Fragrance Reviews from October 2007

L'Ombre dans L'Eau by Diptyque

Diptyque is currently pulling some odd tricks on my nose. My first umpteen sniffs of L'Ombre were disturbing... I smelled sharp, dank, muddy, rosy, and green. This was offensive; I didn't want to smell sharp, dank, muddy, rose, and green. Yet my recent scented "reminders" of how much I adore the smell of pond water and rose did something odd to my brain. Now, L'Ombre rocks my world (and, very soon, I'm sure, my pockets too...) It's rose and pond water. Seriously, who could wish for more?!

Ofrésia by Diptyque

Excepting my experiences with the flower, I never once thought of myself as a "freesia" gal. In fact, I never knew anyone besides BBW did a freesia scent... I just took it for a cheapie note that could be done however one would do it. Boy, howdy, was I mistaken.
    I received a sweet little decant from my dear sister in scent (Dear K, my nose now trusts your every decision! :) What can I say; I've been instructed in the way that a freesia should "behave." I don't know why this flower likes my nose so much, but it does...and I wouldn't mind having more of it for my nose to appreciate. Thumbs up, all the way.

parfums*PARFUMS Series 5 Sherbet: Peppermint by Comme des Garçons

Hmm. This was not what I'd wanted it to be. I wanted it to be that peppermint that actually lasted... a scent that had a longer life than AA Herba Fresca and Mentafollia. It's nice, but for THIS price tag, mamma needs it to last a great deal longer.

Eva by Santa Maria Novella

YES! I cannot get enough of this scent. It smells so off-putting in the sample vial... yet after two minutes on your skin, it smells almost identical to some wonderful Italian unisex scent that I worshipped several years ago... (still not sure what scent that was, but the men wore it well and the ladies wore it gracefully.) It's very clean, very crisp, somewhat citrusy, and reminds me somewhat of Neutrogena's Face Lotion (and soap, etc) for Men-- one of my favorite scents ever. I would REALLY love to have a full bottle of this, while it's still (hopefully) around.

Jour de Fête by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Ooooooo..... angel-food numminess. This is everything I've ever wanted a gourmand to be: light, airy, fluffy, well-whipped, subtle in its sweetness, and overwhelmed by egg whites! If egg whites had a scent... (hmmmm!)

I have yet to try any of the Demeter cake scents (other than Vanilla Cake Batter, which is a *wee* bit too buttery, but still a great gourmand); I can only HOPE they smell this lovely. Angel-food cake. I'm smitten.

Amandes Orientales by Montale

Waaaayyyy too sweet. I need more almond and less amaretto + bandaid. This may work well on someone else's skin, but on mine, it turns to "big scary monster."

Cuir Venenum 03 by Parfumerie Generale

Oooooh. No. This just doesn't make sense. I don't know if I'm wearing grape soda, cough syrup, or...um, blueberry syrup. From reading the reviews, I shouldn't be having any of these responses. To my mind (and nose), this means that there is no reason for keeping this around--and oh, for the love of all things holy, discontinuing a masterpiece such as Bois Blond. However, if I ever have a "wild hair" that creates a certain itch for grape/blueberry flavored beer, I know which scent sample I'll reach for.

Estée Super by Estée Lauder

Ah, for the good ol' days! This feminine powerhouse could eat Acqua di Gio for lunch, and easily polish off Tommy Girl for dessert.

White Linen by Estée Lauder

Clean, soapy, feminine white floral -- easily a Lauder classic. Probably a better choice for casual days -- very light, airy and soft.

Spellbound by Estée Lauder

Rich, mature Oriental -- very out of its place and time, though. One would almost think this an early Seventies creation, not a Nineties one. Love it!

Metropolis by Estée Lauder

A little too much sage for my tastes - this one always came out smelling very pharmaceutical on me. Still, Lord knows it had (and has!) its devotees. I'll give it up a thumbs-up, but only with the proviso that Metropolis and I never got along.

Intuition for Men by Estée Lauder

Pardon me for snoring in public.

Beyond Paradise for Men by Estée Lauder

Gee -- a fruity aquatic in a metrosexual bottle. How very original.

PASS.

BlackAmberMoon's avatar

Hanae Mori (new / Butterfly) by Hanae Mori

I echo the sentiments of Nlb's poetic review. This is an absolutely beautiful perfume which deserves time to develop on the skin to appreciate all its charms. It is one of my absolute favorite comfort scents, and never fails to lift my spirits. Just wonderful.

BlackAmberMoon's avatar

Magical Moon by Hanae Mori

Magical Moon is a wonderful addition to Hanae Mori's fragrance line. I agree with the other positive reviews here: this is a complex, rich fragrance that reeks of sophistication and mystery. A must try if you like florientals. Stunning bottle.

kbe's avatar

Havana Reserva by Aramis

Very spicey opening, followed by an added dimension of rum-soaked cigar ash and then slowly evolving into the familiar 'classic' Havana smoke-and-spice vanillic fruit, faintly alcoholic afterglow. Lasts for hours. Different from 'regular' Havana but yet so much the same. Classy and utterly delicious.

fusion's avatar

Visit by Azzaro

One of my favorite fragrances a 10 in my opinion a fragrance best used on romantic occasions women enjoy to cuddle when I wear this and thats not a bad thing

Allure Eau de Toilette by Chanel

This fragrance smells afwul on my skin! I tried it at the airport just before flying, felt literally sick during the whole flight!! Sooo powdery, so heavy (although I had sprayed only once?!). I want to give it one more try with Allure Sensuelle, I've heard it's a lot softer and a bit sweeter, but the original Allure is definitely not working for me...

Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel

When I first tried Coco Mademoiselle, it was love at first sight... But it seems that half of Belgium is wearing it, so it kind of put me off! I definitely want to wear it again one day though, it has become a very classy classic after all. Too bad many new fragrances smell alike... (e.g. Chérie from Dior, Prada Tendre).

Pleasures by Estée Lauder

This is definately a fragrance that should suit your skin chemistry. Works wonderfully well on me, I get a lot of compliments when wearing it, but Pleasures can smell overwhelmingly and even disturbingly flowery if it doesn't match your skin. One of my favourites!

L by Lolita Lempicka

I can imagine that this fragrance puts off a lot of people: it is VERY sweet and sugary indeed, and can be highly disturbing when sprayed on too much. This kind of fragrances are generally not my cup of tea at all, I even hate the original Lolita Lempicka, but attracted by the beautiful bottle I decided to give it a (tiny little shy) try last week... And I have to admit: it suits my skin very well!! I didn't feel nautious (which I often experience with sweet scents), I loved the fresh start notes, it lasted for a whole day and most of all it smelt really "gourmand" and sensual on me. I might even buy it! But will give it one more try first ;-) Definitely a fragrance to wear in "small doses", but delicious if it matches your skin.

irish's avatar

Mexico Mexico

Virgin Island Water by Creed

meh... coconut, lime and salt; it makes me hungry. In my opinion it is not worth the money as it is just too bland, simple, unimaginative. Compared to Erolfa, SMW, and MI, this scent is a rather mediocre creation from creed. TRue, they improved the longevity but they delivered linearity. I can think of many scents under $30 that smell more complex and distinctive (Including a couple of CK's).

cecile.johns's avatar

Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès

i love both of the "jardins"; "mediterranee" is my "mitsouko", and "sur le nil" is my "joy".

chimera45's avatar

Sunset Heat for Men by Escada

It smells like star fruit-ish and melon notes.. Sweet and fresh in a subtle woody way... Sampled it today and couldn't stop smelling my hand.. Very nice addition for summer..

NouvelleVague's avatar

parfums*PARFUMS Series 7 Sweet: Nomad Tea by Comme des Garçons

As one of the few dissenters here, I loved this. It actually works well with my skin chemistry. On me the mint fades quickly, leaving me with a smokey tea/leaves scent, with a tinge of lemon, tobacco and marijuana.

Siongo06's avatar

Dunhill for Men by Dunhill

This fragance is amazing...very manly..smells clean. You have to be driving a Mercedes Sports Car then spray this!!!

I'll recommend that to anyone who wears this.. This is not recommended to anybody.. but to a Wealthy Man

Joe_Frances's avatar

L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer

Early evening desert winds refresh the punished air as an ineffable smoky offering to the Eternal God wafts into the village spice sellers shop, in a simple cedar building at the edge of a trading oasis. He stops from his tasks recognizing the lambent serene presence that has come to him, and he prays with those afar off, looking out at the sky blending purple-blue with pink, and the same holy inspiration comes to me, as I lift my tired head from the computer screen at Eliot's violet hour in the Big City.

23 October, 2007 (Last Edited: 06 December, 2010)

4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser by 4711

I find the opening accord to be too sharp, not very refined, synthetic... I guess "screechy" would be the proper term. And, counter-intuitively, it is also weak. If I use a lot to make up for the weakness, it gets cloying. I've loved most citrus / herb colognes I've tried because they usually have such a bright, fresh feeling. Not so with Kölnisch Wasser... the combination of citrus and rosemary comes across as quite muddled and without the clean definition an accord like this usually has. The rose note that is exposed in the middle accord is all right, but I find it too recessive and short lasting. I don’t get any of the base notes because the whole fragrance is totally gone within a half hour, which gives me a sense of relief. Kölnisch Wasser may have history behind it, but there are so many colognes that are better than this - and some not necessarily so much more expensive. I would recommend Fraganard's Eau de Hongrie or Roger & Gallet's Extra Vieille as much better fragrances... not to mention all the wonderful Guerlain colognes.

23 October, 2007 (Last Edited: 28 January, 2011)

Very Irrésistible for Men by Givenchy

A quick blast of grapefruit and mint very quickly joined by hazelnut and chocolate. It’s nice — the mint is a bit much at first but doesn’t stay in control for very long. The hazelnut is not especially stand-outish and the mocha has a rich chocolaty smell to my nose. I think the sesame seed adds a bit of smokiness to the middle accord. All of these notes add up to an attractive and well-designed presentation. The top and middle accords occur almost concurrently. I rather like Very Irresistible for Men—it’s more interesting than all too many of the recent fragrances; it has pleasant accords — especially the chocolate one — even with its synthetic ambiance. It has good longevity and sillage. I, too, find it similar to Guerlain's L’Instant but its not nearly as good. Although it isn't the sensual and mysterious fragrance it is advertised to be, Very Irresistible is an acceptable scent. I vote a neutral with a nod towards a thumbs up.

23 October, 2007 (Last Edited: 27 August, 2011)

CoL's avatar

Donald Trump The Fragrance by Donald Trump

Ok its obvioulsy not the best mens scent available, but its rather nice! I bought it blind and was expecting some horrible mess like Hilfiger Athletics. Pleasent citrusy scent with a wamer drydown. Not terribly spicy but very easy to wear. Pleasent and fresh. Good office wear if you dont want to stand out!

24 October, 2007