Fragrance Reviews from October 2007

Allure Homme by Chanel

Good fragrance. Cheerful, alive, soft... Is it sexy? I am not sure!

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

I use it when I travel and my bag was full... cos, it is very stable on body. Somebody, especially men, find it heavy. But I think a fragrance is a perfume if it was felt from distance.

Kiton Black by Kiton

Kİton Black is really exceptional fragrance. I've been wearing for a month. I love leather. This frag is interesting, because, top notes and midde notes are the same, ever base note. No change. But it's not sharp enough.

Armani Attitude by Giorgio Armani

I am not sure some friends are smell it. I mean it is not like B*man or Code definetelly. It is too spicy, I agree but not like Thierry Mugler. BUt it is really like Hypnose and Azzaro Visit. I tested yesterday, it is wonderful I think. But in spite of washing me nearly with Attitude the salesclerk in parfum shop, the frag flown and go away))) Nevetheless, it is not stable enough.

Silver Shadow by Davidoff

This one has absolutely nothing to it.. it is totally unremarkable in every way, shape and form. That said, it's not offensive per se, - but it IS offensive to me in the way that it's just so mundane.

Fou d'Absinthe by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Quite simply, a paradoxical triumph - Fou d'Absinthe is gentle yet provocative, pure yet complex... Out of the entire L'Artisan collection, this was the one I HAD to have. It has everything going for it - impressive longevity for such a delicate fragrance, and incredible versatility for wear. One of the most inviting fragrances I currently own.

Encre Noire by Lalique

[Under Construction] - Original Review Under Revision - Currently Sampling

11th October, 2007 (Last Edited: 23 September, 2009)

Emporio Armani White He by Giorgio Armani

The whole presentation of EA White left me absolutely unsatisfied.

11th October, 2007 (Last Edited: 24 January, 2011)

JaimeB's avatar

KL Homme by Lagerfeld

A beautiful oriental. I saw this ibn a little perfume shop and picked it up right away. It was the last one on the shelf.

The carnation-rose-cinnamon accord is lovely; it is slightly reminiscent (to me) of Caron Bellodgia, but in a more masculine key. This would be very comforting on a gray, rainy day!

Aldehyde, Bergamot oil, Lavender, Lemon, Orange, Rosewood, Carnation, Cedarwood oil, Cinnamon, Fern, Geranium, Jasmin, Patchouli, Rose, Sandal, Amber, Benzoin, Civet, Musk, Oilbanum, Vanilla

kewart's avatar

Melograno by Santa Maria Novella

This packs a powerful punch to begin with. I do like the slightly tart smell of the grenadine/pomegranate and the powdery/incense is very unusual.
    Maybe I wouldn't wear thie every day but it would be great for a formal occasion or a winter party. Santa Maria Novella is a perfume house of quality.

kewart's avatar

Encens et Lavande by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This is pure comfort in a bottle - absolution and tranquillity rolled into one delightful package. The colour purple sings out like an angelic treble chorister in a huge gothic cathedral.The hypnotic lavender blends so softly with the slightly smoky incense and leaves me reeling like a bee satiated with pollen.
    Wear this to bed and you will sleep like a baby!

Benetton Sport Man by Benetton

Surely the estimable Senor Cavs is correct: Benetton Sport really is rather cheap and nasty.

Caesars Man by Caesars World

It is said of the notorious Lou "Five Potatoes" Barsini that he once persuaded every pharmacy in the Bronx to stock Caesars Man with the following marketing jingle:

It's fresh and clean as my ma,
    It's straight and strong as my pa,
    It's smart and cool as my bruddah
    And every one of the uddah
    Connected guys in my crew,
    So it's gotta be good news for you.
    All the guys will respect yah,
    All the goils will inspect yah,
    Caesars Man will protect yah.
    It's a class act,
    It's a lime-filled fact,
    It's high muck-a-muck,
    So don't be a schmuck,
    Go out and get some today!

Vétiver by Carven

I am impressed by the way that Monsieur Madgradrx, with precise poetic accuracy, has likened the smell of Carven Vetiver to "rainwater collecting on a plastic sheet or tarpaulin during a spring shower". (see his review below). Yet, acute as it is concerning the initial impression which Carven Vetiver conveys, this still does not quite capture the superb, balanced,slightly acrid yet enormously distinguished and mysterious aroma of this scent through its whole development, producing one of the finest gentleman's vetivers known to man (and one, so far as I can see, that the later Etro Vetiver rather slavishly imitates).
    What is less well known is that Carven Vetiver was apparently created by the Duc des Esseintes (in one of his many experiments designed to demonstrate how art can improve on nature)in seeking to reproduce by artificial chemical means the exact smell of rainwater on a plastic sheet in a spring shower. I think we should judge his experiment a complete success.

Rochas Lui by Rochas

Rich, suave juice with echoes of Habit Rouge. There is the same sense of being enveloped in a sophisticated, expensive perfume cloud, deep and dandyish. True, Rochas Lui has less of the "pink perfume citric fizz" of Habit Rouge. Rochas Lui has less of that light sparkle, more of a softly stealing "golden brown" quality - a sort of Habit Rouge feel damped down and deepened by shadowed vanilla woods.
    Imagine the Compte de Rochas, having left his stockbroker's office, ascending in the elevator to visit the apartment of his mistress. Surrounding him throughout his entire journey is this luxurious, aristocratic, slightly decadent cloud of scent.
    According to my friend Marcel, Rochas Lui puts him in mind of the generic smell of the leisured and haughty Faubourg Saint Germain society of his youth in the 1890s and early 1900s. Of course, this may be to with imagination as much as memory.

Anné Pliska by Anné Pliska

The previous reviews of Anne Pliska are what made me seek out a sample of this velvety smooth amber! And this is one time I was not disappointed! This lush symphony of notes progresses into the most luxurious dry down! It's almost decadent! My least favorite part is the opening orange ~ reminds me of children's chewable aspirin! Thankfully, that part doesn't last very long and the rest is soooooooo silky, I'm loving it!

Must de Cartier by Cartier

A powerhouse woody oriental. Predominantly dry/bitter in it's overall impression. Could be the particular vetiver used here. I think I might prefer this on a man. A little more vanilla could soften this composition a bit, but the vanilla makes too late an appearance ~ about 1-2 hours after application. On my skin this is "MUSTY de Cartier". Not wearable for me.

Aloha Tiaré / Tiaré by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

New Version:

Mild gardenia and tuberose. Not "stunning", like the gardenia in Gucci Rush or "intense" like the tuberose in Malle's Carnal Flower. Simply mild. A creamy sweet floral infused with tropical innuendo.

Eau de Mûre by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Harsh is the opening of Eau de Mure for me. Bitter green notes upstage the would be sweet & succulent blackberry. I was irritated by this...also, the musk in this blend comes off raw and dusty. Truth be told, I don't enjoy any aspect of this one.

Fleurs des Comores by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

I've been completely captivated and am totally enamoured by this exotic elixir! First off, yes ~ it does seem very much like L'Artisan's Vanilia. But the initial impression is truly the only commonality. Fleurs des Comores is full bodied, whereas Vanilia comes off thin and weak. The longevity and sillage of FdC are remarkable as well, leaving L'Artisan's creation waaaaaaaay behind. The vanilla, floral and green combo here is exquisite, delicate (but not at all weak)and is very wearable for most occassions. I must also tell you about the magnificent bottle and spraying mechanism...the bottle is heavy, thick, and shaped well to the hand. As for the sprayer ~ it gives the perfect wet mist. Generous too, not dribbly or sparse. The cap is a tad 'bling', sporting a giant faux diamond, but it's not too cheesy! For my finicky nose, Fleur des Comores satisfies and delights!

Or des Indes by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

FOETIDUS ~ you've nailed this one square on! The only thing I can add is that Or des Indes comes across as a Mitsouko wanna-be, but never even makes it out the starting gate...

Fracas by Robert Piguet

For me, Fracas is "The Garden of Eden".
    Tuberose & gardenia, lily of the valley - just a touch, creamy white florals, a rich bouquet well put together. Superb balance! Intoxicating! Tempting! Naughty, but in the most innocent sort of way! Ultimately, irresistable!

Grapefruit by Jo Malone

AYALA said it best ~ a handsomely done citrus. Bravo! Works nicely as a layering product IMO. (I might sneak a spritz onto my husband and see how that goes!)

Ambre / Amber by L'Occitane

L'Occitane's Ambre is a real social climber! Slightly smokey and vanilic, this friendly juice is sure to please. I also get quite a generous note of cedar...warm, powdery, ever so lightly spiced. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm cozy. I'd love to get my hands on the oil or EDP of this stuff; although for an inexpensive edt it has suprisingly good sillage and staying power. Perfect for autumn!

Clair de Musc by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Yikes! It's a cross between foot powder and Windsong...and I do get that "hairspray" note for sure! Like spray laquer. Cheap smelling, not worth the $$$$$!

Love In White by Creed

Crisp clean cotton sheeting sun-dried by a lakeside breeze. Virginal - pure & completely innocent. The white floral's tendency here is clear, bright and delicate. On my own skin it dries a bit soapy, and harsh. Stark. Even so, I cannot say anything bad about this one! Wish I could wear it, I'll just have to enjoy it on some passer-by...

Jasmin de Nuit by Different Company

Mostly, I can relate to the review written by Goddess_Dreams! I call this perfume the "peek a boo jasmine"! Sometimes you smell it, and sometimes you don't. Well, the jasmine IS in there. It's just shameful how that poor little jasmine flower just gets overpowered by the plethora of spices found in this Cinnabar like foundation. Don't get me wrong, this juice is lovely, but I hold a distinct preference for the straight up, in your face, raw and unmistakable jasmine of Luten's A LA NUIT! If you take your jasmine fully embellished ~ you might like this one by Different Co.

Délices de Cartier Eau Fruitée by Cartier

Thankfully, this delicious fruity floral veers from the commonplace! Tangy rhubarb tops the heart with a morello cherry/jasmine combo making this a scrumptious treat. Amber and sandalwood anchor the base softly. Overall, this is a close wearing scent - free from patchouli. Yummy! Not over the top (like Pleasures Delight) Cartier has gotten this one just right!

tvlampboy's avatar

Shalimar by Guerlain

Sexy but not sultry. Bright but not cheerful. Spicy but not piquant. Exotic but not outlandish. In a word: PERFECTION.

Truly proof positive that Guerlain's greatest strength is and has always been its masterful use of vanilla.

I can see Shalimar on just about any woman over 18, and I cannot imagine a world without it.

It can easily be a unisex frag, too, as I can personally attest. It's very spicy on my skin, and not at all cloying or overly sweet. I'd probably shy away from the eau de parfum or perfume, yes, but the edt suits me perfectly.

Get a bottle. Keep a bottle. Pass it on.

tvlampboy's avatar

Eau des Vanilliers by L'Occitane

Perfect for fans of the gourmand. A little out of character for L'Occitane, though, I must say.

The vanilla here is not entirely gourmand, mind you -- it's (to my nose, anyway) the sexy, floral vanilla mixed very nicely with the tasty variety.

I put it on my swap list because I, try as I might, just couldn't make it work on my skin -- unisex it wasn't. (Not that it was ever meant to be.) Give me my Shalimar edt and I'm in the vanilla place I need to be.