Fragrance Reviews from October 2007

Midnight_lulu's avatar

Antico Caruso by Profumum

(I'm reposting my luckyscent review because it describes best what I think of "Antico Caruso"--I couldn't describe it in any other way...)

Antico Caruso" smells like the purest, creamiest luxury soap you've ever experienced---the kind that came in cakes and wrapped in paper, scattered throughout cruise liners (like creamy-tart "Vinolia"--only sweeter) and seaside hotels in the early part of last century. There is even a similar theme between Caswell-Massey's famous "Almond Shave Soap" and "Antico Caruso", but antico is less salty and veers away from the syrupy cherry tone of almond and into a creamier realm of polished wood and hard-soap lather. This is a serenely comforting scent: The almond note gives it a very subtle gourmandesque spirit; however, the opening citrus zing and powdery sandlewood finish make it far to clean to pass as a food substitute. "Antico Caruso" is also, despite masculine references to barbershops and cologne, quite unisex in nature and I imagine many women would find it's unusual non-floral creaminess appealing. It's the smell of "clean" before "clean" meant "disinfectant/detergent". It makes me think of fresh, wholesome days outdoors and the pure simplicity of monestary, abbey or temple settings. If you always hoped for a sweeter, creamier version of "CKOne", "L'Huere Bleu" or you're just looking for an interesting scent to surround but not precede you, I'd suggest "Antico Caruso".

21st October, 2007

Eggberj's avatar

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

It took me a few days of constant wear to really appreciate the beauty of this scent. Upon first application, the oud note was harsh, even jagged, and seemed to disturb the continuity of the composition. After a few applications, perhaps my nose adjusted to the characteristic roughness of the oud, or my brain just learned to process it differently, but it seemed to blend effortlessly into the rest of the scent, creating an aura of masculinity and sex. This is definitely a 'naughty' scent. Just go easy on the trigger; a little goes a long way.

Eggberj's avatar

The Unicorn Spell by LesNez

Smells like lying on dewy grass at the entrance of a cave, in foggy moonlight, in winter. I cannot detect any individual notes, and the overall effect is not what one would normally call 'perfume', but as a whole, the scent is VERY evocative of a fairy-tale setting. The Unicorn Spell has a cold, earthy feel to it, but also a transparent softness in the style of L'Eau d'Hiver. The lasting power is only moderate at best, but as a lover of 'challenging' scents, I would highly recommend this.

ineespenes's avatar

Norway Norway

Alien by Thierry Mugler

Alien is not an easy scent to like,I think..I have to admit that the first time I tried it I really hated it!I found it sour and weird smelling.However I've learned from experience that I need to retest most of the scents I try several times and with a huge time gap between.Alien also reminded me a bit of Crystal Noir in the beginning,but it's cooler and less sweet.Not sure what caused me feeling that way about it,because now I find them really different from eachother.On me Alien smells mostly of Jasmine,but it gradually warms a little up and the amber comes through.It also has a quite green quality about it I think.I've grown to like this scent more and more,but it's defenitely a scent I would have to be in the mood for.Defenitely a very original mix of notes and the bottle is cool too.

Dune by Christian Dior

Definately a strong scent. I am probably too young for this fragrance but I did like the top notes and how it developed. Later on it started to remind me of an aftershave my father once wore, which didnt appeal to me but would be something i'd appreciate on someone else perhaps.

Fuel For Life pour Femme by Diesel

This is not bad. It has a powdery soapy smell similar to Hugo Boss (Woman?). It also has some element of fruit - a fragrance i'd like on someone else as I dont like soapy scents.

I kept sniffing at the card and its really good, just not my style.

Mediterranean by Elizabeth Arden

I agree with the previous post - it takes awhile for the scent to become noticeable. It's really worth trying. I have worn a sample of it on a few occasions and I want to love it, but I think I'd love it better on someone else.

It's so nice, I just prefer gourmand or crisp fruity woody orientals personally.

L - L.A.M.B by Gwen Stefani

Fruit soap... not bad but nothing special in my opinion. Perfect for the younger market - its not offensive and smells pleasant.

markc's avatar

Fuel for Men / DK Men by Donna Karan

Am I the only one here that thinks this is just too subtle? Absolutely love the top notes, but unless I got a bad miniature, I really can't detect this so good an hour after application.

markc's avatar

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Yes, pretty close to the Barbasol effect. Pluses- Smelling like you just stepped out of a clean shave. Minuses- I prefer the anise that is in Azzaro Pour Homme. Also, I wish the Patchouli came out a bit more. After 3 full wearings, I wish I could praise it as much as most on here, but I can't just give it 4 or 5 stars.

ubuandibeme's avatar

L'Eau par Kenzo by Kenzo

While browsing Sephora I decided to test a fragrance far away from anything I would normally be attracted to...and L'Eau par Kenzo ended up on my wrist. Shockingly good! This watery lotus flower scent is dewey fresh. I get a hint of soft pepper and watermelon seeds! Initial cool and refreshing water notes evolve into a lightly wooded - amber tinged base, which adds more depth than warmth to this blend. I'm intrigued by the unusual essences of nature here in
    this divine combination of notes; a very impressive fragrance. Youthful and in good taste!

zztopp's avatar

Armani Eau Pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Notes:
    Top: Lemon, Mandarin, Basil, Petitgrain
    Heart: Lavender, Nutmeg, Cinnamon, Lily
    Base: Oakmoss, Vetiver, Sandalwood, Cedarwood

Supposedly Armani Eau Pour Homme (APH) was Giorgio Armani's personal day-time fragrance before being released to public. Going by the composition, Mr. Armani must have been a big fan of the classics like Dior Eau Sauvage, Chanel Pour Monsieur, and especially Nina Ricci Signoricci.

I was initially perplexed by APH's performance on my skin. Testing it amidst a flurry of recent citrus purchases and that too in the searing summer heat, initial impressions were that it's a standard lemon pledge like citrus fragrance with a bromidic dry herbal mossy drydown which revealed itself too fast. A different technique of application revealed a more consuming side - spraying from a distance allowed the latent notes to bloom, and I perceived an immediate (light) woody-citrus combo of lemon and petitgrain lent a light airy floral aroma of lavender inconcert with a subdued spicy nutmeg note which renders an enjoyable if restrained aromatic citrus accord. The problem here is that this accord gets more and more anhydrous - the sandalwood in the base doesn't possess enough potency to neutralise the dryness...I would have preferred some forceful floral notes to counteract this unbalanced desert wind like drying act, or pumped up the lavender note's concentration instead. By the drydown, I am left with a parched mossy accord on my skin which reminds me of gardening in the backyard with lemon juice crusts on my fingertips.

Mr. Armani probably wanted a Signoricci of his own. The notes pyramid reveals a lot of similarities as does testing them side by side. It also reveals that Signoricci is the better and more balanced scent. The lemons are more luscious, the lavender smoother, the petitgrain woodier, and it has the missing floral components to counter balance the mossy-herbal drydown that afflicts APH. Yes, Signoricci is the better fragrance...but APH has the better bottle! Also, can anyone confirm whether Armani's clothing line has been similarly "inspired" by other fashion houses?

Rating: 7.3/10

zztopp's avatar

Cuir Mauresque by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Notes: amber, myrrh, burnt styrax, incense, cinnamon, aloe wood, cedar, civet, nutmeg, clove, cumin, musk, mandarin peel, orange blossom.

In the technology adoption lifecycle while crossing the chasm to mainstream acceptance, entrepreneurs need to find product and market alternatives to their product. This can also be accomplished by taking a successful product and using its features to fulfill the needs of a need in a new market. Lutens and Sheldrake take this approach with Cuir Mauresque -they take a successful leather fragrance, perform minute customizations, and then name it "Moorish (Spanish) Leather".

Cuir Mauresque (CM) is one of the more pleasant and wearable Lutens offerings. While a great leather fragrance, to my nose it also borrows heavily from Caron's nearly 100 year old classic, Tabac Blond (TB). Both feature a smoky leathery heart derived from the molecule isobutyl quinoline. The smoky leather note is richer and more forceful in TB, while its considerably tame in CM where the use of clove, aloes wood and mandarin peel strip the leather of most of its distinctive characteristics and present it as smoky-leather-lite. There is a layer of the lutens trademark oriental madness bubbling under the leather show, but thankfully it doesn't materialize or develop further. While TB ends with a rich smoky vanilla accord, CM's drydown marries the muted smoky leather note with a cool yet never overbearing incense note which to some people might spell "Tabac Blond for men".

To summarize, CM is TB with a little bit of sweetness, the same smoky leather note but toned down 5X in strength, and an incense infused drydown instead of the smoky vanilla accord in TB. If you found TB too leathery and smoky, CM might be your ticket to leather salvation. Spanish leather is marked by a distinct sweetness in addition to leather, and Lutens/Sheldrake take a fast follower approach to success by taking the TB blueprint and adding a few sweet notes to the formula - and voila!, the result is a fine spanish leather fragrance which destroys the competition (ex: Trumper etc's offerings which are too sweet and musky with barely any perceptible leather).

Note: Depending on how CM reacts on your skin, you might either get the impressions discussed above, or a heavy saccharine scent ala traditional Lutens fare (if your skin amplifies the amber and mandarin peel notes). Try before you buy.

Rating: 8.4/10

purplebird7's avatar

No. 88 by Czech & Speake

I get pure head shop from this one--in a glorious manner. Czech & Speak 88 is all about rose--and Indian incense. I'm not sure which incense stick I am positively identifying, but it is probably Chandan or Laxmi, maybe even a bit of Nag Champa. It is of the "masala" type, or mixture of woods and spices, very beautiful. This perfume had me singing, "When the moon is in its seventh house, and Jupiter aligns with Mars..." It shall be mine someday.

Sung Homme by Alfred Sung

An incredibly good buy that routinely gets kicked in the teeth here on the board. Very crisp, very masculine, very bracing. Outstanding sillage; unbeatable longevity.

I myself get both the soapiness and the much talked about tobacco notes, yes. And guess what? I LIKE them.

Givenchy pour Homme by Givenchy

Not anywhere near the caliber of Gentleman or Monsieur, mind you, but not bad considering the era in which it was released. Slightly dry woody frag with spicy touches here and there -- light floral layering above. Will give this one a thumbs up, but with a proviso: don't go in expecting a truly great Givenchy like the frags of yore.

Opium pour Homme Eau d'Orient by Yves Saint Laurent

Lovely take on Opium pour Homme -- this is to OpH what Shalimar Light is to Shalimar. I get top-rate sillage with this baby, and many, MANY compliments. I also find it far more wearable in warmer weather than its older brother. Like the edp version, this Opium is a horse of a different color -- and I like that!

pookerella's avatar

Madison Soirée by Bond No. 9

First time I put it on, it screamed "Caleche" and becomes more like it as it dries down. Perhaps a tad less sweet than Caleche, and a tad more spicy. I have no clue what notes they share, but if you like Caleche and have always wanted it a little lighter and more spirited, this one is for you. Very pretty, feminine, definitely high class all the way.

odysseusm's avatar

Blu Mediterraneo Basil / Foglie di Basilico by Acqua di Parma

Notes: bergamot, basil, sage, clove.
    Blu Mediterraneo Basil is a bracing, citrus/herbal tonic. It is a great summer and daytime scent, with an attractive Mediterranean vibe. The bergamot is very citrusy. The basil has a licorice note, to be expected in true basil and rather nice. In fact, I’d say this is one of the most accurate and pleasing basil scents I know (I'm thinking of Baïme, Vigilo, even the very good Basile Uomo). Thankfully the sage and clove are restrained notes. This is a unisex scent, and because it doesn’t have sweet or floral notes I consider it quite suitable for a man to wear.

mermaid's avatar

Ireland Ireland

Sicily by Dolce & Gabbana

This opened promisingly - very much so. A strong, dark, spicy confusion of scents that were, indeed, evocative of the southern med.

But for me it was totally ruined by the sweet vanilla note that emerged within minutes of spraying it on, an unwelcome Northern European intrusion into what had been a hot, primal mediterranean scene.

If they had just stuck with the sandalwood this could have been my HG but as it is, it's a scrubber.

guynspfld's avatar

Sonia Rykiel by Sonia Rykiel

I do not smell the comparison to Angel..Angel is a wonderful fragrance in its own right, but Sonia Rykiel is amazing....I never understood why it was abruptly pulled from department stores. I recall it selling well.

Erolfa by Creed

Incredibly crisp, with an amazing salty note. You can really taste the salt on first spray. Absolutely fantastic. It definitely strikes me as a scent to be worn in boat shoes without socks, khakis, an unbuttoned white shirt and aviators on a yacht... or at least it makes me want to be on one :) Works well in a cubicle, too.

Lacoste pour Homme by Lacoste

I used to really like it but that was when I only knew about 10 scents. Every time I try to wear it now, it just annoys me. Yes it's pleasant, but I think it might be more suitable for a frat party (where I got to know it) than years later. It hits me too synthetic and something more of an era.

Chinatown by Bond No. 9

At first, I was worried that it would be too feminine just from the packaging (which is definitely feminine) after sampling it in a standard vial. However, I found a great deal on the Swarovski bottle and figured I could easily sell it if it didn't work for me. I must say, though, that silly sparkly bottle is going to find its home in my wardrobe.
    It's incredible.. It starts as candied peaches but evolves into something creamy, close, and sweet while retaining a touch of spice and wood. It's got a surprising citrus feeling that really sparkles.
    I've worn it out of the house only once but received a huge positive reaction. It may sit on the feminine side of unisex, but really tends to impress all.

magneto78's avatar

Allure Homme Sport Cologne by Chanel

I love this scent. It's fresh without that sickly sweet cloying quality I find in alot of scents today. I liked this frag so much in fact, that I immediately purchased a bottle the first time I smelled it, which is rare for me. I usually will test a fragrance on my skin a few times before committing to buy. When I got home from the store I was reminded why this is such a good practice...The scent I had sprayed liberally on myself at the store a half hour before, was completely gone! This stuff has about an hour lasting power at most. What a disappointment. If you plan on "applying liberally and often" like Chanel's website suggest, plan on wearing a fanny pack. The bottle is the size of a brick!

Smellin'good42's avatar

H.M. by Hanae Mori

It lasts all day, its great the dry down is wonderful, although the start of the scent, the citrus is also nice, but the dry down is intense sweet.. very nice. my signature scent :)

Smellin'good42's avatar

Lacoste Elegance by Lacoste

Its a great fragrance, but for the older crowd, very fresh and citrus for only a while than the chocolate kicks in for the majority of the time.

christomapher's avatar

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme Intense by Issey Miyake

If you love the original but hate how popular it is, get this fragrance!

It took me about a month of testing before I could form a real opinion about this scent. I like it because it is a great variation on the original L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme. It has many similarities (which makes it smell great), however it is different enough that nobody will be able to mistake it for the original. It has a slightly familiar scent, like the lightness of the original but is a little more smokey, almost more of a bite. The bottle is sexy and the fragrance is aptly-named.

Carl999's review did not explain anything to me.

NouvelleVague's avatar

parfums*PARFUMS Series 7 Sweet: Wood Coffee by Comme des Garçons

Very disappointed. I've been looking for a good, warm gourmand scent and this was awful on me. From the bottle I could smell coffee bean and sugar along with some wood, but once I put it on me all the sweetness disappeared. I couldn't smell anything but musty wood and licquorice on my skin. I know I've got some strange skin chemistry, but the smell reminded me of a chinese herbalist shop. Ick.

Bulgari pour Homme Extreme by Bulgari

That grapefruit really pops out in the opening. It adds a lot more vibrancy and freshness to the opening accord, plus, it seems to make the opening accord last longer, too, probably because of a stronger sense of presence than the opening in the original Bulgari Pour Homme. The woods in the middle take a stronger position, too, than the notes in BPH. The base is rather non-important — about all I get out of it is musk.

I find Bulgari Pour Homme Extreme a bit more common than BPH — it’s rather like a higher quality Boss fragrance without the synthetics. It doesn’t have the class or the refinement of the original, but it is still quite nice. I think the original Bulgari Pour Homme is one of the greater achievements in modern designer masculine fragrances. Bulgari Pour Homme Extreme is a completely different category from its progenitor: It doesn’t come up to the standards of the original Bulgari PH, but it is still a very good fragrance.

23 October, 2007