlgari Blv, is very powdery and has a prominent ginger note over a fresh, sweet, vanilla base. It is nicely blended and has a quite strong sillage. It appears not to last long, but I believe this is just appearance due to olfactory fatigue because of the strong ginger note. The price of Bvlgari Blv has gone down since I bought it, but, even so, I would recommend the much less expensive 273 Indigo over Bvlgari Blv because Indigo is more refined and wearable IMO.

gimpy's avatar

Envy for Men by Gucci

An extremely sensual oriental. The inscense really comes out in this one on me, which along with the ginger and nutmeg , gives it a semi-sweet body that dries down into a musky, woody base that almost seems powdery at times. This is a fragrance you want for a romantic date, or just a night out on the town. Very out-going in nature than introspective, and very long-lasting. A modern classic.

lunarpanic's avatar

Blu pour Homme by Bulgari

Boring. Just boring. I don't get spice, just a sweet, yet bland powder. Such a disappointment from Bvlgari. Go with Blv Notte, far far superior, and not related in any way other than by name.

zztopp's avatar

Angéliques Sous La Pluie by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Smells nice and earthy (and quite a bit spicier than another Ellena creation - which I wont name here - from the house of Hermes). This fragrance was "inspired by the fleeting whiff of an Angelica bouquet gathered just after a shower"...I do agree that it smells like fresh earthy soil. Infact, it reminds me more of gin and tonic; the ingredients are almost the same. The top citrus notes blend into a center of coriander, cedar and juniper berries; the scent is then later softened by a floral note (is it the angelique?). It smells nice, but the fragrance is very fleeting .. infact, my testing sessions with this make my encounters with Neroli Sauvage and Zeste Mandarine (two fragrances with great disappearing acts themselves) seem like marathon sessions. While it smells different and is a nice change of pace from the usualy citrusy/sweet fresh scents, it lacks that certain "WoW!". This, combined with its fleeting nature and sky high retail price, result in a "dont buy" recommendation. Order a decant or sample to play with it.

Skip Savage's avatar

Old Spice by Procter & Gamble

Maybe it's true the scent of Old Spice has changed. Or has been changed.

The old schooner has become a yacht, and the venerable aftershave now carries the familiar whiff of Pampers diapers.

Procter & Gamble make both products, so I'm not surprised. Just disappointed.

By the way, the original deodorant, the one in round stick, still smells true, thankfully.

Eluard's avatar

Baldessarini by Baldessarini

I can’t shake the feeling that some of the reviewers here have been overly influenced by advertisements for this one. How else to explain the surprisingly divergent views?

I came to this uncontaminated by marketing and fluff and have to say that I am a believer. I can’t quite believe how beautiful this juice is. It is just surprisingly lovely at all stages, but doesn’t feel feminine in any way. It is sweet, I suppose, but more, it seems to radiate sunlight, a warm yellow glow. Wearing this I feel happier and more centred, more myself. I like the world more. I have no direct evidence as yet, but I think that others will appreciate it on me. (This review is of the concentree version.)

If it reminds me of anything it would be Salvador, by Salvador Dali.

sshak13's avatar

Guess Man by Guess

Great new scent!! A great fragrance for every occasion. A very manly citrus/fruity smell. A great first attempt by a Great Brand Name. The lavender note is just wonderful. I also thought it was a little like curve, but that stuffs disgusting. Go Inzimam!!!

areko79's avatar

Iran Iran

Desire for a Man by Dunhill

I don't like sour colognes and they make me vomit. for example:
    Burberry London (the worst fragrance i've ever use), Dunhill Desire,
    Desire Blue & Ferrari Black, of course Desire is better than the others.
    is strong for me & very fruity.
    Ferrari, Dunhill & Hugo Boss Products are like cheap colognes.

areko79's avatar

Iran Iran

Tam Dao by Diptyque

TAM DAO is only product of Diptyque that i tested.
    it's of those specific perfumes that needs special taste and is not suitable for all.
    those who tested it like it very much.
    that first 10 golden minutes after wearing it is unforgettable and after then is still good.
    it is not one of my faves but i tested it sometimes.

Notes:

Top Notes: Cypress from Italy, Myrte, Rosewood.

Middle Notes: Sandalwood from Goa, Cedar.

Basenotes: Amber, Vanilla, White Musks.

Kotori's avatar

Mandarine Tout Simplement, by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This is amazing! And different on everyone. On me, it smells sharp and green til the end. This smells so much like an orange, I feel like I'm in Florida when I wear it. Unfortunately, it doesn't last nearly long enough! Fortunately, there are 8 oz. of it. I just found out yesterday that there were only 100 sent to the U.S., and it will not become a part of the permanent line. I'm wondering where I can come up with $125 before the last 5 bottles at my local store are gone!

kudzuflower's avatar

Design by Paul Sebastian

I must add in defense of this, my first real love. Admittedly, it smells completely different on my skin and doesn't get where I really want it to be for a few hours, once it mellows and does its thing with my chemistry, it's absolutely perfect. It's not often that my skin chemistry works FOR me, so this may be one to try if you've had a string of hard luck. Maybe a little dated, but warm, clean smelling- a little sweet, but not cloying. Not so awful, after all.

kudzuflower's avatar

Insolence Eau de Toilette by Guerlain

Not sure at all what to make of this. During a day of fragrance shopping, this one stands out as different from all the rest. Sweet violets, but maybe something a little funky in there, too? An old friend used to buy some kind of gris-gris candles to burn for good luck, etc. There's something here that reminds me of that smell. Not completely awful, but not a slam dunk on first smell. I'd encourage anyone to try for themselves and see what happens.

nymthehavoc's avatar

Austria Austria

Allure Homme by Chanel

one of the best fragrance ever. Great class, sexy but not in your face.
    great choice and everybody knows it is chanel.

acehimself's avatar

Pi by Givenchy

I've tried Pi out a fair bit lately and it makes me want to like it but I just can't. I can see how this warm fragrence would be ideal for close romantic type settings or a cold evening. In the top notes unfortunately I can smell nothing but what gives the impression of being pure vanilla extract, almost edible as many say. But as the time progresses it develops a bit more and there are woody notes for sure.

One of my main problems with this one though is that to me it has a very, very feminine touch to it. If I had never smelled it before I am sure I would guess that it was a female fragrance.

I can see how some might like it and it may have it's uses somewhere but I see it's application as very limited, certainly not enough to justify purchasing it.

Halston 1-12 by Halston

A sparkling citrus / green opening—beautiful. On my skin, the citrus disappears very quickly leaving an aromatic / herbal / coniferous accord that is quite attractive with a very slight medicinal tint to it. This accord is ‘generic,’ but this might be the fragrance that introduced that particular accord. Light florals and lavender make their entrances in the middle accord, and again, the result is beautifully identifiable because the fragrance has been around for years. The dry down is appealing: A warm amber chypre with a touch of vanilla.
    Although I have had a long and happy association with Halston Z-14, I am new to wearing 1-12. I bought it because it was discontinued. I have missed a beautiful fragrance all these years. Even though ‘1-12’ sounds less like a muscle car, I like it better than Z-14.

Halston Z-14 by Halston

Halston Z-14 is an attractive fragrance whose name makes me want to drive it. The top notes are a citrus / cypress combination that is delightfully 70’s. It is a clean, clear lemon / bergamot citrus nicely supported by a cypress that knows how to support without interfering. I don’t smell the floral in the top notes. With the mid-notes comes a definite shift from citrus to spices. I get a spice accord dominated by cinnamon, and here again, the florals do not come through very strongly to my nose. This middle accord is clear, clean, and precise. The dry down unquestionably belongs to its age: Such a pleasant, balanced leather / musk accord with a touch of incense, amber, moss, and tonka. Halston Z-14 is a very nicely put together fragrance—masculine, dry, barely touched with sweet, subtle enough, aggressive enough… A perfect example of many of the best elements of designer fragrances of its time.

oolong's avatar

Givenchy Gentleman by Givenchy

Some fragrances I love from the moment I fist put them on, where as with others it takes me a bit of time to get my head wrapped around them. Gentleman is very definitely a fragrance which took me some time. Some others have commented that it smells of urine. Yes, I can see that, but only for about the first 15 minutes or so. Gentleman, in my experience anyway, does not make a good first impression, but once you get past the first 15 minutes or so it turns into one of the most pleasingly masculine fragrances I’ve ever used. For me it is more of a daytime fragrance, great for the office, but it would also be acceptable as an evening fragrance.

Renato's avatar

Bazar Homme by Christian Lacroix

This scent has very good lasting power and easily delivers an entire working day of ozonic freshness on me. On any day, I'd rather wear a less complex scent that lasts, to a more complex one that conks out when you most need it.
    Renato