Fragrance Reviews from October 2007

FullCircle's avatar

Saks Fifth Avenue for Her by Bond No. 9

Lordy...I dislike this fragrance! Much too floral, and I love floral...at least in the summertime. It was a wash off fragrance for me, and even then, I couldn't get it all off. Sillage is off the charts. I hate to be obvious when I wear perfume, and hate it when others subject me to, and leave me gagging, with their personal choices. I can say this was top-heavy...all floral, no middle or base (the vanilla never came through for me as long as I could stand it on my wrists.) Sickeningly sweet and unbalanced. Not for me!
    Notes: Jasmine, Tuberose, Gardenia, Vetiver, Vanilla

29 October, 2007

L'Essence de Must de Cartier by Cartier

L'Essence de Must de Cartier Pour Homme made me sit up and take notice. I almost always end up seriously valuing Cartier fragrances, but it usually takes me many wearings to come to that appreciation. L’Essence de Must was different for me because it was love at first sniff: So fresh and yet so richly Oriental; spicy with an unusual ginger / cinnamon accord; a soft but rich patchouli holding the background depth. It has a lush woody drydown — cedar, patchouli, and vetiver — smooth and deep and long lasting. The whole scent enjoyable, and it is the longest lasting Cartier I’ve so far encountered — lasts even longer than Santos Concentree. (End of first review.)

In retrospect, my first line in the review tells me that I should have tested this one more often even though I had originally purchased a mini for testing. As opposed to my other favorite Cartiers, I fell in love with this one instantly. I purchased a larger bottle, and I still love the accords, but I found I did not like to WEAR this particular scent... I find it a little too cloying with extended and prolonged wearings. I should have purchased Roadster instead. (EDITED... Changed from a thumbs up.)

29 October, 2007 (Last Edited: 20th August, 2011)

odysseusm's avatar

Bois d'Hiver by Ayala Moriel

(revised review)
    Top: juniper berry, cedarwood, bitter orange
    Mid: orange blossom, rose, jasmine, pimento berry
    Base: frankincense, myrrh, balsam tolu, fir absolute

This scent is a revised version of an earlier scent by Ayala, Fete D'Hiver pour Homme (not to be confused with Fete D'Hiver). Ayala has upped the ante here, not only adding more elements but in some cases increasing their quality (e.g., using absolutes). Thus we have a very memorable, special scent.

Bois d’Hiver is stunning and lovely! It has a bright, slightly medicinal opening due to the lively juniper. Woods and orange warm up the tonic, and orange provides the transition to a lovely floral heart which is haunting but not sweet. The base is very woody with some satisfying incense notes and hints of conifer. The scent overall is dark and compelling; it seems masculine to me in its assertive tones and lack of sweetness, but a woman could happily wear it.

29 October, 2007 (Last Edited: 11th December, 2012)

Vanilla Coconut by Susanne Lang

Just who created this wonderful scent? Thanks to S.L. This total femme fragrance is a master piece of light, femme and pleasant powdery with hints of milky cream. Very well blended to each other where it does not smell like Vanilla AND Coconut, instead it just blends together. That hints of vanilla, powder, creamy..all in one. Couple of S.L. fragrance that I noticed that her fragrance is so well blended, I had hard time figure out the top and base notes. Smells like middle note only. Master piece; if you adore semi sweet fragrant.

Cashmere by Susanne Lang

Do you adore Cashmere mist by Donna Karen? Do you like L'air du temps by Nina Ricci? It's almost similar, so feminine and powdery. With many S.L.'s fragrance, I do not smell much of the opening and finishing notes. Her fragrance is so well blended, a amusing middle notes. Either wearing it alone or layering is just perfect! A neutral thumb is giving due to my BF's complaint that I smell like an elder lady..

Lotus Blossom by Susanne Lang

Light scent. Mild and seduce..hm..Blend lotus and feminine neutral powdery.. Very well blended, hints of euphoria minus the opening and the finishing. It's so well blended that I can't smell any top notes or base notes. It's a really nice fragrant to layring with something that give more characteristics.

Vanilla Champagne by Susanne Lang

Do you love Chanel No.5? Do you adore Gucci No. 2? Are you that aldehyde fanatic? If the answers are yes, you may love this. This feminine fragrant is almost suducing, men would crash over..WARNING: Men may follow this scent! Another master piece S.L. created is almost unbeLOVable. Good for office and fancy night out! Only I had to give this fragrance neutral because the aldehyde is almost synthetically plasty and makes me dizzy. I might try another month and see.

markc's avatar

Eau des Îles by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Very dry and bitter. Very interesting. Smokey coffee, spices, somewhat harsh but a different harshness than slightly similar L'Artisan Navagateur, which I get a bit of a B.O. note from. The only reason I'm not looking for a bottle of it, is the fact that I'm way over quota as it is.

Naed_Nitram's avatar

Dunhill for Men by Dunhill

The Baron de Charlus once told me: "It was in a Hampshire churchyard that I first encountered the original Dunhill for Men (1934). It emanated from an elderly and aristocratic-looking clergyman, complete with tweeds and pipe, who was busy poking his walking stick at dandelions among the tombstones.
    Drawing rather too close for his comfort, I proceeded to sniff at him prodigiously. 'A somewhat timid tincture,' I pronounced, 'but nonetheless perfectly balanced in its reticence: a conservative combination that manages to be quietly ecstatic in its progressive fusions of citrus, florals and restrained leather. As the admirable Foetidus has remarked, it demands superlatives, although personally I would prefer just a touch more strength and duration.'
    'Excellent, my dear fellow,' replied the reverend gentleman rather nervously, somewhat disconcerted by my close proximity, 'jolly good show and all that. But perhaps you and the admirable Foetidus should go back to from where you came, lest, God forbid, something unseemly should chance to happen.'"

Naed_Nitram's avatar

Victor by Victor

The Baron de Charlus once told me: "It was on the South Coast of England that I first encountered Victor Club, Victor's more elevated and distinguished brother. I found myself by chance in a seaside resort - perhaps it was Bournemouth, perhaps it was Torquay - the haunt of that brigade of retired bank managers and elderly small businessmen who invariably dress in symphonies of grey or beige whilst perambulating between the golf club, the Rotary Club and regimental reunions.
    As one of their number passed me by, the smell of Victor Club wafted towards my nostrils, lemony fresh, decent and kindly, yet with a distinct air of quiet woody authority.
    It put me in mind of more innocent times, certainly vanished and possibly purely imaginary: when bicycles had no gears, television sets were hardly invented, it rained often but always respectably, family picnics were held on the South Downs, and the English middle classes pursued eccentric but sober hobbies in their garden sheds."

purplebird7's avatar

Eau de Camille by Annick Goutal

I was introduced to this fine fragrance during a blind test here on Basenotes. It was presented as part of the Green family, but it is fresh with green notes, rather than heavy. The leafy topnotes of wet grass and ivy are mild but insistent and remind me of linden. Overall, it is woody, floral, rich, and sweet. This perfume is gorgeous. I pick up distinct spiciness and woodiness, but I cannot explain why. Nor will I ever obtain an explanation, as it appears to have been discontinued--no longer listed on Annick Goutal's website, which makes me upset and angry.

purplebird7's avatar

GreenTeasensations by The Healing Garden

I was introduced to this as part of a blind test on Basenotes. It was part of the Green category. I did not like it. I could not smell an actual green note, but rather, an annoying, synthetic apple note. Also, there seemed to be something peppery and herbal. It was clean, wet, and spare. In the end, the apple note went away, leaving the peppery green note. It did not smell natural to me, nor did it smell much like tea.

LeMâle's avatar

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

I hate this fragrance. It smells like some sick type of medicine. Yuck.

no4a's avatar

Russian Federation Russian Federation

Shania Starlight by Stetson

this fragrance shocked me. i thought i'd hate it. any celeb launched perfumes always remind me of sticky candy or migranes. this one is clean laundry in a bottle to me. fresh, fresh, fresh. great for work.

Nan's avatar

Ice*Men by Thierry Mugler

I love this fragrance. Honestly I find it masculine, sexy and almost edible without being to sweet or feminine. I agree with libertine that it is the A*Men summer flash rebranded, but I find this has more of a chocolate undertone wherease A*Men has more of a licorice undertone. The bottles are actually the same for both fragrances.

Lille Kra's avatar

Norway Norway

Emporio Armani Diamonds by Giorgio Armani

For once I was going to buy myself a new perfume. I had already read some about Diamonds and wanted to try it, though I didn't really expect it to "be me". I kept smelling my wrist for the next 30 minutes, considering wether or not to buy it. I just fell in love with it, and two weeks later I found myself buying the body lotion as well.
    It's a sweet fragrance and, I think, a bit heavy without the headache I've gotten from several other perfumes. It's definetely worth a try, if nothing else.

drumana's avatar

Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

Not a bad scent, per se, but I used to wear it in 6th grade and it reminds me of. . . well, 6th grade. I'd feel like I'm regressing if I wore it

drumana's avatar

Burt's Bees Natural Skin Care for Men Cologne by Burt's Bees

Citrus, bergamot, patchouli, woodsy notes, some spice. Smells 'natural' and earthy. Not offensive. It lasts a long time on me - a little goes a long way - and it's affordable.

sniffman's avatar

Pino Silvestre by Silvestre

I had this fragrance but hadn't smelled it in a long time. It smells like old BO.

JaimeB's avatar

Version Homme by Ulric de Varens

Nice scent. It comes off as nothing special at first, just a citrus scent with a little herbalness and spice in the top notes. The special part is in the drydown. There the more skillful accords become evident. The freshness remains, but richer notes of lavender and jasmine emerge , and oakmoss and amber and rich woody notes follow:

Tangerine, Grapefruit, Lavender, Spice, Jasmine, Oakmoss, Amber, Guaiacwood.

Lomani by Lomani

Not a bad one. Very cheap, but smells very similar to Drakkar. However, this stuff is much cheaper. Probably worth it, but nothing special here guys.

Passion for Men by Elizabeth Taylor

way too average. way too cheap smelling, way too synthetic. do not buy, cheap cologne.

Carlo Corinto Rouge by Carlo Corinto

This is perhaps the most shocking blind purchase I have ever had. This juice is amazing, absolutely unreal. It is so powerful and sexy. I am in shock, because it is easy the best Rouge out there. Givenchy is good, but this rouge is just amazing. It smells like the powerful 80's scent, but with a twist of the 90's. Sexy, powerful, this is so much better than people think. I hate those new light fresh scents - and trust me - this stuff is not one of them. Power scent here guys.

markc's avatar

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

Resides in my Top 10. I first wore this when it came out, and whenever I did friends of mine would say I was wearing the celery smelling cologne today. Not sure I ever understood that. Wonderful opening, uttlerly raw and masculine. I just wished it lasted a bit longer. I wonder how I lived without this from about 1994-2000. Will always have a bottle of this at the ready.

sophywt's avatar

China China

Heiress by Paris Hilton

This one is for teenage girls, absolutely.

I agree with castorpollux ~ It's girly, smells like bubblegum somehow, a little bit too fake and cheap ~ but i like it that way. It reminds me of my childhood, my barbie dolls, all those childish dreams i had as a little girl. On this point, it's not a bad one.

Cadence Commiphora's avatar

Pink Grapefruit by Floris

I'm into orientals and chypres, but I was curious about the sandalwood mixed with such a bright citrus. And since my friend is selling off his worldly goods preparing for a sojourn in China, I bought the EDT from his stash of fragrances.

Well, I'm wearing it now, and I keep thinking---

Laundry soap.... really nice laundry soap, but-- laundry soap.

Anyone else get this hit?

Chemicus's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Elements Aqua by Hugo Boss

The top- and midnotes disappear very quickly. The base is a mix of sandalwood, synthetic sweetness, and a hint of patchouli. Doesn't sound too bad but Hugo Boss simply didn't get it right this time.

Chemicus's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Slightly medicinal topnotes followed by dry, short-lived heartnotes. The basenotes are better: woods, smoke, incense, and amber. Quite warm but not very original. In fact, the main problem with this one is its lack of creativity. Nothing interesting going on at all.

Box of Delights's avatar

Agent Provocateur by Agent Provocateur

Yeuurgh!! This perfume is foul smelling and icky.I can't pinpoint the smell but it is so awful. Some shampoos smell of this and it makes me want to run from that smell. It is certainly not sweet or even feminine. I can't understand why anyone would want to wear this one.

jrd4t's avatar

Coney Island by Bond No. 9

I love this fragrance. It's light and casual and the sweetness is not at all overbearing. I get great longevity out of it (I could still detect it 12 hours later).
    The opening is a huge burst of warm citrus. The caramel and chocolate keep the bright opening from being thin or too sharp, but it still makes your mouth water.
    Very much a thumbs up from me.