Fragrance Reviews from October 2007

Provocative Woman by Elizabeth Arden

I love the way it smells 45 minutes later - it becomes rather yummy and semi sweet, semi watery fresh.

I am keen to try it out again.

Vintage Gardenia with Cardamom & Myrrh by Jo Malone

I reluctantly tried this on my skin. Think Versace Blond but a lot LOT nicer.

Never going to be for me, but it is very nice as far as gardenia goes so if you love gardenia, definitely try it out.

Fantasy by Britney Spears

TOTALLY DELICIOUS - i will never wear it thought... every 14 year old girl has it.

I wish it had been put under a different name :-(

Provocative Interlude by Elizabeth Arden

I agree with the gourmand part, it kind of dries down and after 1 hour smells vaguely similar to Pink Sugar.

Not my thing, I like gourmand but I am getting bored with it. It's so worth a try if you are into sweet fragrances.

markc's avatar

Ambre Canelle by Creed

Complex. Great evolution here. It starts out pretty heavy with something that smells a bit on the feminine side. The drydown though, as others have said, changes and often. Spice, ambergris, musk, all take turns like children on a sliding board. Decent longevity and projection.

Cedro / Cedar by Acca Kappa

A wispy dream of cedar beside the pale lemon groves. Slight but perfect of its kind. (de Charlus).

Garofano by Lorenzo Villoresi

The Baron de Charlus once told me: "I recall the time when I was a houseguest at the Firenze villa of Lorenzo Villoresi, the master perfumier and philosopher. Leading me into his airy laboratory above the rooftops, he liberally sprayed me with Garofano and inquired as to its effects.
    "Mon cher maitre," I responded, "much as I admire your angelic Yerbamate, your spiritual Wild Lavender, the medieval frankness of your Spezie,the refined coca cola reminiscences of your Piper Nigrum, the eau de cologne quintessence of your Dilmun, the embroidered de Medici intrigues of your Incensi, I fear that with Garofano you have overreached yourself. An initial thrust of carnation is soon overcome and bewildered by a swamp of rotting flowers and slightly leathery spices. Poetic, if you will, but a sickly-stale poetry of the rubbish heap, the death bed and decay."

1869 by Acca Kappa

Curiously located somewhere between a timeless fairytale and the mid-1800s, Acca Kappa's 1869 puts me in mind of a Bavarian village of around that date. The Lord descends from his manor; the goose girl blushes but nevertheless gives him an accusing look. Their poetic love child, steeped in mystery and tradition: Acca Kappa 1869. (de Charlus).

ordai's avatar

Finland Finland

Ange ou Démon by Givenchy

I love thisone.
    Only hoping its could be more powerfull, like stronger. But at work this is fine, Oriental feel...

Unluckyly the small bottle leak totally to my bag, but well, at least I can fell fragance even I dont wear it every day.

rach2jlc's avatar

Les Nuits d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal

I think that those who are fond of the vanilla/sandalwood sweetness of Chanel Egoiste will also love this one. In fact, the first time I smelled it, I thought that this is what "Egoiste for Summer" might smell like (if such a thing existed), given the similar bases but the addition of the citrus over top in the Goutal.

All around, very pleasant, but it IS sweet. If you like your citrus very foul and pungent (ala Eau d'hermes or Malle Bigarade), this one may not be a good fit for you.

But, in the quest for the fully rounded citrus wardrobe, this one is essential.

LiveJazz's avatar

Bois du Portugal by Creed

Wow, this one absolutely deserves every bit of the raving hype it gets. I have a definite weak spot for dry spicy woods fragrances, and this once certainly fits the bill. It's the best in the category that I've smelled. Like Caron's Third Man, this one changes an unbelievable amount through the drydown. Both start out dominated by lavender, but while Third Man turns warm, sweet, thick, and almost damp, Bois du Portugal is like a sauna.

I get a very strong incense accord after the lavender fades, and this sticks around and gets spicier for a few hours. I felt like I needed a glass of water. Gradually, a very light powder note appears. This stays completely in the background though. The spice and woods definitely dominate, but now they take on a soapy oakmoss character. I've smelled an accord like this before in Divine's L'Homme Sage. It's a sweeter drydown there, but both are oakmoss beasts as far as I can tell.

I find BdP to be very charismatic and wearable in small doses...a streamlined beast that never tries to be too many things at once.

purplebird7's avatar

Laila by Geir Ness

Very interesting. I am not a fruity floral wearer, but the melon note paired with this wildflower bouquet was a success. I give it a thumbs up even though I do not wear this genre (I am a chypre and Oriental wearer) because, the next day, I was smelling it on my clothes and kept wondering what smelled so good. You guessed it. It was the Laila. Long-lasting but not in the least overpowering.

dubyahjay's avatar

Tom Ford for Men by Tom Ford

unbelievable. tom ford is simply a genius. buy if you have sampled any of his other creations such as rive gauche etc. although not a fan of m7 this shows the man's talent. sillage and longevity both very good.

Eau Grise by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

Zizanie by Fragonard, meet a bit of civet. Bit of civet, meet Zizanie by Fragonard.

Dry, powdery, long-lasting stuff -- INSANELY similar (but also superior to) Fragonard's Zizanie. Pity this unisex CSP was discontinued. (I'll definitely be looking for more!)

Rochas Man by Rochas

An amazing gourmand -- and those are words I don't use very often together. Superb frag for both office and casual wear alike. Sexy but accessible.

BIG thumbs up, but get it while you can -- Rochas is no more.

Echo by Davidoff

Three words: utter aquatic ennui.

CK In 2U Him by Calvin Klein

Hate to sound juvenile, but, uh, YUK.

cK one Summer 2007 by Calvin Klein

Really far better than I expected. (And trust me, my expectations were quite low to begin with.)

A very pleasant little citrus. Andrew's right, btw -- the drydown is somewhat reminiscent of Dior's Dune for Men.

Hei by Alfred Sung

Hei comes across as a standard bergamot/jasmine/cistus with tea. As most have stated, the citrus/floral (nice) aspect dried down way too fast and as a few have stated, the cistus was tenacious as hell. I occasionally get whiffs of the mint/fennel components but on my skin they are nothing compared to the cistus.
    Altogether it lacks depth and development. Big yawn.
    Concerto by Fragonard is quite similar and much, much more interesting.

Aventure by Il Profumo

This juice is aptly titled. It is truly an adventure albeit a very short lived one. Musically, I would compare it to Shoegaze; cinematically like Antonioni. It needs time and space to envelop you with large, shifting vibrations. I think those who expect overtly dynamic fragrances will find Aventure too subtle. Those who appreciate less posture will enjoy the solful adventure. Aventure is very natural, slightly sweet, citrus-y, spicy, floral, incens-y, and a warm/cool leather fragrance. My only caveat is that it was not as tenacious as I would have hoped. I have not compared it to the G 11. Definitely sample first.
    Aventure dries down, very quickly, to a soft amber/musk accord. I would definitely buy this if it had more tenacious heart and base notes. Too bad, because it is quite unique and spacious.

L'Eau de Jatamansi by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I find it interestingly natural in a carnation-like manner but way too spicy for my taste. Average tenacity and sillage. The persistent heart accord of cardamom and rose is the main feature on my skin. I wear a lot of florals and find this to be verging on the feminine side of unisex (mixte). The organic quality is definitely evident and appreciable but not enough for me to consider a purchase due to the high spice content.

odysseusm's avatar

Trafalgar by Truefitt & Hill

I’ve tried Trafalger for two days in a row and I like it. The blue colour is a bit misleading, since it – along with the name – suggests a marine/fresh type of scent. Nothing of the sort! As the T&F blurb says, this is a spicy wood fragrance. Ah, but what kind of spice? Various theories have been suggested below. The prevailing theory to date identifies the spice as cardamom, for me a sweetlyh delicate spice...I don’t think it is here. One person suggested cilantro; however this is properly classed as an herb since it is the green leaves of the cilantro plant. These have an extremely piercing and strong quality, like parsley on steroids. Anyone who has tasted these in a curry or Mexican food will remember that experience! No one suggested coriander (the dried seeds of the cilantro plant), which could be part of the mix with their peppery yet delicate scent, which is slightly nutty and woody. However, my leading suggestion is cumin, a bitter spice which in shape and profile is a bit like caraway. I definitely smell that here, perhaps with a bit of coriander. Other elements... the citrus-lime opening is very nice, fresh, a bit salty. The base note of cedar is remarkable, just like pencil shavings (in a pleasant way). Others have remarked on the jasmine, for me it is a background/softening element rather than something noteworthy in its own right. As I said, I like this, it is an interesting scent. Cumin may not be to everyone’s taste. However, Trumper’s Eucris is another cumin scent, and it is exceptional!

fusion's avatar

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

I never liked this one to me it smells like roach spray I tried it several times but it's a no no for me

fusion's avatar

Armani Attitude by Giorgio Armani

I really like this scent this is in my opinion the summer version of B*MEN by Thierry Mugler longevity is a little bit of an issue but still gets a thumbs up way up

Beakywitch's avatar

England England

Obsession by Calvin Klein

To me this fragrance is orangey and peppery and ambery. I like fragrances which stand out from all the rest and this one does just that. It seems to suit the winter time very well because it is very warming and when I wear it I feel like I am glowing. It's long lasting and delicious in some kind of sweet, foody sort of way. It's like candied peel, black peppercorns and Earl Grey tea. Wearing it is like sitting by a huge roaring fire in a big, old house while Jack Frost is busy painting every blade of grass outside.

LaurenStDavid's avatar

Curious by Britney Spears

Like so many people here, I was reluctant to try this fragrance because of its' association with Britney Spears. I hate everything she stands for and I've avoided her line of perfumes. But finally I found this at an incredible bargain that made it hard to ignore. I decided if I didn't like it, maybe my daughter would get some use of it. Let me just say I wish I'd tried it sooner. It's a perfectly lovely fragrance, and this is coming from a woman in her mid 30's. It's very summery and light, and to my nose, it's very similar to Tommy Girl, for at least half the price. I definitely give this a thumbs up.

Marthy's avatar

Mariella Burani by Mariella Burani

I have worn this for many years, always receiving compliments from men an women alike. Funny you mention YSL because that was one of my alternate favorites.

fleursdumal's avatar

FlowerbyKenzo by Kenzo

Originally intending to buy the EdP, I decided instead to plump for the Le Parfum satin spray after reading glowing reviews of it here. We must be smelling a different product. Yuk! What a horror. "Satin" is about all they could call the consistency since it defies description; a slightly greasy look and feel; it certainly isn't perfume proper. It could pass for a perfumed deodorant. Probably as a result of its slightly gloopy texture, it has no depth or staying power at all; if my nose is more than a couple of inches away from my wrist, I can barely smell it. It dries to almost nothing and can be wiped off the wrist. Spraying it on my clothes, it fares slightly better but not much. The smell is thin and linear; it lacks all of the body, cleanliness, warmth and complexity (such as it is) and of the EdP and instead dries to a trickle of dirty, stale vanilla fudge. Basically, I smell as if I've been baking toffee cookies including the fetidity of kitchen silage. Yuk! Avoid unless you have money to burn. It is going back on ebay!

fleursdumal's avatar

Elle by Yves Saint Laurent

When I first sniffed this, I nearly gagged; it is sickly synthetic; STRONG. Seriously pungent in the YSL style. I resisted spraying it on myself in the interests of good taste and the people that I was travelling on public transport with. On another visit to the department store, I decided to give it a spray and forgot about it. Later that day, I found myself strangely drawn to its warm woodiness. It is one of those fragrances that you spray on a card and leave in a pocket or a handbag for a few days and begin to wonder what the nice smell is wafting upwards..

After about an hour or so, when the worst excesses of the sickly sweetness has died off, the warm woodiness of the patchouli and vetiver begin to appear. Leave it for longer and it smells even better. But beware, only a long distance spray is required or a soupcon on your clothes otherwise you could clear a room pretty quickly. I have a little tester, but whether or not I will indulge in a full bottle remains to be seen; it has major headache potential and a weighty price tag.

Judging by the ad campaign, elle is targeted at a 20 something market. However, I think it is suitable for almost any age as long as it is sprayed sparingly...

jeffrey's avatar

Tom Ford for Men by Tom Ford

After wearing Tom Ford's Black Orchid off and on for a while I was really anticipating his latest Tom Ford For Men. What I liked about B O was it's longevity. TF for M smells great and is masculine but the downside is it does not last more than 20 minutes. Very dissapointing.