Fragrance Reviews from September 2006

Hot Couture by Givenchy

I owned this for awhile, but something about it wasn't quite right. Something about the sweetness of it and the spiciness didn't mix well. It is either too spicy or too sweet for what it is trying to be.

Omnia by Bulgari

This is a dry oriental. It begins with an intense, spicy, delightfully complex tea scent. However, the dry down is very flat, and it dries down within about 30 minutes. On my skin, at least, it becomes boring at that point, and almost masculine. Although the opening is lovely, the drydown discourages me from a purchase.

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

I see that many of the reviewers primarily notice rubber in Bvlgari Black, but I do not notice rubber at all! It is definitely an unusual scent, and far more masculine than feminine. I love to smell this on a man. It is woody and aromatic, with the slightest tinge of aniseed (although I don't know if aniseed is actually in it). It is sexy and mysterious, and its name is fitting.

Narciso Rodriguez for Her by Narciso Rodriguez

Ooh... This is one of those that just feels like a knock in the head! Must be the jasmine... but like Fracas, Songes, Chloe Narcisse, and some others, I just get an instant, pounding headache!

Its scent reminds me very much of a girl I once knew who wore cheap floral body sprays and constantly talked on a cell phone.

Gucci Eau de Parfum II by Gucci

Gucci Eau de Parfum II is a perfume I have toyed with owning for some time now. I suppose that when my current Escada limited edition runs out, that might be the time. This reminds me of an Escada summer fragrance with its use of berries and sweet florals, but it is much drier than Rockin' Rio, Island Kiss, and the like. It is a classier fruit scent, with a lot of powder and a significant amount of musk. I am in my mid-twenties, and I find that it appeals most to my age group. Again, sweet, but endearing. It won't knock you off your feet, nor does it really seduce, but it does make you feel rather light.

Voile de Jasmin by Bulgari

I bought this for my mother-in-law. She loves it!! It is a soft, wearable jasmine scent, with an airy quality. It is a very universally appealing scent that speaks with a delicate voice.

damianclark76's avatar

Tumulte pour Homme by Christian Lacroix

Bought this one blindly off strawberry net, because we liked the bottle.
    it's definitely a winter perfume. Love all that cedar.... quite sexy....

Turkish Hookah Dancer's avatar

The Dreamer by Versace

On my (female) skin, the juniper and some strong orange/mandarin and high pitched musk notes mix into a cloying mess that reminds me of Goo Gone (a solvent for removing gluey guck made with orange oil and something like acetone. Great product! Doesn't smell too good.). These top notes just do not let go, and nothing else in the composition comes through.

Turkish Hookah Dancer's avatar

Tabaco Latino by Monotheme

I agree with Peter. This fragrance is just hellish. like a hairy Marlboro smoker doused in Curve and industrial strength men's-bathroom air freshener, who's been wearing the same orange floral print pollyester shirt for a week.

Lolita Lempicka by Lolita Lempicka

Wish it worked on me, but can't say that it did. Gave both me and my b.f. terrible headaches -- we had to give our bottle away. The friend we gave it to -- guess what? -- started getting awful headaches himself.

Giving this one a "neutral," as all three of us got compliments on the scent, but -- alas -- had to put up with splitting headaches between the compliments.

Blue Jeans by Versace

Very brisk, clean fragrance, and it can be had for cheap. (Picked up my last bottle for about sixteen bucks at a local Ross store.)

Make fun of it all you want, but I like it a lot and always get lots of good remarks after I spritz it on.

Burberrys for Men (Original) by Burberry

What a crying shame that Burberry's would discontinue this gem and then release the swill they now sell (Brit aside). One of my three all time favorites, this one. Again, what a pity.

JHL by Aramis

Along with the original Burberry's for Men (blue box, now discontinued) and Creed's scrumptious Millesime Imperial, this scent finishes off the holy trinity of fragrances that I consider my all-time favorites.

It's Cinnabar with more panache and far more complexity. Music in a bottle? You bet.

Trussardi Uomo by Trussardi

About as good as it gets among Eighties fragrances -- a personal favorite, in fact -- right up there with the original Burberry's for Men, Halston 101 and Antaeus. Goes on a tad strong for me, but drys down to a great, crisp fragrance in no time. Nice, too, that it's still available after all these years.

cristiri's avatar

Aqua Allegoria Flora Nerolia by Guerlain

I absolutely love this fragrance! Very few scents smell good on me after the first few minutes, but this one does. Though sweet, the scent is never too strong.

Unicara's avatar

Finland Finland

Versus Donna by Versace

I have never got anything else but positive feedback when wearing Versus Donna! I LOVE this parfum & haven't found anything to replace it after its production stopped some years ago... ;)

TaoLady's avatar

Casmir by Chopard

Wandered into some scent shop in snooty Bryn Mawr PA ten or twelve years ago and bought this fragrance on the basis of a blotter sniff and have bought two more bottles since. Takes me right to Arabee - wherever that is. Got intially blown away by the peachy, flowery heaviness - and what remains is almost pure sandalwood. But then our bodies are so fickle. When I first encountered MaGriffe (could it be 50 years ago?!)it smelled like cat's - - - - on me - now it settles into a nice warmth. Go figure.

TaoLady's avatar

Champs-Elysées by Guerlain

Oh, this fragrance is SO bubbling fountains in the sunlight. The carousel - the venodrs selling those lattice work cookies - the beeping horns. I MEAN. For me this is one everyone wants to know what it is. Course I love florals and the bottom not rose is what stands out and lasts on me.

Ken_Russell's avatar

Romania Romania

Denim by Denim

All in all affordable yet exquisite leathery. Quite similar to Azzaro pour homme- of course cheaper and without its lasting power. However being quite contemporary they have similar notes of lavender, amber and cedar, in quite similar combination. Powdery and woody drydown, and, in spite of the name, not quite casual, rather a classic.

06 September, 2006 (Last Edited: 13 June, 2012)

Mario Justiniani's avatar

Cuba Cuba

Aramis 900 by Aramis

Somewhere between a funeral home, a rose garden and The Sahara.

This juice is Solemn with a capital S. I do not know if the 'masculine' feel comes from the dryness, or the medicinal, almost barbershop scent.

It's odd that we smell roses at all, since it has none. More rose than Egoiste, which does.

Why not a thumbs up? Objectively it deserves it but I've come to the conclusion that, with notable exceptions, I don't really care for herbal scents. And medicinal-herbal still less

07 September, 2006 (Last Edited: 04 August, 2009)

Clayton's avatar

Nostalgia by Santa Maria Novella

A truly curious entry that opens up with an unabashed tribute to fresh rubber cement. I wish I could say that it stays this brave to the bitter end, but the adhesive is too rapidly swept aside in favour of noncommittal vanillic leather with a pale wash of generic fruitiness over the top.

Paris by Yves Saint Laurent

Memories of being smothered by fumes on a bus bound for the City in the 1980's. Everyone was wearing, or one of it's clones, and it was all too much for me. I still can't get past the sour opening note when I catch a whif of this.

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Wow, this one has illicited a few negative reactions.
    I actually find it very good on my skin, however, my skin is a freakish chemical laboratory which has weird chemical reactions with every fragrance I put on it....................
    Just bear in mind that the same chemical which gives red wine it's character is the chemical responsible for smelly socks so peoples sensitivites to certain notes in any fragrance can provoke a negative association.

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Powerful- yep
    long lasting- My word
    sexy- matter of opinion perhaps
    wearable- not on me!
    I think the frachises on this one have been a lot more palitable and despite comments to the contrary I think Body Kouros carries off the fundamental notes very well.
    At least it provokes a reaction whether it be good or bad!

Vetyver Lanvin (original) by Lanvin

Why resist it? Guerlain is the master of Vetyver.

Rive Gauche pour Homme Intense by Yves Saint Laurent

This is a bit like a characture of the original. It has taken some of the most recognisable notes and amplified them without losing the instant recognisableness (did I just make up a word?) of it's original. Still though, if you struggle with the EDT, don't go near this one

shadesofbleu's avatar

Passage d'Enfer by L'Artisan Parfumeur

It took three wearings before I found love with PdE. At first, I didn't smell a drop of incense, it was all lily to me. On that magical third wearing, I applied lavishly, and that is the secret to me anyway.

Oh, the lily is still there all right, it adds a touch of innocence to the sexiness of the incense. It's sexy, but not in-your-face-sexy. It keeps the incense cool, just below a simmer. To me, it is like being in the back of the Church - making out with an altar boy!

Cassini for Men by Oleg Cassini

Can't but wonder how one can mix so many ingredients into something so non-descript. Kinda fresh, kinda sweet, kinda spicy. Plain boring.

Woodhue for Men by Fabergé

A word of warning for mad-eyed vintage fragrance hounds. I bought this on eBay, after some effort and at a price. Completely original, part of a beautifully packaged gift set (that also included Aphrodisia and Act IV), dating back to early seventies by the looks of it. I can't give this one a definitive thumbs-down because of old age (of the fragrance), but the Woodhue I had (and the other two) exuded that musty-dusty, old-lady-boudoir smell typical of many vintage mid-market fragrances, kind of the same note that you can faintly discern (albeit in a much more refined form) in Derby or Ho Hang.

DKNY Energy Men by Donna Karan

Not just green - acid green. Nearly as vicious in its initial harsh dry thwack as the suffocating One Man Show. Syrupy sweet at the same time. Interesting, but not very wearable, unless you are a college student on a Friday night out.