Fragrance Reviews from January 2007

Ken_Russell's avatar
    Ken_Russell
    Romania Romania

cK one by Calvin Klein

I never was a fan of CK scents and even less of unisex creation which are marketed as yothful, but often lack imagination, distinction, or even lasting power...But i almost accidentally stumbled upon this one and was, if not impressed, still somehow relieved and almost pleasantly influenced. I mean, this one truly smelled cleaner and less unisex, less experimental than i expected. It has a rather cheap smelling, but clean allround impression and its notes are fruity, powdery, yet not overdone, intelligently balanced by citrus. Actually, quite close to Acqua di Gio, Creed's Royal Water, Quasar or some Kenzo creation( i just mentioned a very uneven range of scents, but they truly have all something in common), the citrus note is here not zesty or chypre, but rather restrained, mellow, sweeter than usuallly and drawn- never to stand out- in a cocktail of watery( both aquatic and watered down) " clean" smells- youthful, rather light and uncomplicated never capable to turn dark or leathery. A certain relaxing fresh quality, combined with a slightly powdery, yet still not heavy background. Would most likely not be worn by me, but not a bad( but not outstanding, radically exquisite) scent either.

Ken_Russell's avatar
    Ken_Russell
    Romania Romania

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

I first viewed this scent as an artwork, but also a novelty, even if perceived it too feminine. True, it really smelled like lipstick on my skin, but that peculiar kind of lipstick mixed with syrup and synthetic strawberry flavor. But just as i grew increasingly disappointing, it again turned into something different, woody and powdery, tough with a woody note reminiscent of dated scents and cheap deodorant sprays made ages ago, when they didn't protect against sweating, but just smelled intoxicating and alcoholic. Memories of sleazy yesterday's scents, combined with the utmost ( not only synthetic, but cruelly, banally vile) futuristic frenzy of artificial- and truly smelling so- of plastic, girl-boy scents and even something sulfurous or phosphorous, reminding of the smell of matches or firecrackers before and after burning. Still, daring, but failed combination, considering that one might expect more from Dior. Some notes are truly good tough, but only isolated from the entire combination they might have been worth something, because in the mixture, they are somewhere lost between the most creepy or unimpressive chemicals.

01st January, 2007 (Last Edited: 16 December, 2009)

Candy Perfume Boy's avatar
    Candy Perfume Boy
    England England

Libertine by Vivienne Westwood

My favourite fragrance of all time with the most perfect name! It's sparkling, fun, flirtatious and just so damn sexy! Like Vivienne Westwoods first perfume 'Boudoir' it is based around her favourite flower 'Viburnum'. Great for nights out or just for every day wear. If i could give it two thumbs up i would!

Candy Perfume Boy's avatar
    Candy Perfume Boy
    England England

B*Men by Thierry Mugler

I stumbled across this today, there was a gift set on sale, so thought i'd investgate alas to say I was pleasently surprised. I'm a big fan of most of Muglers perfumes (Alien, Angel and Cologne mainly) but not so much A*Men. Partly because i don't suit mens fragrances and partly because i find it too sickly sweet. So I tried this for the first time today, it's such a sexy, masculine smell like A*Men but without the sweetness spoiling it. This will be perfect for every day wear at work, or even for romantic wear, it has that sexy animalistc quality, that I think would be very sexy on the right man.

welson's avatar
    welson

Tuscany / Etruscan by Aramis

I have worn many fragrances but I always come back to Tuscany..a little sweetness, a little spicy, a little masculine..I love the scent, perfect and original, easily be my signature scent.

buyers_remorse's avatar
    buyers_remorse

Escentric 01 by Escentric Molecules

After reading about this new wave fragrance, and grave reviews I went out and purchased this. Do yourself a favour cut out the middleman get your £60 and throw it doen the gutter. Cant smell it, no one elses can and the bottle doesnt even come with a cap. RIP OFF!

buyers_remorse's avatar
    buyers_remorse

Molecule 01 by Escentric Molecules

sd1207's avatar
    sd1207

Realities (new) by Realities Cosmetics

I didn't find this fragrance strong at all. On me, it was rather subtle and quite nice. Very feminine and flowery.

Poivre by Caron

I went to this perfume looking for a "holy grail" carnation scent. However what I found was much more, and also somehow a little less. Poivre is spicy and sweet, calling to mind red hots at first, but it is seamlessly blended and progresses and morphs into other types of smell entirely on its strange journey. It remains warm throughout and clings to the skin, becoming an almost maternal smell, too familiar at first and then later, of course, it is a completely compelling and strangly pleasing smell of bandaide adhesive. So now I have scent I love, but it is completely different from what I thought I wanted. And when I wear it, it makes me forget completely about that silly carnation holy grail thing.

No. 5 by Chanel

Chanel No 5. The colors are honey amber and shocking rasberry pink. The smells are a creamy, almost fizzy butterscotch and smashed rasberries (no sugar) and also leather. I did not come to an understanding with this scent until my fourth decade. When I was younger, it wasn't attractive to me. Still, it's a classic so just to innoculate myself, I would periodically apply a small bit and forget about it. This is how I came to understand or at least appreciate this perfume.

Secret de Vénus by Weil

Very unique, in texture and look, more like an oil than a perfume. But offers the development of a perfume. Notes of spice, animal musk, something vaguely yeasty and bread like. I also thought of candied fruits, nut meats. All combine to create something like a deeply spiced fruit cake, with savory/sweet mincemeat hints. All combine to create a very cozy, comfy and intimate scent. Almost too rare to consider, so it is a shame to grow attached. Perhaps one of the new perfermers out there will create a dube for us.

Stelios_X_opa's avatar
    Stelios_X_opa

Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada

A little too powdery, and wears off too fast. Not for my taste anyways...

But with 70 Gift Sets off the shelves in a month... i'm not too sure anymore.

Stelios_X_opa's avatar
    Stelios_X_opa

Reaction Thermal for Men by Kenneth Cole

all i have to say is...

it smells like air.

Scentsibility's avatar
    Scentsibility

Knize Ten by Knize

Smells like a nasty old chamois that's been sitting in the garage for a few years, and has been used to wipe up EVERYTHING including WD-40 and motor oil. Horrible to me, but others seem to swear by it. I think it has that "Kouros" quality... some love it, and some love to hate it. I'm SO glad I sampled this one before buying blind!

Scentsibility's avatar
    Scentsibility

Cuiron Pour Homme by Helmut Lang

A Porsche body on a Pinto chassis. Oh it smells great all right, and longevity is fantastic, but where's the SILLAGE? A liberal application (4-5 spritzes) gets me 2 hours of very good sillage maximum. After 3 hours this one is almost nothing. DW said it smelled "delicious" on me, so I'm keeping my sample for intimate times. I may even buy a decant when it's gone, but I can't justify a full bottle purchase. I'd highly recommend it as a date scent though - light, masculine and inoffensive. If you only need a few hours this is a great one.

luckylouie's avatar
    luckylouie

Opium by Yves Saint Laurent

I was 13 when this perfume came out and I desperately wanted it. It was so daring. I told myself I loved it, forced myself to love it, but whilst I am an oriental lover, I cannot honestly say I love it. I can't honestly even say I like it.

In the past 30 years I have regularly sprayed both the extrait and the edt when at counters, and once again willed myself to love it, but alas it is not to be. This smells flat and monotonous on my skin, drying almost immediately to nothing more than sandalwood and vanilla. I hoped that as my body chemistry changed, it would smell better on me but it never has and I've decided to stop trying. Unfortunately people who know I love orientals but don't know me very well keep giving me the damned stuff.

Instead my husband wears it and I wear his Opium for Men which has become one of my favourite orientals. Now we both smell mysterious and sexy and no one ever guesses that we are wearing fragrances meant for the opposite sex.

Go figure.

luckylouie's avatar
    luckylouie

Tabac Original by Mäurer & Wirtz

This is a gloriously well balanced fragrance with excellent sillage. Although made for men it is one I love to wear in warmer weather when anything too floral is oppresive. Perfect for almost any occasion, and particularly appropriate as a compliment to a day in the great outdoors. Unfortunately it doesn't smell good on my husband. Oh well, I guess the bottle's mine now.

ironpusher's avatar
    ironpusher

Kiton Men by Kiton

I found this scent fairly unique and pleasant. I think it smells similar to "Unforgivable". I would definitely reccomend it to others. Difficult to find, but it is available at "Big Discount".

rk18's avatar
    rk18
    Abu Dhabi Abu Dhabi

Happy Heart by Clinique

Coming from a man's point of view i LOVE this perfume...a friend of mine wears this and I feel really attracted to her every time I get a whiff...great perfume for any woman.

Eklectic1's avatar
    Eklectic1

Soir de Paris / Evening in Paris (original) by Bourjois

My grandmother's forever dimestore favorite. She always had some of this stuff, in the little cobalt blue tasseled flacon or the bottle I was always knocking over on the dresser (luckily it was usually capped). If she wasn't wearing Avon something or other, it was this. I received it as gifts sometimes or was the recipient of extra stock she had. Strong and unmistakable stuff...suited her red-lipped, brunette personality. It definitely declares, "Here I am, and you'd better deal with me."

Eklectic1's avatar
    Eklectic1

Jungle Gardenia (original) by Coty

Horrifyingly strong stuff. My mother liked (still does, but it's easier to deal with these days) perfume that would knock you down. Among her various faves was this scary stuff. Back in the 70s I would practically pay her not to wear it. Yeah, it was Gardenia all right. Like a baseball bat to the nose! Excruciatingly sweet and cloying.

Adrienne Vittadini by Adrienne Vittadini

This is a cottony warm fragrance, that I've grown to have more respect for over the past year. It does have some slight similarity to Shalimar Light and I really enjoy that.

Amour de Cacao by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

I love this fragrance! It just melts on my skin the way chocolate truffles melt in my mouth. It's fabulously delicious and very much reminds me of the way Nutella smells from the jar. The original hazelnut spread with a chocolaty taste by Ferrero. Makes me feel like a kid at a carnival. EDIT 11-27-06: this is more as an aside but I had to comment: This fragrance lasts and lasts. It's funny, I felt compelled to reapply a million times through the day, but the whole room smelled like me. This is not one of those scents makes your skin smell intensely of the fragrance you applied, but literally the whole room will smell it.

Sensi by Giorgio Armani

This is a wonderful "Play-Doh" type scent that creamy and long-lasting. It slightly reminds me of Dior Addict but with less floral notes and more of that almondy something that caresses your skin and makes my hubby chase after me ;).

Champs-Elysées Too Much by Guerlain

I wore Champs Elysées, the original, about 10 years ago as one of my weekly rotation scents; this was back in the day when I owned only about 10 bottles of perfume. But I have to say that I've never received that many complements on any of my fragrances except maybe Samsara and Sun by Jil Sander at the time. Champs Elysées is so beautiful and passionate... I wore it for many years, then when 'Too Much Champs Elysées' came out I got a bottle of it instead of the original when I ran out, and for some reason the complements ceased to roll in. Even though I thought that Too Much was ‘identical’ to my original, (what did I know back then LOL), there was something missing and little by little, I almost forgot about my Champs Elysées original altogether. I also stopped wearing Too Much as well. It sort of got left behind. A little while ago I found the almost full bottle of Too Much and I remembered how much I loved and enjoyed the original Champs Elysées. Since then I’ve repurchased the original and I will not look back. I guess that Too Much just didn't work for me.

FlowerbyKenzo by Kenzo

I say that I would repurchase this, but I am not 100% sure that I would ever run out of it... if I do, I will be getting it again! I have FlowerbyKenzo, Bvlgari pour Femme and Lipstick Rose and they all satisfy the same craving for sugared violets. Now FLowerbyKenzo is the one I go to when I want something very gilry and pretty, youthful and soft. I know that I can wear this to the office without worrying I would offend anyone. It is slightly powdery and sweet on my skin and remains fresh for the duration. Not a baby-powder scent at all, I cannot stand the actual baby-powder scent, this in fact is very different kind of powdery - very lovely. I prefer to wear this during cooler months, especially love it in autumn. Of course I too would agree with others who say that this is one you should try on before buying blind...

MV2 by M.A.C

MV2 indeed is a yummy delightful scent; honey drizzled, warm and delicious. It feels like second skin, deliciously leaving behind me a sillage of sweet delight. It slightly reminds me of Pink Sugar but I find it more wearable, not as intense, not so much as cake-like. MV2 is something I would wear anytime, right for any occasion. This stuff just cannot be wrong. I love it.

Allure Sensuelle by Chanel

Allure Sensuelle is just that: Alluring and Sensual. From the moment I tested it I instantly knew that this was something I would enjoy for a long time, there’s not much of a guessing game with this one, you’ll either love it or you won’t. My DH loves it. My sister loves it. My co-workers love it. At the grocery store I get complimented on this fragrance, at the mall and at my hair-salon. Ok, so I think we’ve got a winner here, well, at least for me she is. I love the way it wraps around you, like a soft caressing shawl she stays close and warms you with her sweet breath. Allure Sensuelle has phenomenal staying power, fantastic sillage and makes me feel amazing whenever I have it on.

Armani Privé Cuir Améthyste by Giorgio Armani

I've sampled Privé Cuir Améthyste by Giorgio Armani and it's like we're not even talking about the same fragrance here; me and the previous reviewer Paschat. Paschat noticed a citrus opening, 'extremely overpowering', while to me Cuir Améthyste opening was a blast of pure creaminess, at once so unforgettable, and so delicious. Huge violets - again imagine Willy Wonka's garden here and the violet blossoms you would possibly find there... smothered in leathery creaminess... some incense and creamy streams of pure vanilla and powederiness... On my skin Cuir Améthyste lasted for hours and hours and as I was falling in love with it, my wallet let out a yelp knowing full well what was to come ;)

Coquette Tropique by Monyette Paris

This was the most delightful surprise. A wonderful swapper sent me this and Coquette Tropique won my heart in a heartbeat. Creamy, delicious, and adorable. Coquette Tropique is all that and more. I think it would be perfect for a summer vacation to an exotic spot, somewhere by the ocean with sea-breeze tangling my hair and sun browning my skin. This will be THE SCENT I'll bring to our next tropical vacation.