Fragrance Reviews from September 2006

Escentric 01 by Escentric Molecules

I really like this fragrance. I know a lot people hate it. It is very strong and it stays on you for at least 20 hours. It's not a summer scent at all. It's overpriced that's for sure.

Molecule 01 by Escentric Molecules

Like Escentric, I like this one also. It only contains a aroma molecule called "ISO E Super" and nothing else. You will not be able to smell it yourself on you very much at all but other people will smell it. It's almost a anti-perfume. The marketing for this frag is very "out there" and sounds like they really needed to come up with some reason for people to pay $135 for a bottle when you can basically make it yourself for $3. Besides that, I like the scent (woodsy).

Mugler Cologne Summer Flash by Thierry Mugler

Like the original just adds a chemical that cools you temporarily down.

Orris Noir by Ormonde Jayne

Beautifully smooth and dark scent.
    A real winnner.

Tajsmellsgood's avatar

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

This is one of the top must smell fragrances on my list. I have yet to run across it at the various shops I frequent. I think 212 has too much incense in it. It is not as pronounced in Envy. As of now, I dont think incense will be a note I will look for in fragrances. Nevertheless, I must smell this one. Looking at its pyramid, the notes in it seem interesting. Only one way to be sure.

zztopp's avatar

Royal Water by Creed

Royal Water...a (comparatively) compositionally simple Creed fragrance which suprises you with its evolution and note twists and smells great. I dont get any peach notes (as mentioned by other reviewers) and the floral component is very subdued. This is indeed very unisex, and in my opinion, one of the best fragrances for summer weather, and works great all year.
    Royal Water starts off with a blast of citrus notes of mandarin, bergamot and verbena. At this stage it is very arresting, and the tart citrus notes draw you in. After 20 minutes, Royal Water transforms into a slightly spicy, herbal and even animalic offering - this is probably due to the middle and basenotes of basil, cumin and juniper berry, which provide undertones of spice and herbs. Concurrently you get slight whiffs of the citrusy top notes. The herbal notes arent overbearing, but rather they provide a unique and alluring base which smells fantastic in combination with the bright top notes.

Royal Water smells like the product of the best parts of the Creed citrus duo Zesta Mandarine/Neroli Sauvage and the herbal mintiness of Chevrefueille Original ... with better sillage and longevity than any of them. Royal Water is a Creed offering which deserves more attention.

Rob's avatar

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Yet another positive Green Irish Tweed review... what is the world coming to?

I tried Green Irish Tweed a few years ago, while picking up whatever run-of-the-mill cologne was popular in my high school at the time. I knew nothing of Creed, or colognes in general, and was curious about the name alone. I shelled out the $200-250+ CDN for it on the spot.

Overrated? Absolutely... "Greatest", "Extremely Classy", "Sublime", "Heavenly", "Unique", "Legendary", etc. This one's suffered all manner of exaltation. It should be pointed out however, that a lot of this praise does stem from inheirently good qualities of the fragrance. The initial notes are somewhat pleasant, but not all too spectacular. Citrusy, fresh, nothing overwhelmingly unique. It is a must to allow this one to follow it's course though, as the drydown is where this one shines. It's very safe and inoffensive. Such characteristics are undesirable to some, but as a (personal) general rule, the fragrance should not be far more complex than the wearer. (heh)

As for the debate on similar fragrances, I wont contribute much. I've owned Cool Water, tried Curve and what have you, but I will still make sure I have a bottle of Tweed. They are similar, but not so to the point that discerning people will be unable to differentiate them.

Personally, I've never had the pleasure of having the mysterious "arse" note creep up on me, nor have I had any issues with longevity or sillage. I never use more than one spray. It dries down relatively quick, but will remain strong right till next morning. This millésime is my mainstay.

Eluard's avatar

Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

Ken Russell has said below “When I first got a bottle of it was so enthusiastic about it and almost instantly I felt much more sensual and attractive than ever before. But I also discovered another quality of Drakkar- for me it worked extremely well as an aid for concentration and intellectual work. Its heavy, smoky tones must have an almost spiritual, mystical aura.”

This immediately struck a chord in me because it expresses my feeling about another Pierre Wargnye creation, Baldarassini by Hugo Boss. I also get it from Contradiction (also by Wargnye). I wonder if this might not be a secret thread running through the perfumer’s work? He manages to create something quite spiritual in his work, something I get from no other cologne.

This might seem a bit of a stretch but the image that Wargnye’s work reminds me most of (and I’m thinking principally of Baldarassini here) is the art of 15th century painters like Fra Angelico. I’d be very interested to see Wargnye interviewed—I’m curious to know his own views on his work.

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Guépard by Guépard

Guepard smells just like a million other strong, sweet, nondescript perfumes for elegant, middle-aged women. I wouldn't say refined, far too sweet for that, but it's not a girlie celebrity perfume sweetness. I can't pick out any single note, and no florals, which is good in my book. I guess some of the sweetness comes from florals though, and perhaps vanilla? A quite powdery scent, but I don't mind that. It also has a tad of green sharpness/spiciness to freshen it up a little.

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

I find A Men very fascinating. I have a couple of Angel dupes which smell almost exactly like it, yet somehow they are all gourmand and girlie and sweet while A Men somehow manages to be very masculine or men's cologne-y. So yeah, A Men is the ultimate masculine gourmand, 100% masculine and 100% gourmand.
    I definitely see why a lot of people would find it obnoxious, but I find it intriguing. It has a dry patchouli note, a slightly sharp/minty cologne/chypre note and a load of caramel, coffee and chocolate. Sweet, but definitely adult sweet since it's so dry and yes, almost burnt (which I really enjoy).
    I put it on from a sample vial, not a spray, and I love it that way. Addictive and mouthwatering, yet the green chypre notes keep it from being nauseatingly gourmand. The balance is just like a masculine, strong version of my cheap drugstore Angel dupe (I think) "Love & Dreams: Blue Moon" - the same addictive, mouthwatering yet still fresh and green combo of chypre/herbs and gourmand notes.

Eau de Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

Could easily be the best of the budget clean summer scents out there. No-nonsense cool'n'clean with a slightly metallic edge that beats most of the contemporary ozones, not in the least by not being sweet.

Kanøn by Kanon

I like the bottle, I like the concept (clean mountain-fresh and woodsy scent with a sharp note) and I like the price, but there's a sour note in Kanon that doesn't really agree with me, and the lasting power on my skin is a couple of hours at best. Also, from certain angles, it comes across as a budget and somewhat dated scent. Still, better than many. I personally would prefer this one to Geir Ness. A try-before-you-buy. Then again, buying this without trying won't ruin your budget.

06 September, 2006 (Last Edited: 20th January, 2010)

Knize Two by Knize

Perfectly correct. Grey Flannel with a somewhat differently mixed floral accord (less violet?). Very agreeable.

Léonard pour Homme (original) by Léonard

Truly a poem. I nearly developed a clinical compulsive-sniffing condition when I got this -- but then the postman brought Jules...

Monogram by Ralph Lauren

If Crest was a toned-down Polo Green, this is Polo Green gentrified. I might be mistaken but I think I detect a faint aquatic/fresh note in it (or is it just the blue bottle?) besides the signature Pol-o-pine. This one could have well made it into the 1980's power scent league. Quite good but, I have to admit, not essential unless you're a completist or really into 1980's.

Odeur 53 by Comme des Garçons

Quite a mess as perfumes go but then, it's an "anti-perfume". Fun once a month for a change in the way crossword puzzles are fun. Worth having just for the heck of it.

Odeur 71 by Comme des Garçons

Amusing and quite wearable when used occasionally and reasonably. Interestingly, some of the marketing nonsense seems to be true: I do get the photocopier, but also sweat and stale butter. That's the fun thing about 71 - you can find almost anything there, depending on the mood, time and place. The not so fun thing is that it tends to be obtrusive and pretentious, like many other CdG creations. Best suited for young party-goers.

Tabac Original Extrême by Mäurer & Wirtz

A stronger version of the original with a heavy floral note added. Quite extrovert compared to the inconspicuous fresh-and-clean message of the regular Tabac, so try before you buy.

Tactics by Shiseido

Love at first sniff. Warm wet earth, grass sprinkled by a light rain, a wildflower accord and a clean artificial note that all blend together into a refined and meditative scent that somehow manages to be both comfortable and enigmatic. Unlike anything else out there, although some of the notes do remind me of the venerable Tabac Original.

Ted Lapidus pour Homme by Ted Lapidus

Exquisite. I also find it similar to the delightful Leonard, but this one, to my nose, has the bonus of a fine lingering fresh note in the drydown.

Yatagan by Caron

Whoa! Macho in a tuxedo. No matter how rarely I actually wear this, it always sits on my shelf next to Polo, Trussardi Uomo and Santos.

Balafre Vert by Lancôme

A fresh/green take on the resplendent Balafre lacking the balanced and comfortable feel of the original. Quite interesting as a shelf scent for a frag buff, but has a rather obtrusive plasticky failed-chemical-experiment note that precludes everyday wear. In that sense (leaving out the actual notes), it has always brought to my mind DKNY Energy.

New Haarlem by Bond No. 9

Lots of coffee and vanilla (with little else). But definitely not as good as real coffee and vanilla. This one falls into the same category as Demeter and many CdG's, namely non-fragrance scents. Yawn...

Wood & Spices by Montale

Spices? Maybe, but it's the ready-made-gluhwein kind of spices, thrown in indiscriminately and wallowing in sugar. Wood? I don't think so. This scent has no direction or progression, or any zest or finesse that save the quite similar Body Kouros from being equally boring.

Voleur de Roses by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I can't believe someone can like this. Smells like stale musty pastry or mouldy tangerines. And where's the rose?

parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Avignon by Comme des Garçons

I would like Avignon much more if it didn't smell exactly like instant cola drink I remember they use to sell when I was a kid (I don't see it around any more). You poured the powder into a glass, added water and made your own Pepsi or Coca Cola rip-off. When it got flat/stale it smelled just like Avignon. Flat Cola anyone?

Comme des Garçons 2 Man by Comme des Garçons

Having worn Gucci PH for over a year and loving it, I must give this thumbs up. I would probably even prefer this to GpH as it seems a bit more complex and not as sweet as GpH. It is also more smokey than GpH which is always a good thing and it's pretty long lasting on me as well. An exquisite fall/winter man's fragrance.

areko79's avatar

Iran Iran

cK one by Calvin Klein

CK1 & Truth are the best of Calvin Klein. at first is like Acqua di Giò & not interesting, but after a few minutes is like Bvlgari pour Homme, but Bvlgari PH is better & more complex than this.
    longevity is not good.
    totally CK1 is very ordinary.

areko79's avatar

Iran Iran

Opium pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Most of the Yves Saint Laurent are not for me, because they are strong & old. for example:
    Jazz, Kouros, Opium, etc...
    Opium is spicier version of Obsession by Calvin Klein,, very ambery & very strong.
    YSL is great factory but i don't like it's products.

Kotori's avatar

Organza Indécence by Givenchy

This is pretty. I owned a mini, and I wore it a few times, then gave it away. There was too much amber. My skin tends to turn amber sweet, and amber is sweet, anyway. This just got heady on me.