Fragrance Reviews from January 2007

CherokeeGirl's avatar

Matin Calin Sugar Milk / Lait Sucré by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

I had no idea of how addicted I would become to this fragrance. I cannot walk past my bottle without spritzing some on. It is nothing like my other fragrances. The scent is sweet, warm, candied milk. I suppose this is not for everyone but, if you do love soft, sweet scents, give this a try.

20th January, 2007

Grommit53's avatar

Eau de Santal Extreme by Floris

I bought this because I could not get the origina Eau de Santal by Floris, which I love. Eau de Santal Extreme is not a patch on Santal. If seems, to me, to be a much weaker fragrance and it simply does not last.

21st January, 2007 (Last Edited: 29 May, 2008)

jingles's avatar

Pan Ame by Jean Patou

I bought a 50ml tester bottle for £2.99
    Floral Fruity-Musky Linden blossom, violet leaves, pear, peach sandalwood & musk very fruit salad and the pear note is very strong I cant detect musk and unfortunatly it dosent last very long on me just over an hr or so but still very nice and summery and for the price I cant complain

rach2jlc's avatar

Fig & Vetiver by Anthousa

A very delightful fig fragrance. I was unimpressed with L'artisans Premier Figuier, so I wasn't expecting much from this one either (the L'artisan was just a little TOO foodish on me). But, this one retains the woody sweetness of the fig note and blends it with the crisp green vetiver notes to create a subtle, relaxed, but nevertheless distinctive experience. Highly recommended if you can find a bottle.

the_good_life's avatar

Germany Germany

Charro by Charro

Reveived a bunch of samples of this from an Italian specialist in discontinueds where I bought my Balenciaga Portos and a few other gems.
    Evidently, Charro never made the grade, remained a local phenomenon or was quickly forgotten, which perhaps says something about the level of quality the perfume industry had achieved in 1989. For while this is in many ways a typical 80's scent (but so is Portos) it is an excellent composition with quality ingredients. Spicy, I particularly like the shimmers of pepper, subtly floral, just enough sweetness, soapy-clean feel from the carnation and coriander. Clearly a child of its time, but not as dated smelling as a whole lot of other 80s stinkers. And without wanting to bore you with the "laudatio temporis actis" rants of an old fogey, this forgotten beauty does have more class, creativity and costly ingredients than at least 20 designer releases from 2006 combined (thinking YSL homme here, not Terre d'Hermes or Varvatos Vintage, which are winners IMO)

Tovah's avatar

Préparation Parfumée by Andrée Putman

This is all that I love in Olivia Giacobetti's work. It smells like ocean air and ocean water at dusk in late summer, and it makes me feel so alive. It's similar to both En Passant and Navegar (two loves) yet it's outstanding all by itself. Very unisex, but I prefer it on my husband rather than on myself. He likes it better on himself, too. Putnam Préparation Parfumée is magnificent.

purplebird7's avatar

Prada (new) by Prada

Interesting, pleasant, and capable of popular appeal. Another of the deep sweet + earthy genre pioneered by the likes of Angel, yet more palatable. Transcends gender barriers, coming across as feminine but introducing people to the notes that create crossover: i.e. those which are palatable to both genders and not limited to either.
    In Prada, the tonka, patchouli, sandalwood, and labdanum are major components in both the men's and the women's versions. Women's Prada has mimosa, rose, vanilla, and benzoin, but the flowers are hardly discernible, and the sweetness is derived mostly from the tonka, labdanum, and benzoin The more "feminine" scent of vanilla is buried. And benzoin, while sweet, is hardly gender specific. (Look at what Serge Lutens has done with benzoin his men's fragrances.) The Men's Prada has geranium, leather, myrrh and vetiver, which are some of my favoite notes, despite my gender.
    I love the trend toward unisex fragrances, so I am tempted to give Prada a thumbs-up. However, I reserve my excitement for more daring fragrances and selective ingredients.
    For example, Etro makes wonderful, magical unisex fragrances. For another example, while Prada boasts of its patchouli (and contains far more than many mainstream fragraces) it is still nothing impressive compared to Santa Maria Novella.
    So, while I like it alot, I still give it a neutral and recommend anyone who likes Prada, go try some niche houses. You might be surprised by the world of fragrances out there.

purplebird7's avatar

Crystal Noir by Versace

Versace doesn't seem to support its perfumes very well. It's website doesn't even list fragrances anymore. Its discontinued list is long, and its current perfumes are relatively young.
    That's why I hate to admit that I like Crystal Noir as much as I do. The website once listed its notes as gardenia and oxygen. Now that the website no longer lists fragraces, the notes are shown by retailers as gardenia, amber, orange blossom, peony, sandalwood, and musk.
    I would be more likely to believe the original list. Although oxygen is an imaginary note, so is gardenia. (There is no "real" gardenia essential oil in perfumery.) This perfume is probably made entirely of chemicals, but they are nice-smelling chemicals, darn it.
    And the diffusing characteristic of the base is top-notch. I doubt it's sandalwood, those are almost always synthetic. It's too light and transparent to be real amber. And musk? All musks are synthetic nowadays. So, O.K., let's say it's an "oxygen" note. No problem. It's some chemical with wonderful diffusing characteristics like the old nitro musks that are now banned. I like it. It is a light floral with some strange tropical notes overlaid on the most incredible, pseudo-musk-sandalwood-oxygen base that rises off your skin like air. I give it a thumbs-up, even though I would rather spend more money on a perfume with quality, natural ingredients. Versace Crystal Noir smells lovely.

_R$_'s avatar

Iris Oriental / Iris Taïzo 14 by Parfumerie Generale

Unbelievable scent. Not strictly feminine, it's marketed as a shared scent. It's so sweet, sensuous, and ! long lasting! Just an amazing scent, a strong five out of five.
    - Rich

nilla420's avatar

Initial by Boucheron

initial smells amazing w/ my chemistry. the rose, jasmine, and cinnamon notes really stand out for me, and continue to linger on the drydown. i nearly always receive compliments while wearing this. i use initial when i want to be noticed. also, i can see Quarry's point about this working for a man too. a very secure, confident man could pull this one off. that being said, i really don't smell anything manly about intial. to me, this is a very special floral/oriental for use when you want to feel beautiful and desireable.

ifconfig's avatar

Patchouli Patch by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I've been struck dumb by the subtle beauty of this L'Artisan. This is easily the best of the bunch. I'm so happy because I was beginning to think I would never find a L'Artisan I recklessly loved, but I absolutely LOVE Patchouli Patch.

I'd heard this was the Patchouli hater's Patchouli and whoever said that is correct. Love this scent, a 5-star fragrance through and through.

ifconfig's avatar

Silver Cologne by Amouage

Powder and a certain type of skin cream or pomade is how I'd describe this one I sniffed from a sample. I don't dislike it, but I am not ga-ga over it either.

The floral notes are interesting but I find the lack of a base a little disconcerting, by which I mean something musky, if that's the correct term here. It's strong and the sillage is excellent, but that's about all the positives I care to lavish on this one. A solid three star effort out of five.

Rain by Demeter Fragrance Library

Demeter should rename this "dog that's been in the rain." It smells exactly like wet fur. I don't like it.

L'Autre by Diptyque

This smells exactly like cumin. It's not horrible, but I can't imagine ever wanting to smell like I doused myself with cumin.

Eau de Lierre by Diptyque

It's unreal how similar this smells to an ivy patch. I don't particularly like the smell of ivy, but this is a high quality reproduction of it. It's very similar to Poison Ivy by Demeter.

Boucheron by Boucheron

This seems to be in somewhat the same class as Maggie Noire. It is listed as an oriental, but it has oakmoss and I would think it would be a chypre. So I would call it a chypre oriental. It definitely does have that chypre note. It seems to be a complicatied fragrance with a lot going on. I do like it myself, but my husband doesn't.

Gucci No. 1 by Gucci

I love wood in my fragrances and did not think I could find one with too much wood for me, but this one smells to me of Gucci PH for about an hour and then mellows down, but the mellowing down did not present something I liked and I can't even describe it, something I have not smelled before.

Gucci pour Homme (original) by Gucci

This is extremely woody, a very manly smell and I do like it on my husband, but would not wear it myself. But what I would say most is that it is very macho and that can be good on a man, so I bought my husband a few botles because it was being discontinued.

Passion for Men by Elizabeth Taylor

I bought this for my husband when it first came out and was disappointed for it smelled too sweet and spicy. I do love sweet and spicy, but this one was way over the top for me. I tried to get rid of it, but he likes it.

Realm by Realm Fragrances

I do like the Realm for men. It's very vanilla, but I would not get it again even if I could. I do love it's smoothness and there nothing unpleasant about it.

Trouble by Boucheron

I love this one. A nice full bodied, wooded oriental. Smells very expensive. Somewhat on the lines Of Maggie Noire, but a little more modern and more wood notes. Love it.

Curious by Britney Spears

I did not like this. This is one that had absolutely no redeeming qualities at all for me. It smelled like something I might find at the drug store but much, much, worse. Just chemicals and a few white flowers. I would not wear it for free, or if it were the last fragrance on earth.

Carlos Santana for Women by Carlos Santana

This sounds like a fruity floral, but it has Musk and Sandalwood in the base and is listed everywhere I have found as an oriental. It truly is a beautiful scent, somewhat on the lines of hypnotic poison. It does not smell like hypnotic poison, but it is a softly, musky, sandalwood oriental in somewhat the same class.

Midnight Fantasy by Britney Spears

I tried this because I found the bottle to be so beautiful and it wasn't bad for about half an hour and then it got very synthetic and cheap smelling.

tyrell3000's avatar

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

I just got my bottle of SMW yesterday. This does EXACTLY what I want it to. It's like nothing I've ever had the pleasure of smelling before. I have a problem with longevity, but this lasts 6+ hours on me. All the women who smelled it on me absolutely loved it. If you still aren't sure, get the sample first like I did. Love at first sniff.

kashiva's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Cool Water by Davidoff

At first it seemed like a pretty decent fragrance, until I realised that it was the only perfume I had that I never wore out. Somehow, the "fresh" smell gives way to a detergent-like pungent smack in my face.

kashiva's avatar

Singapore Singapore

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

Clearly the best scent I own - it commands presence, and a helps to uplift you into the powerful mood. It's clearly a manly scent.

Although one might initially find this rather strong and perhaps unpleasant (often referring to it as synthetic), the smell grows on you, and grows on you - and by the time you meet others, it mellows into a long-lasting and compelling fragrance.

Definitely a thumbs up.

*The red bottle is absolutely lovely!

X-Centric by Dunhill

A modern sporty, fresh smell. I love the smell, but it does not have much dimension and surprisingly top, middle and base notes blend together. I would admit it is kinda generic smelling, ie a Nautica cousin, but it is nice and more modern. The staying power is above average although truth be said, Nautica Competition stays a bit longer. A sporty daywear. Good fragrance for the price.

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

Aromatic ( Fougere ) meets woody

Marriage of the aromatic top/middle and the woody base is classic. Nightwear for me. Love it and overall a great smell. Most people will love this masculine fragrance. Hate the ads for D&G as it usually shows 2 dudes about to screw a third guy. This is a horrible image for their line which I would hate even if I was gay. But the scent is already a classic.

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

Priced greatly for the product. Old fashioned smell could easily think of grandpa putting this stuff on. Very aromatic but unfortunately has one or 2 dimensions (notes within the aromatic range). Lasting power mildly below average for me about 6 hours before all essence off. Good product for the price. 7/10