Fragrance Reviews from October 2007

Farnesiana by Caron

Have lately been interested in mimosa/cassie-type scents. I have recently been given Mimosa pour Moi from L'Artisan Parfumeur, and decided to buy Calèche Fleurs de Méditérranée. Both of these feature mimosa. Farnésiana mingles it with cassie (acacia flower, a related plant). Both are very green florals and seem to me to be very uplifting. The sensual aspect of perfumes is somewhat offset by the spiritual in the case of these notes, IMO.

JF by Floris

This is very good and fresh, but with a slight twist in the heart: the artemisia and cypress here give a really strange woody accord; or possibly it's the "exotic woods" listed in the base. This scent reminds me (in a good way) of the stuff my granddad used to wear. It smells, masculine, refined, European, and ever so slightly bitter. I think its' a keeper!

Royal Delight by Creed

Wow! The leather is really great with the citrus and jasmine; I got the leather right away, and it slowly creeps up more and more until it balances the rest of the notes. This would be great for a special evening out, or for cooler weather and nighttime generally. The leather is not overpowering, but it's just a little suede-like (not completely, just a hint in that direction).

Vetyver / Vétiver by Givenchy

Top: Bergamot, Vetiver
    Middle: Coriander Leaves, Vetiver
    Base: Sandalwood, Vetiver

I must say this smells vaguely familiar to me, though I cannot recall ever having seen it before. Givenchy claims they are relaunching a men's EdT from 1959.

It is the coriander leaves that make the scent; the top notes are citrus and the base, wood. The vetiver, of course, is everywhere. The overall impression is quite distinct from any other vetiver fragrance I have smelled. The coriander leaf is a kind of rough green herbal note that isn't exactly spicy, but suggests a hint of spice. Strangely, in this mix it doesn't smell very much like the coriander leaves you use in cooking (the familiar cilantro of Latin American and Asian cuisine). The vetiver (in itself a rather earthy note) somehow transforms the coriander leaf into something less pungent and more... well, exotic... and ethereal. I think if I hadn't seen the note listed on the tester bottle, I wouldn't have been able to guess it was coriander leaf.

The juice is really very captivating. I sprayed a little on one hand, and nine hours later, I can still smell it quite clearly; and though it is projecting quite a bit less than it was at first, it maintained a respectable sillage for about five hours. There isn't a very complex development, but there is some, going from a rather distinct light vetiver to revealing the green coriander, and then stabilizing to give a lighter impression, altered to a woodier vetiver. The phrase I would use for the overall effect is a kind of earthy-ethereal depth.

L'Eau d'Hiver by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Bergamot, angelica, iris, honey, hawthorn, jasmine, heliotrope, white musc. It manages not to be cloying, in spite of the honey and heliotrope, which can really take over if not tamed and balanced. Also, it retains an aura of freshness, even into the drydown. The sweetness seems to be from the jasmine, honey and heliotrope; yet the green hawthorn and angelica do wonders for keeping it bright. Really like this one. I thought the 10% concentration would be a bit light, but I think any more in the direction of EdP strength would have made this too heavy. I get the Eau Chaude idea: sort of cologne-y, but with some warm undercurrents.

Iris 39 by Le Labo

With notes of Iris, Lime, Patchouli, Rose, Ylang-ylang, Musk, Violet, Ginger, Cardamom, and Civet, it is quite powerful and perhaps most suited to evenings and cooler weather. But I love it! Really chic, and just a little bit dirty. Kind of French in that way. I found it intoxicating from the first. It is really a very rich scent. With time, it dries down to a much softer accord in which the iris, violet, and lime become more pronounced -- or at least less obscured by the heavier base notes. Just couldn't let it get away from me.

Louve by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I know a lot of you guys don't like almond and cherries, but I do; it must be a heliotrope note, 'cause that's what I know that smells of almonds and cherries. Like some others here, I felt it too strong at first, but after it has a chance to settle, it turned very soft and soothing. On me, at least, it's not particularly sweet after the first twenty minutes or so. It takes on a kind of dryness, actually, that's very much closer to the skin than the first blast. The notes listed for it on Osmoz.com are:
    Top note : White Almond
    Middle note : Fruity Note, Rosy Note
    Base note : Amber, Vanilla, Balms

JDBIII's avatar

Sandalo by Etro

The woman who works in the office next to mine says it smells like sex every time I wear it. I think she means that in a good way. Maybe it's not the best scent for work, but god it makes me feel good every time I sniff it.

JDBIII's avatar

Vicolo Fiori by Etro

I have never worn VdF, but I have given it to two women who wear it for me, and it is so charming. It doesn't really break any new ground, but it is balanced and nice. I don't get a synthetic feel, however, it is cooler than most florals I have sniffed and a bit linear. It is classy but simple.

rach2jlc's avatar

Chypré Vanillé by Montale

Vanilla just as I like it: dry and pungent. Definitely not what one might expect from vanilla, it lacks much softness or overt sweetness, instead being quite sharp and crisp.

I see what Trebor means by the "vile" mid-notes... there is something harsh and almost antiseptic about them, but strangely compelling and even mildly alluring.

I can't say I'd recommend buyers on a budget socking away $175 for it (luckily I received it in a swap!), as there are many others at that price level I'd recommend first. But, for someone who has been looking for a VERY different take on vanilla and something that doesn't just smell soft and cute, then this might be the way to go.

Ce Soir Ou Jamais by Annick Goutal

Goutal's fragrances are 'stark' to my senses. I suppose a minimalist would find her creations lovely, but not me. From the get-go Ce Soir Ou Jamais is waxy lemon furniture polish and ROSE! As LONEFISH said, it doesn't evolve - simply fades away. And where is the jasmine??? That's the reason I tried this one in the first place. It's non-existent here. Not offensive, but undoubtedly disappointing.

Bois des Îles by Chanel

The sandalwood here renders all others inadequate. Bois de Iles is truly, one of the prettiest olfactory creations from Chanel ~ or from anyone for that matter! Take a look at the listed notes...I dare your nose to single out any of the flowers listed, I honestly don't think you can do it! Why, you ask? Simply because BdI is supremely & seamlessly crafted. It is THAT FINE! Two thumbs up!

French Lime Blossom by Jo Malone

The energy of this fragrance is in the same genre' as Les Meteorites (Guerlain) and Amazing Grace (Philosophy). French Lime Blossom is squeaky clean; pure. This fresh and downright girly scent dries down to a sweet, slightly powdery citrus. In the early 80's Bain de Soleil made an orange tanning gelee' that had a distinctly similar smell...gives me a sort of "carefree" feeling! FLB is youthful ~ an enjoyable retreat.

Visit by Azzaro

For me, the stand-out notes here are the pepper and cedar. This duo takes me back a few summers when I used to wear Lacoste Pour Femme...very similar! Actually, I don't find the nutmeg in Visit to be un-welcome at all. It comes off quite complimentary in it's relationship with the other notes. What I do pick up though is a slightly metallic undercurrent that baffles me...Overall, Visit is a bit bland and very safe. Certainly, there are many other stunning scents to spend your dollars on!

Floriental by Pecksniff's

CLOYING! An overdone copy of YSL'S Opium or Lauder's Cinnabar. The cinnamon/carnation/rose trio is overbearing ~ upstaging even the heartiest of basenotes. The top notes of orange, pimento and bay leaves get completely railroaded by the middle. This blend is way out of balance.

Nina (new) by Nina Ricci

Gorgeous bottle! Really caught my attention, which is how I ended up trying Nina. I love it on paper, and on my daughter - who smells wonderful wearing notes of cedar - but on my own skin it was not as nice. The top notes like toffee-apple are succulent! IMO the woodsy base completely off-sets the sweetness and produces an exquisite balancing act with lasting power that will knock your socks off!

Tiaré by Chantecaille

All Chantecaille's fragrances are transparent. The notes are sheer, clear and simply delightful to the senses. Not to say there is any lack of quality! No sir & no ma'am - these potions are top notch blends! Tiare is very green. I'm not a lover of outright 'green' in most scents, but here the green is mannerly. Notes: small tahitian gardenia, tuberose, mimosa and a touch of rosewood. Not too sweet either. Nicely done.

parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Jaisalmer by Comme des Garçons

Notes:
    cardamom, incense, cinnamon, amber, benzoin, pimento, berries, guaiac wood (aka gaiac wood or saint wood), ebony

My favourite of the range, very strange as it doesn't have any flower note and in me smell deliciously kind of flowery with incense ('course).
    Maybe it can be the cinammon and the berries.
    Also get the metallic aura.
    Fascinating piece. Very recommended.

Hypnôse Homme by Lancôme

I'm sure this one will become a must have for me when I reach my 40's.
    It express serenity,sophistication and shout off a gorgeous subtle sexy aura.
    I adore it, but i know that just won't work on me just now. I'll wait then.

Play by Comme des Garçons

Notes: Bitter orange, black pepper, lime, saffron, thyme, sage, sea notes, oak moss, patchouli, moss

Another fantastic creation!. Probably the most simple of all the previous CDG series. Easy to wear!.
    It's more herbal than Soda, and it doesn't share similar caracthers, as I think It has more proximity with l'eau D'issey if you exchange the yuzu note for an orange one...
    The orange mixed with juicy lime really stands on the top notes and then the saffron and sage give a rest and create more complexity and herbal twist to the fragance.
    The sea note is quite fresh and sparkly and really workson the mix of the notes.
    Its has a terrible long lasting power, also it proyect massively, so use with caution!
    I really smell much better on distance that close skin as happens with the Odeur range.

VoltesV's avatar

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

OMG, this smells exactly like Davidoff's Cool Water, which I used to own. While I like the smell, I don't like the Creed price so I'd say buy Cool Water instead.

VoltesV's avatar

Chinatown by Bond No. 9

Thank god I only bought a small decant. This stuff is way too floral to be a unisex fragrance. I like sweet smelling fragrance and not am not opposed to florals but this one stinks.

Amazing for Men by Bill Blass

First thought: cheap rubbish in a bottle

Second thought: not that bad, but not 'Amazing'

Spicy alcoholic opening, cheap yet familiar deodorant/gym locker musk dry down. Skip it unless it's so cheap you can't say no.

Oxygène Homme by Lanvin

smells just like Jil Sander Sport xcept it is a little spicier in the opening. Other than that, I can't tell the difference

F pour Homme by Salvatore Ferragamo

To my nose, this is a softer and therefore more "user friendly" Terre d'Hermes from Hermes. i love that fragrance but sometimes it is just a little too strong and rough around the edges. This on the other hand is smoother and more refined. Not bad. I def recommend this if you like Hermes but have issues with its savage nature.

Fuel For Life pour Homme by Diesel

Wow, what a mess! It starts out with a subtle 'fuel' scent, that is just enough for you to think: 'How corny'. Then it slowly dries into a feminine comfort scent (think cereal/soy milk).
    Complete dissapointment, don't waste your time.

jrd4t's avatar

Bleecker Street by Bond No. 9

I think this is an incredible, unique scent. It lasts forever on me, 15 hours or more and I can still smell it. I often find myself randomly wanting to smell this and have to wear it that evening. Yes, the bottle is great, but I don't really care.. the scent will drive you crazy. Very big thumbs up from me for this. Also works great on women.. I've let female friends wear it and they/I love it on them as well :)

lynx_lover's avatar

Axe Touch / Lynx Touch by Axe / Lynx

lynx touch reminds me of lynx voodoo and the shower gel is the same colour too! So don't bother looking for the old ones all unilever seem to do, is improve upon their previous product which im pleased about because i like their range of deodorants at the moment.

lynx_lover's avatar

Axe Unlimited / Lynx Unlimited by Axe / Lynx

lynx unlimited is lynx oriental it is citrus and spicy and smell wonderful and i hope they continue making it.

LaurenStDavid's avatar

Gold by Donna Karan

My God, I LOVE this perfume! I tried it out in a department store last Christmas and loved it then, and I finally remembered to pick up a few samples just to see if I still loved it as much as I thought I did. After the first spray, I was not disappointed. The lilies help keep the fragrance light, but as it dries, it mellows just a bit into something warmer; perhaps it's the amber/patchouli combination.

I've heard from several different sources that this fragrance has been discontiued. What a shame. If that is the case, this is one fragrance I wouldn't mind seriously stocking up on.