Fragrance Reviews from September 2006

Serenella's avatar

Love In White by Creed

Creed may not be among my favourite perfumes at all, but I love and sometimes use a few of their fragrances.
    This Love in White, however, is so digusting it makes my skin crawl: I can feel no Iris, no Rose, no Amber, no Vanilla as there should be - just a face-punching kind of rotten ginger swallowing up every other note that might be part of the fragrance. It reminds me of dirty rags in a kitchen sink, when they become muddy with dampness. It is aso obvious that, in such case, a remarkable persistance adds up to the negative impression.
    I am sorry to be so hard in judging a perfume, but it is REALLY the worst perfume I ever smelled in my whole life! :(

Serenella's avatar

Matin Calin Sugar Milk / Lait Sucré by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

I had been looking for the real scent of sugary milk for ages, ending up bitterly disappointed every time a so-called "milky" perfume hit my nose with the most banale and heartless room-deodorizing-vanilla kind of notes.
    Then I bumped into Matin Calin one December morning: it was a true epiphany! A fabulously warm fragrance with nothing out of place, where the scent of milk is the real thing, and not some "well, it reminds of vanilla, and vanilla sort of goes into cookies, which are supposed to be dipped into milk, so you SHOULD agree that this is a milk-related perfume, you know?" useless philosophy.
    Matin Calin keeps its promises and really gives you the same feeling you might experience when your face is right over a bowl full of boiling, sweet 3.5%-fat milk.
    The perfume's texture itself is sort of creamy and white, you could almost believe that there is no alcohol in it.
    Definitely one of my favourites!

smellygirl's avatar

Marc Jacobs for Men by Marc Jacobs

As a woman, I gotta say that I LOVE this on a man. It a scent that I've got to lean in close to really get a good whiff of and it makes me think of how good your skin must smell. Colognes that smell strongly of cologne....that "lasting power guys love? Overrated. I want to smell your skin, but better. Thats why women love this one.

Old Spice Herbal by Shulton

uh, sorry no. This smells too herbal, and has that weird synthetic smell. Just tried it on recently at a friends house. Better to stick with the original Old Spice.

Voleur de Roses by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Refreshing like rain after the heat,
    soft yet tenacious and strong too...
    Unusually evocative..

Voleur De Roses, or "Thief of Roses", is a fragrance whose intention is to evoke the smell of earth and rainfall mixed with the fragrance of fresh roses. It does start off smelling pretty good - upon initial application, you can smell a rich, wet rose and earthy patchouli in equal doses. After a few minutes, the composition becomes more earthy, and slightly sweeter...perhaps its that plum note. As time goes on, you can smell the rose fade further and further into obscurity, and smell the patchouli take over...I think L'Artisan are referring to the patchouli note as the "Thief of Roses", because that note makes away with the rose note pretty fast. While you are robbed of your rose note smelling pleasure, the earthiness which was so enchanting just a few minutes ago is also slowly drifting away. About an hour later, what you are left with is a heavy dose of patchouli. 3 hours later, you can barely smell this on your skin. "Voleur de wallet", more like it.

To L'Artisans credit, they actually classify this as a "precious woods" fragrance, so their intention wasn't to create a full blown rose scent. If you are looking for a varied patchouli fragrance, this will please you. You wont be pleased with this if you are seeking a complex rose fragrance. For all others, try it and see how it works; it can go either way.

WCW Nitro for Men by WCW

Got a sample of it. Decided to review it. Smells pretty generic with absolutely no distinguishing character. Longevity is almost non-existent. This makes my Michael Jordan Cologne look niche.

jerd's avatar

Blenheim Bouquet by Penhaligon's

I love this junk. Yes, it's obnoxious. Pine, lemon, cedar, thyme? It's pretty specific, but it's like a cleansing hot towel, or handi-wipe (I mean that in the positive sense). I like to wear this in the evening, after a hot shower after a hard day at work. It's refeshing, soothing, and turns into a clean masculine scent. Top marks.

Acier Aluminium by Creed

Very unusual scent. I find it very hard to place what exactly is going on with this scent. I found that it has an initial somewhat sour/bitter note, which then drys into something more tolerable.

I'm not sure if this will be a scent if I purchase or not. It's unique to say the least.

Himalaya by Creed

This is a great scent, I got multiple compliments the first night I wore it. I found it unusual that the complimenters they said it was a very masculine scent, as this one is branded Unisex.

I can see the similarities b/t this and the XS, but I think I would purchase this scent over the XS, as this scent has much longer staying power compared to the XS.

I found this scent to be fairly weak in strength (maybe an older bottle) but it sure stuck for a long time.

I'd definitely pick it up again.

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

I picked up a tester of this, and thank god I did that before I purchased a bottle of M7. I guess I can't quite get around the harsh synthetic nature of the scent. To me it reminds me of one of those fragrances you get at a Car Wash when you are vacuuming out your car and have the option to spray fragrance into the carpet.

Now its not a completely bad scent, but wow, it made 2 different girls I let smell it nauseous and I actually took a shower to get the scent off me.

This is definitely a "try before you buy" fragrance, and quite frankly I don't anticipate myself ever buying this scent. I have trouble imagining women enjoy this scent as well.

vadim's avatar

Russian Federation Russian Federation

Acqua di Selva by Visconti di Modrone

Very average to my nose - too much soap and feigned nobleness. Seems pine is as difficult to capture in a scent as it is to achieve a raspberry flavor in food that wouldn't taste fake and plasticky. I've tried a lot of scents in my quest for True Pine and haven't found any yet that I would like whole-heartedly. Selva comes close to both Agua Brava and Pino in that you can tell from the first whiff it's a budget fragrance (not that it's bad in itself, but I don't think budget works with pine). There are Blenheim and Creed's Epicea on the other end, but I find both too pretentious and sweet. Polo and Bowling Green are solid scents in their own right, but neither one is exactly pine. The only one I did like was Knize Forest, but it also has a lot more going on in there than just pine. In short, if what you want is pine, go for essential oils.

vadim's avatar

Russian Federation Russian Federation

New York by Nicolaï

A bit of a misnomer. If this is New York, then the Eagles are raw delta blues. This one doesn't evoke any New York images in me, except maybe 5th Avenue or downtown slackers in cashmere turtlenecks. A fleeting citrus note quickly taken over by cloying powder. Cacharel, in my opinion, is a much better choice if you want something warm, sweet and seductive.

ToadKings's avatar

Magnetism for Men by Escada

Magnetism is a scent that is not afraid to push the boundaries and see how far it can take a fruity scent. Now, I usually don't like fruit smelling colognes but the sweetness in this scent is wrapped up in a a metallic vibe that makes it very two-faced but in a good way. This is the perfect scent for a night of bar hopping and clubbing, but can be used effectively on a one on one date. The smell of this scent pulls girls into my magnetic force field and never lets them go.I really love how this colognes progresses through many stages in it's journey. It starts off smelling like sweet shiny grapes that makes a bold impact. When it moves on to the middle notes you got more a woody feeling but you can still smell those sweet shiny grapes that makes the scent what it is. The notes in this cologne contrasts each other very nicely and one is never over powering of the other. A very well made scent from start to finish that I would recommend to anyone from 18-33 that wants to make a bold statement.

phibess's avatar

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

Bad stuff. Smells like some bathroom cleaner and limescale remover and what's worse this is what every high school macho puts on before he goes to a party. DG Homme, hair gel and golden chain. Synthetic and embarrassing. Avoid it.

Zupa`Mario's avatar

Lithuania Lithuania

Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Have to say this is very strange fragrance to me but i love it

Sicily by Dolce & Gabbana

When I asked my mother what she wanted for christmas she told me she wanted this perfume. She loves it, she says she smells hint of coconut in it and thats just a delightful exotice blend of fragrences. I think it smells really nice, but isn't really my type of perfume to wear on a daily basis, it is sort of strong, I would wear it on certain occasions, and my mother would wear it on a daily basis. I would recommend buying this perfume, however I would suggest if you are picky that you sample it first.

Acqua di Giò by Giorgio Armani

I love this scent. It is very fresh and clean~~ I would categorize this as a "marine" scent. It's very refreshing and doesn't give me a headache at all. It's great for all year round, but especially fitting for the spring and summer. I definitely recommend Acqua di Gio for those in search for a clean and light smelling perfume.

Only Givenchy by Givenchy

It is a beautifully fresh, young, green-floral that's perfect for day wear. On top of that, the bottle is so stylish - reminds me of babies, springtime, and high fashion all at once. Must have!

T Girl by Tommy Hilfiger

It smells very fresh with bright and strong citrus notes while still managing to smell clean. It's much simpler and lighter than other perfumes and as such, I have found that it doesn't always last for a very long day.

Allure Homme by Chanel

This is a beautiful, feminine scent. A grown up vanilla based floral with a spicy kick! It's very sexy and sweet and the lasting power is amazing! This dries down to a wonderful skin scent that can be detected on me even the next day! It's my favorite Chanel fragrance.

Envy Me 2 by Gucci

After Victoria Secret discontinued their signature fragrance I had a hard time finding another scent I loved to wear every day. It's is soft, sexy and makes everyone ask what it is you're wearing. It is not the kind of perfume that arrives five minutes before you do like so many others. This is not a loud perfume at all.

Azzemour by Crabtree & Evelyn

Very linear. Could have been another Arabie with more work, but came out smelling like a boring, one-note version of Mitsouko (or something) instead.

Flora Danica by Royal Copenhagen

This was such a powdery, luscious floral. WHY did RC ever discontinue this gem?

Armani Eau Pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

I love the spicy middle notes in this tried-and-true classic. Were it not for those wonderful spices, the neroli and the oakmoss would definitely take charge and make this into a banal-smelling potion.

Thumbs up for the best Armani out there!

Sienna by Crabtree & Evelyn

Very nice -- possibly C&E's best yet. Bakhmet's right, though -- not a summery scent at all.

TaoLady's avatar

Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès

Opened up with a blast of citrus and...???...lead pencils? Settled quickly into the Arabian-nightsy frankincensey/wooden whatever. In the EDT didn't last at all well. After the hype, a bit of a disappointment.

Nlb's avatar

Hanae Mori (new / Butterfly) by Hanae Mori

At first spray, Hanae Mori "Butterfly" seemed pleasant but common enough. My jerk reaction: "Ah, another fruity gourmande scent". Although "HMB" was released amongst the cellophane freshness of '90s scents(reaching for chypre),the current market hasn't been lacking in those fragrances with "yummy" appeal.

Given this, I was a bit quick to disregard it and sniff onto the next.Things would've gone as usual, except...

"Hanae Mori" grew on me--hauntingly,in a sense. Without my realizing it,the smell developed like some luscious dessert baking on my skin. I would catch drifts of the creamiest, tartest confection I could ever conjure--it couldn't have seemed more provocative if it had a "drink me" sign floating above it, or had been sniffed out by truffle swine.

Just before I could grow sick of it's honeyed-sweetness, flashes of wood and sunlight sparked in my head and I felt like I was walking out of a hayfield into a forest.Berries and bark swirled my cilia, until I reached a dusky dry place, that manifested as...dried leaves...or the pollenesque wings of a butterfly. Amazing, really.

So that is what "Hanae Mori" is to me; flowerbuds in spring, the overipe sweetness and solar haze of summer, the spicy crispness of autumn, the luminous snowbank or holiday pie baking in the oven. It is a rare violin, an ancient nordic church on a hill of berries, the aura around a child amongst cherry blossoms or pop star posters in a plastic house. "Hanae Mori" is every story and will end up seeming all the more extraordinary because of it. It's sort of like becoming friends with a rare and unusual person--the kind you weren't sure you could trust at first, simply because she seemed too patient and gosh darn sweet.

colormechris's avatar

Monogram by Ralph Lauren

I remember when this one was launched and a girl in the department store practically leaping on me to try it. I did and although I'm a huge RL fan I was not impressed. I thought the bottle was beautiful though. When it disappeared I was curious because Ralph almost never has a flop so I asked around. I remember hearing from someone in the store that Monogram had actually been recalled. Apparently there was something in the blue dye that caused a rash or allergies in a lot of people, so they pulled it. I don't know if this is true, but it would go a long way towards explaining why it so thoroughly disappeared. I'd love to smell it again and see if I liked it now, but alas. Ahh, Monogram, we hardly knew ye.

coastfansocal's avatar

Amber & Lavender by Jo Malone

Complete and total masculinity!

This is a perfect scent for a man. If you like "manly smells" This is it. None of this rootie tootie fresh and fruity notes-no vanilla, fig, sugar, chocolate, etc.

This cologne reminds me of..

minty shave cream
    green after shave lotion
    coming out of the barber shop with my dad as a kid..

This is the epitome of a manly man. I dont think its really unisex. To say this is to be worn for a woman is just wrong. Everywhere I go women say "damn what are you wearing"

IF you want a classy male fragrance, this is it..

IF you like Tuscany, Creed Bois du Portugal, Antaeus by Chanel and Allure for men you will love this one

coastfansocal's avatar

Armani Eau Pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

This is not bad, but its not great.

In all honesty its very lemony, fresh, light and kind of basil mixed in. Its a refreshing nice scent, its masculine, but not quite manly man.

Its a great every day scent if you like refreshing but are sick of all the hugo's, aqua di gio, tommys and trendy new stuff out there.

Its great for every day but for an evening out or a classy fragrance this isnt it. If you want something light and different, this is the one.