Fragrance Reviews from September 2006

Renato's avatar

Paris Hilton for Men by Paris Hilton

I didn't think much of this one when I gave it a wrist test - I think because I'm averse to cucumbers. But when I actually wore it, it was marvellous.
    A potent, fruity scent with excellent lasting power, great for warm weather.
    Renato

the_gabba_goul's avatar

parfums*PARFUMS Series 6 Synthetic: Skai by Comme des Garçons

This one will have to grow on me a bit...I can see myself liking this one, eventually, but it's just a bit "out there"...it smells a bit like warm cheap hairgel or something, but as time goes by it softens out a bit, then warms up a bit more, it almost smells "sticky" (if this makes any sence...)CDG are the masters of making the unusual beautiful, and this scent is no exception, if you're looking for somehting different, look no further...

the_gabba_goul's avatar

parfums*PARFUMS Guerrilla 2 by Comme des Garçons

What happened to CDG? the phrase that seemed to be echoing among many lovers of scents shortly after this new series hit the street...I didnt expect too much out of this scent after hearing everybody's chagrin, but my loyalty to CDG wouldnt allow me not to buy such a highly anticipated scent...

What happened to CDG? I'll tell you what...they shifted the paradigm of what a scent is...again...now that every mainstream design house is producing another one dimentional "smoky and mysterious" sleeping potion or a sickly "gourmand" yawn fest, CDG retaliates in true guerrilla fashion, ambushing us with something so completely unexpected that most dont even get it. To me G2 has a bit of a "tropical" smell, I dont really get all the spicyness or whatever. A bit more feminine, but that's what makes it so cool for us guys to wear...it's unexpected, just like (I suspect) the whole concept behind this new Guerrilla series (the element of surprize)...It's deffinately sweet, it reminds me of partying up on a beach somewhere the hot sun beating down, chilled fresh fruit, strong cocktails, and loud music. Some may disagree, but, I think that G2 is yet another home run from the company that is "Like the Boys"...

themeglet's avatar

Tribù by Benetton

Cedar and rose...a spot-on capture of the zeitgeist of '93. Not a bad scent, but really not my cup of tea. (Speaking of which, I don't get the tea note at all...) Again, not a bad scent--I could sit next to someone wearing this and not find it offensive--but I think it might be a bit too reminiscent of scents such as Liz Claiborne and... heh, perhaps castorpollux is right in saying that Tribu is one of the most recognizable smells out there... It's a nice, innocuously woody/rosy, earthy scent that accurately pins down the Benetton multi-color/multi-scent ethos.

themeglet's avatar

Mitsouko by Guerlain

How I looked forward to receiving my mini Mitsouko... and what a disturbing feeling it was to dab a tiny drop onto my hand, and realize I had suddenly released the genie of old ladies. Why? Is it it that my nose has no sense of sophistication? Does my mini *also* date from 1919? (If a perfume already smells of old lady, can the bottle itself go "old"? Will I wake up thirty years from now with a nose for this?) Once again--yet for the first time with a Guerlain scent--I am reminded of the half-dozen perfumes that my grandmother (god rest her soul) must have purchased when she was in her twenties, each which had that old-crusty-perfume-build-up around the edges of the bottle. One day my nose will recognize the "mystery" in this scent; until then, it will remain a lovely little mini bottle on my desk.

EDIT: Never let it be said that elderly ladies are transparent. Despite my prolonged negative response to this, I must admit that I find it terribly intriguing. I don't know if I'm convincing my nose to like it, or if my nose is convincing me that there is more going on here than I want to admit. Either way, Mitsouko has many stories left to tell...I think I might be ready to listen.

Bel Ami by Hermès

This scent makes me feel like I can take on the world. True, the topnotes are a little overpowering, but about around 20 minutes, you have a spicy, leathery, manly aroma with just a hint of lemon to make it more wearable. The trick is to wear very small amounts, and definitely apply to skin.

Must de Cartier pour Homme by Cartier

This is one of the very few orientals that I like. While most are sillage powerhouses with annoyingly sweet bases, this one features a perfectly subtle (but not unnoticable) mixture spices, wood, and a tasteful amount of tonka. Very versatile and very classy. Thumbs up.

Rush for Men by Gucci

I don't find this to be sharp or bitter in the least. It's certainly very woody, but I get a soft powdery background. It isn't bad or unpleasant, but it definitely lacks depth. Rush lasts no longer than 3 hours on me though, which really surprised me because woods normally stay around forever. I see no reason to get this when jems like Gucci PH and Visit are around.

John Varvatos by John Varvatos

Meh, it smells of fruity syrup to begin with, then dries down to a creamy vanilla. I was very surprised by how heavy this one is. It reminds me of the women's CK Euphoria, which is also too sweet. Perhaps a good clubbing scent, but I wouldn't wear it for much else.

zztopp's avatar

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

I was turned off by the provocative ad campaign for this fragrance, but the cool bottle and the general excellence of YSL tempted me enough to try the seventh mens fragrance release from YSL.
    M7 starts off with a citrus and slightly sweet top notes which subside soon to reveal a sweet slightly medicinal scent. This middle phase is the main focus of M7 - the agarwood note. Agarwood is an expensive wood, which in its true form has a slightly pungent smell. Cultivated (by fungi) agarwood on the other hand smells sweet and medicinal; a whole lot like sandalwood+vetiver, infact. This note is the heart of the fragrance, and is deep, rich and very long lasting. If you dont like rich orientals or sandalwood based fragrances, you may not be partial to M7.
    M7 is a very rich and long lasting fragrance extremely suitable for cold weather. It is potent, and so proper application technique is required. It also elicits lots of compliments. Along with Van Cleef pour homme, this is now one of my Fall weather staples. I cant get enough of that agarwood note !

ObsessionForMen's avatar

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

The ULTIMATE oriental. It doesn't get better than this.

vadim's avatar

Russian Federation Russian Federation

Polo Crest by Ralph Lauren

Polo Green domesticated for safer office/smart casual wear. Good alternative for those too timid to use the original formulation. Doesn't pack the same punch as PG, but quite likeable nonetheless.

madridbatabidd's avatar

Spain Spain

Comme des Garçons 3 by Comme des Garçons

I just bought it and i have to say it´s just amazing, enough strong but really fresh, a balance between organic and synthetic notes...you can pick up citric notes and specially the Gingko note that is freshing and kind of juicy in a odd way and reminds me a fresh sliced fig but not as trong, and then i can smell kind of sugary gasoline?.
    The perfume changes after one hour radicly and comes dark and woody sticky black,i couldn´t describe it,but,10 mt later comes completely fantastic, softy spicy and woody with a familiar smell of surrounding air of gasoline, yes gasoline but extremely pleasant,attractive and personal, my colleague from work wants to bite me every time i wear it:)
    This perfume is very personal,give it a try and enjoy it!

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

A vile, execrable potion -- more akin to burning asphalt than eau de toilette. This bottled evil gives me migraines deluxe, and often does the same to those unfortunate souls around me who have to ingest its rancid fumes.

Try gasoline -- it's cheaper and smells far better.

Erolfa by Creed

My favorite of the newer Creed fragrances -- well, right up there with Millesime Imperial, anyway.

Very crisp, very fresh -- not overbearing or overblown in any way.

Hands down, this is my very favorite marine scent of all time.

Jockey Club by Caswell-Massey

De-LISH! I love the powdery drydown of it -- very reminiscent of Lagerfeld Classic in its overall effect (if not its exact notes, granted).

I wear this one all the time, both in formal and informal settings. (One of the few fragrances I know of that effortlessly crosses that line.)

An earlier reviewer compared it (albeit a little unreasonably) to Dana's "Canoe"). Nothing wrong there -- "Canoe" is, in many ways, a less expensive and (IMHO) a less complex version of "Jockey Club."

Good buy for the money all in all, but I don't recommend it if you dislike powdery scents.

Lapidus pour Homme by Ted Lapidus

I'll give this one a "thumbs up", but no thanks to my body chemistry's bizarre interaction with T.L. I love the notes themselves, but WHEW! Talk about a headache in the making for Yours Truly!
    (Yes, pronounced migraines usually ensue after I've been spritzed with this heady stuff, first off.)

Also, its sillage carries for MILES. (This isn't a problem for me, but some don't like it in their own fragrances.)

All that said, I always get oodles of positive comments whenever I DO wear T.L. Still, it's just not worth it for me in light of my body chemistry and its natural aversion to the stuff. Like "Versailles" by Jean Desprez, this potion is definitely tailored for someone else, but not me.

Léonard pour Homme (original) by Léonard

A perennial favorite when I was in college, although -- looking back -- the fragrance may have been a bit "old" for me. (This is one of those that probably oughtn't be ventured by those under 35 -- it's pretty mature.) Very boozy, very rich, very formal, very deep, with great sillage and a lovely drydown. Lasts on me for HOURS.

Millésime Impérial by Creed

I agree with the reviewer who deemed this Creed classic "bright." I wear M.I. whenever I want to be in a good mood all day -- never when I crave a little melancholia on a dark winter afternoon.
    Along with Clinique's "Happy" and Dior's "Eau Sauvage Extreme," Millesime Imperial's always sure to cheer me up.

Could be longer lasting, true, but the first few hours (and the cool bottle!) are well worth the price.

Montana Parfum d'Homme (original) by Montana

Bought my first bottle in Hong Kong back in 1992. Love this rich, spicy stuff and cannot even begin to understand why Diana de Silva decided to discontinue to lush Oriental. What a pity -- will have to keep perusing eBay for "stash" bottles, I guess.

That Man by Revlon

A crisp, clean scent. Not pretentious, not cloying -- just pleasant. I get a LOT of compliments whenever I wear this one.

Too bad this one's discontinued. I buy it often when it comes up on eBay for a reasonable price.

One of my all-time favorite less expensive scents.

Cubano Gold by Victory International

Just about the best cheap fragrance I've sampled to date. My b.f. often wears this when he goes out, and, when he does, he garners TONS of compliments from men and women alike.

Very nice vanilla notes here, with a soft drydown. A tad linear, perhaps, but very nice effect overall. Again, it's VERY reasonably priced, too.

Rochas Lui by Rochas

Yum yum YUM! This retro-inspired gem is sure to be a new classic, and I'll just DIE if Rochas discontinues it. It reminds me of something my Dad would have worn in the late Sixties or early Seventies -- very masculine, with lots of bravado. Still, it's not "in your face" (as Aramis or Gentleman can easily be if over-applied).

Superb drydown, with a soft muskiness and subtle citrus-y notes to tone down the upper cedar and sycamore notes.

Very reasonable, too -- picked up my last big tester on eBay for less than USD$25.00. (A real bargain!)

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Good scent. Pencil shavings do not come close to describing the quality of the woody ambience of this cologne. No other scent has conjured up such vivid images: I envision a small but lively campfire creating a warm, happy ring of light in the middle of a vast, empty desert. A few people are huddled in fuzzy wool blankets, lost in their thoughts. If i'm feeling less impassioned, it reminds me of my childhood winters. I would run around outside until I was too cold to bear, then come inside and plop in front of the fireplace, which was almost always lit, and just stare at it. Then I would go back out. Basically, it smells like a campfire, but in the very best way possible. The very definition of a comfort scent for me.

05 September, 2006 (Last Edited: 21st June, 2011)

Mario Justiniani's avatar

Cuba Cuba

Himalaya by Creed

The impossibly lovely girl across the room meets your eyes, gets up, and walks right into you arms. You hit all the lottery numbers. Win an Oscar. Receive the highest military award for bravery.
    Yes, I know I'm not giving you any of the notes--others have done that quite well--suffice it to say you'll garner compliments all day long while feeling like a soaking wet Gene Kelly in "Singing in the Rain."

Himalaya?
    It's like tap dancing in heaven.

However, should you end up in the other place, not to worry. Himalaya works wonders in hot weather as well.

06 September, 2006 (Last Edited: 05 July, 2009)

cedriceccentric's avatar

Belgium Belgium

Rose de Nuit by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Rose de Nuit can be nauseating to some, my BF hates it. It's a very rich ambery rose with a green start. If Joy is the best jasmine fragrance and Fracas the best tuberose, Rose de Nuit is IMHO the best oriental rose available. I find it very chic, makes me think of a 1970s Catherine Deneuve in a fur coat.

Cipriano's avatar

Old Spice Pure Sport by Procter & Gamble

An interesting attempt. Think 60% Old Spice and 40% Chanel Allure Homme. Of course it's not as refined as those two scents, but it's not half bad as a mass market oriental. Toss in the $7.00 price tag, the classic splash bottle with stopper and you have a winner.

Clayton's avatar

Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Chergui is by no means a terrible fragrance, but it's so painfully not my thing that I have difficulty formulating anything worthwhile to say about it. A nice resinous quality paired with an overwhelming, and ultimately distracting, syrupy sweetness. Strictly for those who like to smell sticky.

Clayton's avatar

Piper Nigrum by Lorenzo Villoresi

Perhaps if I had approached this scent with fewer expectations, I would not have been quite so let down by the thing in the flesh. Piper Nigrum has very little of the livelier and more savoury aspects of freshly ground black pepper for which I had been hoping; instead, it zeroes in on the warm, sweet, and menthol-like notes. Still, it remains worthwhile, particularly if you are searching for a masculine oriental with an uncommon yet natural feel to it.

manicboy's avatar

Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier

First of all, I should probably post this review in the women's discussion board. As a spokesman for all Metrosexual males everywhere, this juice isn't for us. Not even close. It's a ladies perfume at best and ice cream topping at worst. As a fan of really sweet concoctions such as Joop! Homme, Opium and even JPG #1; JPG #2 raises the "candy bar" even higher. This stuff will actually put pounds on you.

The drama starts off with a rather annoying & cloying bubblegum vapor. And when I say bubblegum, I'm talking Bubblicious. Grape to be exact. I haven't smelled this stuff since middle school. I believe that's the Amber talking. This bubblegum note lasts a rather long time as it's a EdP. And it's very feminine. I had to look under my shirt to make sure I didn't have breasts!

Once the bubblegum gets swallowed up by your skin, the vanilla takes over. Now I love the vanilla in JPG #1, but here is rather boring and staid. Smells exactly like the vanilla candles I picked up at Target for $5. I detect Tonka here too, but again it doesn't do much for me. I read there's some Musk in here, but I can't detect any. Musk would've added some dimension and depth to this juice, but it's pretty much two "annoying & cloying" notes: bubblegum and candles. I don't chew bubblegum anymore and I've got plenty of candles. Next!