Latest Perfume Reviews

Shelter Island by Bond No. 9

I just started testing this one out.

After reading the other reviews, I feel like I'm missing the experience.

So, that's on me...

I'm not really getting Coppertone, lilies, ocean, oud...

Somebody mentioned lemon-pepper mix, and after smelling it with that in mind, I do get that...

This one reminds me a lot of Bond's Signature but just a bit more rough around the edges.

Thus far, this has eight reviews: and, they're all positive ratings.

I kind of hate to do this, but for honesty's sake, I have to go neutral on this one.

I'll spend more time with it and update here if it's warranted.

Brut by Fabergé

Stardate 20170330:

Fabrege Version:
When I was in middle school, my father got promoted to a new role in different part of the country. So when we were moving the main mover honcho was doing the dressing table and he saw my father's bottle of Brut. He did not know cologne and never wore them and so I spritzed some on him. He was happy and had a grin - a weird one.

A few days later when we were unpacking in our new home my father could not find his Brut. It never made it to our new place. My father chalked it up to things-that-go-missing-when-one-moves. I knew better.

To this day, whenever I smell Brut, I think of that episode in my life. I never could wear Brut since then. I recently got a Fabrege bottle for cheap (after Colin Maillard mentioned in one of the vintage threads ) hoping that I would be over it.
But no I still hate it.

But I love Rive Gauche PH - which is Brut minus Vanilla, SW, Ylang and Jasmine.
I think it is the vanilla and Ylang that make this fragrance a scrubber. They don't belong in this structure.

Gentlewoman by Juliette Has a Gun

I actually really enjoyed this scent. It's very fresh due to the citrus and blends wonderfully with sweeter scents. The combination with this and Mmmm was astounding. Mmm on its own was a dull affair but this lifted it to new heights.

On its own its strong for a fresh perfume, but it's pricey for what it is.

Mmmm… by Juliette Has a Gun

Opening was a bit flowery and fresh for a gourmande. Then it changes into a dupe for Kenzo Amour. Not paying tha money for an Kenzo Amour dupe

Queens by Bond No. 9

The opening was fruity and pleasant. You notice that there is more sweet underneath it and its far from bland and actually interesting. It's pleasant and reminded me of chinatown but maybe a bit turned down with blackberry instead of peaches.
It was nice but didnt blow me away

Givenchy III by Givenchy

The original formulation:
The opening represents one of the grand chypre moments of the 1970s: with a few olfactory brushstrokes only - mainly galbanum, a touch of bergamot, hints of orange - a crisp, fresh and bright impression of crytalline clarity is created, with all components combined masterfully. A revelation.

After a touch of orris appearing briefly, the drydown turns floral, with hyacinth and - to a letter extent - jasmine the foreground, whilst a darkish rose accent hovers beneath the floral carpet.

The base intrduces a rather restrained patchouli with a mossy touch here and there - the oakmoss is not very strong on my skin, and more integrated into the whole than egregiously prominent.

I get moderate sillage, excellent projection and six hours of longevity on my skin.

The opening of this spring creation is a classic and of iconic character, but the second half is a bit less intensive, less vivid and not up to the very high standard set by the opening notes in the beginning. Still, overall this is a great oeuvre. 4/5
30th March, 2017

Lolita Lempicka The Midnight Fragrance 2013 / L'Eau de Minuit by Lolita Lempicka

Most definitely a tad darker than the original Lolita. I consider it moody, gothic, mysterious in its mixture of ingredients. An embalming fluid for voodoo queens. Arcanum for an aging druidess.

1902 Tonique by Berdoues

This is a refreshing, light cologne. Perfect for summer or daywear. A spicy blend - the notes of lavender, lemon, vetyver, and bergamot are prominent. The dry down reveals a lime note. Tonic, indeed. Reminds me of my gin-drinking days of long ago.

Stash by Sarah Jessica Parker

The first note I get from this is fresh coconut flesh - specifically the sweet, nutty woodiness of coconut served in a half-shell - there's also a booziness and a twist of grapefruit, all of which sweeten a lovely light sage. Cedar is noticeable from the start and although I couldn't find pistachio, a nuttiness persists through the heart while the initial sweetness becomes warmer and more vanillic. I wasn't able to identify any specific florals, but there is an airy, floaty quality in the heart which definitely suggests their presence. Vetiver rises and falls throughout, ensuring that while this is always a fragrance with a sweet aspect, it never becomes an out-and-out sugar bomb - it's neither gourmand nor cloying. The base is a lovely warm, soft leathery wood which holds the composition together well through its transitions. It has great longevity (10+ hours on my dry skin) and decent projection well into the heart.
Stash is a super-versatile fragrance and I find it really easy to wear. It's aromatic enough to be worn as a masculine but sweet enough to be feminine, light enough to be worn in the daytime but interesting enough to be amped up with a few more sprays for the evening. I find it more comforting than it is sexy, but men enjoy this on me almost as much as I enjoy it on myself. I'd probably avoid wearing it in an office or very warm weather, but that aside, it's a real workhorse of a fragrance.
The most satisfying thing about Stash is its price point, it's superb value for money. Despite being a widely-available designer fragrance, it's not an obvious people-pleaser; I've never smelt it on anyone else, but it gets compliments and questions whenever I wear it. This has already become one of the half-dozen or so fragrances that I keep as staples, it's great stuff.
29th March, 2017

Very Irrésistible Harvest 2005 by Givenchy

On my skin this starts out with the rose, mixed with a bit of star anise and a green - darkish herbal undertone. The anise is not detracting from the rose very much; in this composition the supremacy and lead rôle of the rose is never seriously challenged.

The rose gets stronger. It is a medium dark, rich Bulgarian rose nut not very intensive; it has an elegant touch instead. A subtle touch of sweetish spiciness comes and goes in an unobtrusive manner over time.

In the base woodsy notes are added and mix with the rose; it is as if a large bunch of large stems of rose bushes are added that are wet after the rain.

I get moderate sillage, good projection and seven hours of longevity.

A beautifully balanced summer rose creation, using natural rose essence of a very high quality and displaying enough development to not be dull, although it is a tad linear at times. The anise is not too strong and has largely retreated from the heart notes onwards. Delightful. 3.5/5.
29th March, 2017

Mon Guerlain by Guerlain

I am not the best at reviews but I feel the need to step up on this one.
After the commercial I dutifully ordered a bottle being a Guerlain Junky. ( Vintage Guerlain in general).
So....
Not surprising that Mon Guerlain smells very ordinary and smells very much like something else on the market that I smell on people walking in the mall. Very Ordinary. Not bad or overwhelming.
It smells nice. But who wants nice?
The best thing about Min Guerlain is the commercials with Ms Jolie. If I wear this will people think I am as glamorous as she? Not. I think I will stick to Angelique Encens where I am quite sure people think I am as glamorous as Marlene Dietrich! Ha ha just kidding.

Organza Harvest 2005 by Givenchy

Building upon the original, the too notes here is a reasonable, albeit not particularly exciting honeysuckle impression that is not very sweet on my skin.

The core constituent is a delightful jasmine, quite discreet and with an ever so slightly earthy undertone at times, well executed but after the first couple of hours very close to my skin.

The base continues the jasmine theme, but there is a gently woodsy and slightly spicy character prresent now; mainly whiffs of cedar and a nutmeg impression to be more precise. Towards the end a faint vanilla, very restrained and not very sweet, is evident throughout the last couple of hours.

The sillage is soft, the projection adequate and the longevity six hours on my skin.

Whilst mostly not very exciting, the special hallmark of this spring-day creation is the very nice jasmine core, whose natural and high-quality ingredients push this scent across the line to achieve a positive score, in spite of the overall limited performance. For the lover of top-notch jasmine who is willing to re-apply repeatedly throughout the day, this scent might prove worthwhile. 3.25/5.

Lilac Love by Amouage

I like the house of Amouage, and I love floral, powdery heliotrope-driven perfumes, but Lilac Love did not work for me. It has all the elements that I like in this style of perfume, but it also has some other qualities that drive me nuts. I smell a gardenia note that I recognize from Elie Saab Le Parfum that unfortunately resembles Raid roach spray (Raid has a weird, almost-perfumey quality) to my nose. The powder sensation Lilac Love gives goes above and beyond the usual powder bombs I enjoy: smelling it makes me feel like my nose has become stopped up and numb at the same time (if you have ever gone near certain recreational substances, you'll know what I mean). And all of this seems piled on a laundry musk that feels out of place in a big floral perfume of this kind. So that's it for me--roach spray, cocaine, and dryer sheets all sort of piled on top of the powdery, almondy coziness of Lorenzo Villoresi's Teint de Neige with Amouage-quality power and tenacity--in other words, sort of like a bad acid trip that will not end.

Organza Harvest 2008 Fleur d'Oranger by Givenchy

A sweetish opening blast, mostly due to a pleasant honeysuckle that is a touch unexciting - less scintillating than, for instance, Creed's Chevrefeuille - but nonetheless well executed.

The core note develops very early in the drydown, a beautiful orange blossom that is rich, sunny and intense - a sheer delight. A touch of an orangey undertone is present, but in the base it is exchanged for a rather restrained tonka note.

In the end what remains is the orange blossom with the tonka fading out slowly. This is a successful pairing throughout; and it is never sticky or cloying.

I get moderate sillage, good projection and a very reasonable eight hours of longevity on my skin.

The one thing that is truly convincing in this summery evening creation is the gorgeous orange blossom centrepiece that elevates this scent into a higher tier of quality, not least due to the first-class natural ingredients used in this mix. Although maybe the whole is a touch too linear, the orange blossom wins the day. An orange blossom classic. 3.75/5.

Fille en Aiguilles by Serge Lutens

Stardate 20170327:

Incense, spices and sweetness (candied fruit ?).
What is not to like.
But the beauty of this fragrance is its balance. You have to try it to believe it.
These three accords play very nice with each other, making sure everyone is heard. One can isolate them enjoy them on their own. But you can also let them coalesce and smell their union - a rare thing in perfumery.

Organza Harvest 2006 by Givenchy

After a fresh opening blast of petit grain and neroli, a lovely orange blossom develops and take over as the main note. This orange blossom is of excellent quality and remains in the foreground until closer to the end; at times other white florals, mainly gardenia, are also evident.

In the second half a sweeter undertone develops, p pleasamt vanilla mainly, and woodsy components in the background deliver some counterbalance to the sweeter notes.

The sillage is moderate, the projection very good and the longevity nine hours on my skin.

This very pleasant spring creation lives by the high-quality orange blossom core. Never really very sweet on my skin, it is definitely worth a try. 3.5/5.

Wall Street by Victor

Crazy how good this is!
Truly one of the most masculine and cool scents ever. Makes me smile with every wearing....
Dominated by Fresh pine and leather
Put on a white Tee with a pack of camels rolled up in the sleeve.
Throw on a leather jacket.
Now jump on a Harley and take a drive through the country and breath it all in.
the pine
the Leather
the oakmoss
the dry tobacco....
Yep, you're cool like Fonzie.

On the other hand:
If you're looking for something to wear while driving your Vespa to the local Starbucks to enjoy a non-fat, vegan, half cal frapuccino with the rest of your skinny jeans/dress shoes with no socks buddies this is probably not for you.

Vetiver de Java by Il Profumo

This is an embarassingly grotesque parody of an old-school lavender scent with absolutely 0 (zero) vetiver in it. Just sickening cheap lavender and a ton of moldy camphoraceous musk. Weirdly dusty and humid at once, basically like licking the sweaty neck of a decommissioned drag queen.

Civet by Zoologist Perfumes

I can solemnly assert that Zoologist Civet is a contemporary gem, really, a cult fragrance (by now a modern classic), a pretty gorgeous creation which, while paying tribute to a classic baroque french honeyed-mossy-spicy chypre tradition (civet= Coco Chanel, Guerlain Djedi, Rochas Mystere, Must de Cartier, Estee Lauder Knowing etc), manages at same time to strum the (wilder fruity-spicy) strings of the Indie's
dodgy creative underworld, succeeding in the aim to conjugate (exactly a la House of Matriarch Bohemian Black, a far Civet's cousin) classic and contemporary, baroquely structural and the wild cozy countryside-farm's universe (just to be better intended: ideally the classic Roccobarocco woman or Ungaro Diva interpenetrate their classic substance with the visceral Slumberhouse Sova or Rundholz 03.Apr.1968). A proudly synth note of civet is in here connected to roasted coffee, resinous plummy-figgy spices, tropical flowers and "forest" in order to disclose a bold bloody (salty-plummy) effluvium which is all at once sapiently (with balance) alluring and wildly rural. Opening is quite visceral, a blast of sultry-spicy indescribable emotions (dark, sparkling, multicolored, equatorial, dry-fruity and dirty/sweated). I detect by soon a dark resinous-peppery-woodsy/mossy-liquorous classically chypre background enveloping the brisk sultry elements of the piquant night and overall is supported by a toasted accord of earthy patchouli, burnt dried fruits and roasted coffee. I can pick up dried figs, tropical flowers (kind of orchid, tuberose, ylang-ylang), salty leather, toasted tobacco, liqueur, sugary nuts, impenetrable spices, woods, misty resins and tasty balsams (the culinary-boozy-bloody carnality of this opening "recalls" to me an ideal combination of Les Liquides Imaginaires Belo Rabello and several of the spiciest/more syrupy/honeyed Slumberhouse's creations a la Jeke and Sova). Apart toasted coffee I detect a general (typically Indie in style) burnt-sugar's effect as mastering (resins galore). The core of this juice is represented by this central mysterious connection of toasted coffee and a sort of animalic black (salty-acid) musk (the synth civet's effect). I don't get the civet's typical fecal vibe, while I surely detect (as background and after many hours) an erotic sort of "stale - vaguely acid - pungent sweat of the body recesses-effect" combined with wax and honey (which is typical of vintage animalic chypres). Along the way various balsams seem to go soothing the elements and a muskier-lighter more "polished" chypre (mossy-woody-honeyed) vibe pops up as a stroke of fate. I detect in this phase a vaguely less dark presence of honey, oakmoss, heliotrope and mossy leather. The main effect, despite stable (sapiently orchestrated, alluring, elegant) and proudly classic "in school", is anyway destabilizing, avant-garde and incredibly erotic. Super bold sillage and great longevity on my feral skin. Excellent creation nearby the house of Zoologist.

Amarige by Givenchy

A deep, dark opening of ripe, fruity plum and touches of raisin that soon gives way to the high-power floral onslaught: a tuberose is tuberose is tuberose. This tuberose is deep, dark, with some, but not a lot, of waxiness attached to it. A whole battery of other floral notes are needed to counteract the soaring central tuberose: a darkish rose for starters, with jasmine, orchids and carnation contributing their shares.

The second stage mellows a bit and grows sweeter, owing to to tonka and ylang-ylang, and whiffs of a light musky undertone. Towards the end touches of neroli add a slightly brighter note.

I get strong sillage, excellent projection and nine hours of longevity on my skin.

A rich scent for cool spring and warm autumn evenings, this is for the tuberosophilic only. In all its headiness it still is quite balanced on me, and never cloying or overly intrusive, except, perhaps, for the first minute or so. The main drawback - and the main reason for the neutral score, is an, at times overbearing, synthetic nature of the core components. 2.75/5.

Stetson by Stetson

You know how we all took our mom's home-cooked meals for granted when we were kids? It wasn't until we moved out, ate way too many fast food takeouts and Ramen noodle dinners that we became aware of how good a cook Mom was.

Stetson is like that. It was everywhere in the 80's. I took it for granted until men abandoned this affordable classic for Polo, CK1, and an endless stream of "sport" scents.

Cozy and distinctive. A real snuggle scent.
bigbz Show all reviews

First Instinct by Abercrombie & Fitch

Love this juice! Fantastic release IMHO. As soon as I sprayed it, it reminded me of a stronger and younger take on Carolina Herrera Chic.

Sweet, fruity(sugared melon)with a bit of pepper and some clean musk is mostly what I pick up. Projection seems to be average, but the longevity I've found to be surprising good! Not to mention the pricepoint is terrific on this as I got a 100ml tester for less than $30 shipped.

Only knock, is that it does come off a bit "young" smelling(like H.S./college)....but I don't care because it smells so darn good.;)

Nightingale by Zoologist Perfumes

Nightingale is my first experience with Zoologist, the magnificent "by flora/fauna-inspired" Indie/naturalistic canadian alchemic niche brand. Their collection is aimed to capture the idiosyncrasies of the animal kingdom, transforming them into scents that are somewhat unusual and original. The main goal is supposed to be the one to connect "by perfumes" the wearer to great delights of the natural world. My first impression testing the juice on skin is immediately kind of wowing me; whatta resinous impact, what a fantastic indolic approach, what a visceral fruity-floral musky assault!! First of all, this is a super spicy-resinous creation (spicy frankincense, oudh, ambergris, fir resins, labdanum etc), as much resinous to conjure me (anyway in to a far more fruity-floral key) scents a la Cerchi Nell'Acqua Usmar Venezia, Tiziana Terenzi Gold Rose Oudh or several of the most straightforward frankincense-based accords (though in this case frankincense is well calibrated and is just like a brick of a more complex high construction). There is a "nowadays classic" central accord of rose/saffron/oudh but in this case fruity-floral intense elements and rich muskiness provide a new deeper vegetal outcome. The juice expresses a "japanese-in-inspiration" sort spring-time botanic atmosphere (the perfumer Tomoo Inaba is surely inspired by her japanese origin and the "naturalistic past" in deep contact to nature). Nightingale is a fruity-floral chypre (finally honeyed, rosey, waxy, apparently aldehydic, musky) opening with an assault of rosey saffron, plums (japanese plum blossoms) and violet under my profane south-european nose. Violet is temperamental for sure. The rosey vibe is by soon super spicy, creamy and yummy (sort of balmy, almost saffrony-syrupy) and its royal neo-victorian neutral/detergent/botanic/leafy-like vibe is counteracted by a more pungent accord of plums and violet (kind of berrish, juicy and candied). The overall atmosphere is surely musky, hyper musky, silvan and vegetal. A lemony note (on the side of woods) reinforces in the meanwhile the fruity-floral "plummine's intensity" and the general "perfumed botanic intensity" of the opera. The visceral floral syrup (really saffrony-rosey, plummy and resinous), as conjoined to carnal resins and deep musk, provides a quite sensual general effect while patchouli enhances structure and charisma. A fragrance by a great structure, gorgeousness and complexity claiming to capture the Japanese spring's onset with an obsessive dark floral pungency and a general sense of soapy-assertive oriental rapture. Excellent.

Merry Maker by Pinrose

Surprisingly good, given all the fruit notes (which I normal don't like). A light fruit punch, not sweet. The fruit notes are subtle, not cloying, quite pleasant. The florals are discreet -- indeed, the scent overall is subdued and sits close to the skin.

L'Effleur by Coty

Just got my hands on a bottle of this again after first wearing it as a kid going out clubbing with friends - we all wore it, a bunch of girls out in a cloud of powdery floral sweetness. It smells just as I remember it - I get heliotrope, violet, jasmine and some kind of woodsy dry down. There's something sweet and heartachingly sexy about this perfume, maybe the heliotrope, I'm not sure what it is exactly but it's still there and again today I'm swathed in that cloud for old times' sake.
Zowiee Show all reviews

JHL by Aramis

Bold and smooth fragrance that I adore. All the notes flow together in an aromatic symphony, while at the same time each note is there, ready for a solo. On my skin the fir, rose, patchouli and sandalwood seem to be the dominate notes, but I can smell the others. Quite an amazing fragrance, for a great price in today's bevy of overpriced and underperforming fragrances.

Dior Dior by Christian Dior

The ’70s was the decade of the sequel and the greatest hits album. It’s as if the late ’60s had used up the cultural capacity for new ideas and reiteration was the new innovation. As the name implies, Dior Dior favored repetition over novelty.

All members of Edmond Roudnitska’s citrus chypre family trace their roots to the voluptuous stone fruit chypres Femme and Diorama, but Dior Dior is better viewed against the other citrus chypres: Moustache, Eau Fraîche, Eau d’Hermès, le Parfum de Thérèse. Roudnitska investigated the fruity chypre, pulling a hint of decay from the common ground of overripe fruit and mature flowers.

Dior Dior owes much to the two perfumes that directly preceded it. You can smell whole pieces of Eau Sauvage and Diorella while wearing Dior Dior. The fruit is fresher than Diorella’s half-decayed melon and despite a hefty dose of moss, Dior Dior is more straight-laced than Eau Sauvage. The lemon/aldehyde pairing recreates Eau Sauvage’s mouth-watering lemon-drop but overall Dior Dior resembles Diorella. It shares Diorella’s general shape, but squeezes it into a girdle to suppress any errant curves.

With a brighter fruit note and cleaner florals Dior Dior comes off as more prim than its siblings. Compared to Diorella’s sultriness and easy virtue, and Eau Sauvage’s cruisy Playboy After Dark vibe, Dior Dior is a prig. The hint of skank tempers Dior Dior’s coloratura topnotes, but only *just*. If Diorella reflected a chic, offbeat style, Dior Dior suited a debutante. First impressions matter. The lemony shine and choir of aldehydes create a peppy, Anita Bryant/Up-With-People cheerfulness that seems at odds with the turned-fruit styles of chypre that Roudnitska developed over the years.

‘Cultural’ tone aside, Dior Dior is an excellent example of Roudnitska’s pursuit of simplicity. In his discussion of the art of perfumery he espoused the belief that richness doesn’t require complexity. His sumptuous perfumes were apparently the result of succinct formulae. Generating plush perfumes from concise composition might appear counterintuitive, but Roudnitska proved his point. His perfumes couldn’t rightly be called minimalist but they all have a feeling of perfect balance. Elements that don’t contribute to a perfume’s central goal have been edited out and the central olfactory ideas are diamond-like. In this respect, Dior Dior is classic Roudnitska.

from scenthurdle.com

Rose Flash by Tauerville

Rose Flash starts off with an accord of jammy rose and never stops, or changes much. I detect some violets, some fruity notes, a bit of sweetness, and an impression of an amber note lurking in the background. However, the jammy rose accord remains the centrepiece, and everything else floats in or out. It is very linear and persistent. On my skin it exhibits good sillage, and good duration, too.

Despite admiring the composition it is hard for me to personally enjoy it. While I love roses, the jammy character combined with the fair degree of sweetness push Rose Flash too much towards an edible rose jam rather than a personal fragrance. This is the sole reason that prevents me from a thumbs up.

If you're looking for a jammy rose on the fresh side, this one would be a strong contender.

3/5 (neutral)

Sublime Balkiss by The Different Company

Fruity green chypre which recalls for example Cristalle (Chanel) as well as Chypre Mousse from Oriza Legrand. A nice fragrance, I would have said feminine rather than masculine, unless you regard all perfumes as unisex.