Fragrance Reviews from September 2006

phibess's avatar

Boss Bottled by Hugo Boss

Can't believe how good this juice is and how come I'd always ignored this - I guess because it's just Hugo Boss.. Had it been a niche frag more people here would have sung odes about this I suppose. The scent is so smooth and silky. Even better that the similar Endymion and has a decent longevity too. Silk in a bottle.

areko79's avatar

Iran Iran

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

I think Bvlgari Black is masculin & not feminine.
    Tea for Two is the best unisex fragrance for me but Bvlgari Black worth to have.
    it's a bit like Body Kouros but Bvlgari Black is more refined than Body Kouros.
    it is elegant & good longevity,, black tea makes it balanced.
    i have always like tea notes.

areko79's avatar

Iran Iran

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

Each time spray it, it is different for me.
    a complex fragrance & i think lemon & tobacco in this fragrance are dominant.
    classic scent by Italian designer that's unique.
    one of the most special in 90's.

everyman's avatar

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

When I first smelled it, I was one of the people that gagged. I hated it. I found it repulsive. But recently, as I found Basenotes, I opened my mind to all fragrances and decided to give A*men another try. I actually got a sample of it, without even asking from Nordstroms. Luckily I read Stuffman's comments. I did exactly what he said and held it way way back from my body and sprayed it, rather than saturating my arm up close. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! I fell madly in love with it. I cannot believe it, actually. I know crave it. It's one of my most favorite fragrances. So I had some kind of divine angelic intervention with this cologne. I never would have believed I could go from vile hatred to total love. So, I really can relate to everybody's feelings about this cologne. I have been in both camps. But, I don't relate to it as a gourmand, even. I just feel so amazing when I wear it, like no other scent I have ever experienced. No one is more surprised than I am.

Brit by Burberry

Out of all the burberrys I have sampled this is my favorite one. Smells very feminine. Have gotten alot of good comments while wearing it.

Romance Tender Notes by Ralph Lauren

This is my second favorite fragrance. It is a must try.

Fierce for Men by Abercrombie & Fitch

I love the way this this smells on a man VERY SEXY!

Envy In The Sun by Gucci

You can';t put too much of this on because it has a very loud smell to it and more than enough it will will smell like you have too much on. Has a rose smell to it.

Fantasy by Britney Spears

I was hesitant to thry this at first because it was by britney spears but I have to say it smells ver sweet and sexy. Lovin it.

Odeur 71 by Comme des Garçons

i tasted it recentrly and i have to say initially the perfume reminds me a bit the other Odeur, like dark and stony and dusty, but then changed radicly in an must more cleaner and attractive fragance made of thounsands of different notes but smeled just two:
    flowery lemon plus clean fresh air.
    Unfot. the smell vanish in seconds, doesn´t matter where you spray it :(
    so, I´m really sorry but neutral one.

parfums*PARFUMS Series 6 Synthetic: Dry Clean by Comme des Garçons

i love it!, its just pure clean ozonic air captured in a bottle!.
    give it a try!

parfums*PARFUMS Series 6 Synthetic: Tar by Comme des Garçons

So far, is as extreme and individual as A*Men :)
    It´s distintive and definitevely not for overyone.
    VERY UNUSUAL AND DELICIOUSLY KINKY ;)
    I´m consider myself quite a trendy person, sometimes in a extreme nice way but i wouldn´t find any ocassion that i could wear it.
    For indoors use only.
    It smell powerfull but subtle in a way,
    inicitially very strong smell of pure asphalt plus smoky dusty air, Kerosene. Basicly the smell run all over the fragance.. The dry down is more gentle and the gasoline mixed with tar rest in a ood citric way.
    its so difficult to explain but seems odd and disturbing smell, I find it myself pleasant but unwearable

parfums*PARFUMS Series 6 Synthetic: Soda by Comme des Garçons

absolutely delicious!!!:)
    Smells like something citric like yuzu or lime in a metallic way floating in a base of clean rubber, not strong: (do you renember when you were a child and you were soaking in the pool in the garden and you used the float?), well, that exactly the smell: clean tender blueish rubber :):)
    It´s a fab long lasting ozonic clean and cheerfull scent
    :):):)

Canoé by Dana

For me, the tonka dominates to the point of making this inexpensive classic pretty linear. (On the other end of the price scale, Thierry Mugler's frightfully abysmal A*Men does the same thing, only with more brutal force and the killing power of tar and chocolate thrown in.)

WANT to like Canoe, yes, but the strong tonka-ish notes just take it from powdery to overpowering in my book. I like powdery, less expensive fragrances quite often -- hence my fondness for Jockey Club and Tabac. Still, Canoe just goes a bit over the top for my body chemistry.

Giving it up a "thumbs up" only because a) most people DO like it more, and b) it's a great bargain, and c) I understand that my body chemistry may be very different from everyone else's.

English Fern by Penhaligon's

Classic fougere at its English best. FAR different from the hordes of "clean" scents on today's markets, though. MUCH better. Great stuff, albeit expensive.

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

Along with Polo and Gentleman, this one is NOT to be over-applied (lest one wish to be murdered by one's co-workers, that is). Great stuff when applied sparingly, but sheer toxic waste when applied with a trowel and a towel.

Perry Ellis for Men (original) by Perry Ellis

Oh, for heaven's sake . . . I for one happen to LOVE this scent. It DOES have some massive sillage, though, so be forewarned. And I'll agree, too, with the reviewer who warned that this one might not be for those under 30. All that said, it's a lovely winter fragrance, with lots of spice and "bite" so lacking in most of today's pathetically bland, "clean, lean and marine" offerings.

Visit by Azzaro

Nice fragrance -- very "solid" as one reviewer put it. Good buy, too. For an even less expensive and slightly greener variant, try "Diesel Green" by Diesel.
    Still don't like this one as well as Azzaro Pour Homme, but it's pretty darn nice for the price.

Tabac Original by Mäurer & Wirtz

Don't look at the price tag and assume anything -- this is a classic scent for very good reason. Picked up a huge bottle recently for under $20.00, and it (as always) has been consistently wonderful.

Diesel Green Masculine by Diesel

What's all the fuss about? It's really just a slightly greener and less expensive version of "Visit" by Azzaro, and that one has gotten fairly good Basenotes reviews. Think that some folks just don't like the trendiness of Diesel, ergo the bad reviews by some.

Kiehl's Original Musk by Kiehl's

Don't understand all the negativity toward s Kiehl's here. Musc Ravageur it's not, true, but it's also not $150 a bottle, either. For the price, I think it's a very pleasant little scent. It's a tad heavy on the sweet incense notes at first, but this dries down quickly into a classic animalic musk.

Mandragore by Annick Goutal

Neutral on this one -- pick it out if you like bright florals masquerading as citruses, or vice versa. I for one can't smell the spice here. It's just a little too citrusy and feminine for my taste (and Eau Sauvage is a personal favorite).

Bouquet di Violette by Borsari

Painfully strong, spicy notes here -- really too much. Smells almost identical to Halston (Original) for Women -- an acquired taste itself.

srajguru's avatar

West Indian Limes by Truefitt & Hill

Great refreshing and clean smell that lasts for about 4 hrs.

breapowell's avatar

Forbidden Fruit by Desperate Housewives

I got a sample of this with my DH Season 2 Box Set and I was like WHAT DH is making a perfume? As soon as i peeled the scent strip back I was inticed. This fragrance is absolutely phenomenal. It is not intense, but it last for a good while. I believe you can still only buy is at Macy's and it is fairly priced! Will continue to buy, definitly a must if you are going on a date... Your date will not be able to resist you and probably want to gobble you up!! The fragrance smells really fruity, apples, of course, but not an overwhelming "fruity". Just right!

Dune pour Homme by Christian Dior

This is an awesome fragrance. I agree it does not last too much, but it is so natural, so subtle, yet sensual. I perceive that it is a viable alternative to Acqua di Gio and other fresh-aquatic scents that are so popular. You can wear it whenever you wish,wherever you wish. By the way, girls love it!

David Beckham Instinct by Beckham

It is too clasic for me, not very long lasting, too bitter and also not a very original piece.I do not find it sexy, and so its name it is not very appropriate.it should be named Antique or sthing like that

Very Irrésistible for Men by Givenchy

It is absolutely awesome.It is just me:). It matches perfectly with my skin, it is very rare(especially in Romania where everyone wants Fahrenheit or Armani),and also natural. Both energising and relaxing, with an aura of seduction.If you want to be unique,try it

BlueDevilSF's avatar

Fire Island by Bond No. 9

I've waffled on this scent ever since I got it. My first impression was really enthusiastic, so much so I shelled out the bucks for the smaller bottle. I wore it once and liked it just as much as I did when I sampled it. Then the next time, I didn't like it so much. Then I started liking it again. I can't explain it.

Then I realized what I truly like about this scent: As the name implies, it is a bright, sunshine-y fragrance, but it definitely has a carnal, animalistic subtlety to it from the musks. It is a well-balanced scent that doesn't change character like some of the other Bonds I've tried.

I think it smells best after it's been worn for a few hours...and it lasts a long time.

08 September, 2006

MFfan310's avatar

Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier

After waiting and waiting for the official US market launch of the stuff (which was delayed no fewer than three times), I decided to break down and swap for a bottle of Gaultier² with another Basenoter. Given my love of sugary-sweet gourmands, I wasn't a bit surprised that I like it a lot. It is a different scent... sorta sweet and bubblegumy, with a hint of spice a la Frederic Malle's Musc Ravageur. The bubblegum you smell at first in Gaultier² isn't Bazooka or Dubble Bubble, though... it's Grape Bubblicious. But that's A-OK by me... I love grape bubblegum anyway. Oddly enough, by the time I started truly loving Gaultier², it officially showed up in the US at Sephora and Macy's. Good thing, because that body lotion in the lineup sounds tempting...

08 September, 2006