Latest Perfume Reviews

Be the Legend by Oriflame

I'm a naysayer for a lot of modern perfumes, including this one. I'm fairly confident this uses the same aroma-chemical featured in Dolce and Gabbana The One for Men, which I prefer over this. In both cases, the aroma-chemical induces a weariness, despite smelling ok in moments. My sense of smell is initially drawn to it, and somewhat interested, but then concern sets in - that it might be harmful, perhaps headache inducing, and the association with potential harm is a deal breaker. Ultimately, it smells too harsh for me.

Black Tulip by Nest

This is fairly loud. I guess one could say it's a dark floral. Plum, pink pepper, violet, and patchouli is an odd marriage here. Not much violet, do I detect. It is more a plum and patch dance. Smells of stale wood. Smells, "off", for lack of a better word.

Nest has some better perfumes, than this. When it dries down though, it becomes less obnoxious.

parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Zagorsk by Comme des Garçons

Georgeous - Love the Snowy, Fir, Moody, vibe from this one. Check this.

La Yuqawam pour Homme by Rasasi

I don't like smelling of leather but I almost find this a delight. Another reviewer described it as more like suede and I think I get it. There is a subtly and depth and almost a freshness. It is quite linear.
Certainly this is far superior to Tom Fords Tuscan Leather.

Fragrance: 4/5

Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford

This is a complete joke. If want to smell like leather buy Rasasi La Yuqawam which is more subtle and fresh (as much as any leather can be) and is almost a delight.
If you want to be ripped off with a lower quality fragrance then Tom Ford it is but rest assured no one who smells it will know. Maybe you want to feel you smell like the inside of a Veyron? After all art should be for you not the beholder. In this case Tom Ford's bank account.

Longevity: 3/5

Neroli Portofino by Tom Ford

Average Neroli fragrance but with a green vibe that makes it damp and annoying. Castle Forbes Special Reserve Neroli is much better and cheaper.
For the fashion victims only not the connoisseurs .

Longevity: 3/5

Proust Perfumes : Oriane by 4160 Tuesdays

Described on the website as a fantasy floral made with natural absolutes and contemporary synthetics.

Opening is a light powdery floral note that settles into a cold cream/talcum powder scent. For those that love the 'makeup' smell or cold cream notes, or in my case it's reminiscent of my grandmother's 1950's style bathroom, this is one for you.

Oriane dries down to a powdery vanilla, which I've noticed in a number of 4160 Tuesdays perfumes that focus on florals.

Monsieur de Givenchy by Givenchy

Monsieur Givenchy is a fragrance created on the heels of a predecessor, in much the same way Guerlain's Vetiver would be a take on the emerging category of "vetiver masculine" and like Guerlain's scent, wasn't necessarily an attempt at outdoing what came before but rather just place a unique spin on the style. The aromatic citrus was one rare instance where the chypre-type actually worked for masculine composition, and ever since it gained popularity at the end of the 40's, most of the prominent French design houses would do their own take on it, most of them being debut masculines for their respective houses, continuing into the mid-seventies until the chypre was finally thwarted by the more versatile fougère. In retrospect, Givenchy's debut male chypre feels closest to Chanel Pour Monsieur (1955), not because it is an attempt at duplication, but because it has the same mannered and measured structure. It wasn't the wild virility bombs of Moustache Rochas (1949) or YSL Pour Homme (1971), but neither was it as herbal or soft as Dior Eau Sauvage (1966) and Guerlain Habit Rouge (1965), respectively. Simply put, this scent is a careful balancing act in a bottle made possible by what must have been a fastidious amount of formulation by Givenchy.

Monsieur Givenchy would take lessons from both the the skank from the early Rochas entry and the petigrain-soothed restraint of the Chanel, sitting somewhere firmly between them in terms of masculinity and etiquette. The dry lavender and lemon show through as expected, with the oakmoss and sandalwood being less heavy than the Chanel, and a pang more of the civet , but still not a whole dollop of it like the Rochas, which makes this feel like a chypre compromise in a bottle. The whole thing is light, airy, aromatic, a bit mischievous in the civet usage, and definitely more of an enhancing scent than a dominant fragrance meant to mask all indiscretions, so it's easily layered with something else or worn on fabric for a longer citrus sustain. It's romantic in the French ballroom sort of way, and is the perfect aromatic citrus for the person who wants to experience the lowest common denominator between all the various varieties made around this period. It certainly isn't my favorite, but from an objective point of view, it does have a little bit of everything in equal amounts that typify what a masculine chypre was at the time, so for the person not wanting to spend a lot of cash tracking down all of these old kings of French design, it serves as the least risky entry point.

Another less-evident comparison would be to Avon's Tribute for men, a much more obscure offering that would also be a debut masculine (of sorts) and come several years after this. If Monsieur Givenchy was the median French chypre for European men or sophisticates elsewhere, then Tribute would become it's reverse-engineered American sibling, with the former's immaculate sense of balance spun off in favor of a more-downmarket approach that thrusts the citrus zest and woodsy warmth ahead. It's almost funny that in describing this scent, I've had to use so many comparisons. It really is like the Goldilocks of aromatic citrus scents: everything is "just right" and as a result it fails to have any unique characteristics outside of this averaging of notes. It's not quite a redundant addition as chypre fans will appreciate it's immaculate construction and subtlety whether or not they have more than one of the other selections this is most closely related to, and sometimes you just want something that is quality without quirkiness, fanciness without fussiness, and maybe that's what the makers of Monsieur Givenchy were on about all this time. The jack of all trades chypre, and master of none.
rbaker Show all reviews

Peach by Demeter Fragrance Library

The good part

The initial peach impression is lovely. It is a fresh peach, not too mature and hence not very sweet. Well done.

The problem

This nice peach lasts about one minute at the longest.

The rest

After the first minute this composition turns into the most generic, synthetic and dull chemical laboratory concoction. To call it a synthetic fruitiness is overly optimistic. A non-event.

The performance

I get moderate sillage, adequate projection and four hours of longevity on my skin.

The summary

Does one minute of a positive impression compensate for four hours of negativity? No. Does this one minute justify a neutral score? I am afraid not. 1.75/5.

Jazz Prestige by Yves Saint Laurent

Opens with a cacophony of notes and fruity sweetness that had me wince. Like many from the 80's era a bit overwhelming in the opening, kind of like players tuning their instruments with some discord.
Then the hook of Astringent(Bergamot)counters and mates with the Anise, Caraway, Ginger, now I'm finding the groove. A base of Oakmoss, Patch and Sandalwood provides a Lansdcape for a Germanium, Carnation and rose mix almost reminiscent to Equipage. I am a sucker for the Amber with a bit of Benzoin folded in. The Fir makes a showing and I finally recognize the Lavender and a sprinkle of Cinnamon.

All this goodness in a 1.7 oz unopened cellophane untouched an a YSL sticker.

29.99 CAD delivered yah!!

Yerbamate by Lorenzo Villoresi

Hark, what faint aura
From magic nature's brew, this
Weak force masterpiece?

Legend Night by Montblanc

Slightly disappointed, since I was in my imagination expecting something more original and frankly (conceptually) closer to a better appointed new Azzaro Intense Parfum or something like that. The previous reviewers quite hit the spot since I get amberish/slightly gourmandish overtones on the regular "fizzier" Legend-base (still dominant in its main accord of citrus, greens, fruits, patchouli and tonka). The spicy side is not exclusively represented by cardamom since I detect cloves or nutmeg as well. I quite agree on that Legend Night conjures more than vaguely scents a la Nina Ricci Mamoire d'Homme with lot of elements in common with well known further scents a la Baldessarini Ambre', Amouage Reflection Men, Gaultier Le Beau Male, Ysl Body Kouros, La Nuit de L'Homme, Polo Black and funther. The juice combines the fizzy fruity (somewhat sporty) elements of the "regular Legend" (vaguely floral and tart) with a sweeter side represented by sweet ambroxan, spices and vanilla. Cardamom still provides a scratchy peppery fluidier undertone for long. Dry down is a boring, nowadays mainstream, drier cedary (vaguely pencil shavings) ending. Lovely bottle.
13th December, 2017 (last edited: 14th December, 2017)

JHL by Aramis

I'm sampling what I think is vintage Aramis JHL, and enjoying it tremendously, which is typical for me sampling Aramis fragrances. I don't know if it's something I would wear often if I had a bottle - maybe - but it's a delicious, mouthwatering sampling experience. Old-school goodness, warm and spicy, masculine floral. I don't see moss listed, but it smells mossy to me, with its luscious texture.

Not to detract from how fantastic this is, but to remind myself what it smells like, somewhat: the best-smelling mens' deodorants from the 1980s smelled like rip offs of this, or tributes to it - the Speed Stick by Mennen with the brown cap, the spicy one, comes to mind.

What seemingly makes this perfume so great is some animalic component, I think musk. As much as I like this, I would want to get a great deal on the original version to buy a bottle - I don't think it's something I would wear often. I get more joy from the opening and early stages than the base.

No. 5 by Chanel

I really wanted to like this. I tried it several times and to no avail. It just doesn't smell good on me. Unfortunately instead of getting the florals in the heart notes or the woods, amber, vanilla etc in the base, I just get a big ole dose of Civet that shines through and trust me, it is not a pleasant scent. I wanted to like and wear it because it reminded me of my mother, but it doesn't smell on me the way it did on her. I am going to have to give this away to someone and hope it smells good on them.

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

I had this in the 1990's. Nice for the time but it just didn't do it for me. I don't believe it smells dated just not my cup of tea. It's strong from the start and the fuel smell is a non starter for me. I do like the woody dry down but the opening is just a terrible experience for me. Overall neutral.

Escada pour Homme Light Silver Edition by Escada

This is nice enough after a very promising beginning.
I get exactly the same opening as above. Grapefruit apple mint. Refreshing not overpowering. Then in the blink of an eye the freshness recedes last thing to go being the apple to be replaced by violet and patchouli hence slightly cloying. Not for me but would make a safe work fragrance and perhaps be nicer with different skin chemistry.
Its not cheap!

Fragrance: 3/5
Longevity: 2/5

Amour Amour by Jean Patou

Amour Amour was created as part of a trilogy of perfumes dedicated to the progress of love, as everyone knows, but even when taken on its own, Amour Amour tells a complicated story, one that I feel I am just beginning to understand. I have the parfum, probably dating to the 1960-70’s. Amour Amour was discontinued in 1974 and briefly reissued in 1984, but I have not tested that later version.

Amour Amour’s note list is a veritable cornucopia, but lists cannot convey the true personality of a perfume, and Amour Amour is a luxurious and romantic bouquet. I do not perceive any hesperidic sourness, herbs, or leafiness as Amour Amour unfolds on the skin, just plush, dewy flowers, with ylang ylang, violet, and rose most evident to me, along with some good orris. I’ve compared Amour Amour side by side to other vintage floral compositions, all in parfum formulations, and I was surprised to see how closely Amour Amour resembled Francois Coty’s Paris (1923), launched two years earlier. It's also very clear that Almeras reused certain floral materials from Amour Amour when he constructed Joy for Patou five years later. The resplendent rose is the same, but Joy parfum is a much more formal and focused composition than Amour Amour, with a potent animalic base that Amour Amour lacks, although there is a subtle warm muskiness in Amour Amour that supports the floral notes and adds depth. Heliotrope or violets, along with a delicious touch of sweetness but not, thank heavens, a realistic strawberry note, make Amour Amour feel more youthful and, it must be said, more joyful than Joy. Wearing Amour Amour feels like a simple pleasure, but this is a carefully calibrated, masterful composition.

Les Elixirs Charnels - Floral Romantique by Guerlain

Charmingly alive,
Flowers, fruits and foliage
Go for a picnic.

Pino Silvestre by Silvestre

A lot has been spoken on behalf of this scent, and several Italian friends tell me it's about as ubiquitous in their home country as Old Spice is in the US. That statement alone had me approach Pino Silvestri with some trepidation because anything that widespread is bound to be downmarketed into oblivion, with the personality of a Windex bottle. Luckily, this is not the case at all with Pino, and it's quite the shocker as it does not smell at all like it's name or packaging would have one believe. First thing's first about Pino Silvestri: the current IP holder of the fragrance (Mavive S.p.a)has probably done the most of the aforementioned speaking on behalf of this scent, and the current website/packaging for the scent treats the stuff like it's "Blood from the Golden Child" or something, which is kinda scary and funny at the same time. "The purest tears trickle onto the pine cones releasing the fresh scent of the pine needles intense and balmy fragrance" is but one hyperbolic snippet to be found on the box, and there's plenty more where it came from both there and on the website for the stuff. Let me tell ya, the actual product is nowhere near as mystifying as that, but I'm sure you've already guessed as much.

Pino Silvestri does indeed smell like pine, but not singularly, and not in a manner that reminds you of cleansers such as Pine-Sol, or the stuff you spray on artificial Christmas trees. Granted, pine is pine so you'd better like it if you're even thinking about trying this stuff, but built around that pine heart note is so much more. The stuff is almost built like a fougère but lacks some of the key notes to define it as such, and really makes me think of Penhaligon's Bleheim Bouquet or Avon's Windjammer in that it has a very strong peppery accord. Pino Silvestri does not actually contain any black pepper like those other two, but the combination of sage and geranium around the pine, plus the rather up-front bergamot, and cedarwood down in the base all just swirl into something peppery and bold anyway. The whole thing wears like a lovely alert and fresh scent for the man that needs all the boost he can get beyond his coffee to perk up, and although this completely murders any potential in the romance or evening wear department, it does make Pino Silvestri a very good shaving buddy and work scent. If you live in an area where pine is plentiful, like my Pacific Northwest home, this is almost a shoe-in scent for your collection, especially for the Trader Joe's and R.E.I.-shopping types that drive muddy Subarus and wear sandals in the winter.

Pino won't appeal to the folks who want sophistication, nor will it really be relevant to the fans of sweet or cool scents, as it's neither a club-hopping oriental/gourmand nor a sporty/blue gym scent. It is quite fresh, but a different kind of by-gone outdoorsy freshness that used to be how "bracing" sport scents of the 50's, 60's, and 70's were made, pretty much right up to the advent of the aquatic in the late 80's. Pino Silvestri has a huge line of other products to fill one's bathroom and shower stall, as this stuff is quite the institution in Italy as mentioned before, plus has the prerequisite flankers such a popular commercial scent would need to cast a wider net. It's a really brisk scent for the winter holidays, again due to it's pine construction, and might wear good in all other seasons save maybe the dead heat of summer, where it fails to really cool the senses, disappearing under high humidity instead. If you're a fan of pine and like the idea of a pine-laced day wear scent that won't really impress or offend, then this is a cheap thrill, but otherwise, it's not really much more than the sum of it's fairly simple parts. Oh by the way, you can't reuse the bottle as a Christmas ornament, sorry. Good stuff!

Une Ville, un Parfum : London by Guerlain

Why doesn't anyone note the leather here?

It's a jammy rose with rhubarb, but the leather is clear. It's even noted on the colorful map in the box.

Clearly a unisex. The bottle is a bit uninspired: a glass rectangle with a platinum image of Tower Bridge.

Good longevity and very unique. I don't understand the dislike of this. I bought a backup and, sure enough, it disappeared.
rbaker Show all reviews

Linden by Demeter Fragrance Library

This is indeed a credible rendering of the linden fragrance as it is exuded by linden blossoms.

A bit flatter than the originals, this is a fairly restrained floral blossom aroma, of discrete sweetness and not at all heavy. On the contrary, this Demeter is more on the airy and elegant side.

The sillage is moderate, the projection very good, and the longevity is six hours on my skin.

Although rather linear in its development, this is a pleasant tree blossom creation. 3.25/5.

Just Rock! pour Lui by Zadig & Voltaire

Turbulent, dusty/incensey and peppery-intoxicating woody-oriental with a woody-ambery-incensey warm sweetish ending, a sort of V&R Spicebomb's far parent with a trendy-chic inebriating development a la One Million, Roccobarocco Extraordinary Man, Ted Lapidus Black Soul or stuffs like those. Sultry. Nuclear performances. Overly sweetish at the end on my skin.

Black Velvet Café by 4160 Tuesdays

Well done - very well done. Definitely a woody, leather and tobacco accord. Reminds me of the pubs before they banned smoking inside - the pubs with all the dark and old wooden benches, tables, and corner seating with the leather backs and seating.

Opens with a slight band-aid tinge but quickly settles down. I did not detect any coffee notes at all on me, but heavy on the leather.

While not my usual cup of tea, I can appreciate it for what it is. Great longevity, a little went a very long way.

Verdon by L'Occitane

You cannot fool moi,
Acqua di Giò, despite your
Excellent disguise!

Kenzo pour Homme by Kenzo

An average greeny woody male fragrance.
Not that nice but also inoffensive. Perhaps may have a result with the right skin chemistry.
The patchouli and geranium wafting around in the background undoes it for me.

Fragrance: 3/5

Zegna Intenso by Ermenegildo Zegna

Average citrus opening slightly effeminate mixed with pepper which then becomes the main note. Pepper , pepper, more pepper, gets up your nose pepper.
Zegna think they can sell this like this and justify it with the moniker 'Intense?' Why not just sell essence of chilli or garlic? The idea is to create a fragrance. Not just reproduce one acrid ingredient.

Fragrance: 1/5

Erolfa by Creed

This is a peppery yet effeminate aquatic. A confused transgender as such it could still justify itself on quality alone depending on taste but it's not even a particularly nice smell.
For me who is looking for masculine or worst a great unisex that has good skin chemistry with me this is a complete waste of time and money.
Far superior to this in every way is Heeley's Sel Marine which is nice enough although its Yuzu is even better. The ultimate is Profumum Aqua Di Sale if you want this sort of thing.

Projection: 3/5
Longevity: 3/5 -wish it were less.

Epic Man by Amouage

Stardate 20171212:
Vintage Version:

Lies somewhere between Lyric and Jubilation.
Best of both world.
The pepper note up top goes well with frankincense and cardamom. Settles down to a nice musky leather and incense.
Not as sweet as Lyric and not as baroque as XXV.
FBW

Lyric Man by Amouage

Stardate 20171212:

Vintage version:
Starts a bit sour. Lime is listed in topnotes so maybe that is it. Smells more like Yogurt sour. This is not my favourite part.
In an hour the rose and nutmeg rise through the sourness and make this very pleasant. Musk and Vanilla round out the pine /lavendar.
I like this one except for that sour note up top.
Has the signature incense base.

A*Men Kryptomint by Thierry Mugler

A minty version of the original IMO. Nice longevity and projection. Would work well in most settings and seasons. Overall a thumbs up but enough with the flankers already lol.